2012 Year-End Financial Checklist

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

2012 Year-End Financial Checklist

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Hello Everyone:

Here's a column I just posted on Forbes. Perhaps it might help jog your memory on something you may have overlooked. http://blogs.forbes.com/thebogleheadsview/
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
buzzlight

Re: 2012 Last Minute Checklist

Post by buzzlight »

Savings Bond Purchases

Since Savings Bonds (I Bonds and EE Bonds) have annual purchase limits ($5000 per SS# per type via TreasuryDirect and another $5000 via your income tax refund), you may want to see if there’s still time to get your 2012 Savings Bond allotment.

I thought it was 10,000 per SS# per type, am i wrong? Please advise.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

buzzlight wrote:Savings Bond Purchases

Since Savings Bonds (I Bonds and EE Bonds) have annual purchase limits ($5000 per SS# per type via TreasuryDirect and another $5000 via your income tax refund), you may want to see if there’s still time to get your 2012 Savings Bond allotment.

Oops! Thanks for catching that. I fixed it! (And to think that they call me "Mr. Savings Bonds". :oops: )
buzzlight

Post by buzzlight »

my pleasure, glad i was helpful.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: 2012 Year-End Financial Checklist

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I've added a few more items to the last-minute checklist that I had overlooked previously.
STC

Post by STC »

Two errors Mel.

"Retirement plan contributions" - Typo "Hove" instead of "Have"
"Fiscal cliff looming" - you cannot fall off a cliff that is looming. One you approach from below, the other from above.

Nice article.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Mel Lindauer wrote:

Oops! Thanks for catching that. I fixed it! (And to think that they call me "Mr. Savings Bonds". :oops: )
I know the feeling!
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

STC wrote:Two errors Mel.

"Retirement plan contributions" - Typo "Hove" instead of "Have"
"Fiscal cliff looming" - you cannot fall off a cliff that is looming. One you approach from below, the other from above.

Nice article.
Thanks, STC. I fixed both of them.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

sschullo wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:

I know the feeling!
The beauty of electronic publishing (vs printed books and magazines) is that I can make corrections immediately, Steve. :D
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

One more truly last minute item which could be added to the 2012 charitable donations comment in your excellent checklist. This was written at the Vanguard website.

Under federal gift and estate tax rules, individuals can potentially make significant gifts that are exempt from federal transfer tax. Currently, the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 makes this opportunity larger than ever before, by exempting $5.12 million from the gift tax.
1 By making a gift while living, individuals may reduce their future estate tax exposure not only by the amount of the gift but also on the future appreciation of that gift.
2 Therefore, some thought should be given as to whether the gift tax exemption should be used before the potential expiration of the current law on December 31, 2012.
Individuals may wish to maximize the gift tax exemption available while also maintaining sufficient assets to use during retirement years.

Jim
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Sheepdog wrote:One more truly last minute item which could be added to the 2012 charitable donations comment in your excellent checklist. This was written at the Vanguard website.

Under federal gift and estate tax rules, individuals can potentially make significant gifts that are exempt from federal transfer tax. Currently, the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 makes this opportunity larger than ever before, by exempting $5.12 million from the gift tax.
1 By making a gift while living, individuals may reduce their future estate tax exposure not only by the amount of the gift but also on the future appreciation of that gift.
2 Therefore, some thought should be given as to whether the gift tax exemption should be used before the potential expiration of the current law on December 31, 2012.
Individuals may wish to maximize the gift tax exemption available while also maintaining sufficient assets to use during retirement years.

Jim
Thanks for making that important addition to the list, Jim.