What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
chaz

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Post by chaz »

"The Drop" by Michael Connelly.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

The Singularity is Near, Kurzweil. I'm about 30 pages in, I can tell it's going to be a mind-blower. Just with him laying out his theory, I can see where quite a few sci-fi novels I've read have drawn from him.
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished West of Here by Jonathan Evison.

Now reading Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro.
norookie

Post by norookie »

"Greenspan, and the missing 7 TRILLION, Bubble-Man. by Peter Hatcher.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

Got 4 that I'm in the process of reading (depending where I am), all very good.

The Power of Passive Investing: More Wealth with Less Work [Hardcover]
Richard A. Ferri (Author)

Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness [Paperback]
Richard H. Thaler (Author), Cass R. Sunstein (Author)

The Quest for Alpha: The Holy Grail of Investing (Bloomberg) [Hardcover]
Larry E. Swedroe (Author)

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gods & Kings Official Strategy Guide
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Broken Harbor by Tana French. I really enjoyed her previous books but would not recommend this one, unfortunately.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Almost finished with Jeff Shaara's Gods and Generals. Did not like it as well as his World War II books, but perhaps that's because I've never really been that much into the Civil War. You'd think I'd enjoy it because while I sort of know the names of the battles, I don't really know any details--not even who won.

Am just about to start Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth. It's a book I really ought to like. But it came out when I was a little too old for it. But now that I am older, perhaps I am the right age for it.

About 1/4 of the way through The Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

nisiprius wrote:Almost finished with Jeff Shaara's Gods and Generals. Did not like it as well as his World War II books, but perhaps that's because I've never really been that much into the Civil War. You'd think I'd enjoy it because while I sort of know the names of the battles, I don't really know any details--not even who won.

Am just about to start Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth. It's a book I really ought to like. But it came out when I was a little too old for it. But now that I am older, perhaps I am the right age for it.

About 1/4 of the way through The Clash of the Cultures: Investment vs. Speculation.

Regarding Civil War - North won.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaz

Post by chaz »

bengal22 wrote:
nisiprius wrote:Almost finished with Jeff Shaara's Gods and Generals. Did not like it as well as his World War II books, but perhaps that's because I've never really been that much into the Civil War. You'd think I'd enjoy it because while I sort of know the names of the battles, I don't really know any details--not even who won.

Don't give a spoiler.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Just One Look" by Harlan Coben.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I'm currently reading Enough by John Bogle and I have to say I am loving it. Thanks to all who recommended it.

It really gives me the confidence that I am on the right path and the more I read from the great Jack Bogle the more I know my fanitical love of simplicity will be rewarded and all the new fangled products that even Vanguard keep coming out with are just a different level of noise and I will stick to my boring balanced fund and stay the course.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Batavus

Post by Batavus »

Elizabeth George's - "A Great Deliverance" based on a recomendation in Part I of this thread.

Also David Maraniss' - "Rome 1960", its going slow.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

bengal22 wrote:
When I was in elementary school, maybe second grade, My Weekly Reader--or maybe it was one of those news filmstrips the teacher sometimes showed--carried the news that the last surviving Union soldier had just died, while three Confederate soldiers still lived. Our little faces went wild-eyed with amazement, as we whispered to each other, "but that means... the South won!"
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Batavus wrote:Elizabeth George's - "A Great Deliverance" based on a recomendation in Part I of this thread.

Also David Maraniss' - "Rome 1960", its going slow.
All of Elizabeth George's novels have been excellent.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

And ponderous.
Gordon
chaz

Post by chaz »

gkaplan wrote:
And ponderous.
That sounds like a TV western series with Lorne Green.
hudson

Post by hudson »

nisiprius wrote:
bengal22 wrote:
When I was in elementary school, maybe second grade, My Weekly Reader--or maybe it was one of those news filmstrips the teacher sometimes showed--carried the news that the last surviving Union soldier had just died, while three Confederate soldiers still lived. Our little faces went wild-eyed with amazement, as we whispered to each other, "but that means... the South won!"
4th grade maybe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Woolson
SGM

Post by SGM »

Super Crunchers by Ayres
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep »

Currently reading "Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes" by Belsky & Gilovich, and "Men are like Waffles Women are like Spaghetti" by Farrel. Both books are a challenge to my day-to-day walk in this world.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Just finished Zero Day by David Baldacci, have enjoyed all his books but this one is so similar to Lee Child's character Jack Reacher. I googled the comparison and apparently many others feel the same way, almost like plagiarism. Good read though.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Boys of Summer, by Roger Kahn. I had forgotten how much I liked the Brooklyn Dodgers, and disliked the Yankees.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Just started Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West, by William Cronon. This is a history of the interrelation between Chicago and the rural areas within its orbit. The focus is on the economic interdependence between city and "country", with particular emphasis on the flow of commodities. The author acknowledges that this may sound like a very dry subject, but he has taken pains to make it interesting and accessible to the general reader. I'm only about 50 pages into it, but I'm enjoying it so far. Then again, I also like reading The Economist.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just finished "Silent Partner" by Jonathan Kellerman.

Interesting comments Bungo regarding "Nature's Metropolis: Chicago and the Great West"...I have not read this book, but a somewhat similar book is The North American Railroad, It's Origin, Evolution, and Geography by James E. Vance, Jr. I am fond of railroads and Vance's book outlined why and how railroads opened markets back in the 1800's including Chicago with the flow of raw materials into Chicago and finished materials back out of Chicago.

Regarding Lee Child...I have really come to enjoy the Reacher series.

The Drop by Michael Connolly...just finished that a couple of weeks ago. Harry Bosch is probably my favorite novel charactor.

Ed
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Death in Ecstasy by Ngaio Marsh
Gordon
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

I just discovered John Jake's historical fiction series about his fictional Kent family. As a big fan of historical fiction, I'm surprised I'm just learning about the author and his books (I know they've been around a while). This series spans from before the American Revolution to about 1890. I'm at 1845 right now, and have really enjoyed them.
zzcooper123

Post by zzcooper123 »

"Resilience, Why Things Bounce Back" by Andrew Zolli
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Currently reading The Everglades: River of Grass by Marjory Stoneman Douglas.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
6miths

Post by 6miths »

Just read Red Alert: How China's Growing Prosperity Threatens the American Way of Life by Stephen Leeb and The End of Growth by Richard Heinburg. Feeling very upbeat!!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

I've started The Einstein of Money. A fascinating new biography about Benjamin Graham.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

"Network Nation: Inventing American Telecommunications" by Richard R. John (Belknap Press, Cambridge, MA, 2010). Exhaustive history of the implementation of the telegraph and the telephone, detailing the drama, both patent-wise and political, surrounding the growth of the US Postal system, Western Union and the Bell system up to about 1914. Chunky book at 520 pages, but am hoping there is a sequel that addresses the 20th century.
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished Hateship, Friendship, Courtship, Loveship, Marriage by Alice Munro and Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron.

Now reading Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith. Smith's previous books about John Marshall, Ulysses Grant, and FDR are amongst my favorite biographies. So far, it looks like his latest will be on that list as well.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I read Smith's biography of John Marshall. As you said, it's quite good.
Gordon
Vize

Post by Vize »

Conscience of a Liberal by Paul Krugman (can't stop thinking about it)

This Time is Different (provides good market history, as Bill Bernstein recommends)

The Third Chimpanzee (many chapters can be recommended specifically and often be read on their own; see the one on European languages)

Imagine: How Creativity Works
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Promise Me" by Harlan Coben.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Vintage Murder by Ngaio Marsh
Gordon
market timer

Post by market timer »

A Wild Sheep Chase, Murakami

I recently downloaded this and Dance, Dance, Dance to my Kindle. Decided to read the remaining Murakami novels.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
camontgo

Post by camontgo »

Just finished reading Again to Carthage by John L. Parker and listening to the audiobook Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand.

Now reading Dark Pools by Scott Patterson.
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George E. P Box
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

hudson wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
bengal22 wrote:
4th grade maybe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Woolson
Based on link - North Won.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

I'm about a third into American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson, by Joseph J Ellis; a garage sale find, published 1996.

This book will make you re-think everything you think you know for sure about Jefferson. It's heavy on direct quotes and humorous inconsistencies in Jefferson's writings. Most important, it's fun to read.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Skinny Dip, by Carl Hiaasen.
Fun reading.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I just read A Word Child by Iris Murdoch.

One of the worst books I have ever read. I want 20 hours of my life back.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
norookie

Post by norookie »

X2 "Random walk" :wink: Do you remember it all? :wink:
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I just started Post Office by Charles Bukowski. It is very entertaining so far.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

For those who have not read it yet - "Younger Next Year" will kick you out from your TV to do exercises and add years to your life.
Good book.
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished Eisenhower in War and Peace by Jean Edward Smith. A very thorough and engaging biography, though I would have appreciated a final chapter that discussed Eisenhower's legacy and place in history rather than concluding literally at his death.

Now reading The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson.
Dave_M

Post by Dave_M »

Today's " Kindle deal of the day " on Amazon is Winston Churchhill's six book set on WWII. I read "The Gathering Storm" years ago and loved it, so I'm looking forward to reading the others.
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

Under the Black Flag, The Romance and Reality of Life Among the Pirates by David Cordingly.
A garage sale book that's too long, but OK as a lite source of anecdotes about Atlantic pirates in the early 18th century.
MattE

Post by MattE »

We Can Build You by Philip K. Dick.