2012 Turbotax now available at Vanguard Tax Center

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Bruce

2012 Turbotax now available at Vanguard Tax Center

Post by Bruce »

Just downloaded the 2012 Turbotax deluxe software using the link at the Vanguard Tax center page.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/taxcenter

Sure is a nice benefit of using Vanguard to get the free or discounted access to Turbotax.

regards,
Bruce
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bUU

Re: 2012 Turbotax now available at Vanguard Tax Center

Post by bUU »

The version we use is $5 less expensive, retail, through Amazon.com
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Price for Deluxe plus state

Amazon: $48.67
Vanguard not Flagship: $49.99

[With Amazon, you can get a disc and a pretty box as well]
Last edited by sscritic on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Bruce wrote:Just downloaded the 2012 Turbotax deluxe software using the link at the Vanguard Tax center page.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insights/taxcenter

Sure is a nice benefit of using Vanguard to get the free or discounted access to Turbotax.
Thank you Bruce for the alert. I checked last night and it was still "coming soon." It is nice to finally have TTDeluxe downloaded on my PC.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

Yeah, I bought Home & Business for the same price on Amazon a couple weeks ago.
mhc

Post by mhc »

sscritic wrote:Price for Deluxe plus state

Amazon: $48.67
Vanguard not Flagship: $49.99

[With Amazon, you can get a disc and a pretty box as well]
If you go through the Boglehead site to purchase at Amazon, the site gets a little money from the purchase.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Engineer

Turbo Tax 2012

Post by Engineer »

All,

Turbo Tax 2012 can now be downloaded from the Vanguard site. From the main Vanguard page, go to the tab Insights/Tax Center/click to Turbo Tax icon. This will take you to a page where you will click "Get Started Now and Save" link. Proceed from there.

Pleasant Tax Journeys!

Carl
Engineer

Re: Turbo Tax 2012

Post by Engineer »

Sorry--I misssed the earlier post.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Unless you get if for free it's cheaper on Amazon.
jtl46

Post by jtl46 »

If you have over $50k in accounts with VG do you automatically get Turbo Tax for free? I went through the link on VG and it appears that they will charge me at some point, probably after I spend a few hours entering the data and get ready to file.
John
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

jtl46 wrote:If you have over $50k in accounts with VG do you automatically get Turbo Tax for free? I went through the link on VG and it appears that they will charge me at some point, probably after I spend a few hours entering the data and get ready to file.
John
Change that to $1 million. Look up Flagship
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/whatwe ... s/flagship
jtl46

Post by jtl46 »

That won't work for me at VG anyway. Thanks for the clarification.
John
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Gordon
mrspremise

Post by mrspremise »

FYI, if you have a bank account with state farm bank you get free/discounted TurboTax (basic and deluxe are free (federal file), deluxe with state is 20, premier federal is 20, premiere federal and state is 30, etc). The minimum balance in a state farm account is $25.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

What's the minimum turbo tax you need to do schedule d, interest and dividends?
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Basic (all versions of Turbo Tax handle ALL commonly used forms).
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

1. Does the Flagship TurboTax deal work for a married couple filing seperately?

2. Does the Deluxe Federal and State TurboTax effectively cover all investment and deduction items (ie. is it missing anything)?
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:1. Does the Flagship TurboTax deal work for a married couple filing seperately?

2. Does the Deluxe Federal and State TurboTax effectively cover all investment and deduction items (ie. is it missing anything)?
1)They all do. It's two separate returns with one box checked.

2) Yes, so does basic.
plannerman

TurboTax Available

Post by plannerman »

Free TurboTax is now available through the Vanguard website.

plannerman
chaz

Re: TurboTax Available

Post by chaz »

Good.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

It's that time of year again. Holidays? Nope, it's the opening of tax season. Start gathering your documentation. :)

I just merged 3 threads together and moved everything to the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum. Yes, it's software and should be in the Personal Consumer Issues forum. No, taxes are involved so everyone will post in this forum. So, it's here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I have used TurboTax via Vanguard Flagship for 2 years and found it worked well. I used the online version. One requirement was that you have to log onto TT via Vanguard first. But by chance I accidentally learned that this wasn't actually necessary and I could go directly to TT. But my real question is what use is having it up now since we don't get the forms until usually the end of January for many things. I guess one could model but doesn't that run the risk of accidentally leaving a test piece of incorrect info in the return?
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Calm Man wrote: I guess one could model but doesn't that run the risk of accidentally leaving a test piece of incorrect info in the return?
Absolutely, especially if you don't bother to check your return before filing. This is of particular concern for those of us whose brain is significantly older than our body (and even if not).
foxfirev5

Post by foxfirev5 »

While I estimate thoughout the year I'll wait until the first week of Feb. to download and calculate. :happy
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

sscritic wrote:
Calm Man wrote: I guess one could model but doesn't that run the risk of accidentally leaving a test piece of incorrect info in the return?
Absolutely, especially if you don't bother to check your return before filing. This is of particular concern for those of us whose brain is significantly older than our body (and even if not).
The easy solution with the downloaded version is to save the practice/test file with a name something like, "Test File - 2012 proforma". There is apparently no limit to the number of practice returns you can save.

Dunno about the online version.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

has anyone used the online version for $20, i'm guessing, it's not worth the pain to save $30 ?
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

If it is time to update Quicken, you can get either $30 or $35 savings on Turbo Tax and Quicken combos from Amazon using one of the promo codes from fatwallet.com: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/expired-deals/1236833/
kwan2

Post by kwan2 »

i'm using quicken 2007 but afraid to update and have it broken and over accesorized

or bloatware ....

anyway it says "expired" on that one so ??
“The history of Paris teaches us that beauty is a by-product of danger, that liberty is at best a consequence of neglect, that wisdom is entwined with decay."
mhc

Post by mhc »

kwan2 wrote:has anyone used the online version for $20, i'm guessing, it's not worth the pain to save $30 ?
I have used the online version for several years now. It works just fine. I prefer doing it online. I don't have to worry about losing data or installing software.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I get the free TT from Vanguard, it doesn't say I can't do download and online both.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Grasshopper wrote:I get the free TT from Vanguard, it doesn't say I can't do download and online both.
If you can have both, please let us know.
gd

Post by gd »

I've just switched to Turbotax for irrelevant reasons, but back when I used the free version of TaxAct I tended to have trouble jumping around putting in stuff as it arrived, and had to check the end results carefully. It was an inferior interview interface (at a superior price), but... what's the advantage in getting tax prep software mid-December, long, long before most data is in? Just curious.
OAG

Post by OAG »

Tax Act is available now for $12.95. However NO ONE knows what will happen on AMT. New 2012 version of 6251 is available at the IRS Site BUT the form says enter the exclusion amount from the 6251 instruction publication - BUT the 2012 version of that is NOT AVAILABE. So it is all mute at this point since you will have to wait or guess the AMT 2012 exclusion amount.

PS: Neat way the IRS did the form so that it will survive for this years taxes.

PPS: FYI I did upgrade to Quicken 2013 Deluxe. Works just fine AND they (Intuit) sent me a CD-ROM of Turbo-Tax with both PC and APPLE files on it (FREE).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

gd wrote:I've just switched to Turbotax for irrelevant reasons, but back when I used the free version of TaxAct I tended to have trouble jumping around putting in stuff as it arrived, and had to check the end results carefully. It was an inferior interview interface (at a superior price), but... what's the advantage in getting tax prep software mid-December, long, long before most data is in? Just curious.
Doing a pro-forma return to (a) true up estimated taxes, especially state and (b) determine if a ROTH conversion makes sense ... among other reasons. At the end of December there is very little in the way of "unknowns" unless you have an employer who does strange things with imputed income. That does happen. It has happened to me many times but, happily, no more.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
david9117

Post by david9117 »

BTW which is cheaper downloadable/disc version.
Vanguard TT (voyager)
Amazon TT
Costco TT

I guess costco has not priced 2012 taxes but last year did it make sense to wait for costco offering?
bUU

Post by bUU »

As mentioned above, TT Premium downloadable version is $5 less expensive at Amazon.com than at Vanguard.
Ken Reckers

Post by Ken Reckers »

mrspremise wrote:FYI, if you have a bank account with state farm bank you get free/discounted TurboTax (basic and deluxe are free (federal file), deluxe with state is 20, premier federal is 20, premiere federal and state is 30, etc). The minimum balance in a state farm account is $25.
Each year this is a treasure hunt to navigate to the free download. I had success with these steps.

http://www.statefarm.com/tax
"Get Started"
"Buy Download"
Basic-Buy Download-Free Federal-"Buy Now"
Download for Windows-"Add to Cart"
"Checkout"

I have downloaded but not installed yet. Last year, Turbo Tax installation included an update to Net Framework FX. This in turn (apparently) caused my windows updates to start malfunctioning. I will wait until after final exam week is over before attempting installation.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Per the TurboTax website:

they ask if you have sold stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or options. If answer is yes, they direct you to Premier version of software ($9.99 for Flagship) instead of Deluxe versions (FREE for Flagship)

Anyone with experience here to help out? I assumed that Deluxe covered all investment-related tax issues.

Thank you.

Fat-Tail
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

Fat-Tailed Contagion wrote:Per the TurboTax website:

they ask if you have sold stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or options. If answer is yes, they direct you to Premier version of software ($9.99 for Flagship) instead of Deluxe versions (FREE for Flagship)

Anyone with experience here to help out? I assumed that Deluxe covered all investment-related tax issues.

Thank you.

Fat-Tail
As far as I can tell, the Deluxe should handle stocks and bond sales.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

One more time - ALL versions of TurboTax (including Basic) will produce and process all commonly used tax forms. The higher up you go, there are more bells and whistles but they all come up with the same result.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Thank you for the clarification. TT must be over-selling with their questions.
Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb »

OAG wrote:Tax Act is available now for $12.95. However NO ONE knows what will happen on AMT. New 2012 version of 6251 is available at the IRS Site BUT the form says enter the exclusion amount from the 6251 instruction publication - BUT the 2012 version of that is NOT AVAILABE. So it is all mute at this point since you will have to wait or guess the AMT 2012 exclusion amount.
I would be careful about rushing out to buy (or even download free) a tax software right now. I put high odds that some part of our tax rules for 2012 will be changed in the next month or so. Unless you have a low income or a very simple return, you may end up doing it twice. Or worse, you may use the current software (with the current AMT exclusion) for planning purposes and make moves that turn out to be sub optimal.

I will download the free Turbotax software from Vanguard in early February.

Best wishes.
Andy
bUU

Post by bUU »

pshonore wrote:One more time - ALL versions of TurboTax (including Basic) will produce and process all commonly used tax forms. The higher up you go, there are more bells and whistles but they all come up with the same result.
One of the features I used most heavily this year so far (I've already started our 2012 forms) is the built-in feature to help us determine cost basis for inherited stocks. The way they describe the feature is as follows: "Cost Basis Lookup tracks and accurately calculates your purchase price for stock sales in three easy steps". The table says very clearly that that is only available in Premiere.

Is that, in fact, also offered in Deluxe? :confused
bUU

Post by bUU »

Wagnerjb wrote:I would be careful about rushing out to buy (or even download free) a tax software right now. I put high odds that some part of our tax rules for 2012 will be changed in the next month or so. Unless you have a low income or a very simple return, you may end up doing it twice. Or worse, you may use the current software (with the current AMT exclusion) for planning purposes and make moves that turn out to be sub optimal.
This makes no sense to me.

First, the software we're talking about in this thread checks for updates continually and I've never had a single case where data had to be reentered or in any other way was I forced to do something "twice". At most, updates would require a quick re-review and perhaps a small modification of one piece of data or another.

Second, waiting until February means that we're making decisions now (including the decision not to do something) based on no data instead of based on preliminary calculations. I don't see how taking a shot in the dark can be better than at least trying to get some decent idea of what the actuality will be, once the laws and forms are finalized.

My own personal situation is a good example of that: I need to have a good bead on my AGI, right now, so I don't incur so much capital gains that we become ineligible to contribute to a Roth IRA.
richard

Post by richard »

Wagnerjb wrote:I would be careful about rushing out to buy (or even download free) a tax software right now. I put high odds that some part of our tax rules for 2012 will be changed in the next month or so. Unless you have a low income or a very simple return, you may end up doing it twice. Or worse, you may use the current software (with the current AMT exclusion) for planning purposes and make moves that turn out to be sub optimal.

I will download the free Turbotax software from Vanguard in early February.
Turbotax is frequently updated, so you lose nothing by getting it now. There shouldn't be any need to do anything twice. If rates or exclusions change, the software will update its calculations based on the new rules.

It may be early for data entry, but for most people 2012 numbers (income, deductions, etc.) should be locked in within about two weeks, even if 1099s, etc. aren't available.

For planning purposes, you have to assume something.

I see Bicker beat me to it.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

All the softwares do updates throughout the year. I typically do an early version of the return in Dec/Jan to finalize estimated taxes then wait and file in September when the dust settles.
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

When purchasing from Amazon are you able to download more than one time? We would like to get a version on each of our computers. I know it's legal according to the license but I don't know how it works without a disk.

Nonnie
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

nonnie wrote:When purchasing from Amazon are you able to download more than one time? We would like to get a version on each of our computers. I know it's legal according to the license but I don't know how it works without a disk.

Nonnie
You will probably first download an executable setup file to your PC. Just copy this file to a flash drive and then use this to move the file onto another computer. When you run the setup file on the new PC it should install the software.
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Sidney wrote:
nonnie wrote:When purchasing from Amazon are you able to download more than one time? We would like to get a version on each of our computers. I know it's legal according to the license but I don't know how it works without a disk.

Nonnie
You will probably first download an executable setup file to your PC. Just copy this file to a flash drive and then use this to move the file onto another computer. When you run the setup file on the new PC it should install the software.
Call me a Luddite-- we don't have a flash drive. I cannot remember how we did it last year-- I think we Dl'd it and didn't have a disk but-- I need that senior moment IRS tax discount--to save my life, I cannot remember. I do know we were each able (single filing separately) to use the "free" state filing.

Nonnie
bUU

Post by bUU »

If you need to reinstall software you downloaded from Amazon Digital Services, you can go to your software library (go to your account page, and then find the link for Games and Software Downloads under "Your Media Library").

"The number of computers eligible for installation will vary."