If I take standard deduction on Fed, can I itemize on State?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Jerilynn

If I take standard deduction on Fed, can I itemize on State?

Post by Jerilynn »

For Arkansas, the answer is yes.

I'm assuming that it's the same in most other States.

Enter the rules for your State and we will have a little database here.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Alan S.

Re: If I take standard deduction on Fed, can I itemize on St

Post by Alan S. »

AZ - Yes. And it's more likely to happen because Medical is deductible from the first dollar and AZ standard deduction is lower than federal std deduction.
kd2008

Post by kd2008 »

I had never even of thought of this. How clever! Could you also please post the source of this information? Thanks!

NO such luck in Oklahoma!

http://www.tax.ok.gov/it1a.html
Information Regarding Itemized Deductions:

Oklahoma itemized deductions are the same as currently defined in the IRS code. If you itemized on your Oklahoma return, you must have itemized on your Federal return.
But you do get the same standard deduction as Federal. The personal exemption is not same though.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

CA:
If you did not itemize deductions on your federal income tax return but will itemize deductions for your Form 540, first complete federal Schedule A (Form 1040), Itemized Deductions. Then complete Schedule CA (540), Part II, line 38 through line 44. Attach both the federal Schedule A (Form 1040) and California Schedule CA (540) to the back of your tax return.
Instructions for Form 540.

The source for most state tax information will come from the state tax instructions. At least that's my principal source for this sort of information.
mikep

Post by mikep »

How about the other way around? I think that would be more common, as the std deduction hurdle is more easily overcome without a deduction for state taxes, but then state std deduction is lower so it may be a wash anyway.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

In NC your state and fed (Standard or Itemized) must be the same.
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
porcupine

Post by porcupine »

Jerilynn wrote:For Arkansas, the answer is yes.

I'm assuming that it's the same in most other States.

Enter the rules for your State and we will have a little database here.
In FL, you cannot! :oops:

- Porcupine
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

VA = no, you have to use the same for both fed and state. Virginia taxation technique is based on federal AGI.

CO = no, but basically moot as we use federal taxable income to figure Colorado tax.
Cuzz35

Post by Cuzz35 »

In GA you use whatever you used on the federal.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks to the State of Wisconsin, the database is already compiled. It's in the wiki: State income taxes, click on the link in the "information" box at the top of the page.

Direct link: Individual Income Tax Provisions in the States

There's quite a bit of information here. Starting on Page 15, each state is covered in detail. The top right corner covers the federal vs. state deductions. Those that have already posted should double-check against these tables.

Remember that the only official source of information is your state tax publications. This one is from a government source, so it should be accurate.
porcupine wrote:In FL, you cannot! :oops: - Porcupine
FL does not have a state income tax. :)

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (taxes).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

LadyGeek wrote:Thanks to the State of Wisconsin, the database is already compiled. It's in the wiki: State income taxes, click on the link in the "information" box at the top of the page.

Direct link: Individual Income Tax Provisions in the States
I don't think this link answers the question. Compare AZ (yes), CA (yes), and OK (no):
Itemized:
Federal itemized deductions.
Major Differences from Federal Law:
Medical Expenses: Expenses are not reduced as a percent of AGI.
Charitable Contributions: Cannot claim same contributions used for credit.
Gambling Losses: Adjust to reflect lottery exclusion.

Itemized:
State itemized deductions.
Major Differences from Federal Law:
Taxes: State, local, and foreign income taxes, state and local sales taxes, and state disability insurance are not deductible.

Itemized:
Federal itemized deductions, except federal deduction for new motor vehicle taxes not allowed.
I don't read any of these as saying you can or cannot itemize if you use the standard deduction on your federal return. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Good point. It's not answering this specific question (can I do this or not?). It is describing what is allowable in terms of federal vs. state itemized deductions.

In some cases, the question can be answered with this information. In others, it can't.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
scrabbler1

Post by scrabbler1 »

In New York, you cannot itemize your deductions if you took the federal standard deduction or did not file a federal income tax return. That is the gist of the opening instructions relating to Itemized versus Standard Deduction in the NY Income tax booklet.

It is not very likely that you would be able to itemize in NY if you took the SD federally. NY's SD is $7,500 which is more than the federal one (single filers), and your state itemized deduction will be lower due to excluding your state income taxes (and perhaps some other things). For many years I itemized on the federal return but took the SD for state.
Topic Author
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

kd2008 wrote:I had never even of thought of this. Could you also please post the source of this information?
I called the Ark Dept of Finance and Admin and specifically asked.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Connecticut uses agi with additions and subtractions that aren't related to federal deductions.
dbr

Post by dbr »

My state transfers Federal taxable income. That means if you did not itemize Federal, you cannot itemize state; if you did itemize Federal, you have to itemize state, because you just did. There are then some corrections, the most notable of which would be to remove the Federal deduction of state income tax, if you itemized Federal.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

The list at State income taxes is not complete; if you are a wiki editor from another state, please add your state there. But from that list:

AL: No restriction.
AZ: No restriction.
CA: No restriction.
DE: No restriction.
IN: No restriction.
MD: Must use state standard deduction if federal standard deduction was used.
MA: No standard deduction. Only medical expenses and business expenses deductible, and only if federal itemized deductions were used.
MI: No deductions.
NJ: No standard deduction. Only property tax (or 18% of rent) and medical expenses over 2% of income are deductible, but these can be deducted even if federal standard deduction was used.
NY: Must use state standard deduction if federal standard deduction was used.
PA: No deductions.
VA: Must use state standard or itemized deductions according to what was used on federal return.
Wiki David Grabiner