What Do You Use for Streaming on Your TV?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
broomga

Re: What Do You Use for Streaming on Your TV?

Post by broomga »

Blockbuster and Walmart Vudu both stream movies, and you only pay for what you watch. The cost is under $5.00 per movie most of the time.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks again for all the replies. Please keep them coming. :)
Toons

Post by Toons »

ejvyas wrote:
Toons wrote:
mptfan wrote:
ejvyas wrote:Asus Transformer Prime tablet
Could you please explain how this works? Please explain it to me as if I am 10 years old, because that is the level of my understanding when it comes to this stuff. Thanks. :)

All you need is an HDMI cable(mini HDMI to HDMI) from Tablet connected to TV ,after that you may need to choose "source" with TV remote control to view tablet on TV screen.Download different apps to the tablet such as Netflix then stream away,,,,here is a visual from youtube :happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hTDAsr6 ... re=related
Actually Asus Transformer Prime has micro HDMI port

So I bought a micro HDMI to HDMI cable (>3 feet) and then connd my tablet to TV.
Change source on TV to match the HDMI port you have connected eg. HDMI 2, HDMI 3
This replicates the tablet screen on TV
On tablet I play via Youtube, Vimeo, browser streaming etc.

I have a spare old laptop as well for this purpose.
Nothing beats a laptop. I have tried Roku and other streaming players but they cant really play new formats. Laptop seems to be a superset of all these devices.
+1
Agree completely,laptop is the way to go
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
thomase

Post by thomase »

I use a cheap laptop connected to my LCD TV to watch Netflix and youtube, works well.
Sammy_M

Post by Sammy_M »

Regular PC with HDMI out. Everything runs through Windows Media Center (Netflix, Hulu, Video Podcasts). Also acts as a DVR and we get over the air (OTA) stations in HD quality with just a USB Tuner card. XBox in another room connects to it over Wifi and allows shows recorded on the main PC to play on it. I love this setup and it has saved me a small bundle.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Sammy can you post the USB tuner card brand/model you use? Thanks.
Sammy_M

Post by Sammy_M »

ruanddu wrote:Sammy can you post the USB tuner card brand/model you use? Thanks.
I bought a couple of inexpensive Hauppauges when they were on sale at newegg or a place like that. If you're going to keep cable service, you'd need one that supports CableCard like Ceton's or SiliconDust's.

If you have a coax near where you want to put the PC in your office, and if your PC has decent specs (processor & video card), your best solution might be to run WMC on it, and then put an xbox (or other extender) by your main TV that feeds off of the office PC. You can then watch live TV off of the xbox. You'll need ethernet for the xbox given the bandwidth required, or a really strong wireless-n connection.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Going back to the WDTV player - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822136997

Do you know if there is anything on the market similiar in features and price that has an internet browser? That's my only complaint about the small streaming players like Roku, Apple TV and WDTV is that none of them have a browser. I see the Revue does but am concerned since it's no longer sold/supported by Google if I am not mistaken. Thanks.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

ruanddu wrote: Do you know if there is anything on the market similiar in features and price that has an internet browser? That's my only complaint about the small streaming players like Roku, Apple TV and WDTV is that none of them have a browser. I see the Revue does but am concerned since it's no longer sold/supported by Google if I am not mistaken. Thanks.
I bought the Revue after it was discontinued. I like it. It is not true that it is not supported (and the support doesn't come from Google, and Google never sold it). Just recently (in early June), I got the upgrade to Honeycomb 3.2, but that was several months after my son got it on his Sony Google TV (February).

I would look at all the Google TV devices, although the selection is limited. There have been reports of others coming, but they aren't here yet.
http://www.google.com/tv/get.html
ataloss

Post by ataloss »

I have a Roku and a WDTV, like the wdtv for all the movies I have ripped to a hard drive.(backup copies of Dvds)
ShortInSeattle

Post by ShortInSeattle »

We use a PC running Windows Media Center. Basically it's a computer with a tuner card. The hard drive acts like a DVR, it records TV shows (we have a digital antenna to get network TV for free), and it runs hulu, netflix, and via a web browser, Amazon. Because it is a regular computer, you can get anything ypu want via web browser although there are plenty of apps. Other than our netflix subscription and the occasional purchase through Amazon, we have no TV bills. There is no monitor, we just plug the tower into our TV directly. We have a remote control with a wireless mouse built in for ease of use.

Works like a charm. You might need a geek to set it up for you.

SIS
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

There are two new Google TV devices for streaming tv. One is from Sony ($199), the other is from Vizio ($99, starting next month). My previous link still works, but points to the new devices, not the old, a change from last week.

http://www.google.com/tv/get.html
http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/26/31180 ... lity-price
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Been using a Roku for many years, it works well. Two years ago I started using a HTPC with Win7 Media Center with 4 tuners. We are OTA only, works like a champ.

We use the Roku for Netflix and the HTPC for everything else.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

We use a Roku box that we purchased through Amazon.com . We primarily stream Netflix and HBO On Demand. It works great and has a very nice HiDef picture for those shows that come in HiDef.
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
Bammerman

Post by Bammerman »

I've used Apple TV, my LG blu-ray player, a Sony streaming box, and a Roku. And of course my computer. My favorite is the Apple TV. Why? Several reasons: first, with Netflix I can pick out movies to watch, and then stream them right away. With the LG blu-ray player I had to select them first on my computer. Second: I think the Apple TV produces the most vivid picture. Third: I like the overall GUI. Fourth: I can look at my own pictures or movies (from iTunes). Fifth: I can stream videos or music to the Apple TV (and to the tv set and/or my home theatre system's speakers) from my iPad or my iPhone.

I owned a Roku briefly, and it worked fine. I returned it for the Sony, which I really dislike! Kludgy, choppy software (GUI) and small, hard to see icons of the movies or videos.

I recommend the Apple TV.
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

Bammerman wrote:I've used Apple TV, my LG blu-ray player, a Sony streaming box, and a Roku. And of course my computer. My favorite is the Apple TV. Why? Several reasons: first, with Netflix I can pick out movies to watch, and then stream them right away. With the LG blu-ray player I had to select them first on my computer. Second: I think the Apple TV produces the most vivid picture. Third: I like the overall GUI. Fourth: I can look at my own pictures or movies (from iTunes). Fifth: I can stream videos or music to the Apple TV (and to the tv set and/or my home theatre system's speakers) from my iPad or my iPhone.

I owned a Roku briefly, and it worked fine. I returned it for the Sony, which I really dislike! Kludgy, choppy software (GUI) and small, hard to see icons of the movies or videos.

I recommend the Apple TV.
I have an Apple TV as well in my living room. I love looking at pictures on it from our photo library. I end up watching HBO Go the most though and unfortunately that only works on the ROKU.

I just saw this on yahoo.com and it deals with this discussion.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/blogs/digital ... 36085.html
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Roku works for me. I use it for Netflix, which gives me everything I want.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

My Roku arrived, and I have to say, Netflix is not impressing me. In fact, I'm very disappointed with it. Am I missing something? It just seems a bunch of really old movies that you can watch on any number of sites, and a bunch of TV programs, most of which are also available elsewhere. Where are the newer movies? I'll be canceling the free 1-month subscription before they start charging me. I am going to get Hulu Plus, though. I've been a Hulu user for years, and so I've built up a good selection of show subscriptions that populate my viewing queue for me, so it's easier for me to just switch that to the TV. Apart from a couple of shows that Hulu doesn't have, Netflix is not giving me enough new stuff to make it worth $8 a month.

I wish, wish, wish you could get HBOGo without an HBO subscription. I would gladly pay separately for it, but I don't have cable, so I'm out of luck for now.

I guess for streaming newer movies and such, one is limited to renting movies from Amazon?
Sarah
Blue

Post by Blue »

englishgirl wrote:
I guess for streaming newer movies and such, one is limited to renting movies from Amazon?
We like Vudu for streaming newer movies.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

englishgirl wrote:My Roku arrived, and I have to say, Netflix is not impressing me. In fact, I'm very disappointed with it. Am I missing something?
Had the same experience a few months ago. We tried Netflix for a couple months or so but I recently canceled it due to lack of use.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

englishgirl wrote: I wish, wish, wish you could get HBOGo without an HBO subscription. I would gladly pay separately for it, but I don't have cable, so I'm out of luck for now.
Find a friend with HBO who doesn't use HBOGo. Don't tell HBO. Actually, I have been told (this is the truth this time, I don't use HBOGo so this is not my personal experience) that as long as you don't both use it at the same time (the second user is blocked), for all HBO knows your friend had Go(ne) to your house to watch.

P.S. I assume that password sharing violates at least one of your friend's terms of service with HBO, just as it does at Vanguard.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Following up on this thread to see if anyone else has other recommendations? I recently saw this product and looks promising:

http://www.vizio.com/costar/overview

My only complaint is it doesn't have anything besides hdmi audio output, as I have an older receiver with only s/pdif and optical ins.

Thanks.
cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 »

ruanddu wrote:Following up on this thread to see if anyone else has other recommendations? I recently saw this product and looks promising:

http://www.vizio.com/costar/overview

My only complaint is it doesn't have anything besides hdmi audio output, as I have an older receiver with only s/pdif and optical ins.

Thanks.
Looks very promising. My only concern is that it looks like a compliment to your existing Cable / Satellite services, not a replacement. I'm looking for a way to cut out the $50 / month bills, not add to them. Hulu free will probably be blocked so a <$10 month add-on instead of free like my current Windows Media Center setup.
Sent from my iphone

Post by 3247 »

I have 2 Apple TV's now and love em. Used to have Direct TV, about only 1 tenth of which I watched (mostly junky shows). I am not technically inclined so the simple 'plug and play' approach worked best for me. One cable, one power cord and a few on screen menus later, I was watching Netflix. Wife loves Downton Abby and I like to watch Youtube sometimes.... also enjoy the new movie "Trailers" thingy.

Post by 3247 »

Englishgirl....
Apple TV has a movie icon wherein you can rent newer movies (newer than on Netflix) from the iTunes store. Price is usually $4.99 for rental. However, you do need an Apple iTunes account.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks for the recommendations. Please keep them coming. :)
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

CNET has an article on which are currently the best streaming devices: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-200 ... ag=nl.e404
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

As a follow-up, I am still using a PC connected to my TV. I would still like to buy a smaller streaming box with the main criteria that I can surf the web. I heard from a friend that an XBOX is down $99 and you can download the Internet Explorer app to browse the internet. Anyone tried this? What are your thoughts?

What do others use for streaming to your TV?

Thanks.
wander

Post by wander »

Sony Google TV, Vizio Google TV
Ducks

Post by Ducks »

Sammy_M wrote:Regular PC with HDMI out. Everything runs through Windows Media Center (Netflix, Hulu, Video Podcasts). Also acts as a DVR and we get over the air (OTA) stations in HD quality with just a USB Tuner card. XBox in another room connects to it over Wifi and allows shows recorded on the main PC to play on it. I love this setup and it has saved me a small bundle.
This is what we do, but instead of a usb tuner card, we use a HDHomerun Prime that allows us to receive encrypted cable channels. It is so awesome, I can't believe it. Every house should have an XBox. :D
Getting our Ducks in a row since 2008.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Ducks wrote:
Sammy_M wrote:Regular PC with HDMI out. Everything runs through Windows Media Center (Netflix, Hulu, Video Podcasts). Also acts as a DVR and we get over the air (OTA) stations in HD quality with just a USB Tuner card. XBox in another room connects to it over Wifi and allows shows recorded on the main PC to play on it. I love this setup and it has saved me a small bundle.
This is what we do, but instead of a usb tuner card, we use a HDHomerun Prime that allows us to receive encrypted cable channels. It is so awesome, I can't believe it. Every house should have an XBox. :D
Do you pay for cable? Or, how does this work? Thanks.
Ducks

Post by Ducks »

ruanddu wrote:Do you pay for cable? Or, how does this work? Thanks.
We do pay for cable. We do not have a cable box, however - comcast supplies us with a cablecard that goes into the HDHomerun. The cable TV comes into the house, and goes into the HDHomerun, which sends it all over our home network, including my PC. My PC records TV and the XBox takes it to the living room.

You do not have to have a cable subscription to run the HDHomerun; you can put an antenna on top of your house, but then of course you just get broadcast channels. The HDHomerun w/o a cablecard will allow you to get Clear-QAM channels (2-29, essentially), and then the cablecard allows you to recieve premium/encrypted channels.

We have a Kinect as well, which is also cool w/ the voice commands: "XBox, Hulu Plus, Favorites, New Girl, Santa, Play" will play the correct episode. It really is pretty amazing.

Also, I should say that we have the inexpensive cable. For a long time we had "Limited Cable" for $16/mo, that gave us 2-29. Now we have decided to up that to the $30/month cable where we get TNT and A&E (and Disney/Nick Jr. for the kiddo), but we don't have Premium channels like HBO, though we do pick HBO up during Game of Thrones and then cancel it after the series is over for the season. Hulu annoys me in that for streaming to a non-computer device you are required to have Hulu Plus, and I don't want to pay for the service AND be forced to watch commercials. Netflix is $8/mo I don't need to spend if I've got the XFinity app and Redbox down the street if I really must rent something. We do have Amazon Instant Video because we have prime, but we rarely watch it, mostly because their interface is terrible.

Anyway, I feel like even though it isn't media nirvana, what we've got now is the best bang for our buck.
Getting our Ducks in a row since 2008.
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Great info, thanks.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

An option I've used is a used Mac mini desktop computer. It hardly takes up any space, runs quiet and fast, the newer ones have HDMI inputs, and up until a few years ago they had a DVD drive, so you wouldn't need a separate DVD player. Then you can just use a bluetooth keyboard and something like an Apple trackpad. Warning, though, web surfing on a big TV while laying back in a recliner can be very addictive.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Bammerman wrote: I can stream videos or music to the Apple TV (and to the tv set and/or my home theatre system's speakers) from my iPad or my iPhone.
Roku has an iPad/iPhone app that will work reasonably well streaming photos and music from iTunes to the Roku, as well as allowing remote control. It will stream AAC and MP3, but not ALAC. The Apple TV will stream ALAC, but only up to 16 bit/48KHz (it converts from Redbook 44.1KHz).https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/roku/id482066631?mt=8
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

Looking to dump cable myself. This gives me a great resource. I also agree that Netflix is just OK. WAtch more TV shows than anything else. I really like the simplicity of the Asus tablet, I'm sure others do that as well. If it gets any more high-tech, I would need help. I need to try to figure out what is best for me. Are there any other forums out there with step by step guidance?
grogs4dogs

Post by grogs4dogs »

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

ruanddu wrote:I am currently using a Dell PC for streaming Netflix and YouTube on my LCD TV. Would like to buy something smaller and use the PC in my office. Hoping to spend no more than around $200.00. Basic preferences are: 1080p, digital audio out, ability to watch Netflix and YouTube videos.

I have been most attracted to Apple TV for price point and what it can do.

How about you? What are you using?

Thanks.
I you mention 1080p and streaming in the same breath. I think that combo is pretty cutting edge at best, but maybe I have not kept up.

I use Playstation 3. It has blue ray at 1080p, but I am not sure any service I use streams at 1080p.
bUU

Post by bUU »

I had to bump my FiOS service up to 75 Mbps/35 Mbps to get 720p reliably, and we're not talking about some remote area - this is right by the middle of the 128 tech corridor north of Boston
PatSea

Post by PatSea »

With the HDHomeRun Primw setup can I get cable networks like Fox News, Fox Business, HGTV? What cable sevice do I need?
bUU

Post by bUU »

PatSea wrote:With the HDHomeRun Primw setup can I get cable networks like Fox News, Fox Business, HGTV? What cable sevice do I need?
HDHomeRun PRIME supports CableCARD™ conditional access, providing access to the premium cable channels from your PC. That means that it essentially just replaces your cable box (and puts the programming up on your computer screen, or transports it to your television via MCE or XBox). You still have to subscribe to whatever level of service carries the channels you want, with your cable company.

There is a lower version of the product, HDHomeRun, It can connect directly to the incoming cable line to receive the unencrypted digital cable (“ClearQAM”). However, very few service providers still provide that many cable networks via ClearQAM anymore. As a matter of fact, the FCC recently changes the rules such that cable providers can encrypt even local channels, without getting a specific exemption, so folks with the basic HDHomeRun product may find themselves losing access to even their local channels.
galectin

Post by galectin »

We have a Roku box and an Apple TV box hooked up to two different sets that we mostly use for streaming Netflix, and they both work fine. We manage the Netflix queue from a laptop because it is easier.

For other streaming we have a PC hooked up to our main TV. With a wireless mouse and keyboard we can sit on our couch and navigate the screen, although the text tends to be small enough that I need to pull a chair near the TV to see it.

A PC would work for streaming everything if you have it available.
PatSea

Post by PatSea »

So does HDHomeRun Prime just save me the monthly rental cost of the cable box? We use the DVR on gthe cable box a lot? If I give up the cable box, how do I record TV shows? Do I save them on my PC hard drive?
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I have a related question. What is the best streaming option if you are a sports fan? I realize I can get ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox over "rabbit ears", but what about the ESPN network or Fox Sports Network? A minor consideration is watching CNBC.
bUU

Post by bUU »

PatSea wrote:So does HDHomeRun Prime just save me the monthly rental cost of the cable box?
The "Prime" product - Yes. The non-"Prime" product is intended for folks who are giving up cable channels (completely) - in other words, for people who are willing to live with just ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, Fox, and independent local over-the-air channels only - so you "save" the cost of cable entirely that way. Of course, giving up 200+ channels isn't really "saving" in my book - it's sacrificing. ;)
PatSea wrote:We use the DVR on gthe cable box a lot? If I give up the cable box, how do I record TV shows? Do I save them on my PC hard drive?
Yes.

topper1296 wrote:I have a related question. What is the best streaming option if you are a sports fan? I realize I can get ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox over "rabbit ears", but what about the ESPN network or Fox Sports Network? A minor consideration is watching CNBC.
I just saw another thread somewhere about this. ESPN3.com is a possibility. It's a deliberately low-budget set of ESPN programming, not the main ESPN programming. You should know that you're actually already paying for it, if it is available to you. If your ISP doesn't pay ESPN a special fee on your behalf (which of course, they probably pass along to you as part of your high-speed Internet services) then ESPN3.com blocks connections from your ISP.

In general, though, you're not going to find a way to do away with cable, and then still get cable network programming without paying for it.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Petrocelli wrote:I use a Blue Ray player that is Netflix compatible. You should be able to get one that is under $200.
+1 and probably a good bit under $100 now.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I use an Oppo Blu-Ray player with Netflix streaming. Also have the Netflix DVD+Blu-Ray plan because the streaming selection is comparatively limited.