Changes to My Yahoo Portfolio

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Michael B

Changes to My Yahoo Portfolio

Post by Michael B »

Yahoo finance recently made some changes to the way it displays data. Previously one could create multiple portfolios combining stocks, funds & indexes and then track prices and news. Now only one portfolio can be open at a time, and they replaced user designated sequence with alphabetical. Not the end of the world to be sure, but perhaps a motivation to look for a new source of financial data.

Can anyone recommend a web page that allows one to create and track multiple portfolios or groups of tickers and indicators and display them all simultaneously?
pshonore

Re: Changes to My Yahoo Portfolio

Post by pshonore »

Call me rigid and old fashioned but I hate it when things that I use and I'm comfortable with get changed. Ever since Day 1, my Yahoo portfolios took up the left 10% of my Yahoo page and you could see all portfolios by paging down. Why did they have to change that???? Only one portfolio at a time and each now displays as an entire screen as opposed to current price and % chg. And in alphabetical order as well. (Is there any way to get your "main" portfolio to show up like it did?) I'm so old fashioned that I still use an Email reader (Thunderbird) as I just don't like web-based email.
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

You can still arrange the order of your investments in Yahoo by clicking on EDIT & then under MANAGE PORTFOLIO click on SORT PAGE.
texas_archer

Post by texas_archer »

Have you tried Morningstar's Portfolio Manager?
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

You can still arrange the order of your investments in Yahoo by clicking on EDIT & then under MANAGE PORTFOLIO click on SORT PAGE.

I've tried that by making sure the "Sort by Symbol" check box was unchecked. Didn't work
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

https://www.google.com/finance? If you sign into your Google account, you can save your portfolios. Otherwise, ticker symbols show up in the order you look at them, i.e. if you look at BND first then VTI afterwards:

VTI
BND
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
Topic Author
Michael B

Post by Michael B »

Jake46: Yahoo changed that, confirmed so and also said they have no plan to go back.

Texas Archer: Yes, I’m familiar with M*. I was looking for a one glance news and quotes function for multiple portfolios, which they do not offer.

Thatguy: Google finance doesn’t seem to have any advantage over the new Yahoo view. Portfolios can only be seen one at a time, and the news feed is not impressive.

Pshonore: looks like we’ll have to keep looking. Online postings show many unhappy users. Do you have any idea why they did this? Just curious.

Any other ideas are welcome
rsc601

Post by rsc601 »

I was wondering what happened. I too liked looking at multiple portfolios at the same time. It's also doubly confusing because on the "My Yahoo!" main page, the funds are listed alphabetically. But when you click on the portfolio name, it has the funds/ETF's/individual stocks listed like I had them before, sorted manually.

Apparently, Yahoo is not even following the Advanced Settings under the "Edit" page. I don't have "Sort positions alphabetically by symbol" checked but it's still doing it on the main page.... Sigh.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

pshonore wrote:

I've tried that by making sure the "Sort by Symbol" check box was unchecked. Didn't work
I also noticed this new problem
magicmom

Post by magicmom »

That didn't work for me either and it is very annoying to me. My items all seem to be reversed and I can't just glance at the page to see what I want. I almost had an attack because the Dow was at the bottom and I was looking at the numbers for another fund!
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

As of this morning, it seems they have switched back to the old format allowing full portfolio views, etc...

This is good news; hope it stays this way
Topic Author
Michael B

Post by Michael B »

Yes, back to the previous version. I agree, hopefully they keep this functionality in the next change.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I was pleasantly surprised this morning too. I guess they realized their changes were not well received.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

One problem fixed, but I've still got another, the Auto Refresh functionality seems to have stopped working sometime in the past month or so. I've checked using both Firefox and Chrome and neither will Auto Refresh per my settings. Anyone else seeing the problem or have a fix/workaround?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
woof755

Post by woof755 »

I noticed this, too. Used to have SP 500 and Dow in one portfolio, then my own in a separate one.

Now, I leave mine open and added VTI and some other sample broad ETFs (TIP, VBR, etc) so I know what the market's doing on a daily basis. I am too comfortable with the rest of my yahoo! home page to want to switch at this point.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
mhc

Post by mhc »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:One problem fixed, but I've still got another, the Auto Refresh functionality seems to have stopped working sometime in the past month or so. I've checked using both Firefox and Chrome and neither will Auto Refresh per my settings. Anyone else seeing the problem or have a fix/workaround?
I have the same problem with the auto-refresh. Also, the refresh link in the Stock Portfolios on the MyYahoo page does not work either.

Yahoo appears to know about it:
http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=con ... ions=false
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Using "Get Quote", why not build your own spreadsheet to go out and get the current quotes, and populate with whatever information you need? This is what I finally did. I to hated the Yahoo change myself.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Electron

Post by Electron »

I view multiple portfolios by bringing up additional browser tabs.

Has anyone noticed a change when downloading Yahoo Finance historical data to a spreadsheet file?

I have been getting two entries for the latest date and one will be incorrect. As of a few minutes ago, I did not see that problem. However, the problem may occur only after the market closes.

Another issue has been downloading the data for a portfolio containing option quotes. No data for options is provided in the spreadsheet file.
Enjoying the Outdoors
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

Seems like this issue may be rearing its ugly head again...anyone else having issues seeing their portfolio through My Yahoo?
dbc47

Post by dbc47 »

Mine still looks fine. Hope they don't fool with it again.