"investor.vanguard.com"--anyone notice a glitch yesterday?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

"investor.vanguard.com"--anyone notice a glitch yesterday?

Post by nisiprius »

Currently, "personal.vanguard.com" redirects to https://investor.vanguard.com/home/ . Did it always do this? Has anyone noticed? In particular, did Vanguard reconfigure something yesterday?

Yesterday morning I had no problem accessing Vanguard, but yesterday evening I encountered a strange glitch. On my Mac, which is my main machine, all attempts to access personal.vanguard.com redirected to investor.vanguard.com and then failed saying 'Safari can't open the page "https://investor.vanguard.com/home" because Safari can't find the server "investor.vanguard.com"'. Further exploration showed the same problem occurring with other browsers, Ping, etc, although isup.me reported "It's just you. http://investor.vanguard.com is up."

That is, it was a persistent problem that prevented all browsers and network software from resolving investor.vanguard.com while my Windows machine had no problems accessing it. I played around a bit trying to clear the DNS cache, with no luck; I rebooted the Mac and then had no problem.

Anyone else notice anything like this?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
sscritic

Re: "investor.vanguard.com"--anyone notice a glitch yesterda

Post by sscritic »

Both personal (bookmark) and investor (typing skills) work for me this morning. The cookies are different, so I see personal content on one that I don't see on the other (Mac, Safari).

Both allow me to login; both logins take me to personal.

My bookmark (personal) worked last night with no redirect that I noticed. I didn't login.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Didn't notice though I used safari all day yesterday on Mac/OSX with 2 widely separated ISPs. I did not login to Vanguard, but investigated distribution info. Distros showing up this morning are about 10% higher than the earlier Vanguard estimates.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I think there were intermittent problems with Vanguard websites last night. I was able to log in, but several clicks resulted in "server temporarily unavailable" message. I used Windows 7 with IE 9 and had no problems with other sites.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

nisiprius wrote:That is, it was a persistent problem that prevented all browsers and network software from resolving investor.vanguard.com while my Windows machine had no problems accessing it. I played around a bit trying to clear the DNS cache, with no luck; I rebooted the Mac and then had no problem.
This indicates that it likely was a DNS caching problem on the Mac. The original failed DNS lookup that was cached could have been due to any number of errors at any number of places between your ISP and Vanguard. This happens from time to time, particularly if you are trying to access something during a maintenance window. The Internet is a resilient network, but it is not an error-free network.

Here's a page on how to clear the DNS cache for the various versions of OS X: http://osxdaily.com/2008/03/21/how-to-f ... -mac-os-x/