Wells Fargo Web Site Down Again

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Jay69

Wells Fargo Web Site Down Again

Post by Jay69 »

I tried to login into Wells Fargo yesterday and again this AM and no joy. I assume its another DDS attack (I think that what they called it).

Does not leave you feeling too warm and fuzzy. I'm so used to doing everything online I would never want to go back, I was a long time hold out to!
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Wells Fargo Web Site Down Again

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Ah...that explains it. I thought they had fired their entire technology team and moved back to the abacus. :oops:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Looks to be the same issues as last time.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... %3Darticle

Either that or they are getting ready for Friday!
hacker group that claimed responsibility for the wave of attacks earlier this fall announced last week that it would resume the activity, according to a report in InformationWeek, an industry trade magazine
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I would feel better if it were another denial of service attack. They attribute it to being busy. i gave up trying to check my account this morning after several tries. I do not know why this morning should have peaked beyond their capacity but apparently they are unable to project usage or provision for it. Disappointing.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I had no problems logging into WF yesterday nor today. No problems at all.

I'd rather bank at a place that has been tested by DoS attacks than one that has not been.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

johnep wrote:I would feel better if it were another denial of service attack. They attribute it to being busy.
As Bob Newhart might have said, "A denial-of-service attack creates an unusually high volume of traffic? Well, I suppose it would at that."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

livesoft wrote:I had no problems logging into WF yesterday nor today. No problems at all.

I'd rather bank at a place that has been tested by DoS attacks than one that has not been.
Thats so strange, wonder if its area dependant in some way, I just checked again and no joy. I have no need to login, my sister-in-law ask if I was having an issue, otherwise I would not have a clue.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I had no problem just now, but I will in the future. I like paper statements, and their big announcement is that I will no longer have online access if I don't accept electronic statements. I can still get on by clicking on "remind me later" on the accept the new terms and conditions page, but I know that "later" will eventually run out.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Well if I really needed to get on I can use the mobile site, that works.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

sscritic wrote:I like paper statements, and their big announcement is that I will no longer have online access if I don't accept electronic statements. I can still get on by clicking on "remind me later" on the accept the new terms and conditions page, but I know that "later" will eventually run out.
Can you print your own statments from the online pdf statements?

I think WF can do what PenFed does by charging customers for mailing out statements. This way, a customer can choose to either pay for paper statements or print the statements himself.
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Ah...that explains it. I thought they had fired their entire technology team and moved back to the abacus. :oops:
Actually I'm convinced they fired 'most' of their technology team years ago. :D
Steve | Semper Fi
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Just for fun I called to see what they would say.
Some people are experiencing delayed login or are unable to login, we have multiple teams working on the issue.
Last I knew we had many uneployed IT Professionals, maybe they can pick up some help :wink:
theduke

Post by theduke »

I logged in yesterday and this morning with no problem. Just now logged in again.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Now this is starting to become a little irritating at day three. Was able to get on last night, no issue, this AM no joy. I don’t have any personal banking needs but my work place does!

Had my SIL give it whirl being she has a completely different ISP and is about 30 miles from my work place and no go for her as well.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Still no evidence of problems for me.

Maybe your sister's computer or yours or someone's in the larger geographic area have been taken over by hackers?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

livesoft wrote:Still no evidence of problems for me.

Maybe your sister's computer or yours or someone's in the larger geographic area have been taken over by hackers?
The finance officer at work just called WF, “We are doing some site integration/upgrades we expect the site to be up soon, please check back soon” not word for word but close.

It’s so strange to me that its only certain parts of the area, one would think its all or nothing. Now I wonder what kind of upgrades we will see, should be interesting. I starting to feel like a WF test bed.

Edit: Its comming back, get the splash page anyway.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Well I guess this explains why some get on and others do not.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... wells.html

Just go to show what happens when you live on the poor side of the tracks :wink:
theduke

Post by theduke »

Well, when I was at my home in NC, I had no problem logging on. I am now visiting my son in KY, and the Wells Fargo website won't even come up.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

wellsfargo.com is dead in the SF Bay Area too. Was also yesterday.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

I'm in the Bay Area and I was on the site yesterday as well as this morning.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

ThatGuy wrote:I'm in the Bay Area and I was on the site yesterday as well as this morning.

Just got on the WF sign in page - timed out though.
G12

Post by G12 »

This WF web scenario is on day 3 for me and beginning to cause some serious chafing if you know what I mean.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

I wonder how long an DOS attack could keep a web page down? As in WF if wosre came to worse I could drive down the the local branch and do whatever needs to done.

If one was using a online only bank lets say for an EM fund would kind of stink if you needed the cash and it took you 2 weeks to get as you sit on hold and you can't login.

btw WF is back up for now.