Whats your Asset Allocation for 60-70 year old's?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
marc515

Whats your Asset Allocation for 60-70 year old's?

Post by marc515 »

Just looking to see what most of you guy who are 60-70 years young have for your asset allocation. I'm currently very conservative with only about 10% stocks, but am looking to buy on the dips to increase that somewhat. I've used some of the AA tools, and they indicate I should be 40% stocks, so I just wanted to get an idea on what the average might be.

Thank you
Call_Me_Op

Re: Whats your Asset Allocation for 60-70 year old's?

Post by Call_Me_Op »

I'm not there yet but have thought some about it. I think 20% is the minimum you want in stocks unless you do not need to keep-up with inflation for the overall portfolio. For the other 80%, "the pickins are slim" at the moment. Short-term, high-quality bonds are an option.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Holding at 50/50 at age 65, but I have a DBP indexed to inflation to cover the essential stuff, and yet to take SS.
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

Everyone is different, so AA is personal and should be guided by ability and need for risk.

60yo [edit] DW 57yo, 45/55 Equity/Fixed unconventional split (non-Total Mkt). We don't need the Equity portion.
Last edited by YDNAL on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Landy | Be yourself, everyone else is already taken -- Oscar Wilde
peppers

Post by peppers »

Ages: 60 and 58 50/50 stock-bond allocation Continuing to work and will have 2 pensions with cost of living adjustments.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

63yo and holding at 50/50 stocks/bonds, with no plans to change.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I am age 67, retired and have 25% equity and 75% fixed income. However, I have pension and SS which more than cover our living expenses. I reviewed my investment plan with Vanguard analyst last year. I expected him to chastize me for low equity. He surprised my by stating my AA was fine. Why take the equity risk if I did not need to.

Everyone's AA will vary depending upon their specific financial situation and their tolerance for risk. One size does not fit all.
jlj

Post by jlj »

45% US Stock funds, 14% International Stock funds, 36% Bond funds, mostly Vanguard
Age 66, just retired. Advice welcomed.
Last edited by jlj on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Both age 67 (next month), 50/50 asset allocation.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

jlj wrote:45% US Stock funds, 14% International Stock funds, 36% Bond funds, mostly Vanguard
Age 66, just retired. Advice welcomed.
You are missing 5% :D
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

I'm in the upper 1/4th of your range. 55/45 stocks/bonds. I would be more conservative if I didn't have a fairly good DB pension that I will eventually take.
JW
Retired at Last
Rich in Michigan

Post by Rich in Michigan »

marc515 wrote:Just looking to see what most of you guy who are 60-70 years young have for your asset allocation. I'm currently very conservative with only about 10% stocks, but am looking to buy on the dips to increase that somewhat. I've used some of the AA tools, and they indicate I should be 40% stocks, so I just wanted to get an idea on what the average might be.

Thank you
Age 61. Wife 59

I'm retired, she will retire in 9 months

50/50 allocation and I expect that to remain the same after my wife retires

I have two pensions and two 401k's that I recently rolled to my IRA. Am not touching the 401k money at this time. Will eventually take SS but have not decided on a start up age for it yet
looking

Post by looking »

Holding at 50/50 at age 65, but I have a DBP indexed to inflation to cover the essential stuff, and yet to take SS.

what is DBP index????
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

jvclark02 wrote:Holding at 50/50 at age 65, but I have a DBP indexed to inflation to cover the essential stuff, and yet to take SS.
looking wrote:Holding at 50/50 at age 65, but I have a DBP indexed to inflation to cover the essential stuff, and yet to take SS.

what is DBP index????
D (Defined) B (Benefit) P (Pension) indexed (indexed to Inflation)
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

YDNAL wrote:
jvclark02 wrote:Holding at 50/50 at age 65, but I have a DBP indexed to inflation to cover the essential stuff, and yet to take SS.
looking wrote:Holding at 50/50 at age 65, but I have a DBP indexed to inflation to cover the essential stuff, and yet to take SS.

what is DBP index????
D (Defined) B (Benefit) P (Pension) indexed (indexed to Inflation)
:sharebeer
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

Post by 3247 »

I'm 70, retired for 10 years, living mostly off dividends from 70% equities. Also have 30% in a 10/20% mix of Vanguard equity funds and bond funds. I put one years cash needs into laddered CD's, so I don't count my cash as a percentage of holdings.

I am more worried about the impending 'Taxamageddon' with 3.8% surtax on investment income than on AA at the moment. Do I go to tax frees, do I go to more cash, or do I stand pat and just hope for the best? (Not my style)..
investor

Post by investor »

Age 71... with 50/50 s/b... been retired 16 years..... Have SS and Pension income.

investor
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

no pension, we are 73 & soon to be 72.
I still take on limited consulting projects which allows me to periodically stop drawing down assets
43% equities, 57% fixed
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

65 - 55/45 s/b and planning on sticking with it for the long term.

If it floats up or down 5% I won't care.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

marc515 wrote:I'm currently very conservative with only about 10% stocks, but am looking to buy on the dips to increase that somewhat.
I would say you are very/too low in stocks, but if you have lots of money and pensions it may not matter!

We're retired and 64 and are at 45%/55%, and plan to devolve to age-in-bonds by age 80.
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
investor.saver1

Post by investor.saver1 »

Retired 63 year old....30% equities and 70% fixed income. Conservative...yes and very happy about keeping the volatility down. Live on SS and pension. Also have reduced durations for my bond holdings. My portfolio creates very little excitement in my life and that's perfectly OK with me.
Investor.Saver1 | | Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Retired 64 y/o with DBP having 3% annual COLA and taking SS. ... they cover 80+% living expenses. 44% Equity, 52% Fixed, 4% cash/CDs.
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I am 60 and have been retired for since I was 48. I started at 60/40 stock/bonds and moved gradually down to 50/50. In 2008, I kept rebalancing from bonds into stocks as the market tanked. As the bottom approached, I didn't have the willpower to continue doing it and let my allocation go to see where it ended up. I am now 40/60 (actually 40 stocks (50/50 US/Int), 50 bonds, 10 cash and equivalents), which seems to keep my mind at peace, though I'm not sure what I'd do in the next 2008-like downdraft.

I have no pension and my current spending is below 4%.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
GregLee

Post by GregLee »

My wife and I are both 70, retired, with SS and pensions sufficient for living expenses. We are 95/4/1 (stocks/bonds/cash), since we have no reason to worry about market volatility.
Greg, retired 8/10.
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

75 years old and I have been 50/50 for a long time - it seems like it is the rebalancing sweet spot. If the market is kind however, I will let the equity percentage drift upward. The odds are the bulk of my holdings will go to my sons - presently in their mid-forties.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

As you see by the other answers, it is personal.
I am 78. At 60 I was about 60% stocks. At 65, when I retired, I was about 57%. I live off of these investments plus Social Security....no pensions. By the time I was 70, I changed to 100 minus my age in stocks, so it was about 30%. Presently I have 22% stocks. I don't plan to go below 20% in the future, regardless of how old I get.
Jim
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
looking

Post by looking »

Sheepdog wrote:As you see by the other answers, it is personal.
I am 78. At 60 I was about 60% stocks. At 65, when I retired, I was about 57%. I live off of these investments plus Social Security....no pensions. By the time I was 70, I changed to 100 minus my age in stocks, so it was about 30%. Presently I have 22% stocks. I don't plan to go below 20% in the future, regardless of how old I get.
Jim
I just wonder if you buy target retirement income fund that is exactly 30/70 AA after you retired 65,-70
Mr Grumpy

Post by Mr Grumpy »

I don't know about "average", but I am 65 years old, just retired, and my AA is 50/50; almost all in index funds.
Breakdown: Equities: Total Stock = 25%, Developed Mrkts index=13%, Emerg Markets = 6%, REIT Index= 6%
Bonds: bond index= 40%, Cash =8%, Insurance Cash value (I know...) 2%

Just me - everyone's different
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Age 70. 50% Stock/50% Debt Instruments.
All the Best, | Joe
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

marc515 wrote:Just looking to see what most of you guy who are 60-70 years young have for your asset allocation. I'm currently very conservative with only about 10% stocks, but am looking to buy on the dips to increase that somewhat. I've used some of the AA tools, and they indicate I should be 40% stocks, so I just wanted to get an idea on what the average might be.

Thank you
Hi Marc:

Our asset-allocation depends upon our goals, risk-tolerance, time-frame and personal financial situation. It could be a mistake to mimic an "average." This Vanguard tool can be helpful:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... reset=true

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

looking wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:As you see by the other answers, it is personal.
I am 78. At 60 I was about 60% stocks. At 65, when I retired, I was about 57%. I live off of these investments plus Social Security....no pensions. By the time I was 70, I changed to 100 minus my age in stocks, so it was about 30%. Presently, my allocation is 22% stocks. I don't plan to go below 20% in the future, regardless of how old I get.
Jim
I just wonder if you buy target retirement income fund that is exactly 30/70 AA after you retired 65,-70
looking,
The Target funds didn't begin until after my 70th birthday (late 2003). I did buy Target 2005 and Target Income (different IRA accounts) in 2004.
I presently am investing (22% stocks) in Target Income, Wellesley, Short Term Investment Grade bond fund and I Bonds. The dividends from the Target Income and Wellesley Income in our traditional IRA accounts go to those IRA's respective short term bond fund and from those bond funds I take our annual distributions for expenses.
I also have Target Income and Wellesley in our 2 Roth accounts.
Jim
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
2beachcombers

Post by 2beachcombers »

70/30 eqities/fixed. Plan is to maintain 70% equities.
AA is Bernstein's IDA--50-50 taxable/deferred; deferred 50/50 IRA/RIRA. RIRA plan for emergency and for heirs.
age 67, retired 12 yrs.
reduced equity % over the past 5yrs from 90%

Considering DBP and SS portfolio is 45/55 equities/fixed.

Bernstein's new kindle book on Age provides good incite to this question

jerry
Munir

Post by Munir »

Taylor Larimore wrote:

Thank you
Hi Marc:

Our asset-allocation depends upon our goals, risk-tolerance, time-frame and personal financial situation. It could be a mistake to mimic an "average." This Vanguard tool can be helpful:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor,

I found the link you quote from Vanguard more geared to employed people than to retirees. I generally follow a formula close to "age in bonds" but the link suggested 50/50 allocation (I'm nearly 75).

I'm also confused about the situation where a person has a pension or SPIA (and social security) which cover living expenses. Is that a reason to have a lower equity poisiton on the premise of why take a risk, or a reason to do the opposite because even if the equities tank one is still covered by the steady income source? I've seen it argued both ways.
Taylor Larimore

Asset Allocation for 60-70 year old's?

Hi Taylor,

I found the link you quote from Vanguard more geared to employed people than to retirees. I generally follow a formula close to "age in bonds" but the link suggested 50/50 allocation (I'm nearly 75).

I'm also confused about the situation where a person has a pension or SPIA (and social security) which cover living expenses. Is that a reason to have a lower equity poisiton on the premise of why take a risk, or a reason to do the opposite because even if the equities tank one is still covered by the steady income source? I've seen it argued both ways.
Assuming your pension and social security "cover living expenses," your investment portfolio should be designed to give you more spendable income for personal luxuries or a larger inheritance for others. In other words, you can take more risk hoping for higher return.

I suspect this is the primary reason why the Vanguard tool resulted in the 50/50 portfolio instead of Mr. Bogle's "age in bonds."

Best wishes.
Taylor
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

Munir wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:

Thank you
Hi Marc:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hi Taylor,

Taylor's Vanguard link recommended 50/50 for my situation, and that is what we have at age 65, with 90% of it sitting in Vanguard index funds (TSM/TBM/REIT/etc). Were it not for a pension that is indexed to inflation, plus being able to wait until 70 for SS, I think I would be much more into bonds to reduce the effects of another 1990, 2001, or 2008 style recession.

Unfortunately at this point, I just can't seem to find any bonds/treasuries that are outpacing inflation. In fact, I wish I could buy more zero rate Ibonds, but my 'uncle' says no.
YDNAL

Post by YDNAL »

Munir wrote:Hi Taylor,

If you don't use Assets to pay bills, then it is up to you to determine what are Assets invested-for.
1. Age in Bonds is nothing but a guideline that makes sense only as a starting point but nothing further.
2. If you actually invest for others, with different need and timeframe than yours, then *I* would invest as if it is THEIR money.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Chart of most of the above data.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Munir

Re: Asset Allocation for 60-70 year old's?

Post by Munir »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Hi Taylor,

Assuming your pension and social security "cover living expenses," your investment portfolio should be designed to give you more spendable income for personal luxuries or a larger inheritance for others. In other words, you can take more risk hoping for higher return.

I suspect this is the primary reason why the Vanguard tool resulted in the 50/50 portfolio instead of Mr. Bogle's "age in bonds."

Best wishes.
Taylor
My statement may have been confusing because I covered two unrelated issues under one heading. For calarification, I do not have a pension and only two small SPIAs which together do NOT cover my living expenses. Therefore, I am drawing on my principal from my IRA. So my inquiry still stands that IF a person has enough income from outside his IRA to cover expenses, is the conventional BH wisdom that he should hold a higher or lower equity poisiton than "age in bonds" ?

As to the link suggested by Taylor, many of their questions ask about one's salary, years till retirement, how long one plans to use the money withdrawn etc. It does not apply well to a retiree. I wish there is a similar questionnaire that specifically targets retirees which would then give a clearer answer to what the asset allocation should be for that individual.

BTW, I am nearly 75 years old, and 32% in equities but will reduce it closer to 30%.
Last edited by Munir on Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor Larimore

Using the Vanguard asset-allocation tool.

Munir:

As to the link suggested by Taylor, many of their questions ask about one's salary, years till retirement, how long one plans to use the money withdrawn etc It does not apply well to a retiree.

It works for me and I am retired. Read the first question carefully:
The length of time I plan to invest before I begin withdrawals?
A retiree should move the slider to "Less than 1 year."

Best wishes.
Taylor
Munir

Re: Using the Vanguard asset-allocation tool.

Post by Munir »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Munir:

As to the link suggested by Taylor, many of their questions ask about one's salary, years till retirement, how long one plans to use the money withdrawn etc It does not apply well to a retiree.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor,

You are correct. The one missing question is one's age.
I had filled the questionnaire the way you suggested and it had come back with a 50:50 recommendation which is, in my opinion, way out of line for a 75 year old retiree in a distribution phase. I wonder if they would change their recommendation if they had one or more questions seeking employment status and age.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Ages 65, 67% fixed income which includes a slice of VG high yield fund. So age in bonds applies to us. Have considered bumping equities a little because we have a small pension and SS.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
BTDT

Re: Using the Vanguard asset-allocation tool.

Post by BTDT »

Munir wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:Munir:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor,

You are correct. The one missing question is one's age.
I had filled the questionnaire the way you suggested and it had come back with a 50:50 recommendation which is, in my opinion, way out of line for a 75 year old retiree in a distribution phase. I wonder if they would change their recommendation if they had one or more questions seeking employment status and age.
Given the slider type questions on risk, selling in a crisis, and risk comfort levels, I'm not sure age plays a major factor in this calculator. Given today's low interest rates on bonds, and my particular income circumstances, I'm pretty sure I would still be at 50% in equities if I were 75 today.
YDNAL

Re: Asset Allocation for 60-70 year old's?

Post by YDNAL »

Munir wrote:My statement may have been confusing because I covered two unrelated issues under one heading. For calarification, I do not have a pension and only two small SPIAs which together do NOT cover my living expenses. Therefore, I am drawing on my principal from my IRA. So my inquiry still stands that IF a person has enough income from outside his IRA to cover expenses, is the conventional BH wisdom that he should hold a higher or lower equity poisiton than "age in bonds" ?....

BTW, I am nearly 75 years old, and 32% in equities but will reduce it closer to 30%.
The AA (Equity/Fixed split) depends on ability and need for risk. In your case, since there's NEED from your Assets to cover living expenses, then it depends on withdrawal rate.
  • 1. If withdrawal rate is reasonable (say 2-4%), then the Age in Bonds guideline may be right for you. That said, 25% Equities is likely the minimum that I would consider.
    2. If withdrawal rate is not reasonable (say 5-6%), and you may run the risk of running out of Assets, then the Age in Bonds guideline doesn't work and you may need a different risk/(expected) return profile.
You see, the potential variations of this equation (Equity/Fixed) can be many based on personal circumstances.
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo »

Age 73, retired. 25% each stocks, gold, long term treasury bonds and cash.

My wife recently retired and is still in process of converting her 403b plan to a rollover IRA for more flexibility. She is currently about half and half GNMA and intermediate treasury bond funds. When the rollover gets set up she will probably go with the above allocation.

John
Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. | | Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

marc515 wrote:very conservative with only about 10% stocks, but am looking to buy on the dips to increase that somewhat.

Reading between the lines, you appear to be timing the market. Do you know when the dips will occur? Market timing is generally a losers game as I see it. If you prefer an AA with higher than 10% equities, why not just change to that AA ASAP?

We are retired with 3 DP plans, SS, and our AA is about 60/40. Probably will not begin withdrawing invested funds until RMD time, which is still a few years away.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
fidelio

Post by fidelio »

age sixty, retired in april. i like 50/50, but not there yet. best to all, artie
SGM

Post by SGM »

3247 wrote:I'm 70, retired for 10 years, living mostly off dividends from 70% equities. Also have 30% in a 10/20% mix of Vanguard equity funds and bond funds. I put one years cash needs into laddered CD's, so I don't count my cash as a percentage of holdings.

I am more worried about the impending 'Taxamageddon' with 3.8% surtax on investment income than on AA at the moment. Do I go to tax frees, do I go to more cash, or do I stand pat and just hope for the best? (Not my style)..
I am close to retirement and have a similar mix and goals. I share the same worries about the new tax law. I have a few tax free bond funds and am converting more tIRAs into Roths.
I am in the process of adding a Roth component to my solo 401k and will contribute the balance of my allowed contributions this year into the Roth component.
"Let us endeavor, so to live, that when we die, even the undertaker will be sorry." Mark Twain
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I'm not there yet, but I plan to hold 50/50 once I hit 65 and leaving it there until I leave this part of my journey. I'm 48 and my wife is 53 and I am 60/40 and will remain there until 65.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

We are 65 and 71 years old.
Roughly 30% equities and 70% bonds with a healthy corporate bond exposure.
All intermediate maturity bonds with the exception of long term bonds in VG TBM.
Returns for the last 4.5 years.
2008 lost 11.9%
2009 Gained 13.96
2010 Gained 10.6%
2011 Gained 2.5
YTD Gained 5.7%

Rebalance into VG Wellesley and into international equities both emerging and developed economies.

Last edited by sschullo on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.