Tempur-Pedic mattresses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Tempur-Pedic mattresses

Post by BuckyBadger »

Does anyone have one who would like to comment? We've never really even HAD a new mattress, and the one we have now is saggy and lumpy and driving me crazy. The TempurPedic ones seem SO comfortable, but also SO expensive.

Thoughts? Are they worth it?

We'd be getting a king, if that makes any difference...
yosef

Re: Tempur-Pedic mattresses

Post by yosef »

We have the Cloud (Queen) and like it very much. They are expensive no doubt but worth it if you like the feel considering how much time you spend in bed.
Blues

Post by Blues »

We've had ours for about two years now and we are very satisfied. A very worthwhile investment (in your health) imho.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I wouldn't buy one without fully exploring the option of a latex mattress.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

We have the very top of the line adjustable, which is truly a great bed. But we didn't pay retail and I doubt we would have bought anything as expensive if we hadn't been able to get a discount through my wife's brother who is a furniture salesman. That said, it is a wonderfully comfortrable bed.

gatorman
midareff

Post by midareff »

BuckyBadger wrote:Does anyone have one who would like to comment? We've never really even HAD a new mattress, and the one we have now is saggy and lumpy and driving me crazy. The TempurPedic ones seem SO comfortable, but also SO expensive.

As a severe osteoarthritic I tried one in the showroom perhaps 22 or 23 years ago and loved it. Had it delivered and after about ten years the foam on my side started to sag. They came out and inspected it (no charge) and replaced the mattress completely (also no charge). The (replacement) mattress is still like new and as I said the original purchase was a couple decades ago. I use the mattress on a platform bed without a "box spring or equivalent" under support, just the platform bed itself. It was expenive, it is super comfortable, I sleep better on it then any hotel or motel mattress, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Hope it helps.
"
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Tempurpedic has name recognition and a huge advertising budget, enabling very high prices. They also play hardball with their retailers, pretty much eliminating sales and price competition. There are lots of memory foam alternatives out now that generally cost a lot less than Tempurpedic, though still pretty expensive.

You can shop at mattress stores and find other memory foam beds. You can also find options online. We bought a memory foam mattress online for about 1/3 the price of Temperpedic. I don't recall the website or brand, but I know it's made in the USA. Watch out for the really cheap Chinese memory foam, which reportedly has toxic components and smells horribly.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Ours has been completely satisfactory and extremely durable. I've lost track of how long we've had it--definitely over fifteen years. That makes it as low a cost per year as any other mattress we've had. I'd recommend it with two provisos.

The first is that there are now a lot of cheaper knockoffs, not available when we bought ours, and I have no idea whether they would be worth investigating.

The second is that they are very very different in feeling from any other kind of mattress, and I would absolutely buy one from a place that offers 30-day return privileges and quiz them on just how it works and be prepared to return it. Don't be put off by the negative-sounding things I'm about to say but keep them in mind when you try the mattress out. It is a very dead, totally unspringy surface, like lying in sand. The mattress immediately shapes itself to your body creating a very comfortable depression--not like a hammock--but one that takes a little effort to roll out of. They said in a blurb that you shift position less often on a memory-foam mattress and I absolutely believe it, but I am not sure that's necessarily a positive--my aging veins need a refreshing change of position now and then. And, beds have more than one use, and TempurPedics might not be the equipment of first choice for the Playboy Mansion.

The form-fitting characteristic makes them a little warmer underneath than a traditional mattress.

Isolation from a sleeping partner is excellent. I would not know your sleeping companion had turned over apart from blanket tugging and the occasional accidental swat from an errant limb.
Last edited by nisiprius on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
dhodson

Post by dhodson »

i think you are being a little naive to believe the errant limb is accidental. :D
Skinut

Post by Skinut »

I'll add to the positive comments you've received from others. I have a Cloud model in a king, it is great, yes it was expensive, but my justification came from the fact that I'll spend roughly 1/3 of everyday in it, which is far less than what I spend in my car, yet I payed considerably more for that. I also think paying for a good nights sleep and waking up refreshed every day is a plus.

I believe I paid about $2,500 for the total package, included 2 free pillows and a set of sheets (which I told them they could keep for an added discount off the bed)

Good luck :beer
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

BuckyBadger wrote:Does anyone have one who would like to comment? We've never really even HAD a new mattress, and the one we have now is saggy and lumpy and driving me crazy. The TempurPedic ones seem SO comfortable, but also SO expensive.

Worth it. Some people think it feels hot, but I don't find it hot.

JT
vital15

Post by vital15 »

Wow good feedback and thanks OP for starting the thread. We are in the market for a new mattress too and I'm seriously considering a tempurpedic. My biggest hesitation is that some reviewers claim it gets very hot and I am definitely a hot sleeper. Anyone know if any competitor's product is better in this regard? I also noticed tempurpedic just introduced a new line that is supposed to stay cool. Anyone try this yet?
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

This summer I got the cheapest mattress that Tempurpedic makes (Tempur-simplicity) and it is the best purchase I've made in my adult life. Awesome sleep quality and no more back pain. A hotel I stayed at a few months prior to that had tempurpedic mattresses, so I already had some experience sleeping on one and knew I liked it.

I am a very heat intolerant individual and I have no problems overheating on this mattress.
TRC

Post by TRC »

Worth checking out the Serta I-Comfort as well. We bought one and absolutely love it. They claim to sleep "cooler" than the Tempur-Pedic. I also think they are significantly less expensive. We went with the medium stiffness and LOVE IT.
edge

Post by edge »

We had a tempur pedic for a week. I returned it. I sleep warm and what ended up happening is that the warmer I got, the squish-ier the mattress became. It ended up basically enveloping me, causing even more heat and worse support.

We ended up getting a pure latex bliss mattress and would highly recommend it. I sleep cool and the support is consistent.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Here's a link to a previous Bogleheads thread on Tempurpedic:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73683

I bought mine for comfort, but as it turned out I needed its therapeutic benefits throughout the past year, recovering from various medical and surgical insults. My tempurpedic was the only place I was comfortable. No skin breakdown, no soreness of any kind despite spending way more than normal time in bed. Thankfully I only need it at night now.

I hope you never need it for those reasons, but it sure will help prevent illness-related complications.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

Christine_NM wrote:Here's a link to a previous Bogleheads thread on Tempurpedic:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73683

I bought mine for comfort, but as it turned out I needed its therapeutic benefits throughout the past year, recovering from various medical and surgical insults. My tempurpedic was the only place I was comfortable. No skin breakdown, no soreness of any kind despite spending way more than normal time in bed. Thankfully I only need it at night now.

I hope you never need it for those reasons, but it sure will help prevent illness-related complications.
That other thread stopped just when it was starting to get interesting!!
OneWorld111

Post by OneWorld111 »

Just love it. We are mid thirty couple and the best investment we made is buying this Tempurpedic mattress 3 years ago. We brought the Rhapshody model.

What I have noticed is that I sleep more now during the weekends...

Regards,
energy
Topic Author
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

I tend to be forced out of bed on the weekends because my back hurts so much... It stinks because I'm still tired and i want to sleep, but I just can't stay in bed a second longer.

I'm liking the responses here -- I'll have to share this thread with my husband!
swaption

Post by swaption »

bungalow10 wrote:I wouldn't buy one without fully exploring the option of a latex mattress.

+++1

I can't even begin to describe how fantastic my Sealy Latex mattress has been. The only downside was i had to buy my kids better mattresses because I couldn't get them out of my bed.
mephistophles

Post by mephistophles »

Bought a tempurpedic earlier this year and really like it. Figured the extra expense was worth it as it should last for the rest of our lifetimes and beyond. And, with no innersprings going soft, won't have to deal with with a lumpy and soft-spot mattress in the future.
webslinger

Post by webslinger »

Several months ago I recall reading a mattress thread on the forum which I found quite informative and useful.

We purchased the Tempurpedic Cloud on an adjustable frame (I believe it is called the Ergo).
Without question, it has been by far the Best and most comfortable bed we have ever owned and worth every penny.

Both of us suffered from sore and stiff backs. Between the memory foam and adjustable bed settings, we wake up completely refreshed and without lower back pains. No more visits to the chiropractor!

As others have mentioned, your body sinks into the foam and you tend to move around much less. At first this does feel a bit strange but you quickly become accustomed to it. One very nice side benefit of the foam mattress is that your movements and changes in position are muted by the foam making them much less noticeable to your partner.

The one negative is that the mattress did have a slight unpleasant odor which took several months to dissipate. The first 30 days was the worst. Fortunately, it was late summer so we were able to keep the windows open and air out the room. Tempurpedic warned us that this was normal.

One more point. If you like to use a mattress pad (protective cover) as many people do, you should buy one from Tempurpedic as theirs are thin and designed to work with the mattress while offering the protective properties. Standard bed covers and pads will be too thick and detract from the memory foam.

When we ought our bed, Tempurpedic offered $100 off, free shipping and set up, and offered us three free pillows and covers ( after I politely asked).
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

I do a back flip onto our Rhapsody every night.

But first we open the windows, even in winter. No need for a heated blanket.
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

The Tempurpedic is absolutely worth the money to those who love them, and they don't cost that much more than a boxspring of comparable quality. Chronic pain people consider these to be the best mattress overall. But either you love them or you hate them; some people find they hold too much heat, and others can't get comfortable on memory foam (I am in the latter category).

You can make a "hybrid" mattress by putting a layer of memory foam on top of an inexpensive innerspring mattress. Some people consider this the best of both worlds, others feel it is a compromise.

Latex is quite different from memory foam. It is a good alternative for people who sleep hot, and some pain people prefer them. But again, some people love latex and some people hate it.

If you prefer a boxspring, avoid Sealy, Serta, Sterns and Foster, and Simmons. All of these manufacturers significantly downgraded their quality since you last bought a mattress; they are no longer intended to last beyond 5-7 years, and often become uncomfortable long before that. The top of the line mattresses don't appear to last longer than the entry level ones. However if you are on a tight budget many people recommend buying an unpadded mattress from one of these manufacturers and adding your own mattress topper.
Sam314159

Post by Sam314159 »

We have a true Tempurpedic we received as a gift, and also a knockoff we bought for daughter from Costco. I like both and notice no difference in quality. Go with Costco.
dgm

Post by dgm »

if you tend to sleep hot, i would not recommend it. we got one and it is too hot for me.

it also restricts to literally two sleeping positions. perfectly on your side or perfectly on your back.

not worth the arm and leg in my opinion. wish i went w/ latex
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

You spend so much time on a bed. Why would you want to sleep on a mattress soaked in flame retardants since it is so highly flammable and breath all those chemicals? :oops:

We were shopping for a mattress a couple of years ago and ended up learning a lot more about mattress. I believe in spending the money on a quality mattress. You spend so much time on it and a good night sleep has a direct affect on your daily life.

We considered the Tempur-Pedic bed but found them to be a very bad choice for us.

-they are petroleum based
-do not breath & traps heat (the newer ones they are addressing the problem but still the mattress doesn't breath compared to others)
-outgases fumes (the first few months the most but still some after that)
-overpriced for what you get
-can cause allergies

http://tempurpedic.pissedconsumer.com/

http://www.bbb.org/lexington/business-r ... ky-4000272

We ended going with a natural 100% latex mattress and it has been outstanding. It is covered in a cotton and wool. Those are the only materials in the whole mattress. I would recommend finding a seller that sells 100% latex mattress and try one out. If you are in the No. Cal. area I can recommend a great place where we got ours.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Another vote for latex, though I know it's a personal preference and many people are very happy on memory foam. For what it's worth, Tempur-pedic and high-quality latex both have extremely high (and similar) satisfaction rates - try both.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Polar_Ice wrote:You spend so much time on a bed. Why would you want to sleep on a mattress soaked in flame retardants since it is so highly flammable and breath all those chemicals? :oops:

We were shopping for a mattress a couple of years ago and ended up learning a lot more about mattress. I believe in spending the money on a quality mattress. You spend so much time on it and a good night sleep has a direct affect on your daily life.

We considered the Tempur-Pedic bed but found them to be a very bad choice for us.

-they are petroleum based
-do not breath & traps heat (the newer ones they are addressing the problem but still the mattress doesn't breath compared to others)
-outgases fumes (the first few months the most but still some after that)
-overpriced for what you get
-can cause allergies

http://tempurpedic.pissedconsumer.com/

http://www.bbb.org/lexington/business-r ... ky-4000272

We ended going with a natural 100% latex mattress and it has been outstanding. It is covered in a cotton and wool. Those are the only materials in the whole mattress. I would recommend finding a seller that sells 100% latex mattress and try one out. If you are in the No. Cal. area I can recommend a great place where we got ours.
+++++1

As someone who is of reproduction age, as well as having little kids, there is NO WAY I would buy a Tempur-pedic. But then we love our natural latex with organic wool/cotton exterior.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
arkerr123

Post by arkerr123 »

I am an electromechanical engineer and I design hospital mattresses for a large company - However, we do work with foam mattresses and compare against many compeditors. We have done extensive testing on Tempurpedic.

While Tempurpedic can be comfortable when initially laying on it, the foam does not dissipate heat. I absolutely detest the product as it causes people's skin temperatures to rise too much and causes excessive sweating.

I recommend Tempurpedic only for those individuals who are always cold.
xplorer

Post by xplorer »

We went through 3 replacement mattresses in six years (all under warranty) before buying a Tempur-Pedic two years ago. Our previous steel frame mattresses always broke down and the depression resulted in sore backs. The Tempur-Pedic has held its shape longer and still continues to out perform. We had been forewarned about the mattress's initial high odor but that didn't last more than a week or two. We welcomed the "heat" issue -- the older we get the more heat we seem to like!
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I have and recommend a quality spring with a latex integrated "topper". I will probably entertain a pure latex mattress next go around.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

We own both a Tempur-pedic and a house brand generic memory foam mattress from a big New England area furniture store (Jordan's). Both are very comfortable. However, the genuine Tempur-pedic is worth the extra money in my opinion for the following reasons:
1) When my wife rolls over or gets up, I really don't feel it at all in the TP. I do feel it somewhat on the no-name.
2) I can sleep nearly the entire night on the TP and turn over once, maybe twice. You just sink in and sleep. The no-name is much better than a conventional mattress, but no match for the TP in this regard.
3) The TP form fits quicker than the no-name, although it can feel a bit cooler when you first get in bed. It warms up to body temp fairly quickly.

I'm not saying the no-name isn't good, it's just that the genuine TP is so great.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

arkerr123 wrote: While Tempurpedic can be comfortable when initially laying on it, the foam does not dissipate heat. I absolutely detest the product as it causes people's skin temperatures to rise too much and causes excessive sweating.

Nonsense.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Gort

Post by Gort »

Stonebr wrote:
arkerr123 wrote: While Tempurpedic can be comfortable when initially laying on it, the foam does not dissipate heat. I absolutely detest the product as it causes people's skin temperatures to rise too much and causes excessive sweating.

Nonsense.
Well, call me nonsensical then. I had one, very comfortable buy very, very hot. I used it for a year then replaced it with a traditional mattress (Sterns and Foster, firm, pillow top). I find the S&F is just as comfortable as the Tempur-Pedic and I sleep much cooler.
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

It doesn't make sense to tell any given individual to use or avoid any particular style of mattress, because comfort is very individual. Not everyone finds memory foam hot, so just because you do does not mean the next guy will. I am perfectly convinced that tempurpedic is best for my type of back pain, but unfortunately I hate memory foam and can't find a comfortable position. I love latex, but my husband only tolerates it for my sake. Many people rave about air-adjustable mattresses (sleep number being the best known). Some people sleep just fine on just about anything. So the first step is to identify what type of bed you like, and not worry about what other people prefer.

Advice on quality is a different story. There are high and low quality memory foams, high and low quality latex beds, high and low and dreadful quality innerspring mattresses. You need to do your homework if you don't want to overpay but also don't want to get stuck with a lemon. And while I don't have first hand experience with tempurpedic myself, my chronic pain forced me to do a lot of homework and I can confirm that of the major brands/types it has the highest percentage of loyal adherents who consider it well worth the premium.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

We had a Tempur-Pedic and I loved it. Slept wonderfully and was never hot even though I have thermoregulatory issues on a regular mattress and often had night sweats. My wife wasn't in love with the Tempur-Pedic and swapped it out for a latex mattress one week when I was away. She likes the latex better but I don't like it as much as the Tempur-Pedic. I am back to the occasional night sweats although not as often as on a regular mattress. As far as off gassing and allergies - I have never heard of someone having a serious allergy to memory foam, I have definitely seen cases of people with life threatening allergies to natural latex. I agree that mattress preferences are a very personal choice. Find a place that has a money back guarantee. Good sleep!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
DiscoBunny1979

Post by DiscoBunny1979 »

TRC wrote:Worth checking out the Serta I-Comfort as well. We bought one and absolutely love it. They claim to sleep "cooler" than the Tempur-Pedic. I also think they are significantly less expensive. We went with the medium stiffness and LOVE IT.
--------

A month ago spent the bucks on the Serta I-Comfort King bed. It came with a 25 year warranty (prorated for unused portion if needed to use the warranty). We were able to get free pillows and lower cost on the bed protective cover at time of purchase. One has to know the 'competition' and while I really liked the Tempur-Pedic - I didn't like the price. Supposedly the Serta comes with their patented cooling system which Tempur-Pedic just came out with it in their beds for an additional $1,000 bucks or so. Not worth paying more in my opinion. spend your time at the store checking out all manufacturers and make sure you decide on budget and stick with it.

The biggest thing you want to make sure is whether you want an adjustable bed any time in future. That decision will impact what type of bed you should get (spring versus foam versus others). You don't have to buy the adjustable frame at the same time as the bed. Therefore, you can buy the bed you want and use your existing frame. That's what I did - so in the future if I want the adjustable portion, I'll spend the extra couple of thousands for it. But it's just not needed right now.

The other thing to consider is that the Serta I-comfort does not require turning every 2 weeks for the first couple of months in order to break in the bed as other manufacturer's beds do. Therefore, if you're concerned about having to keep a warranty active by the requirement of maintaining the bed by having to rotate it, all beds that require rotating have handles. So at the show room, take note if the bed your interested in has handles. If there are not handles, like the Serta, it doesn't need as much rotating as the beds with handles. Just what I was told at the store in comparing the higher end brands.
soaring

Post by soaring »

Also be sure to google for comments. You sink into the mattress and the foam is very warm...for many people. Certainly not for me but maybe you. There are other threads here regarding mattresses and Tempur-pedic too.
Desiderata
Polar_Ice

Post by Polar_Ice »

I agree that the comfort level of a mattress is a personal preference. Just want people to have the information to make an better informed decision. A memory foam mattress might be good for your back pain but realize the trade off you are taking to your health in other ways.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency published two documents proposing National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAP) concerning hazardous emissions produced during the making of flexible polyurethane foam products.[9] The HAP emissions associated with polyurethane foam production include methylene chloride, toluene diisocyanate, methyl chloroform, methylene diphenyl diisocyanate, propylene oxide, diethanolamine, methyl ethyl ketone, methanol, and toluene however not all chemical emissions associated with the production of these material have been classified. Methylene chloride makes up over 98 percent of the total HAP emissions from this industry. Short-term exposure to high concentrations of methylene chloride also irritates the nose and throat. The effects of chronic (long-term) exposure to methylene chloride in humans involve the central nervous system, and include headaches, dizziness, nausea, and memory loss. Animal studies indicate that inhalation of methylene chloride affects the liver, kidney, and cardiovascular system. Developmental or reproductive effects of methylene chloride have not been reported in humans, but limited animal studies have reported lowered fetal body weights in rats exposed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_foam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylene_chloride

A good article with table:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/15/garde ... ted=1&_r=2&

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/2009/ ... APHIC.html
rixer

Post by rixer »

We were going to buy new mattresses but so many we looked at had bad reviews from others about sagging and other problems. Then we looked at Tempur-pedic. I have a hard time spending that kind of money on a mattress especially since there were plenty of people who had issues with them also.

So being the cheap people that we are, we purchased a good memory foam topper for about $150. and called it good. It really made the old mattress very comfortable again and I have money left over for important things. :beer
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

6miths wrote:We had a Tempur-Pedic and I loved it. Slept wonderfully and was never hot even though I have thermoregulatory issues on a regular mattress and often had night sweats. My wife wasn't in love with the Tempur-Pedic and swapped it out for a latex mattress one week when I was away. She likes the latex better but I don't like it as much as the Tempur-Pedic. I am back to the occasional night sweats although not as often as on a regular mattress. As far as off gassing and allergies - I have never heard of someone having a serious allergy to memory foam, I have definitely seen cases of people with life threatening allergies to natural latex. I agree that mattress preferences are a very personal choice. Find a place that has a money back guarantee. Good sleep!
If you're willing to do another mattress replacement the solution for you may be a kit latex mattress, in which thick slabs of latex of varying firmness are zipped into a thick wool mattress cover. In queen and king sizes the two sides can be individually customized. It is not distinguishable from a conventional mattress, but you can unzip it and swap pieces out if your needs change. This is what I sleep on; my husband's side is very firm, while my side has a complicated zoned layer that is extra firm under the hips with a soft spot under the shoulders. In your case you could substitute the topmost latex layer for a memory foam layer. http://www.flobeds.com is the company I used (and am very happy with) but there are others.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

6miths wrote:As far as off gassing and allergies - I have never heard of someone having a serious allergy to memory foam, I have definitely seen cases of people with life threatening allergies to natural latex.
The two most common forms of latex allergy are contact allergies. I have one of them, but my latex mattress has never caused a reaction (probably because I don't come into direct contact with the latex during use, but even when I have handled the mattress inner material I have not had an issue), nor increased the severity of my allergy. There is also a form of latex allergy that is triggered by inhalation, but I have been told that it is very rare for those people who have it to react to the natural latex mattresses. There's something about the processing and powder used in latex gloves that seems to set that kind of allergy off.

Life-threatening latex reactions are extremely rare. Those persons would be allergic to shoes, balloons, cars, lots of baby products, etc.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

bungalow10 wrote:
6miths wrote:As far as off gassing and allergies - I have never heard of someone having a serious allergy to memory foam, I have definitely seen cases of people with life threatening allergies to natural latex.
The two most common forms of latex allergy are contact allergies. I have one of them, but my latex mattress has never caused a reaction (probably because I don't come into direct contact with the latex during use, but even when I have handled the mattress inner material I have not had an issue), nor increased the severity of my allergy. There is also a form of latex allergy that is triggered by inhalation, but I have been told that it is very rare for those people who have it to react to the natural latex mattresses. There's something about the processing and powder used in latex gloves that seems to set that kind of allergy off.

Life-threatening latex reactions are extremely rare. Those persons would be allergic to shoes, balloons, cars, lots of baby products, etc.
There are scientific studies that show that the latex core of latex mattresses do contain allergens that can cause an immune reaction in sensitive individuals (example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10436396). However, this does not mean one will have a reaction to the mattress by sleeping on it, since one is not sleeping directly on the latex core. Most latex mattresses are wrapped in wool and/or cotton and you can add an allergen cover which will further minimize exposure. I'm not aware of studies that test the actual exposure to someone sleeping on the mattress, such as by taking air samples from a couple inches above the surface or doing tests to see what kind of dust can make it through the wool/cotton wraps when someone tosses and turns.

If one has anaphylactic reactions to latex, it's probably wise to avoid latex mattresses. But, as you said, such reactions are rare and one would know if one had such reactions before one gets to the point of mattress shopping. For the rest of the shopping public, it's probably a non-issue, but one should be aware of the scientific risks.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

My teen kids have Tempur-pedic mattresses and love them. My wife and I don't care for them and prefer our Duxiana (extortionate price but they last).

EDITED TO CLARIFY: When I said that " my wife and I don't care for them," I was referring to the mattresses, not the kids :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
motodoc42

Post by motodoc42 »

TRC wrote:Worth checking out the Serta I-Comfort as well. We bought one and absolutely love it. They claim to sleep "cooler" than the Tempur-Pedic. I also think they are significantly less expensive. We went with the medium stiffness and LOVE IT.
We've have one of the Serta I Comforts, Harmony as I recall, and are very pleased with it.
Motodoc42
zebrafish

Post by zebrafish »

I'm a huge fan of my sleep number bed

I'll never get another traditional mattress again
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

zebrafish wrote:I'm a huge fan of my sleep number bed

I'll never get another traditional mattress again
I am very tempted.

We have an inflatable mattress we use for guests. We used it for a week or so when we ourselves stayed with relatives. It is much more comfortable than out regular mattress (name brand, forget which -- Sealy, Serta, whatever). That name brand is losing it's shape and we are starting to think about a new one. Whatever we get I'm pretty sure it won't be an innerspring.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
soaring

Post by soaring »

Wife was always unhappy with softness of queen Englander Visco memory foam ($1000) and after a few years bought an XF (extra firm) Simmons Black Lexi set ($1600) about six months ago. Of course the model names change every year but one could find the new model name with some research. It is extremely firm and is a very very heavy mattress. She likes it. There is very little give in the mattress. As always one must find and lay on the various mattresses of interest to be sure it fits their needs.
Desiderata
ShortInSeattle

Post by ShortInSeattle »

We bought a Temperpedic "knock off" from an online retailer (Angel Beds). We've had it for five years and it still looks and feels new.

Very comfortable. I do prefer a cool bed, but that is solved by letting my feet stick out from under the covers. If the offgassing is a concern, stick it in your garage for a couple months before using it.

Note: you will need a "platform" style frame, or a special box spring to form a smooth surface for the bed to rest on.

SIS