What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Post by ruralavalon »

LazyNihilist wrote:Just finished reading "A Confederacy of Dunces - J.K.Toole". I liked it. Hope Fortuna spins the wheel up for me. :happy
I read this years ago, enjoyed it, and wished he had written more novels for me to enjoy.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Two books picked up this summer at garage sales for 25 cents;

The Columbia (University) History of the World, edited by John A. Garraty and Peter Gay. This is a 1200 pager written by different Columbia University professors. It was published in 1972 and is a "heavy" book. My guess is will be a book chewed a chapter at a time, perhaps over the course of a year or so. Has anyone read it?

Moment of Truth by Lisa Scottoline is a bit lighter read. Mystery/legal book.

Ed
chaz

Post by chaz »

"The Watchman" by Robert Crais, more Cole and Pike.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Chaz:
I enjoy Crais' books. Pike is one cruel dude.

Ed
chaz

Post by chaz »

MP173 wrote:Chaz:

Ed
It's my favorite genre.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

The Faithful Spy - Alex Berenson.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

MP173 wrote:Chaz:

Ed
I'm about to finish "LA Requiem" - I believe I got the recommendation from this thread. Pretty good, although the characters seem more sketched than three-dimensional. The killer in particular would have benefited from being fleshed out over maybe another 50 pages. Cole almost seems like a placeholder; he is almost devoid of personality. The flashbacks to earlier scenes in Pike's life were pretty good, and I found him a lot more interesting than Cole, but he's still something of a mystery figure by the end of the book. This book is somewhere in the middle of a series, however, so perhaps most of the back story comes from the earlier books. If I were to read another Crais book, which one should I choose? Is it best to start at the beginning (Monkey's Raincoat)?
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

The Atrocity Archives - Charles Stross. Geeky stuff/bureaucracy/spy thrills/sundry eldritch abominations all mixed up in a bucket (eggs on top, don't skimp on the pate).

Brian
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

The Clash of Cultures: investment vs speculation, Jack Bogle :happy
GammaPoint

Post by GammaPoint »

The Physics of Solar Cells, by Jenny Nelson. The book isn't great and has a number of typos, but I am learning some stuff I should already know but never actually learned.
Juniormint

Post by Juniormint »

Mindset: The New Psychology of Success - Carol Dweck

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - J.K. Rowling
DoubleDraw

Post by DoubleDraw »

Crooked Cucumber - The Life and Zen Teachings of Shunryu Suzuki
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished Inferno by Max Hastings.

Now reading West of Here by Jonathan Evison.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

I just finished "Albion's Seed: Four British Folkways in America", by Robert Hackett Fischer.

Have just started "Anatomy of a Murder", by Robert Traver. We are on vacation in Michigan's Upper Penninsula, and I wanted to read something local.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Ulysses by James Joyce

Read it in 1979 for a class and now I am trying it solo. Reading Lincoln by Gore Vidal as well to clear out my mind.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Gods and Generals by Jeff Shaara.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Bungo:

Looking thru my book log, i have read the following Robert Crais/Cole/Pike novels:
The First Rule - this deals more with Pike and establishes his background. Pretty good book.
LA Requim - you have read this
The Forgotten Man - Not bad...it deals with Elvis Cole's investigation of a man who claims to have been his father. Background info on Cole.
The Last Detective - Not bad...Cole and Pike investigate the kidnapping of Cole's girlfriend's son.

These Crais books are good, not great and fill a need for me to read entertaining books with personalities. No where near Michael Connelly or James Lee Burke in writing ability, but a definate addition to my "list of approved authors".

Have you read any of the Lawrence Block books? I really like his Scudder charactor...this is set in New York City and deal with quite a few "charactors".
The Lee Child books on "Reacher" charactor are similar to Crais for me. Not mind bending but very entertaining with tough, tough guys.

Ed
chaz

Post by chaz »

"The Serpent on the Crown" by Elizabeth Peters.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

MP173 wrote:Bungo:

Looking thru my book log, i have read the following Robert Crais/Cole/Pike novels:
The First Rule - this deals more with Pike and establishes his background. Pretty good book.
LA Requim - you have read this
The Forgotten Man - Not bad...it deals with Elvis Cole's investigation of a man who claims to have been his father. Background info on Cole.
The Last Detective - Not bad...Cole and Pike investigate the kidnapping of Cole's girlfriend's son.

These Crais books are good, not great and fill a need for me to read entertaining books with personalities. No where near Michael Connelly or James Lee Burke in writing ability, but a definate addition to my "list of approved authors".

Have you read any of the Lawrence Block books? I really like his Scudder charactor...this is set in New York City and deal with quite a few "charactors".
The Lee Child books on "Reacher" charactor are similar to Crais for me. Not mind bending but very entertaining with tough, tough guys.

Ed
Thanks for the Crais recommendations. I enjoyed LA Requiem despite my observation that the characters didn''t seem very fully developed. I'll try one of the other titles you listed. Haven't read any Lawrence Block books, but he's on my to-check-out list.

Having finished LA Requiem, I'm now about 50 pages into Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Very nice so far. I'll write more about it once I finish it.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Bungo:

Let me know what you think of David Mitchell. I havent heard of him.

Currently reading Moment of Truth by Lisa Scottoline. My first book by her...picked it up at a garage sale for a quarter. First 100 pages I was ready to quit, after 200 pages it is picking up a little steam. Interesting plot, husband confesses to murdering wealthy wife to protect 16 year old daughter who is a teen model (who appears to have killed the mom).

Ed
SGM

Post by SGM »

"Tough Without a Gun," about Bogart.

"How to Live with Uncertainty, Risk Intelligence," by Dylan Evans.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
Buster65

Post by Buster65 »

[political content removed by admin alex]
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

"Misery Bay", and
"Back to Misery Bay",
both by Lauri Andersen.
Tales of Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
book lover

Post by book lover »

The Mobile Wave by Michael Saylor
Steal Like An Artist by Austin Kleon
The Practicing Mind by Thomas Sterner
This Will Make You Smarter Edited by John Brockman
I Know Who You Are And I Saw What You Did by Lori Andrews
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

Jerilynn wrote:[Relious and Political title removed by Mod; neither topic is allowed on this forum]
I understand. Even though I was just posting the title of the book I'm reading, I understand.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
jaia

Post by jaia »

Robert Caro's latest book on LBJ. Fascinating.
jaia

Post by jaia »

danieljquirk wrote:I read Shantaram a few years ago and it is sitting on my night stand again. The first page is stunning and it is hard to put down.

?
Shantaram is one of my all-time favorite books. The images of India have always stayed with me..
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

The Book of Psalms.
jaia

Post by jaia »

thirdman wrote:"The Lost Continent." Bill Bryson. He drives his mother's Chevette around the United States in 1987 in search of the perfect small town. He ends up where he started, but in the interval reviews truck stops, state troopers, and Motel 6.
Bryson's books are wonderful. One that he wrote about England ("Notes from a Small Island", I think) has a description of Cricket that is one of the funniest paragraphs I've ever read. A "Walk in the Woods" is classic too.
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Wild Justice" by Phillip Margolin.
jaia

Post by jaia »

A few recent good ones:

Unbroken, by Laura Hillenbrand - a well written true story of a WWII prison camp survivor, and olympian.

The Secret Life of Henrietta Laacks, by Rebecca Skloot - a true story where the author traces a unique strain of genetic research cells back to the person they came from.

At Home, by Bill Bryson - Bryson looks at his home in England, with his own unique historical vision and humor.

John Adams, by David McCullough - maybe the best biography I've ever read, by an author known for great biographies

and

Salt, a World History, by Mark Kurlansky - fascinating history of an indispensable mineral.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

jaia:

I read Caro's book also and agree. Very interesting book. He was a very complex man.

Ed
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

jaia wrote:A few recent good ones: ...

John Adams, by David McCullough - maybe the best biography I've ever read, by an author known for great biographies
I loved this book for its great detail, which is one way McCullough puts you right in the scene. I read it a couple years ago and still think often of the opening lines, with Adams and a companion on a long journey by horseback on a winter night, forced to stay at a walk on snow and ice.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

MP173 wrote:jaia:

I read Caro's book also and agree. Very interesting book. He was a very complex man.

Ed
Some years ago I read Caro's "The Power Broker," which is a biography of Robert Moses, probably the single individual who has had the most impact on the physical development of New York City and its environs. It was a fascinating story on many levels, and one of the best biographies I've ever read. Very highly recommended.

I'll get to the LBJ series one of these days, but have to admit I'm daunted by the sheer number of pages to be conquered in that mountain. Also, I was waiting for the 4th and what I thought was to be the final volume to be published. Now it seems there's going to be a 5th, assuming Caro lives long enough to finish it!
traineeinvestor

Post by traineeinvestor »

The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins

A fascinating look at evolution - tracing the origins of present day humans all the way back to the first life forms on the planet.
a2z

Post by a2z »

I'm currently reading The Warmth of Other Suns which chronicles America's great black migration from 1915-1970. As usual the clarity of history helps me understand now.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

'Zahra's Paradise' - very enlightening book if you're interested in Iran.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

The Clash of Cultures, by John C. Bogle. But to tell the truth I find it a little frustrating, because I can agree with what he says, but feel powerless to do much about it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
69CamaroSS

Post by 69CamaroSS »

The Prize by Daniel Yergin
"the epic quest fo oil, money and power"

Fabulous read on the history of oil and the roll it has played and is playing in the modern age.

Pulitzer Prize winner
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

I want to read The Power Broker by Robert Caro, but couldn't find an electronic version for kindle and the book is soooo huge. :x
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
jaia

Post by jaia »

Bungo wrote:
MP173 wrote: I'll get to the LBJ series one of these days, but have to admit I'm daunted by the sheer number of pages to be conquered in that mountain. Also, I was waiting for the 4th and what I thought was to be the final volume to be published. Now it seems there's going to be a 5th, assuming Caro lives long enough to finish it!
I finally finished it. I read it on Kindle, and was a little discouraged when it showed only 60% completed. But it ended there and the rest consists of footnotes.

This one ended before most o the the Vietnam War escalation. That should be a good discussion in the next book, if the author and I live to see it.

You can see why it took so long to write it (in addition to the fact that he does it on a typewriter). The research is meticulous.

Now I've started another interesting book by Fr. Greg Doyle - Tattoos on the Heart - about a gang ministry in Los Angeles. Very thought provoking so far.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

LazyNihilist wrote:I want to read The Power Broker by Robert Caro, but couldn't find an electronic version for kindle and the book is soooo huge. :x
Yes, it's a brick! I read it as a used paperback, and then gave it to a friend after I finished it. He reported that it broke in half while he was reading it, which actually made it easier to handle.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

MP173 wrote: Let me know what you think of David Mitchell. I havent heard of him.
d
A little more than halfway through now - I'm really digging Cloud Atlas. It's an unconventional novel, comprised of 6 loosely connected short stories, five of which are divided in half, so that you read it in this order:

first half of part 1
first half of part 2
first half of part 5
all of part 6
second half of part 5
second half of part 1

Each story is (very well) written its own distinct style, e.g. part 1 is written as a diary of a 19th century colonist in the Pacific islands, part 5 is set in a futuristic dystopia "Brave New World" environment, and so on. Each one is interesting in its own right, and it's intriguing to see how they are linked together. Highly recommended if this sort of thing is your cup of tea.
coldav

Post by coldav »

Doing a reread of "Adventures Of Augie March" by Saul Bellow. For sure, a heavy hitter author, winning several awards including the Noble Prize for literature. It's the only book I have read of his. Sometimes I am lost with his references to philosphy and mythology, but otherwise enjoy this coming of age book during the Great Depression in Chicago.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I could really discuss Caro's book, but the sensitive nature of the moderators would no doubt find the thread banned. This is an excellent book on politics and how it works. Really should be read by this forum to realize how Washington really works.

Currently reading Silent Partner by Jonathan Kellerman...picked it up at the library today and saved $10.

Ed
chaz

Post by chaz »

MP173 wrote:I could really discuss Caro's book, but the sensitive nature of the moderators would no doubt find the thread banned. This is an excellent book on politics and how it works. Really should be read by this forum to realize how Washington really works.

Currently reading Silent Partner by Jonathan Kellerman...picked it up at the library today and saved $10.

Ed
Jonathan Kellerman is one of my favorite authors.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

ruralavalon wrote:
LazyNihilist wrote:Just finished reading "A Confederacy of Dunces - J.K.Toole". I liked it. Hope Fortuna spins the wheel up for me. :happy
I read this years ago, enjoyed it, and wished he had written more novels for me to enjoy.
The more I think about it, the more I feel like Ignatius Reilly. :P
What a fantastic book. I too want more of novels like this.

I am reading a few of P.G. Wodehouse novels, but these are mostly farce with just a touch of satire. A Confederacy of Dunces combines farce and satire beautifully.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I am currently reading William Bernstein's "The Investor's Manifesto". It's been a great read so far. Looking to read a John Bogle book next but not sure which one to start with.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

pennstater2005 wrote:I am currently reading William Bernstein's "The Investor's Manifesto". It's been a great read so far. Looking to read a John Bogle book next but not sure which one to start with.
Pennstater:

You can read excerpts from seven of Mr. Bogle's books in my Investment Gems. Read the excerpts and select the book that most appeals to you. You will be learning from the excerpts at the same time.

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Taylor_L ... tment_Gems

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Taylor

Thanks for the tip. Off to check that out now :happy
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson