Anyone using Quicken 2013?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
amarone

Post by amarone »

I use Quicken a lot and am currently using Quicken Premier 2011. I generally upgrade every couple of years. The 2013 version is now out - is anyone using it and do you have any feedback? As I have never used 2012 either, any feedback on new features in that version would be useful (I hear that budgeting was greatly improved in 2012, for example).

I don't want this to be derailed into a thread about the merits/ethics of Intuit charging extra money for upgrades. My background is in the software industry and I know they have to maintain a revenue stream. For me, paying $80 or so every other year is well worth it for the value I get out of using Quicken. I am just interested in what new features are available and whether the new version works well.
JamesSFO

Re: Anyone using Quicken 2013?

Post by JamesSFO »

I just saw the upgrade notice for 2013 yesterday so I think it is pretty new. My suggestion would be to watch the Quicken forums for a few days and see what complaints are being raised. I personally find it better to wait 2-4 months on an upgrade like this since often they get an R2 or R3 out that fixes bugs early users find.
Furynation

Post by Furynation »

I am using 2012 right now. Haven't made the switch yet, but will sooner rather than later - espcially for the tax planning stuff. I see they have a mobile app now, which will let you sync your Quicken data to your mobile, scary.
SarahShaw

Post by SarahShaw »

For me the useful thing in Q2012 vs Q2011 is that Q2012 will automatically update currency exchange rates. As for Q2013, if I buy it it will probably because they now have an app for Android devices. But unfortunately that app doesn't appear to be compatible with my recently purchased Samsung Galaxy S3 android phone. I'm hoping that problem will be resolved when Samsung pushes out the next upgrade for the phone's O/S.
Topic Author
amarone

Post by amarone »

SarahShaw wrote:For me the useful thing in Q2012 vs Q2011 is that Q2012 will automatically update currency exchange rates.
Now that is good news. I am British and have UK bank accounts and investments, so it would be great to get the rates updated automatically.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

I was annoyed when I gave up MS Money to switch to Quicken 2012!

It's not directly related, but my accounts were beviled by "placeholder entries" when doing online updates, even though my holdings were accurate. I may have just learned a workaround by going to Online Center then for the provider, in settings on the top left, turning off "compare holdings" (or something like that). I only updated once so far without placeholders, but an tentatively excited.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Quicken free for over three years.

Used it for years. Took some getting used to at first, but now we are thankful for the extra time and not having to pay the nonstop upgrade fee every couple of years.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
magellan

Post by magellan »

I don't have specific info on this version, but if you're in the software industry, you probably know that it's safest to wait a few months before jumping on a new release.

In an earlier version of Quicken, they had database integrity issues and some early upgraders ended up with corrupt data files that they were unable to recover. I usually wait until after I do my taxes the year after the release comes out.

Jim
jwa

Post by jwa »

This is off-topic but somewhat related. Has anyone explored Mint as an alternative to Quicken? It's sort of curious but Quicken owns Mint.
tfb

Post by tfb »

amarone wrote:any feedback on new features in that version would be useful
There's a review with screenshots here:

http://www.consumerismcommentary.com/qu ... 13-review/
There are incremental changes to some features with a number of slight improvements — and these are improvements that the community has been requesting for several years — the biggest change is the addition of a mobile experience.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
SarahShaw

Post by SarahShaw »

amarone wrote:
SarahShaw wrote:For me the useful thing in Q2012 vs Q2011 is that Q2012 will automatically update currency exchange rates.
Now that is good news. I am British and have UK bank accounts and investments, so it would be great to get the rates updated automatically.
The nice thing about it is that it not only supports the major currencies but also minor currencies such as Singapore Dollar, Thai Baht, Korean Won, etc. Very handy for people who work internationally.
cbeck

Post by cbeck »

Unfortunately, the new mobile app does not support multi-currency features. Makes it useless for me.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
SeattleCPA

Post by SeattleCPA »

As the author of Quicken for Dummies, I feel a little funny responding to this post.

But it also seems weird if I don't respond and some of you figure out I'm author, etc., and then wonder why I don't respond.

So, given all that, here's what I think: It's good, a nice new look, etc., If it's been a while since you updated, yep, reasonable to look at upgrading.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

As far as I can tell from this thread, the answer is no.
SarahShaw

Post by SarahShaw »

cbeck wrote:Unfortunately, the new mobile app does not support multi-currency features. Makes it useless for me.
Disappointing. And my Samsung Galaxy S3 isn't yet on their list of supported devices either. So I guess that there's no need to rush out and upgrade.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

sscritic wrote:Anyone using Quicken 2013?

As far as I can tell from this thread, the answer is no.
OK, I'll chime in. I upgraded 2012 to 2013 yesterday. Nothing to complain about yet. Also nothing that jumped out at me as being any better.

But it's only been one day so I was reluctant to post.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
SeattleCPA

Post by SeattleCPA »

bertilak wrote:
sscritic wrote:But it's only been one day so I was reluctant to post.
FWIW, I've used the product through the summer...
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

SeattleCPA wrote:
bertilak wrote:
sscritic wrote:But it's only been one day so I was reluctant to post.
FWIW, I've used the product through the summer...
Quotes are hard to get right.
heikejohn

Post by heikejohn »

I'm still using 2006 :wink:

Have the basic 2012 version sitting on my desk, but never installed it. I'm afraid that such a large time-frame update totally confuses me!!
peterg82

Post by peterg82 »

I've been using 2010 which "expires" this year, so I'm planning on upgrading in the next few weeks. All the reviews I've seen are neutral to positive. The phone app placates some of those who wanted Mint integration.
Krrvette11

Post by Krrvette11 »

I downloaded yesterday 10-5 and Q2013 required a rev2. It was supposed to update after install. It failed I chatted with quicken agent and we had to download a mondo2013 file. It is documented as an issue. When using mobile app it randomly duplicates downloaded transactions. Quicken is collect data and info to determine why? Wait awhile unless you want to be a beta tester. I am using Mint for mobile as interim till Q fixes bugs.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Not an answer to your question, but I used Q'99 until sometime in 2011. Bought a copy of Q'2010 then and have been using it ever since.

I don't use the online updates for stock & mutual fund prices because I've trained myself to only assess every quarter. That was before I became a Boglehead, but the buy & hold strategy seems consistent with the Boglehead strategy.

I don't want the online updates for investment returns (dividends, etc.) because over the years I have learned that forcing myself to enter this info once per quarter is actually a learning experience.

I don't want the online updates for my checking account or credit cards because a) forcing myself to enter the expenditures has a budgeting effect, b) allows me to catch errors (there are a few every year)

Lastly, I am paranoid. If I download the data, I figure there is something going back up to Quicken or the financial institution. They don't need my personal data. That is why I would never use Mint. I'm paranoid enough that I only began efiling my taxes 2 years ago, and I'm beginning to question if that was a good idea; I figure I gave the tax software people access to all my personal info when I did that.

HOWEVER, if they introduced a units feature, where I could enter usage for my water, power, natural gas bill, and track usage year to year, etc. that would get me to buy an upgrade sooner than 2021, which is when I plan to buy my next Q upgrade.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

... not to mention that upgrade price is just $10 less than if you were a new user.
Or $10 MORE than buying new from Amazon!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ursineogre

Post by ursineogre »

I am still using Quicken 2007 and have been too cheap to buy a new version. Maybe now is a good time to upgrade!
prudent

Post by prudent »

FWIW, I have had good luck buying year-old Deluxe versions on ebay for around $20. I need to keep semi-current in order to keep the ability to download transactions, but I can't remember ever seeing a new feature that would compel me to get the current version and pay more $.

I also think that there will be less issues using a version that has had a number of patches issued after release. Features are nice, but I value stability more.
Eagle 3

Post by Eagle 3 »

I too have been a Quicken user for many, many years. And have used Pocket Quicken on my Windows phone for many years also. I travel to Thailand a lot and have used multiple currencies for 5 years. I decided to get rid of my old Windows phone and a new Android smart phone. Of course, Pocket Quicken doesn't work with that. So I upgraded to Quicken 2013 to sync with the Android phone. Problem solved, I thought. Wrong! I can't sync my Thai Baht accounts. That makes it worthless. I spent $50 to upgrade to Quicken 2013 for what? Nothing! Quicken supports multiple currencies, why can't mobile sync support it? How do I get my $50 back for a worthless upgrade?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
cliff

Post by cliff »

I am a Long time user. Am absolutely dissatisfied with Q. Since may accounts will not update as quicken will not support the bank's authentication method. Support is worse than useless. Have sent about 30 emails. Logs etc. they do nothing . Mobile is hence a waste as bank acct will not update!!!!!

QUICKEN PLEASE HELP!!!!!
mapleosb

Post by mapleosb »

JamesSFO wrote:I just saw the upgrade notice for 2013 yesterday so I think it is pretty new. My suggestion would be to watch the Quicken forums for a few days and see what complaints are being raised. I personally find it better to wait 2-4 months on an upgrade like this since often they get an R2 or R3 out that fixes bugs early users find.
More amazing than that! I upgraded to 2013 on 10/04. This morning, I installed R5! :shock: It seems a lot to do with all the revisions so far pertains mostly to the mobile app, but still, isn't this stuff Beta tested?

Have fun
“A mile of highway will take you a mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere!”
investorjunkie

Post by investorjunkie »

I just reviewed Quicken 2013 on my site:

[Commercial link removed by admin LadyGeek]

Overall I like it. I like the mobile integration and alerts. While it's concerning how many patches they have now (up to R5), look at the bright side they are actively getting input from users and fixing the problems. Though you would have thought that had a more extensive beta testing of the product.

For those you dislike Quicken, what real viable options are available for local desktop? Anything else out there doesn't have all of the features Quicken has.

Also for those who are interested, I have a contest and giving away copies of the product.
Last edited by investorjunkie on Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
investorjunkie

Post by investorjunkie »

jwa wrote:This is off-topic but somewhat related. Has anyone explored Mint as an alternative to Quicken? It's sort of curious but Quicken owns Mint.
Intuit owns both. Mint.com is really geared towards younger investors, but with fewer assets/investments. Quicken is really geared towards the full gambit, and has features that Mint.com doesn't even offer.

[Commercial solicitation removed by admin LadyGeek]
jonmmonson

Post by jonmmonson »

I upgraded to 2013. I like the iPad sync, but found it messed up a lot of my transfer transactions on my desktop from the past, causing reconciliation problems after the first synch, but now works fine.
prius04

Post by prius04 »

Just a (Bogle)heads up on this, Intuit, toward the end of every year almost without fail, runs a *****50% OFF***** special on all versions of Quicken. The offer typically runs for ~5 days; it begins the last few days of December and ends after the 1st of January. I typically start doing a Google search (this year, e.g., "Quicken 2013 50%") every week until mid-December and then do one every few days. Good luck!
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

prius04 wrote:Just a (Bogle)heads up on this, Intuit, toward the end of every year almost without fail, runs a *****50% OFF***** special on all versions of Quicken. The offer typically runs for ~5 days; it begins the last few days of December and ends after the 1st of January. I typically start doing a Google search (this year, e.g., "Quicken 2013 50%") every week until mid-December and then do one every few days. Good luck!
Just got my 50% off offer yesterday via email. Able to get at $35 and am very tempted. Curious of any opinions yea or nay on Q2013 now that its been out a few months.
bUU

Post by bUU »

For what it is worth, I've had Quicken 2013 since it was released, and they've already gone through 9 bug fix updates - by the way, the last one was to fix one of the bugs I reported. I don't know if it is just crappy software, or it just cannot handle my data (some of which goes back to Quicken 97), but the sucker crashes every third or fourth session. I've never had consistent crashes with any previous version of Quicken.
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

bicker wrote:For what it is worth, I've had Quicken 2013 since it was released, and they've already gone through 9 bug fix updates - by the way, the last one was to fix one of the bugs I reported. I don't know if it is just crappy software, or it just cannot handle my data (some of which goes back to Quicken 97), but the sucker crashes every third or fourth session. I've never had consistent crashes with any previous version of Quicken.
Not what I wanted to hear. :annoyed I've been using Q since the DOS days (Q3?), and typically upgrade every 3 years or so. Running Q2010, so I figured I'd take advantage of the 50% off email I rec'd.

But like you, I've never had any crash issues. Hearing what you are going thru is not comforting.

Anyone else have issues?
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
bUU

Post by bUU »

Let's put my comments on hold for a few days. I ran the data validation this morning for the first time since upgrading, and it found and fixed a whole mess of problems that it never found before. The software hasn't crashed at all today, and I did try to exercise it a bit.

That's doesn't take away the fact that they have patched Quicken 2013 nine times already to fix problems like the stupidity they inflicted on us with all those 1997 and 1998 transactions showing back up in the Downloaded Transactions tab.
geekpryde

Post by geekpryde »

Purchased and installed Quicken Home and Business 2013 TODAY, formerly using Quicken 2010. I made sure to make multiple backups of my data file, including offsite, prior to installing the new version.

I also changed the default install directory, but I dont think this matters one bit. Quicken 2010 was still uninstalled, and folder for it on my PC is now gone.

Installed fine, updated immediately and automatically to R10. Converted my file with no errors. Used it a few hours today, and I dont see any issues yet. Everything appears to be functional, and all my history appears to be unaltered. Great deal too from Amazon for only $39.99, considering MSRP is $109.95! (bought it with Turbo Tax).

If something stange happens in future use, I will post back. So far, I am happy I pulled the trigger.
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

I also pulled the trigger on Q '13 last night. Immediately noticed the talk of 9 Release Versions was outdated since it updated me to R10, but other than that have had no issues. No crashing and all my data is as I expected. Budget tool does seem to be much improved though I'm still not sure to what degree I'll use it (developed a spreadsheet I'm quite happy with). Undecided about Q Mobile. Something about "the cloud" gives me the Heebie Jeebies
bUU

Post by bUU »

Definitely a smart move to wait until the end of December to upgrade. Never again will I upgrade on the first day the new version is a available!
hillman

Post by hillman »

bicker wrote:Never again will I upgrade on the first day the new version is a available!
You can stick that advice right up there with 'stay the course' as ways to make your life a lot easier.

Though the wait can sometimes be so hard.
bUU

Post by bUU »

Sometimes impossible. I very much needed to install TurboTax the first day it was available because I needed to see how close I was to the Roth contribution limits before incurring more capital gains.

Quicken - I had no such rationale for upgrading so soon.
bUU

Post by bUU »

bicker wrote:Let's put my comments on hold for a few days. I ran the data validation this morning for the first time since upgrading, and it found and fixed a whole mess of problems that it never found before. The software hasn't crashed at all today, and I did try to exercise it a bit.

That's doesn't take away the fact that they have patched Quicken 2013 nine times already to fix problems like the stupidity they inflicted on us with all those 1997 and 1998 transactions showing back up in the Downloaded Transactions tab.
Okay I'm reinstating the spirit of my earlier warnings about Quicken 2013. No; the software hasn't started crashing again. That seems to have gone away. However, after leaving R10 for a few days, without seeing a whole mess of new complaints, I finally decided that it's probably time to apply the upgrade. Quicken vanished. I tried restarting it, only to be told it is still running. I left it for a few minutes. No change.

I followed the directions to reboot and during the shutdown it became clear this latest error. The upgrade pops up a UAC prompt, but it was not visible until the shutdown complained about it being up. Clearly, there is some more testing that needs to be done to make sure folks aren't left hanging like this.

After the reboot, the upgrade appears to be working properly.

Messy Messy Messy.
Dr_McGarvey

Post by Dr_McGarvey »

I've been using Q 2013 for at least a month now, and I don't see that many material improvements over Q 2012. If you're short of cash, I'd say skip the upgrade.

One salient point of annoyance not mentioned here yet: Importing of TurboTax Files from previous years failed with Q 2012, and it still has not been fixed in Q 2013, despite longstanding complaints by several users. Given both are Intuit products, this seems especially silly and frustrating.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Dr_McGarvey wrote:I've been using Q 2013 for at least a month now, and I don't see that many material improvements over Q 2012. If you're short of cash, I'd say skip the upgrade.

One salient point of annoyance not mentioned here yet: Importing of TurboTax Files from previous years failed with Q 2012, and it still has not been fixed in Q 2013, despite longstanding complaints by several users. Given both are Intuit products, this seems especially silly and frustrating.
I thought the TT import was operator error, glad to here it is Intuit.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Dr_McGarvey wrote:I've been using Q 2013 for at least a month now, and I don't see that many material improvements over Q 2012. If you're short of cash, I'd say skip the upgrade.
I'm not short of cash, but if there are not many material improvements (and mobile access is not something I'm looking for), it sounds like a frustrating installation without much benefit. I guess I'll pass.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
geekpryde

Post by geekpryde »

R10 for me on a 64 bit Windows 7 Pro machine is working fine and normal, no issues after a few days. But I waited until R10 to even try. I am not sure that R10 will magically fix files that were corrupted by R1..R9. Assuming you have the untouched data file, I would recommend a complete uninstall, a registry cleaning and temp file deletion (e.g. ccleaner) followed by a restart. Then a clean install of Quicken, and update to R10, then try converting the original file again.

Good luck to those still having issues. I do think R10 is a safe place to start if you are interesting in upgrading, but have been holding off.
Drew31

Post by Drew31 »

I'm beginning to see a few minor issues here and there that are irritating me. Only took about 4 days. I agree that I don't see much improvement over Q12 and believe I got sucked into the marketing machine that was their 50% off offer.

I've often wished Quicken would add HSA functionality but given the mess each year's release seems to be, I'm not sure I really want them tackling that. It'd probably take who knows how many years of releases to get it right. I'm not sure an answer to each of our workarounds would really be worth the hassle.
bUU

Post by bUU »

No chance that I'm going to manually reenter three months worth of transactions.