Help choosing a Fidelity International Fund -FSIIX or FSGUX?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
xpat73

Help choosing a Fidelity International Fund -FSIIX or FSGUX?

Post by xpat73 »

It appears from previous replies on this forum that I need to diversify my Fidelity Roth IRA to give it some international exposure.

I have used the Fidelity search filter and based on the following factors have narrowed it down to 2 funds - FSIIX or FSGUX

1. I want a low expense ratio
2. I want an index fund
3. I do not have the $10k min to get into some of them, only $2500

Questions - I do not understand the difference between the explanations of what these funds invest in Morgan Stanley Index v. ADrs

Is there any reason why I should not choose FSIIX - after all it has the lower expenses ratio, and they both invest in large cap-

Seems like FSIIX started in 1997 while FSGUX is newish -2011.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Spartan International Index Fund - Investor Class
(FSIIX) - Foreign Large Blend, $2500 min, exp ratio .2%

Normally investing at least 80% of assets in common stocks included in the Morgan Stanley Capital International Europe, Australasia, Far East Index, which represents the performance of foreign stock markets.

Spartan Global ex U.S. Index Fund - Investor Class
(FSGUX) - Foreign Large Blend, $2500 min, exp ratio .34%

Normally investing at least 80% of assets in securities included in the MSCI ACWI (All Country World Index) ex USA Index and in depository receipts representing securities included in the index. Using statistical sampling techniques based on such factors as capitalization, industry exposures, dividend yield, price/earnings ratio, price/book ratio, earnings growth, country weightings, and the effect of foreign taxes to attempt to replicate the returns of the MSCI ACWI ex USA Index. Lending securities to earn income for the fund.
retiredjg

Re: Help choosing a Fidelity International Fund -FSIIX or FS

Post by retiredjg »

I would use the Global fund. It contains Canada and the emerging markets - the other fund does not. It is missing the international small caps, but if you are going to use Fido, this is the best international fund they offer in my opinion.

I think all (or perhaps most all?) the Spartan funds now have a $2,500 minimum (as of a few weeks ago).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

FSGUX is the hands down choice. It is like choosing between VEA and VXUS. It is like choosing the closest Fidelity fund to Vanguard Total Int'l Index.

FSGUX has emerging markets, Canada, and some mid-caps that FSIIX does not. FSGUX may have a higher expense ratio, but that is due to the broader range of equities that it owns.

OTOH, maybe you are Canadian and already have a huge position in an emerging markets fund in another account. In that case, perhaps FSIIX is better for you.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
xpat73

Post by xpat73 »

livesoft wrote:FSGUX is the hands down choice. It is like choosing between VEA and VXUS. It is like choosing the closest Fidelity fund to Vanguard Total Int'l Index.

FSGUX has emerging markets, Canada, and some mid-caps that FSIIX does not. FSGUX may have a higher expense ratio, but that is due to the broader range of equities that it owns.

OTOH, maybe you are Canadian and already have a huge position in an emerging markets fund in another account. In that case, perhaps FSIIX is better for you.
Not Canadian! So looks like FSGUX. Thanks for your input.