Windows 8 opinions, buying a new laptop

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mikey4

Windows 8 opinions, buying a new laptop

Post by mikey4 »

hey all I'm looking to buy a new laptop since my old 1 is from 2002. I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on the new windows 8 operating system. I'm definitely a PC guy over Mac but as far as that should I be looking into Windows 8 like will it be the next new thing going forward? I've heard that there's a decent learning curve involved and I think some businesses are switching to it so I kind of wonder if it's only a matter of time before its fully integrated. personally I believe XP was the best. so does anyone have this os that can offer some guidance?
STC

Re: Windows 8 opinions, buying a new laptop

Post by STC »

Windows 8 is garbage. Go Mac, be happy.
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

I use Windows 8 every day. The metro interface is garbage unless you have a touch screen. If you don't, Start 8 is available for$5 and removes the metro touch experience. You end up with a computer that feels exactly like Windows 7.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

W7 is reasonably stable now. I waited until SP1 to move to W7. You should be able to find a vendor who will sell a bare machine; then buy a copy of W7 and install the OS yourself.

If you don't need W, you could move to Linux and avoid the cost of an OS.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks »

There's an index of programming language usage which is computed based on the number of searches for tutorials on the language. It's an indicator of what new programming languages developers are learning. The language which has gained the most in the past year is C#; it is now in the number 3 position behind Java and PHP.

What does this have to do with buying a laptop? Well, C# is a language specific to Microsoft platforms. There is speculation that new Windows 8 apps are behind the rise of C#. Objective C, used for Apple apps, or Java, used for Android apps, haven't show similar growth.
frankr

Post by frankr »

Hi, I am new here, but thought I would respond.

I primary use a MacBook Pro for my computer for my job as a software developer who works with internet-based startups. For software compatibility testing purposes, I have a copy of Windows 8 Pro in Parallels and like it more or less. I am not sure if I would like it as my day-to-day operating system. I do not recommend jumping to it for a device that doesn't have a touch screen since that is the direction Microsoft is taking it.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Windows 8 is a big disappointment. I prefer W7 and XP. I hate my Mac because Apple tries to suck you into their ecosystem and then lock you in. Microsoft is doing the same thing with W8.

I do not believe W8 metro interface would be good for anything, including touchscreens. Why would I always want to be touching the screen?

W8 metro is really dumbed down. Every time I try to do something, I find that W8 has thrown me over to the classic environment. W8 can't make up its mind on what it wants to be.

I think Microsoft should be embarrassed by what the have done with W8.

W8 is fast, but everything takes twice as many clicks if you can find what you need. The metro interface is really dumbed down to the point that it is not useful for any meaningful work.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

covertfantom wrote:I use Windows 8 every day. The metro interface is garbage unless you have a touch screen. If you don't, Start 8 is available for$5 and removes the metro touch experience. You end up with a computer that feels exactly like Windows 7.
I don't have Windows 8 available to try, but it appears that you can bypass Metro by invoking explorer at login. See: Make Windows 8 boot straight to the desktop. There are also tips on how to bypass the login screen directly, but I wouldn't recommend it for security reasons.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

We just got a new computer with Windows 8. Had to bypass all the login, sign, etc. stuff when first starting, don't know what all this is about but bet there is some kind of scam involved. The metro interface of whatever it is makes no sense to me so I downloaded free Classic Shell program which put the Start button back on and some other good settings. Works great now. I thought Microsoft folks were supposed to be smart :shock:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (computers).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Novine

Post by Novine »

The Metro interface makes perfect sense for a mobile phone or similar device. On a desktop, not so much. As I mentioned in another thread, I've worked with Windows 8 on my laptop for a couple of weeks. It's pretty nice. It's at least as good as Windows 7 and much faster starting up, if that matters to you. If you need a start menu, as others have noted, there's some third party add-ons that will do that.
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

Why don't you try it and see? Windows 8 Modern UI doesn't really work all that well w/o a touch screen in my opinion, but you may have a different opinion. I think it will be OK, but compare it to a windows 7 machine if you can find one.

Paul
mikeast

Post by mikeast »

covertfantom wrote:I use Windows 8 every day. The metro interface is garbage unless you have a touch screen. If you don't, Start 8 is available for$5 and removes the metro touch experience. You end up with a computer that feels exactly like Windows 7.

Thank you, Thank you, for the tip on Start 8. I just downloaded it and you may have saved my new laptop from being beaten to death with a hammer.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Used Win8 on a friend's touch-screen tablet/laptop hybrid.

I have to admit that the Win8 made a LOT more sense to me when using the touchscreen. Before that, I was thinking "what a waste" as none of my laptops have touchscreens, nor have I felt the need for them. However, on my friend's touch computer, it was essential to have a touch-capable OS.

If you've got a regular nontouch laptop/computer I think you'll not really be getting the full gist of the intended Win8.

Win7 is very, very good, imo. It's what I expected of all prior iterations of Windows but which never ever lived up to stability or speed expectations. Win7 has been essentially rock-solid stable and glitch free for me. (Tough for me to admit that!)
bUU

Post by bUU »

Folks should also keep in mind that the strongest force at Microsoft pushing for such a radical departure from the standard desktop user-interface for desktop users using Windows 8 has left the company. For reasons I've alluded to in other threads*, I cannot talk about specifics, but this one person did have the power to impose this decision, and reject suggestions to provide users a choice. There is a very good chance that we'll see a lot of the Windows 7 desktop user-interface artifacts return to the OS in a Windows 8 service pack.

_____
* ... and won't provide details for no matter how many childish insults are thrown at me ...
OnTheFly

Post by OnTheFly »

If it isn't a Mac it's just a pc :sharebeer
Topic Author
mikey4

Post by mikey4 »

Not to be rude Bicker but your message seems cryptic. Do you work for MSFT and cant talk specifics?

Seems we have a mixed bag on W8
ShortInSeattle

Post by ShortInSeattle »

I have Win8 on both my touch screen and standard screen machines. The first two weeks were pretty annoying, but now I like it very much.

There are two modes: Metro and Desktop. Desktop is very much like Win7, Metro is the tile-based screen. I use the metro screen as a kind of visual collage. I have groupings for various aspects of my life. When I'm doing heavy app work I spend most of the time in desktop mode.

I've come to appreciate the speed, the easy search function (Just start typing)), and the visual layout of the tiles. I upgraded because I was buying new machines, and I figured I may as well roll with the tide.

SIS
bUU

Post by bUU »

mikey4 wrote:Not to be rude Bicker but your message seems cryptic.
As I promised it must necessary be, and remain. Sorry.
ShortInSeattle wrote:I have Win8 on both my touch screen and standard screen machines. The first two weeks were pretty annoying, but now I like it very much.
I'm not there yet, and I don't really see getting there without a touch screen. I don't find that "just start typing" works for a lot of things I need to do. By the same token, the little bit I do use our Windows 8 computer prompts me to wonder about buying a tablet. I only wonder how well the touch screen capabilities work through an RDP session (which is the only way I ever use that computer - it has no display connected to it).

One of the really annoying things I've found with Windows 8 (and this has nothing to do with Metro) is that I cannot easily reboot the computer when accessing it remotely. I have to actually go back to DOS and type in the shutdown /r command there. That kind of change is simply wrong - no real reason for it, and dissatisfying.
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

mikey4 wrote:Not to be rude Bicker but your message seems cryptic. Do you work for MSFT and cant talk specifics?

Seems we have a mixed bag on W8
I think Bicker is referring to Chief Exec Steven Sinosky, who left Microsoft windows 8 is release. He is largely credited with bring Win8 on schedule, but is also known for being demanding and political. Now that win8 is out, Microsoft wants all of their division to work together, this is something Sinosky does not do well. so the tyrant type is put out to the pasture.

Now that Steven Sinosky is gone, perhaps some of the win7 element may come back, but this is just speculation.

Paul