Jeep Wranglers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hazlitt777

Jeep Wranglers

Post by hazlitt777 »

A month ago, trying to get around in the woods with my old Bronco, I realized that I missed my Wrangler which I sold 10 years ago. The old 78 Bronco I had just wasn't the same. Nothing like the agility and mobility of a Wrangler. So I just got rid of the Bronco and picked up a 1999 model with the 4.0 engine in very nice shape. I am now a kid again.

Any other Wrangler fans out there?
OnFire

Re: Jeep Wranglers

Post by OnFire »

I have a 1997 TJ Sahara Edition with the five speed, a 2 1/2 inch lift, Mickey Thompson 31s, oversized rear tire carrier, marine radio, and I take it off-roading in Silver Lake, Michigan. I inherited it from my father. It's starting to rust. I don't know how many fans you'll find on this board. It's not a 97 Civic with 200,00 miles. They are rough, loud, prone to break down, and as fun as a trip to a nudist camp full of yoga instructors. Life isn't all about bank account balances. Have fun.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I have been thinking about getting one. Any suggestion as to what year?
Grahamsdad

Post by Grahamsdad »

I bought a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon in September. My first ever Jeep, at age 45. I struggled with the concept that I am "acting like a teenager" or having a "mid-life crisis." I also know I spent too much on the Jeep from a Bogleheads' perspective, buying a new one with leather, etc. I do love it. In the Fall, it was great without the top. It's great in rain. I am sure it will be great in the snow. It drives much better than I excepted. The best feature--Bluetooth for phone calls and my cellphone Pandora. Driving in the Fall with the top off, the radio blaring, is really fun.

I look forward to driving it everyday and am really happy with the purchase. Enough rambling. Good luck.
desertbandit442

Post by desertbandit442 »

I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport. Now has 185,000 plus miles on it and loving it. Best thing about the wrangler--don't have to wash it if it's dirty: it's a jeep, it's supposed to be dirty. Don't have to worry if it gets a ding in it, it's just a jeep.
ResNullius

Post by ResNullius »

I live in the mountains, where Jeeps and Subarus are king. I've been hearing that it's almost impossible to find a Jeep on the lot these days, same for Subarus. Personally, we're Subaru people, but Jeeps are fine too. I just don't need the heavy duty 4-wheel, low and high range. All wheel drive does just fine for us, but then we don't go off-roading.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

The first vehicle I ever drove was a WWII army jeep that my Dad bought brand new in 1946 (in a crate with the wheels and tires in the back seat) for $100.00. I was riding with my Dad one day and he said "Do you want to learn how to drive" and I said "Sure"! Well I drove it into a tree doing about 10 miles an hour -- I was 8 years old at the time! My Dad got into real trouble with my Mom for that!!!!

Bottom line is that I love Jeeps!!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
Topic Author
hazlitt777

Post by hazlitt777 »

Thanks for the responses. I just bought a 1999 Wrangler Sport with a manual this past Friday. I love the power of the 4.0 engine, as opposed to what I had 10 years ago, a 2.5.

I know gas mileage is the last thing a guy should be thinking about when buying these. (It is a second vehicle for me.) But I have 30/9.50/15s on it. I am wondering if I can hope for the 19 on the highway it is stickered for...going at 70 miles an hour. Just wondering what kind of miles/gallon people here have experienced with various wheels. I know the 30/9.50s are going to cut the mileage a bit more than the stock 205/15s or 225/15s.
I filled up for the second time and tried a calculation of gas mileage and came up with 17mpg. (2/3rds highway at 70miles an hour, and 1/3 in town...roughly.) That tells me my engine with 115,000 is operating okay. Sounds goods too.

Just picked it up for $6000 from a dealer. The reason I took the risk of buying this used with so many miles are the following: I learned there were only two owners. The first put on 27,000 in one year. The second was a woman who traded it to this dealer. She owned it of course for 12/13 years putting on the remaining 88,000 miles. I figured she did mostly in town driving and didn't beat it in the woods because it looks good with only minor rust. She must have known how to handle a manual I said to myself, having driven it for all those years, so the transmission must be okay. (Seems to be true so far.)

I originally went to the dealer when i saw it listed online for $8400. When I got there Thursday, I learned they changed their minds, and were not going to put it on the lot because it had too many problems! ..real seal pinion leak, sway bar links gone, and oil leak. (Funny, online one day, off the next after deciding not to fix it up.)
In a quick conversation with my mechanic, we estimated it could be as much as $1000 to repair, so, with that in mind, I asked if I could make an offer anyway. They were planning on auctioning it off this past Monday. They got back to me the next day, saying they would let it go as is, no warranty, for $6800. I went and looked at it, took it for a drive, and learned that the tailgate was rusted shut too. So I offered them $6000 and they took it! The head of the used car department said, you can have it, but as is. I'm sure they are concerned about their reputation. I assured them it was my gamble.

I was able to fix the tailgate by using penetrating oil and a drill...long story. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/cheapo- ... ost3106970
My mechanic fixed the pinion seal leak and front sway bars. We agreed the oil leak was a non issue because no oil gets on the floor, it is just seeping a bit. That was big! The repairs in the end cost me $486. So I think I am in business! Tires will need replacing in 10,000 miles or so.

In the National and state forests here in Wisconsin these are fun...not "big time four wheeling" but just tooling around on rough back roads. With the short wheel base you can get to places other trucks can't.

More than anybody wants to know I suppose. But this was the first vehicle buying adventure for me in over 5 years.

But again, I would love to hear about mpg "experiences" any of you have had with these vehicles, esp. one like mine.
Topic Author
hazlitt777

Post by hazlitt777 »

snyder66 wrote:I have been thinking about getting one. Any suggestion as to what year?
I love the Wrangler TJ models, running from 1997-2006. After that, the wheel base was significantly lengthed...so imho, the modern ones are less Jeep and more SUV.
cleosdad

Post by cleosdad »

hazlitt777 wrote:A month ago, trying to get around in the woods with my old Bronco, I realized that I missed my Wrangler which I sold 10 years ago. The old 78 Bronco I had just wasn't the same. Nothing like the agility and mobility of a Wrangler. So I just got rid of the Bronco and picked up a 1999 model with the 4.0 engine in very nice shape. I am now a kid again.

I have a 2001 Wrangler Sport with 73,000 miles. I also have 30/950 tires and average around 17 mpg. I just replaced soft top with a used one off Craigslist. So far no problems and I am very happy.
btenny

Post by btenny »

You might consider a Grand Cherokee as well. I have two older Jeep Grand Cherokees and they are great in the deep snow and most off road stuff as well. Plus they are much nicer to drive on trips and around town with the AC on when it is hot. No they are not convertables but most have sunroofs. They are also much cheaper to buy used. A good older Jeep GC will only cost $3K or so for a 95-99ish model. These versions come with good ground clearence and OK sized tires and are very good off road with the stock stuff. But they can be also be easily lifted 2-4 inches and then have 30 inch tires added. Then you have a tough looking fantastic off road vehicle. See here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3ZQxJSyc2c

Bill
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I was out recently and test drove one of the new 4-door Wrangler with a 6-speed stick. It shifted easily and felt good on the road---didn't porpoise at all, not like I remember the shorter Jeeps doing. But, with its larger engine, it didn't seem to have as much low-end grunt as my '90 Montero's 3.0 liter. (It'll climb *shallow hills in 3-gear at 200 RPMs. Salesmans couldn't believe it, until he saw it done.)
  • *How shallow/steep? An open differential Firebird couldn't climb it when snow covered.
According to the salesman, you will need to buy the top of the line model to get the best 4wd capabilities. (The model I drove only had a limited-slip rear, and open center differential---couldn't be locked. Two lockers come on the top of the line model. To get three lockers means an after-market purchase.)

Just for fun, I let the salesman drive my Montero; joking, he wanted to know where he could get one. (He already owned 3 jeeps of different flavors/ages and had never before driven an old Montero.)

I've put the 4-door Wrangler on my list of potential candidate vehicles for when the time comes to buy a new car.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
yakers

Post by yakers »

Wranglers are good if you intend to mostly off road. I have an 06 Jeep Liberty diesel, took it 1K miles on dirt roads in arctic Canada & Alaska and dirt trails in AZ, CA & NM. Great road car, good for towing and can be reasonably configured for some off road use. Requires more significant mods for serious off roading like te Rubicon area in CA.
Topic Author
hazlitt777

Post by hazlitt777 »

cleosdad wrote:
hazlitt777 wrote:A month ago, trying to get around in the woods with my old Bronco, I realized that I missed my Wrangler which I sold 10 years ago. The old 78 Bronco I had just wasn't the same. Nothing like the agility and mobility of a Wrangler. So I just got rid of the Bronco and picked up a 1999 model with the 4.0 engine in very nice shape. I am now a kid again.

I have a 2001 Wrangler Sport with 73,000 miles. I also have 30/950 tires and average around 17 mpg. I just replaced soft top with a used one off Craigslist. So far no problems and I am very happy.
I was hoping somebody like you would respond. 17 mpg average would be just fine. I've only filled up once so I'm not sure that is what it will be averaging out to be. Thanks.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

hazlitt777 wrote:Thanks for the responses. I just bought a 1999 Wrangler Sport with a manual this past Friday. I love the power of the 4.0 engine, as opposed to what I had 10 years ago, a 2.5.
Wow, $6k for a 13 or 14 year old jeep, with 115k miles on it, that leaks oil and had a tailgate rusted closed; oh, and the dealer didn't even want it on his lot. You only got a deal relative to the original asking price. Stick to buying gold--no moving parts and it doesn't rust.
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

That's pretty much what they are going for. Can't always get blood from a stone.
Topic Author
hazlitt777

Post by hazlitt777 »

Frugal Al wrote:
hazlitt777 wrote:Thanks for the responses. I just bought a 1999 Wrangler Sport with a manual this past Friday. I love the power of the 4.0 engine, as opposed to what I had 10 years ago, a 2.5.
Wow, $6k for a 13 or 14 year old jeep, with 115k miles on it, that leaks oil and had a tailgate rusted closed; oh, and the dealer didn't even want it on his lot. You only got a deal relative to the original asking price. Stick to buying gold--no moving parts and it doesn't rust.
No, check the blue book private party value. It shines like new. Only two minor places rust is coming through. Fixed the tailgate myself, the oil leak is just minor seepage, nothing to worry about. (But try selling that on a car lot.) Another $500 bucks and it will be just fine, and I could probably sell it for $7000. So I didn't overpay. My father, a retired mechanic, was with me for the test drive. We will be able to do most of the work ourselves.

Context my friend. Context.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

hazlitt777 wrote:No, check the blue book private party value. It shines like new.
I stand corrected. It would seem to be a very fair price given that the overall condition is better than what I first understood. I'm surprised by the resale value of the Jeep Wrangler given their overall reliability ratings. I guess it's the niche that it fills.
Rich Cape Cod

Post by Rich Cape Cod »

Bought a 2009 Jeep Wrangler two door Sahara model this past Spring. 20,500 miles on her. Lots of fun. Much more comfortable then I thought it'd be. Much.
Mileage? On a road trip, where I watch my speed (a bit over 65 MPH) I got over 21 MPG. 17 to 19 MPG around Cape Cod.

Not a Boglehead purchase. Just a great one!

Enjoy your Jeeps everyone, you only come this way one time.

Happy New Year all. :sharebeer
Rich Cape Cod/AZ
Topic Author
hazlitt777

Post by hazlitt777 »

Rich Cape Cod wrote:Bought a 2009 Jeep Wrangler two door Sahara model this past Spring. 20,500 miles on her. Lots of fun. Much more comfortable then I thought it'd be. Much.
Mileage? On a road trip, where I watch my speed (a bit over 65 MPH) I got over 21 MPG. 17 to 19 MPG around Cape Cod.

Not a Boglehead purchase. Just a great one!

Enjoy your Jeeps everyone, you only come this way one time.

Happy New Year all. :sharebeer
I have to ask you...did you ever own a TJ Wranger 1997-2006? If so what do you think has been lost in the longer wheel base of the 2009? Or gained?

And by the way, I thought this youtube was hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxQhuwMNOVs
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

No way with 17mpg
Tiekoon

Post by Tiekoon »

First Jeep was 2004 TJ Sahara Wrangler, bought new as a tow car for my motorhome. It was great for short drives and couldn’t be beat for exploring off road in mountains and desert. Only 15,000 miles, no problems, fun to drive BUT, then Jeep came out with the Rubicon, 4 door Unlimited. A few rides in that and it was, good bye TJ Wrangler, hello 2009 Unlimited. Aside for the extra room, trick suspension, bla, bla, the extra wheel base makes a world of difference, ride wise. Yes…even off road in 4 wheel drive.

Yeah…… unless soft on the peddle, expect not much over 17 MPH around town. Seems same for the old 4 banger as well as new V6, strangely. In all honesty a fun car for tootling around town or off road or snow but, would not pick for my daily driver, if I had a fair commute. Nor for a long road trip (couple hours)! I’ll go with the big old SUV with all creature comforts and freeway speed handling for those trips.

Best to you, enjoy your new Jeep…
Jack
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

I have owned several Wranglers and lots of CJ's.....fun but NOT a daily driver...also gas mileage sucks.

GL