What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Default User BR

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part V

Post by Default User BR »

MP173 wrote:Valuethinker...regarding President Johnson's motivation . . .
I strongly recommend people refrain from discussing politics, past or present, as it endangers the thread.

Brian
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Default User BR wrote:
MP173 wrote:Valuethinker...regarding President Johnson's motivation . . .
I strongly recommend people refrain from discussing politics, past or present, as it endangers the thread.

Brian
Is that really a political observation?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Brian:

Notice my post and my reference was to the book Passage to Power and I referenced what the author stated. This is not a political discussion, this is a forum on books. "What Book are you currently reading?"

Further, this is a book of enormous historical stature.

I did not infringe on copyrite by directly quoting the book, simply gave the author's view. Authors such as Larry Swedrow, John Bogle, and many others.

I answered Valuethinkers question based on commentary from the author, nothing more, nothing less, other than to state that this was a very powerful book.

Ed
HenryDonaldson

Post by HenryDonaldson »

Here's an oldie, The Odyssey, by Homer. This is a Greek classic written about 3,000 years ago. It's amazing a story this old and rather lengthy survived. I'm hearing all these names that adorn cities and streets everywhere, and now I know where they came from. Good story.
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

MP173 wrote:Notice my post and my reference was to the book Passage to Power and I referenced what the author stated. This is not a political discussion, this is a forum on books.
Obviously, I'm not a mod, but I know that Alex thinks this thread is of marginal topicality and he specifically does not want it to be a discussion of books. Everything should be in the context of book recommendations.

My goal is to caution people about behavior that might get it locked.

Brian
Rubiosa

Post by Rubiosa »

" . . . Alex . . . does not want [this thread] to be a discussion of books."

I hope you're misinterupting Alex's wishes. Can you clarify? A LIST ONLY of books being read, then ??
Thanks.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I will cease and desist from discussing "The Passage of Power."

"A Dance at the Slaughterhouse" by Lawrence Block.

/Ed
coldav

Post by coldav »

"Swamplandia" by Karen Russell. It is one of the 3 books recommended to the Pulitzer Prize committee for best fiction of 2011 which no award was given. I am about 100 pages into it and have yet to get a handle on the author's style of writing. It will come to me but the question is: when?
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Mystery" by Jonathan Kellerman.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

La Nuit des Longs Couteaux by Max Gallo
Gordon
SonOfSchwab

Post by SonOfSchwab »

Blink! The Power of Thinking Without Thinking- by Malcolm Gladwell
BenBritt

Post by BenBritt »

Off Season by Ken McAlpine and In That Sweet Country by Harry Middleton.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Survival of the Fittest by Jonathan Kellerman. His books are always like a good pot roast....slowly developed but enjoyable and flavorful.

Has anyone read Linda Fairstein? I heard her interviewd.

On the list for "The Amateur" by Ed Klein...hope mentioning that doesnt get the thread locked.

Ed
chaz

Post by chaz »

MP173 wrote:Survival of the Fittest by Jonathan Kellerman. His books are always like a good pot roast....slowly developed but enjoyable and flavorful.

Has anyone read Linda Fairstein? I heard her interviewd.

On the list for "The Amateur" by Ed Klein...hope mentioning that doesnt get the thread locked.

Ed
I'm enjoying Jonathan Kellerman's "Mystery".
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
cyclinggirl

Post by cyclinggirl »

Just finished,
Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy's "The President's Club: Inside the Worlds Most Exclusive Fraternity".
Enjoyed it a lot and will now read "The Passage of Power".
Balance

Post by Balance »

Clash of Kings (Game of Thrones/Songs of Ice and Fire Series)
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

John Bogle - Character Counts.

This is a good book!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Just discovered the author John Hart, The Last Child, one of the best writers I have ever read.
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Back Spin" by Harlan Coben.
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished A History of Twentieth-Century Russia by Robert Service.

Now reading Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Book of Lies" by Brad Meltzer.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

A new book young Bogleheads might be interested in is Zac Bissonnette's "How to Be Richer, Smarter, and Better-Looking Than Your Parents." The teenage grandson of a friend of mine liked it (Bissonnette is 23, so that's one reason he read it) so I skimmed over his copy and thought it looked pretty solid, though I was surprised when he wrote: "I am part of a tiny, fringe cult of people who think we should only buy cars with cash." Did we Bogleheads who pay cash for our cars know we were part of a tiny, fringe cult?
Last edited by Fallible on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
chaz

Post by chaz »

Fallible wrote:A new book young Bogleheads might be interested in is Zac Bissonnette's "How to Be Richer, Smarter, and Better-Looking Than Your Parents." The teenage grandson of a friend of mine liked it (Bissonnette is 23, so that's one reason he read it) so I skimmed over his copy and thought it looked pretty solid, though I was surprised when he wrote: "I am part of a tiny, fringe cult of people who think we should only buy cars with cash." Did we Bogleheads who pay cash for our cars know were were part of a tiny, fringe cult?
Yes, we Bogleheads knew.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

chaz wrote:
Fallible wrote:A new book young Bogleheads might be interested in is Zac Bissonnette's "How to Be Richer, Smarter, and Better-Looking Than Your Parents." The teenage grandson of a friend of mine liked it (Bissonnette is 23, so that's one reason he read it) so I skimmed over his copy and thought it looked pretty solid, though I was surprised when he wrote: "I am part of a tiny, fringe cult of people who think we should only buy cars with cash." Did we Bogleheads who pay cash for our cars know we were part of a tiny, fringe cult?
Yes, we Bogleheads knew.
:D
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Personal Memoirs of Thirty Years With The Indian Tribes On The American Frontiers, by Henry R. Schoolcraft.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Millionaires" by Brad Meltzer.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Acts of War by Holmes
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

First Strike: the Exclusive Story of How Israel Foiled Iraq's Attempt to Get the Bomb by Shlomo Nakdimon
Gordon
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Read Eric Kandel's new book, "Age of Insight." Kandel, a neuroscientist and Nobel winner, turns art historian to encourage a dialogue between art and science in order to “grasp the nature of the mind” and possibly even shed light on the nature of creativity. Wonderful book, crystal clear writing by this super scientist/intellectual.
Regal 56

Post by Regal 56 »

Moby Dick.

Seriously, I've never read it before. I'm a little past the halfway mark. Have learned more about the 19th century whaling industry than I ever wanted to know. Based on what I've read so far, if I was a whale, I'd hire a lawyer and initiate a class action suit against Herman Melville. The things he says about whales are terrible, not the least of which that he keeps calling them "fish."

On the bright side, it's a page turner, if you're willing to wade through all the interruptions to the plot. It's fun to watch Melville striving to write the great American novel. Sure it's over the top, but it's worth it when the author succeeds.

Please don't tell me how it ends. I want to be surprised.
shawcroft

Post by shawcroft »

The Last Campaign. It describes the 1948 Presidential campaign- we might have a bit of a re-run of this campaign in 2012 ( i.e., "the Do-Nothing Congress")
Shawcroft
( these are just observations about a very historic campaign)
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished Bel Canto by Ann Patchett and A World Undone by G.J. Meyer.

Now reading Correcting the Landscape by Marjorie Kowalski Cole.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Empire Falls - Richard Russo
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
chaz

Post by chaz »

"Undone" by Karin Slaughter.
camontgo

Post by camontgo »

I just finished The Blue Hour by Alonso Cueto.

Very good novel..especially if you are interested in history of Peru. The book won an award for best Spanish language novel back in 2005, but the English translation just came out on Kindle about a month ago. It was initially available on Kindle only, but I just checked Amazon and looks like the print version is available starting today.

Now starting Fortune's Formula by William Poundstone. I've been reading about the Kelly Criterion based on some previous discussions on this forum, and, in the process, I came across several recommendations for this book. I am enjoying it so far.
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George E. P Box
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Regal 56 wrote:...he keeps calling them "fish."
I have a zoology degree and I think it's fine. Melville defines "whale" as "a spouting fish with a horizontal tail," and I think that's a pretty good definition.

I don't know when or why people suddenly decided that the word "fish" should only be used in the technical sense to mean "superclass Pisces." As silly a restricting the word "power" to mean "force times distance over time." As a matter of fact, Merriam-Webster Online here gives "an aquatic animal" as the first definition of fish. It is only for definition #2 that they get into "cold-blooded strictly aquatic craniate vertebrates that include the bony fishes and usually the cartilaginous and jawless fishes and that have typically an elongated somewhat spindle-shaped body terminating in a broad caudal fin, limbs in the form of fins when present at all, and a 2-chambered heart by which blood is sent through thoracic gills to be oxygenated."

The broad meaning of the word "fish" is perfectly good. We speak of "the whale fishery," not the "whalery." We also speak of the "shrimp fishery" and "shellfish." And outside of a biology class I've never heard anyone refer to a starfish as a "sea star," have you?
On the bright side, it's a page turner, if you're willing to wade through all the interruptions to the plot.
It's even better if you find whales interesting.
It's fun to watch Melville striving to write the great American novel.
Nathaniel Hawthorne was impressed by it. In "A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys," in one of the interludes the narrator is telling the kids about the literary Berkshires and mentions "On the hither side of Pittsfield sits Herman Melville, shaping out the gigantic conception of his 'White Whale,' while the gigantic shape of Graylock looms upon him from his study-window." But it didn't actually become recognized as an important book until the 1930s or thereabouts. A version illustrated by Rockwell Kent was published by the Book-of-the-Month Club was a best-seller, but the illustrations contributed to it--so much so that people sometimes erroneously referred to "Moby-Dick, by Rockwell Kent."
Please don't tell me how it ends. I want to be surprised.
Ishmael and Queequeg get married and live happily ever after.
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Twilight of the Elite: America After Meritocracy, by Christopher Hayes.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
norookie

Post by norookie »

Liars poker, Big Short! Good stuffs. :mrgreen:
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
norookie

Post by norookie »

:happy
Last edited by norookie on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community and War, by Nathaniel Philbrick.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

Oh, I finally did finish Bleak House (Charles Dickens). Despite my sig I've only read a handful of his books--let's see: ones I was required to read in high school or college, David Copperfield, Great Expectations, and Hard Times. Oliver Twist because I was curious, having seen the musical. A Tale of Two Cities, because everyone else read it in school and I didn't. I enjoyed Stephen King and Peter Straub's Black House and tried to read Bleak House back when I read it, but couldn't get into it then.

This time I was able to, and find it to be quite a good read. I'd known about Krook's death by spontaneous combustion, but didn't realize what what a dramatic scene he makes of it. The poor little slum kid, Jo, is genuinely moving and his death scene moistened my eye even though I knew Dickens was pulling my strings. I hadn't realized that Bleak House, the house itself, is not bleak--but almost everything else in the book is.

Best passage is the one where Phil explains how he doesn't know his age, but knows that it "has an eight in it:"

"How old are you, Phil?" asks the trooper, pausing as he conveys his smoking saucer to his lips.

"I'm something with a eight in it," says Phil. "It can't be eighty. Nor yet eighteen. It's betwixt 'em, somewheres."

Mr. George, slowly putting down his saucer without tasting its contents, is laughingly beginning, "Why, what the deuce, Phil—" when he stops, seeing that Phil is counting on his dirty fingers.

"I was just eight," says Phil, "agreeable to the parish calculation, when I went with the tinker. I was sent on a errand, and I see him a-sittin under a old buildin with a fire all to himself wery comfortable, and he says, 'Would you like to come along a me, my man?' I says 'Yes,' and him and me and the fire goes home to Clerkenwell together. That was April Fool Day. I was able to count up to ten; and when April Fool Day come round again, I says to myself, 'Now, old chap, you're one and a eight in it.' April Fool Day after that, I says, 'Now, old chap, you're two and a eight in it.' In course of time, I come to ten and a eight in it; two tens and a eight in it. When it got so high, it got the upper hand of me, but this is how I always know there's a eight in it."
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I tried to read The Mystery of Edwin Drood and couldn't get past the tenth page. Not enough murder and mayhem, I guess.
Gordon
market timer

Post by market timer »

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami

Murakami is one of my favorite writers. This will be the fifth novel of his that I've read, having now finished Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Norwegian Wood, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and After Dark.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Union Pacific - The Reconfiguration: America's Greatest Railroad from 1969 to the Present by Maury Klein.

This is volume 3 of Klein's look at the Union Pacific (celebrating it's 150th year of operation). The volume looks into the issues facing the railroad industry in the late 60/s / early 70's and how UP steered around the mess.

Ed
Topic Author
randomwalk

Post by randomwalk »

I just finished Correcting the Landscape by Marjorie Kowalski Cole.

Now reading Hitler: 1889-1936 by Ian Kershaw.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

Just finished Daemon by Daniel Suarez.

Excellent cyberpunk futurology. I think Chaz would like it.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
chaz

Post by chaz »

CaliJim wrote:Just finished Daemon by Daniel Suarez.

Excellent cyberpunk futurology. I think Chaz would like it.
I don't deal with the future, only the past or present, and the crime genre. But thanks anyway.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

Lee Child's The Affair
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

MP173 wrote:Union Pacific - The Reconfiguration: America's Greatest Railroad from 1969 to the Present by Maury Klein.

This is volume 3 of Klein's look at the Union Pacific (celebrating it's 150th year of operation). The volume looks into the issues facing the railroad industry in the late 60/s / early 70's and how UP steered around the mess.

Ed
The Union Pacific? Wasn't that a bit of a mess in itself--Hoax Ames and the Credit Mobilier scandal?
chaz

Post by chaz »

bluemarlin08 wrote:Lee Child's The Affair
A very fine novel, as usual for this author.