Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
Xanadu

Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Post by Xanadu »

Similar to Facebook, why not add a "like" button feature to posters comments? I often see posts that I want to express my "likeness" for, but don't want to quote the whole post just to say "great post!". Just a thought. :D
gkaplan

Re: Why not add a "like" button to Boglehead posts?

Post by gkaplan »

Similar to Facebook, why not add a "like" button feature to posters comments? I often see posts that I want to express my "likeness" for, but don't want to quote the whole post just to say "great post!". Just a thought.
Just use part of the quote and use ellipses for the missing test.

(Count me as one not wanting a "like" button. This is an investing forum, not a social forum.)
Gordon
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Please no like button. I'm not 12.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

They should be orange. :)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

One forum I frequent (crazyguyonabike.com) has an agree tag that can be clicked to replace separate posts with only the smily face/thumbs up graphics in them.

Like that idea.

Ray
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

gkaplan wrote:This is an investing forum, not a social forum.)
agree

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Topic Author
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

pennstater2005 wrote:Please no like button. I'm not 12.
I'm not 12 either.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Just because Facebook does it doesn't mean it's somehow reserved for social networking or 12 year olds. It could conceivably be a way to allow readers to focus on the posts that other people found the most useful. Given the amount of time I spend her relative to some others, I'd personally find this useful, especially for threads that I've missed and have expanded to several pages.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Xanadu wrote:
I'm not 12 either.
So no one's 12 then. Good to see so much agreement here. This would be a good use for a like button--everyone could agree that they're not 12.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's been discussed before, check this thread: I Wish There Was. "Like" Button. The short answer is that there will not be any "like" button in this forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Munir

Post by Munir »

LadyGeek wrote:It's been discussed before, check this thread: I Wish There Was. "Like" Button. The short answer is that there will not be any "like" button in this forum.
+1 :)
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

gkaplan wrote:[...(Count me as one not wanting a "like" button. This is an investing forum, not a social forum.)
+1
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

I like this post :thumbsup
There, that felt good...

Disclosure, I do not do Facebook, I am still climbing out of the 20th century
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Ryan_in_Chi

Post by Ryan_in_Chi »

I understand not wanting a "Like" button.

But, one of the forums I visit has a "Thanks" button. I like that. It would be nice to be able to thank people for a post where you learn something, but have nothing to add to merit responding. Something to consider.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Has it really been that long since Morningstar's botched forum adjustments? Am I the only one who remembers the little orange flags and how much fun we had with them?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

LadyGeek wrote:It's been discussed before, check this thread: I Wish There Was. "Like" Button. The short answer is that there will not be any "like" button in this forum.
"Like"
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

EmergDoc wrote:Has it really been that long since Morningstar's botched forum adjustments? Am I the only one who remembers the little orange flags and how much fun we had with them?
No, see this post. Your response followed. :)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Xanadu wrote:Similar to Facebook, why not add a "like" button feature to posters comments? I often see posts that I want to express my "likeness" for, but don't want to quote the whole post just to say "great post!". Just a thought. :D
There are a lot of problems with a like button, but the primary problem is it adds no value. Who cares if you or I agree with a post? If it is that important to show your affirmation, surely you have something constructive to add, no?

It's also not precise. Do you completely agree with everything in the post, or mostly agree? Or agree with the primary notion put forward?

Finally, if we don't know who you are, what good is your "like" recommendation? Why should we have anonymous voting on a forum where people are searching for the right answers, not the most popular ones?

JT
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sheepdog wrote:"Like"
:thumbsup BTW, there's also: :thumbsdown Click on "View more smilies" under the main list.

I have a feeling I shouldn't have mentioned that. :oops:
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

On-line approval indicators makes some people become "karma whores".
Topic Author
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

bottlecap wrote: There are a lot of problems with a like button, but the primary problem is it adds no value. Who cares if you or I agree with a post? If it is that important to show your affirmation, surely you have something constructive to add, no?
I disagree. So far in this thread alone, ive seen 4 posts with one-liners such as "+1" or "agree". To me this pollutes the thread and requires extra mouse-scrolling on my part. A simple button would resolve this, and to me that's where the value is. Also, I bet for those 4 people, there were probably 100 others that also agreed, but just didn't want to add to add the extra post. A button would add lots of value from this perspective as well.
It's also not precise. Do you completely agree with everything in the post, or mostly agree? Or agree with the primary notion put forward?
yes.
Finally, if we don't know who you are, what good is your "like" recommendation? Why should we have anonymous voting on a forum where people are searching for the right answers, not the most popular ones?
who said is has to be anonymous? on facebook you can see everyone who likes your posts.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

Because we diversifying,we like everyone who posting here. 8-)
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Xanadu wrote:I disagree. So far in this thread alone, ive seen 4 posts with one-liners such as "+1" or "agree". To me this pollutes the thread and requires extra mouse-scrolling on my part. A simple button would resolve this, and to me that's where the value is.
I meant that it adds no content value. I don't know about your mouse, but mine scrolls easily up and down the page with little effort. You could put a new mouse on your Christmas wish list!

JT
chaz

Post by chaz »

Fallible wrote:
gkaplan wrote:[...(Count me as one not wanting a "like" button. This is an investing forum, not a social forum.)
+1
+2.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
jonesy

Post by jonesy »

:thumbsup
chaz

Post by chaz »

LadyGeek wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:"Like"
:thumbsup BTW, there's also: :thumbsdown Click on "View more smilies" under the main list.

I have a feeling I shouldn't have mentioned that. :oops:
You set off jonesy.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

bottlecap wrote:
Xanadu wrote:I disagree. So far in this thread alone, ive seen 4 posts with one-liners such as "+1" or "agree". To me this pollutes the thread and requires extra mouse-scrolling on my part. A simple button would resolve this, and to me that's where the value is.
I meant that it adds no content value. I don't know about your mouse, but mine scrolls easily up and down the page with little effort. You could put a new mouse on your Christmas wish list!

JT
I would agree with you that it adds minimal content value at best. I probably wouldn't value a post much more if it had a "like"/"agree"/(insert clever verb here), just as much as I don't really value the posts that just say "+1" after a long quote. It's not that it adds content value so much as people just want a way to say "heck yea, i hear what your saying!". Maybe its just me, but I'd rather have some kind of "+1" counter on the original post rather scrolling through these extra posts that have "no content value". I looked for a mouse on Amazon that will automatically scroll through these for me, but haven't found one yet. :wink:
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I'd like a like button. Just sayin'.
Sarah
ndchamp

Post by ndchamp »

I don't want a "Like" button.
Now, a "Dislike" button might be worth considering. :annoyed
gotherelate

Post by gotherelate »

Ryan_in_Chi wrote:I understand not wanting a "Like" button.

But, one of the forums I visit has a "Thanks" button. I like that. It would be nice to be able to thank people for a post where you learn something, but have nothing to add to merit responding. Something to consider.
We already have a "Thanks" button. His name is chaz. :wink:
-Grandpa | I'd rather see where I'm going than see where I've been.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

The posts that stand out for me are the posts I don't like. They state as fact things that aren't true; they are responses to posts that the poster clearly did not bother to read; etc. There are so many ways a post can be bad. At a minimum, I would like a FF button (false facts) and a TR (try reading) button for those posts. These buttons would save me a lot of typing time (and might help keep me out of trouble).

Just as a like button might lead others to read a good post, we should give as much effort to steering people away from bad posts.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:
+1
+2.
As this a financial forum you should reply with +$, +$$, etc., rather than +1, +2 ...

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

VictoriaF wrote:
chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:
+1
+2.
As this a financial forum you should reply with +$, +$$, etc., rather than +1, +2 ...

Victoria
+$
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

The value of a "like" button isn't to add to the forum experience, it's to draw in more readers.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

KyleAAA wrote:The value of a "like" button isn't to add to the forum experience, it's to draw in more readers.
How are people outside the forum going to see the like buttons? I am having trouble reconciling the "forum experience" that you are not adding to and "draw in."
Topic Author
Xanadu

Post by Xanadu »

sscritic wrote:The posts that stand out for me are the posts I don't like. They state as fact things that aren't true; they are responses to posts that the poster clearly did not bother to read; etc. There are so many ways a post can be bad. At a minimum, I would like a FF button (false facts) and a TR (try reading) button for those posts. These buttons would save me a lot of typing time (and might help keep me out of trouble).

Just as a like button might lead others to read a good post, we should give as much effort to steering people away from bad posts.
Xanadu likes this.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

sscritic wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:The value of a "like" button isn't to add to the forum experience, it's to draw in more readers.
How are people outside the forum going to see the like buttons? I am having trouble reconciling the "forum experience" that you are not adding to and "draw in."
Well if you use the facebook like buttons, it automatically happens.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

sscritic wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:
+1
+2.

Victoria
+$
+$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :sharebeer
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Fallible wrote:+$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :sharebeer
:sharebeer

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Valley Girl wrote:I was like, browsing this super cool website, you know. And like, this totally awesome guy was, like, posting some radical stuff that I totally liked. And I was like, I think he's like, well, you know, likeable, for sure.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I don't like this post. How would I indicate that in the new system? I have never used facebook and will not. Do they have a not like or can you only like something? And sometimes I like something a little and sometimes I love it.
chaz

Post by chaz »

gotherelate wrote:
Ryan_in_Chi wrote:I understand not wanting a "Like" button.

We already have a "Thanks" button. His name is chaz. :wink:
You got that right.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I agree.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Calm Man wrote:I don't like this post. How would I indicate that in the new system? I have never used facebook and will not. Do they have a not like or can you only like something? And sometimes I like something a little and sometimes I love it.
The liking is outside Facebook. You read an article. You like it. You click on a button with an f on it (I think it is blue). That creates a post inside Facebook. I have never liked anything in my life, although I do have a Facebook account with zero friends. I could be all wrong about how it works. If I am close to correct, then I am not sure if bogleheads is the outside or the inside in this scenario. Ah, facts.
The Like button is one of Facebook's social plug-ins, which are for use on websites outside Facebook, a feature which launched April 21, 2010, as part of Facebook's Open Graph, an interface for integrating websites with Facebook's social graph. Speaking at Facebook's F8 developer conference on the day of the launch CEO Mark Zuckerberg said, "we are building a Web where the default is social."

Since then the feature has aroused scrutiny over privacy concerns because the social plug-ins allow Facebook to track visitors to participating sites across the web, even if those visitors do not click the Like button, are logged out of Facebook, or are not Facebook users at all. The Like button is implemented similarly to an advertising network, and as more sites participate, gives Facebook a vast amount of information about who visits which sites, and when.
Yup, that's just what I want for bogleheads: Mark Zuckerberg knowing everything I do.

Or would it be Alex knowing everything I do when I am not on bogleheads? As I said, I don't know who is in and who is out.
FillorKill

Post by FillorKill »

How about these buttons:

- Contempt
- Ridicule
- Dismissal
- Not worthy of comment
- Vote poster out of the forum
- You deserve a timeout
- Is that a serious question?
- Do you really believe that?

Those we could use... :wink:
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

ss critic, I have added something called "ghostery" as what they call a plug in for my Mozilla firefox browser. So the "f" doesn't show up anymore and I am happy I am not in the facebook universe. I actually have an account with 2 friends (daughter and some person who I accepted a frendship from but is not my friend) but removed all information once I learned about privacy issues.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

I'm a moderator on an academically-oriented forum that has a moderately strong social component. (We nerds have to stick together, you know.) A few times a year, we get requests to add a "Like" button or something similar. We don't do it because we think the technical quality or reliability of a post isn't something that should be judged by an open vote. Basically, most people reading a post aren't going to bother to vote, and it's too easy for a small group of people to skew the results in undesirable ways.

To help people identify posts that are likely to be good, the moderators as a group award "medals" to regular posters that we think are reliable and display a good attitude. A poster's medal shows up underneath his/her username on all posts.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
dandan14

What the forum is missing... [ability to upvote posts]

Post by dandan14 »

[Thread merged into here. --admin LadyGeek]

Often a post can have lots of posts/replies but not be valuable. Then there can be a hidden gem with only a few replies, but tons of value.
What the forum needs really badly is the ability to up-vote. You see this on sites like Reddit.com and on forums like fatwallet.com. With that feature, it becomes much easier to locate the most valuable content.

Surely there is a phpbb mod for this.

Thoughts?

Dan
Sidney

Re: What the forum is missing...

Post by Sidney »

I seem to recall that this has come up before. I believe the forum admins have said that they don't support this idea.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
dandan14

Re: What the forum is missing...

Post by dandan14 »

I'd be curious to hear their rationale. Seems like a very useful thing.