Interesting buying experience at BestBuy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Anil

Interesting buying experience at BestBuy

Post by Anil »

I was in the market for some Audio Visual equipment (speakers, receiver etc) and looked around for a reliable decently priced seller. Surprisingly, I found Bestbuy to be the most reasonably priced seller. Anyway, so I went to a Bestbuy and spoke to the salesperson there and he offered me a discount (about 5%) on the speakers and about 10% on some of the other items. I wanted to check the equipment out and went a couple more times (takes a while to decide on speakers..). The third time time, I was offered about 9% off on the speakers. I thought that was a nice since the some of the items I was interested in (speakers) rarely come on sale. Anyway, I had to pick a game for my child (also on sale) so I stopped by a different Bestbuy on a different day. I stopped by the AV equipment area again and I was surprised to when they offered me about 15% off the speakers but not much on the other items ( < 5%). I didn't realize that the pricing could be different among different BestBuys. Anyway, since I had spent time with the original store, I went back and asked if they would match the other store's price (I "forgot" to mention to them that the discount on the rest of the items at the second store was less than what this store was offering :D ). And surprise, the original store matched the lower price on the speakers and the lower prices they had quoted on the rest of the items and some more, because amazon had lowered their prices on some items!

So, I guess it helps to negotiate even at a store like BestBuy and to shop around different stores of the same seller...
Needless to say, I am a happy camper!

My Thanksgiving shopping is now done! (well, almost :) )

Anil.
livesoft

Re: Interesting buying experience at BestBuy

Post by livesoft »

I learned many years ago that if you don't ask, you don't get. Of course, that does not apply to stores in NYC. In NYC, if you look at something, but don't buy it and start to walk out, the clerk will often start dropping the price without you asking.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Part of Best Buy's new price matching strategy. http://www.examiner.com/article/best-bu ... -retailers
It would appear it's not just lip service. As much as I like Amazon, many times a brick and mortar store is preferred.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Three times I have bought a laptop from Best Buy. This was over a period of about a year and a half. In each case they had a better selection than Amazon (not as many, but better products) and lower prices. For example I bought a Toshiba with better specs than the ones available at Amazon for about the same price as the lower-spec Amazon choices. I'm typing this on a display model which they gave me a 15% discount off of their already reasonable price. It does pay to ask.

I also bought a replacement hard drive for another laptop that would no longer boot. I suspected the hard drive but of course you can't be sure until you finally get things fixed. They told me that if the HD didn't fix my problem I had 30 days to bring it back for a full refund. (It fixed it.)

All-in-all I have found Best Buy great to deal with. I hope they can keep things going!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Norris

Post by Norris »

We have always liked Best Buy. Over the years we have purchased sound systems, computers and periperals, TVs and appliances. In addition to their price match guarantee, they offer eighteen months same as cash on many purchases (with a BB credit card) and 4% rewards that can be applied on future purchases. I'm hopeful they will survive. I've made many online purchases but a brick and mortar building with real people cannot be substituted.

Norris
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (purchases).

There are a lot of good techniques in here: Do You Haggle? If so: when, for what, how?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Everything is negotiable! Some places more than others. In China, it's like a national sport but in the US I get the feeling most people would rather just pay 10% more than bother with haggling. I personally find haggling to be fun.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I have a niece that works at Best Buy. She had to go in to work for the midnight opening. She told me she was lucky that she was working a register rather than the floor tonight. She said that on Black Friday people will literally grab the associates to get their attention.

Brian
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Hmm, I wonder if they'll price-match online prices this weekend. Amazon Wireless has the cell phone I've been eyeing for $50 less than Best Buy. I've had less than ideal phone upgrade experiences online, but the only issue at Best Buy has been exceedingly long lines. I also want to upgrade another phone on the same family plan and Amazon Wireless is not letting me do both simultaneously.