Bogleheads 2013 Hedgefund Contest

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Snowjob

Bogleheads 2013 Hedgefund Contest

Post by Snowjob »

[See below. -- admin LadyGeek]
Are we going to do another one again next year? This is always a fun exercise
Johm221122

Re: Boglehead Hedgefund Contest 2013?

Post by Johm221122 »

Deleted
Last edited by Johm221122 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

That's a different contest Johm, otherwise known as the "guess the S&P 500" contest. Snowjob is referring to the hedge fund contest, where you pick 4 stocks (2 of which you are shorting) and try to end up with the highest (or lowest, for some of our competitors) earnings for the year. See this year's contest: http://libra-investments.com/hf/bh.html
dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon »

I'm in. Can't believe I'm not dead last in this year's contest with my disastrous short of SHLD. For 2013 we will, um, be closing our old fund and renaming everything in hopes our suckers - er, I mean investors - will forget about 2012. :P
Taylor Larimore

An educational exercise.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Snowjob wrote:Are we going to do another one again next year? This is always a fun exercise
It is also an educational exercise:

Vanguard's Total Market Index Fund Admiral (VTSAX) currently has a Year-to-Date return of 15.70%. Only 7 hedge funds in the contest did better; 26 hedge funds did worse.

Past performance does not guarantee future performance.

Happy Holidays
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Here's the hedgefund contest: Bogleheads 2012 hedge fund contest, run by Norbert Schlenker

I tried for dead last and almost broke even.

The S&P 500 contest (latest): BOGLEHEAD CONTEST -- One month to go., run by Taylor Larimore
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
wshang

Post by wshang »

Is there anyway to allow the contest to use options or futures strategies?
The cure shouldn't be worse than the disease.
Norbert Schlenker

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Thank you to LadyGeek for sending me a PM informing me Of the expressed interest. I am on the road with nothing more than an iPod and occasional wifi connections through New Years Day so this is not easy to organize. However I am happy to set the software running again once I get home for all portfolios that match the rules of last year's contest other than dates. So exactly two longs and two shorts drawn from the same universe as last year (cannot remember offhand it was S&P500 or something broader but follow those rules), specified in a post in this thread before the market opens on Jan 2, 2013. I will catch up the bookkeeping ASAP after I get home. Dividends do not count.

Sorry no high volatility options or futures strategies as they're impossible to track automatically.

Signing off now because I'm at my iPod patience limit. Excuse typos please.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 »

Rules refresher:

• Pick a fancy name for your hedge fund. Show some creativity. A panel of esteemed judges will choose the best.

• Before 9 am EST on 3 Jan 2012, pick two stocks to go long and two to short. You must choose four different positions. Equal dollar amounts are placed on each position.

• Common stock only. No bonds, no options, no funds.

• No trades during the year, except that you can elect at any time during normal exchange business hours to "freeze" a price for any individual position at that day's closing price, i.e. liquidate that one position. Other than that, you're stuck with what you choose for the year.

• The universe from which to choose is the Russell 3000. No exceptions. I will attempt to verify membership ahead of time and warn if offside, but the onus is on participants to verify each submitted portfolio against the link provided. Portfolios containing one or more offside positions at the start time will be excluded from the contest. Stocks that are eligible at the start but are removed from the Russell 3000 during 2012 will continue to be tracked.

• Starting prices are the 30 Dec 2011 close, ending prices will be the 31 Dec 2012 close. (Adjustments may be made to either in case of crazy spreads, at my sole discretion.)

• Positions merged out of existence during 2012 will either be liquidated at takeover price for cash deals or converted to positions in acquiring company for stock deals. As the universe has expanded for the 2012 edition, buyouts and mergers may be more common than in earlier years. Contest participants are encouraged to keep me informed of such corporate actions in their own funds, either with a PM or a post in this thread.

• Winner of the name contest deemed to purchase long positions at 1% discount and sell short positions at 1% premium!

• Dividends won't count because ...

• It's all automated to make it easy on myself.
SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 »

Iona Little Fund

Long:
CELG, Celgene Corp.
ARNA, Arena Pharmaceuticals

Short:
INTC, Intel Corp.
CMG, Chipotle Mexican Grill

Thank you Norbert for taking the time to run the contest again in 2013.
camper

Post by camper »

Zona Holdings Inc.

Long:
PHM: Pulte
LEN: Lennar

Short:
HPQ: Hewlett-Packard
YUM: YUM! Brands
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Bogleheads 2013 Hedgefund Contest

Post by LadyGeek »

Since Norbert Schlenker's internet access is limited and time is running short, let's start posting here. He can catch up when he gets back home.

Rather than copy the 2012 Bogleheads rules, he just posted A 2013 hedge fund contest over on our sister Canadian site, Financial Webring Forum. The rules are the same, except for the universe of choices (no TSX picks for Bogleheads):
Norbert Schlenker wrote:Complete set of rules for 2013 ...
  • Pick a fancy name for your hedge fund. Show some creativity. A panel of esteemed judges will choose the best.
  • Before 9 am EST on 2 Jan 2013, pick two stocks to go long and two to short. Equal dollar amounts are placed on each position.
  • Stock only. No bonds, no options, no funds.
  • No trades during the year, except that you can elect at any time during normal exchange business hours to "freeze" a price for any individual position at that day's closing price, i.e. liquidate that one position. Other than that, you're stuck with what you choose for the year.
  • The universe from which to choose is either the S&P/TSX or the Russell 3000. No mix and match between the two groups, no exceptions.
  • Starting prices are the 31 Dec 2012 close, ending prices will be the 31 Dec 2013 close. (Adjustments may be made to either in case of crazy spreads, at my sole discretion.)
  • Winner of the name contest deemed to purchase long positions at 1% discount and sell short positions at 1% premium!
  • Dividends won't count because ...
  • It's all automated to make it easy on myself.
My holiday schedule may result in a delay to the automation of posting of results but rest assured that I will get to it eventually.

Post your picks in this thread.
(Updated to reflect latest rules from Financial Webring Forum.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
peppers

Post by peppers »

We have one more trading day left and "...it ain't over until the fat lady starts to sing.." Yes, I know, I can hear her warming up. :annoyed
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Name: Superior Pericenter Arbitrage Managment, LP

Long:
Exide Technologies (XIDE)
Thomas Properties Group Inc. (TPGI)

Short:
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Inc. (KKD)
Bon-Ton Stores Inc. (BONT)

(Updated name)
wshang

Post by wshang »

Fund Name: Go for the Gold
Long:
KITD
APAGF

Short:
BDSI
ARNA
The cure shouldn't be worse than the disease.
BHCadet

Post by BHCadet »

New Deal Hedgefund

Long:
Best Buy Co Inc. (BBY)
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. (AMD)

Short:
PulteGroup, Inc. (PHM)
Sprint Nextel Corp. (S)
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Fund Name:
Sonic Hedgefund

Long:
GRPN (Groupon)
ZNGA (Zynga)

Short:
BBY (Best Buy)
HPQ (Hewlett Packard)
NYBoglehead

Post by NYBoglehead »

The Gazelle Fund

Long:
Home Depot (HD)
Ford (F)

Short:
Apple (AAPL)
JP Morgan (JPM)
grok87

Post by grok87 »

I'm in.
Consternatio Partners

Long
Vrsk
Dltr

Short
Nly
Sdrl

Cheers,
RIP Mr. Bogle.
grok87

Re: An educational exercise.

Post by grok87 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Snowjob wrote:Are we going to do another one again next year? This is always a fun exercise

Vanguard's Total Market Index Fund Admiral (VTSAX) currently has a Year-to-Date return of 15.70%. Only 7 hedge funds in the contest did better; 26 hedge funds did worse.

Happy Holidays
Taylor
Well there a couple of issues here:

1) the total stock market index is not really the best benchmark. The contest has you choose 2 long stock positions and 2 short stock positions. So it's trying to replicate a market neutral hedge fund. The best benchmark for that is tbills. For example the vanguard market neutral fund uses the Citigroup 3 month tbill index as its benchmark

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... IntExt=INT

2) compared to this benchmark, 18 funds beat the benchmark and 14 lagged

3) however the contest ignores dividends and this may distort performance. I understand the idea is to keep things simple. But yahoo publishes prices adjusted for dividends so perhaps we could use those?

Cheers
RIP Mr. Bogle.
FNK

Post by FNK »

Fund name:
TechnoViking

Long:
GOOG
YHOO

Short:
MSFT
NFLX
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

grok87 wrote:For example the vanguard market neutral fund uses the Citigroup 3 month tbill index as its benchmark

Huh, that is an odd fund. "The fund may be appropriate for a small portion of an already well-diversified portfolio" - and has a minimum investment of $250k. OK, they must not be talking about my portfolio. :D
centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 »

Name: Shrink Fund of America Class R6

Long:
AMD
JIVE

Short:
LUV
ENZN
novaboglehead

Post by novaboglehead »

Name: I don't need no stinking index fund Fund

Long:
Qualcomm QCOM
Whole Foods WFM

Short:
Best Buy BBY
Intel INTC
celia

Post by celia »

Name:
Oh, No! Fund

Long:
OMEX Odyssey Marine Exploration
HCSG Healthcare Services Group

Short:
NRG NRG Energy
OUTD Outdoor Channel
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
Taylor Larimore

Best Hedge Fund Contest benchmark?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

grok87 wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:

Happy Holidays
Taylor

1) the total stock market index is not really the best benchmark. The contest has you choose 2 long stock positions and 2 short stock positions. So it's trying to replicate a market neutral hedge fund. The best benchmark for that is tbills. For example the vanguard market neutral fund uses the Citigroup 3 month tbill index as its benchmark

3) however the contest ignores dividends and this may distort performance. I understand the idea is to keep things simple. But yahoo publishes prices adjusted for dividends so perhaps we could use those?

Cheers
Grook:

From the Hedge Fund Contest Registration:
"I am going to relax last year's restriction to S&P 500 companies to a broader index, the Russell 3000."
The Russell 3000 Index measures the performance of the largest 3000 U.S. companies representing approximately 98% of the investable U.S. equity market. Accordingly, it seems to me that the Vanguard's Total Market Index Fund is a much better benchmark for this contest than "t-bills."

Happy Holidays.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

Title: The Hedge Hog Fund (We can't promise you won't get slaughtered)

Long:
CAG (ConAgra Foods, Inc.)
CAT (Caterpillar, Inc.)

Short:
CBOU (Caribou Coffee Co., Inc.)
SHOR (Shoretel, Inc.)
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.
Nate270

Post by Nate270 »

I would like to enter my hedgefund: Intelligent Capital Global Opportunities Absolute Return Fund

Long:
Mant
Brk.b

Short:
Pld
Scco
muddyglass

Post by muddyglass »

fund name:
longer term capital management

long positions:
rgr - sturm, ruger & company
swhc - smith & wesson holding corporation

short positions:
bby - best buy inc.
fb - facebook inc.
adrian2

Post by adrian2 »

Fund name: No Coffee Genes in Finance

Long:
BAC Bank of America
C Citigroup

Short (from the current top performers):
SQNM Sequenom Inc
GMCR Green Mountain Coffee Roasters
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

To the new investors, feel free to enter the contest. If you'd like to enter, but the rules seem too complicated, here's the simplified version:

From the Russell 3000 Index (membership list)
- Pick 2 stocks that you think will gain in value by this time next year. Those are the "long" positions.
- Pick 2 stocks that you think will lose in value by this time next year. Those are the "short" positions.
- Pick a name for your hedge fund. Google "hedge fund name" to get the general idea.

- Don't ever invest in a hedge fund, which is the point of this exercise. See: Hedge funds

Like the upcoming Boglehead Contest, which attempts to predict the value of the S&P 500 index, new investors have just as much a shot at winning as the "pros" do (or at least we think so). Give it a try.
dmcmahon

Post by dmcmahon »

Here at Nocturnal Aviation we want to assure our customers that the poor performance of the now-closed High and Frequently Trading fund was due entirely to a rogue trader, Lance Link, who was not authorized to use his toes to enter trades.

We're proud to announce the opening of our new fund, run by veteran stock-picker Bobo the Wonder Chimp. We're confident you've forgotten the dismal performance of his old Daedelus fund, and only remember him as a "name" thanks to his many appearances on CNBC octo-boxes. The new fund is:

Bet You're Hedged Fund

Long AAPL CAT
Short AMZN HPQ

(Edited prior to deadline to fix spelling of fund name and short HPQ instead of GM.)

P.S. I want to echo what Taylor and Lady Geek say about hedge funds above. This annual game is a lark, and I for one can't resist poking fun at the hedge fund industry. As the old saying goes, sometimes the truest things are said in jest.
Last edited by dmcmahon on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jerome99

Post by jerome99 »

Fontana Ltd.

Long- FAST, NAV

Short- RUSHA, TRV
madpunster

Post by madpunster »

Reversion to the Meme

Longs - EDMC, RSH
Shorts - PGTI, ELLI
grok87

Re: Best Hedge Fund Contest benchmark?

Post by grok87 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
grok87 wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:

Happy Holidays
Taylor

Cheers
Grok:

From the Hedge Fund Contest Registration:
"I am going to relax last year's restriction to S&P 500 companies to a broader index, the Russell 3000."
The Russell 3000 Index measures the performance of the largest 3000 U.S. companies representing approximately 98% of the investable U.S. equity market. Accordingly, it seems to me that the Vanguard's Total Market Index Fund is a much better benchmark for this contest than "t-bills."

Happy Holidays.
Taylor
Taylor,
Happy holidays to you too!
How about using the vanguard market neutral fund as a benchmark?
ThAt's down 1% year to date. So again 18 contest participants would have beaten vanguard at the long/short stock picking game. The only problem is dividends and, I guess, expense ratio.
Cheers,
RIP Mr. Bogle.
dhc

Post by dhc »

Title:
"Medical Inflation Protection Fund"

Long:
MDRX (Allscripts Healthcare)
HCA (HCA Holdings Inc)

Short:
CERN (Cerner Corp)
PFE (Pfizer Inc)
muddyglass

Post by muddyglass »

grok87 wrote: Taylor,
ThAt's down 1% year to date. So again 18 contest participants would have beaten vanguard at the long/short stock picking game. The only problem is dividends and, I guess, expense ratio.
Cheers,
maybe i'm missing something, but i thought market neutral funds try to long and short stuff in the same sector or which have very high correlation otherwise. our picks for long positions and short positions in this contest don't necessarily reflect that strategy. for example, some of us are trying to beat the market (to a bloody pulp) by longing the stuff we like and shorting the stuff we don't like, regardless of correlations.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

First City Sons & Co.

Long: Bank of America (BAC)
Ford (F)

Short: Pepco Holdings Co. (POM)
Alcoa (AA)
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
therub

Post by therub »

Title: 4 Blind Squirrels
Methodology: Dart Board (virtual)
Long:
- CABOT CORP CBT
- NEWMARKET CORPORATION NEU

Short:
- KENNEDY-WILSON HLDGS IN KW
- HAVERTY FURNITURE INC HVT

Fees are the rub.
ThirteenEleven

Post by ThirteenEleven »

Madoff Capitol Mismanagement

Long:
Home Depot (HD)
Citigroup (C)

Short:
Apple (appl)
Sprint Nextel (S)
grok87

Post by grok87 »

zaboomafoozarg wrote:
grok87 wrote:For example the vanguard market neutral fund uses the Citigroup 3 month tbill index as its benchmark

Huh, that is an odd fund. "The fund may be appropriate for a small portion of an already well-diversified portfolio" - and has a minimum investment of $250k. OK, they must not be talking about my portfolio. :D
Yeah exactly. The managed payout funds use it
RIP Mr. Bogle.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

muddyglass wrote:
Cheers,
maybe i'm missing something, but i thought market neutral funds try to long and short stuff in the same sector or which have very high correlation otherwise. our picks for long positions and short positions in this contest don't necessarily reflect that strategy. for example, some of us are trying to beat the market (to a bloody pulp) by longing the stuff we like and shorting the stuff we don't like, regardless of correlations.
Interesting observation. Looks like you are correct about the vanguard market neutral fund. As per the latest report it does try to keep its sector positioning for longs and shorts pretty equal
https://personal.vanguard.com/funds/rep ... 2210063746
So what do you think the best benchmark is?
RIP Mr. Bogle.
matjen

Post by matjen »

fund name:
Yacht Payments Partners

long positions:
JCP - J.C. Penney
SWHC - smith & wesson holding corporation

short positions:
GOOG - Google
SPG - Simon Property Group
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
HardSphere

Post by HardSphere »

Fund name:
High Liquidity Large Volume Porcelain Bowl Fund

Long Positions:
SWHC -- Smith Wesson & Holding
RGR -- Sturm Ruger & Co Inc

Short Positions:
AAPL -- Apple Inc
EA -- Electronic Arts Inc
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Ding Dong Capital (anyone home?) Stay tuned.....

Long: CVS - CVS Caremark Corp.
Long: L - Loews Corporation

Short: RRC - Range Resources
Short: AAPL - Apple
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
muddyglass

Post by muddyglass »

grok87 wrote:
muddyglass wrote:
Cheers,
Interesting observation. Looks like you are correct about the vanguard market neutral fund. As per the latest report it does try to keep its sector positioning for longs and shorts pretty equal
https://personal.vanguard.com/funds/rep ... 2210063746
So what do you think the best benchmark is?
ideally, we'd have to benchmark our funds against a weighted index using various vanguard size-style index funds to approximate our tilt. however, since this is not a real competition after all, i'd make things easy and just go with taylor's suggestion of using the total u.s. market index. :D
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Fiscal Cliff Joy Fund
Long:
FIZZ
CALL

Short:
CLF
JOY
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

livesoft wrote:Fiscal Cliff Joy Fund
Long:
FIZZ
CALL

Short:
CLF
JOY
What you did there: I see it. 8-)
Dovahkiin

Post by Dovahkiin »

Black Hole Capital Fund:

Long:
SGEN
CAB

Short:
NFLX
BKS
mikenz

Post by mikenz »

Dyspepsia Fund

long
EAT
FAST

short
GET
GAS

** GET is in your Russel 3000 list but seems to have changed ticker symbol to RHP