What's your regular income like? (from job, not investment)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jbyoun1990

What's your regular income like? (from job, not investment)

Post by jbyoun1990 »

Last edited by jbyoun1990 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wshang

Re: What's your regular income like? (from job, not investme

Post by wshang »

If you are fortunate in investing, at some point you will notice that your net worth is no longer correlating with additions from your paycheck.
The cure shouldn't be worse than the disease.
chaz

Post by chaz »

jbyoun1990 wrote:Assuming that most of us here is not a professional investor, what kind of regular employment do you all have?
Also, how much is your income from employment and how much have you saved, @ what age? Curious to see the correlation within the members of this forum.
What is yours?
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Asking folks what they make or how much they have isn't polite, you need to reframe your question/s.

You're 23, put away as much as you can as soon as you can. Wade Pfau writes about Safe Saving Rates, from what I can see after investing for 35 years it's pretty darn acurate. see table 1 in this article. http://www.fpanet.org/journal/currentis ... ingsrates/
Regards | Bob
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

jbyoun1990 wrote:Assuming that most of us here is not a professional investor, what kind of regular employment do you all have?
Also, how much is your income from employment and how much have you saved, @ what age? Curious to see the correlation within the members of this forum.
As the carebears say "Sharing is caring". Since you aren't sharing, can I infer you don't care to share?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
travellight

Post by travellight »

I would suggest you post this as a poll so anonymity is assured.
mrpotatoheadsays

Post by mrpotatoheadsays »

Noneya.
peppers

Post by peppers »

jbyoun1990 wrote:Assuming that most of us here is not a professional investor, what kind of regular employment do you all have?steady
Also, how much is your income from employment variable and how much have you saved,quite a bit @ what age? since 16 Curious to see the correlation within the members of this forum.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
bUU

Post by bUU »

wshang wrote:If you are fortunate in investing, at some point you will notice that your net worth is no longer correlating with additions from your paycheck.
I'm intrigued by this comment. I think being "fortunate" in investing is not sufficient to bring about this result you've alluded to. I think you either need to be "ridiculously fortunate" in investing (i.e., either experiencing statistically improbable returns based on publicly-available information and access to certain investments, or capitalizing on non-publicly-available information or non-publicly available access to certain investments), or "substantially fortunate" in employment compensation, followed by "fortunate" or better in investing.

The idea that anyone should be able to find their way to that golden path where net worth is no longer correlating with additions from your paycheck just doesn't hold water, in my mind.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

My regular income is fine, just got a small raise for the new year.
But it's been going on for too long now, 40 years, so I think I'll terminate it early in 2013...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

bicker wrote:
wshang wrote:If you are fortunate in investing, at some point you will notice that your net worth is no longer correlating with additions from your paycheck.
I'm intrigued by this comment. I think being "fortunate" in investing is not sufficient to bring about this result you've alluded to. I think you either need to be "ridiculously fortunate" in investing (i.e., either experiencing statistically improbable returns based on publicly-available information and access to certain investments, or capitalizing on non-publicly-available information or non-publicly available access to certain investments), or "substantially fortunate" in employment compensation, followed by "fortunate" or better in investing.

The idea that anyone should be able to find their way to that golden path where net worth is no longer correlating with additions from your paycheck just doesn't hold water, in my mind.
There have been a few MONTHS in 2012 where my net worth has changed by more than my total contributions of new money for the entire YEAR.
I suspect this sort of thing is what wshang is referring to...
Attempted new signature...
Cash

Post by Cash »

There was a big thread and spreadsheet on this a while ago. Probably still relevant.

Edit: here you go http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 10&t=88801
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

62k gross income, working back office at actively managed Mutual fund company (the horror, yes, :twisted: )

60k in retirement accounts
50k in taxable account

I also Owned a triplex in a nearby city for 300k

age 24, been working for almost 2 years

I live in SF bay area.

Here's to transparency.
:sharebeer
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

I have been working non-stop since I graduated college and saving about 20% a year until 2003 when I was first laid off. Since then the employment record has been spotty.
It was the savings early on when I was younger that made the difference.