how many bogleheads drive jeep wranglers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
touchdowntodd

how many bogleheads drive jeep wranglers?

Post by touchdowntodd »

ive been trying to decide if i want a jeep ...

ive wanted one for years, my first car was a Dodge Raider and it just wasnt a Wrangler if that makes sense lol..

some decent deals around .. unfortunately i want the straight 6 and an auto so the wife can drive it too ..

anyways .. my current daily gets 35mpg and has no signs of wearing out, its a 2000 toyota echo but it just plain doesnt feel "good" to drive it .. it feels like a pos driving it and its been a good 10 years since i had a "nicer" car .. the wifes Yaris is nice but i rarely drive it, and being 6'1" 190 its comfortable, but doesnt really feel like "me"

im a car guy .. i also have a 63 impala as my fun car, but fun in my neck of the woods isnt a lot of months out of the year.. the wrangler would probably get a mild lift and 32-33" tires. .. probably would get 21-22mpg.. i only put 4-5k miles a year on my car so while mileage counts, its not that huge of a deal for me .. wranglers i know can be dead nuts reliable if properly maintaned..

im looking at a 2003 with about 50k on it .. pretty much a stock 6/auto with hardtop and soft top .. $13k ..

any old ways.. opinions? it will be a daily driver so it will be a 98+ model for sure.. im 34 with no other debt besides a mortgage, i can easily afford the payment, i dont think it raises insurance much (although i may call to ask), and im planning a kid in 2-3 years... so it would be fun to get this and pay it off prior to then and have 2 reliable cars in the house (my echo is great and only 150k on it, but wouldnt feel "great" driving a kid around in it LOL)

thanks guys/gals
tryin to do this right... thanks guys
k-slice

Re: how many bogleheads drive jeep wranglers?

Post by k-slice »

I don't like Jeeps, but I love Toyotas.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

k-slice wrote:I don't like Jeeps, but I love Toyotas.
Not a bad place to be :D

I can hardly remember a year when Consumer Reports didn't think Jeeps were among the most unreliable vehicles around. But, then again, maybe my memory is failing ....
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
Topic Author
touchdowntodd

Post by touchdowntodd »

they have been ranked poorly, but mostly due to driver abuse ... lots of people consider them very very reliable

id love an FJ but $30k doesnt excite me :oops:
TRC

Post by TRC »

I always thought it would be a fund 3rd vehicle for summer. My brother had one, but he hated it and eventually sold it. Always worried about stuff getting stolen when the top's down. Very noisy on the highway.
boglenole

Post by boglenole »

Had one....pretty close to the model you are describing - and it was a blast. I'm 36 now and have owned or leased at least 15 different cars. Wrangler was by far the funnest.....and easily the most impracticle.

Highway driving is no fun - youre basically driving a shoebox....and a loud one at that. Wind noise is incredible.

I found the straight 6 and auto transmission to be very solid. Geat low end torque. Soft top/hard top combination is nice....it takes a little magic to figure out how to store the soft inside the hard though. Plus you need a place to store the hard top when you remove it.

Not a good family vehicle, they chew through tires at an incredible pace, you cant haul anything in them......but if you have no kids and want a fun car - thats it. Rare car thats fun in the summer and the winter.

PS - if youre looking at different wranglers - look for one that has the locking storage trunk in the back. Very nice benefit to be able to lock it when the top and doors are off.
Topic Author
touchdowntodd

Post by touchdowntodd »

maybe not practical .. but for 15 miles round trip a day on 45mph tops roads could be a ton of fun..

loans are at 3.7% through my credit union and my insurance would cost exactly the same believe it or now .. hmm..
chaz

Post by chaz »

I like my Corolla.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

touchdowntodd wrote:maybe not practical .. but for 15 miles round trip a day on 45mph tops roads could be a ton of fun..

loans are at 3.7% through my credit union and my insurance would cost exactly the same believe it or now .. hmm..
I won't comment on the Jeep, but 3.7% is pretty high. You can do better.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

If I'm not mistaken, Consumer Reports has consistently rated them poor in reliability.
Gordon
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

If you want a reliable version, get one of these: http://icon4x4.com/overview/cj/models

OK, it costs over 80k. But perfection isn't ever cheap.

See a review here: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/19/revi ... ive-parts/
Then you pop the hood and notice the wire tie-downs. Instead of the usual cheap, plastic, Made-in-China stuff we're all used to, these are sharp looking aluminum pieces repurposed from a local (Los Angeles-based) aircraft manufacturer. In fact, Ward tries to use as many aircraft components as possible because, "The distribution channels are just as good and the quality standards are way above and beyond what's considered acceptable by car makers." There's not a single light bulb anywhere on the CJ3B – even the headlights are LED, as they last longer and use less energy. The headlights were actually developed for Hummers deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan and the CJ3B is their first civilian application.

Ward doesn't just look to other vehicles for design inspiration. The clasps that hold the windshield in place are from a refrigerator. "Sub-Zero perfected these one hundred years ago," Ward explains. "So we use them." The seats are stuffed with Tempur-Pedic foam because, "It's really comfortable." The chairs and the bikini top are made out of a Chilewich vinyl material Ward spotted in a suite at the Wynn Hotel in Las Vegas. At first Chilewich wasn't interested in supplying Icon, so Ward underhandedly got a hold of the material, built the seats and showed them to Chilewich. We sat on the results. Remember the Cardinal powder coating? Ward originally saw it while looking at the non-reflective exterior bits of Frank Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Sometimes good old fashioned craftsmanship is where Ward gets his inspiration. Take for instance the CJ3B's emblems. Most car emblems are plastic or cheap metal dipped in even cheaper chrome. The CJ3B emblems are built from pewter and then enameled by hand. They're built by a specialty jeweler in Pennsylvania as "an expression of old world craftsmanship." They also cost Icon $400 each. Or take the dash knobs. They're CNC'd from a chunk of stainless steel, then knurled on a 1940s lathe before being hand engraved and enameled....

... And here's a final example of what the brand's all about: There are no air tools used in the finish/final assembly phase of any Icon products. Hand torquing every single nut and bolt guarantees the level of quality control Ward wants and the products demand. We could go on (and you can't even imagine what makes up the $135,000 Icon FJ), but we think you get the point.
Topic Author
touchdowntodd

Post by touchdowntodd »

you guys are making me think too logically now .. perhaps an upgrade to a 2000-2003 camry/lexus is in order .. keep the reliability but get a little more enjoyment .. hmm
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

There is more than one streetable mid size 4-wheeler that originated from AM General. The other one is much more quiet, luxurious and with factory front and rear lockers is 90% of what a Wrangler Rubicon would be. And suitable to haul a wife and baby around in, travel cross country with a trailer and climb over stumps and fallen trees in tight quarters. It also pisses of ignorant eco freaks and holier-than-thou hippie types who flip you off for no reason and put I Luv Polluting stickers on your tailgate when you're at the park. Bonus. :beer

And at 125K-plus miles for the 2007 model I own has been 100% reliable.
Swamproot

Post by Swamproot »

touchdowntodd wrote:ive been trying to decide if i want a jeep ...

.. probably would get 21-22mpg.. i only put 4-5k miles a year on my car so while mileage counts, its not that huge of a deal for me ..
That is hugely optimistic. Think more like 16 or 17.
touchdowntodd wrote: im looking at a 2003 with about 50k on it .. pretty much a stock 6/auto with hardtop and soft top .. $13k ..
thanks guys/gals
I have a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited, and love it. I've wanted one since I was a little kid. But what everyone else said is true. Its loud. Those hard tops have to be stored and the larger Unlimited one is almost too much for two people to handle (it can be done). Those bigger off-road tires are crazy expensive. You can easily get your stuff stolen, including your entire soft top, as was the case of a friend who actually spotted his stolen soft top in a parking lot and promptly "stole" it back. Or as another acquaintance once said: if you need a battery and can't buy one, find a Jeep. :-)

(That's a veiled recommendation for a hood lock.)

But I still love it. Its a convertible, its a 4X4, and with the doors off it's a 4 wheeled motorcycle. They also hold their value well.
Last edited by Swamproot on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

touchdowntodd wrote:you guys are making me think too logically now ..
I hate when that happens :D

Maybe this will cheer you up:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... te/1355204
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Never owned a Wrangler but knew a few who did. They both sold their Wranglers after a few years (both bought used ones) mostly because how unconfortable the vehicle was on the highway ---- lots of road noise, stiff ride, wind. I would look into buying a used Forester but with the sunroof. The sunroof is huge, about 38 inches in length and this makes it feel like an open air car. It rides better than a Wrangler and is rock solid in winter driving. Plus it has more space to haul things and holds it's value quite well. Disclaimer - I bought a new Forester a few years ago and am quite pleased.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
MidnightX

Post by MidnightX »

I loved my 1985 CJ7 Jeep Renegade 5 spd. I bought it new and sold it at 200,000 miles. Unreliable, bad gas mileage, noisy, uncomfortable, no trunk or storage area to speak of, stiff bumpy ride, limited on number of people you can fit, tough to drive in high wind areas (high center of gravity). Not a Wrangler, but most jeeps have those same traits. But dang, I loved that jeep and really, really miss it! It would be great as a second vehicle but not so much as your primary daily driver.
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

Looking for one to use as a third "fun" vehicle. Consumer Reports hates everything that isn't a Honda or Toyota. I would look into some Jeep forums for your answer. If you have the itch, you may as well scratch it. There's no other vehicle out there that can compare.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I have an 2005 Jeep Wrangler. It's my main source of transportation. I love my Jeep and won't consider getting rid of it. As others have pointed out, there are some challenges. I have a 4 inch lift with 33 inch tires. As a result, I get about 12-13 miles to the gallon. That isn't great, but I knew I wouldn't get great gas mileage when I bought the vehicle. Also, it's not the smoothest ride, but again, it's a Jeep. I have both a hard and soft top, so storing the hard top can be a challenge. Despite all these challenges I won't sell it. I love driving it. I love taking it to the mountains as I can fit both my mountain bike and snowboard in the vehicle. I have a family and we travel with the top off and we all love it. The problem I'm having now is I continue to want to accessorize my Jeep. Overall, it's a fun vehicle and I anticipate keeping it long term. I thought I might sell it once I had a family. I didn't because I love it so much. You only live once. Even Bogleheads deserve the occasional splurge. By the way, it's a reliable vehicle. At least my vehicle is. I've only had to replace a battery over the last five years.
mortal

Post by mortal »

My dad and grandpa owned a jeep, but I have to say, I don't understand the appeal. If you do a *lot* of offroading, I might understand.

Then again, pretty much any beat up old f150 or silverado 4x4 will handle 98% of your offroading needs. Roll down the windows, same difference. Heck, my dad's hunting truck is a '85 toyota pickup that's been going strong for 27 YEARS now. The body will rust to pieces before that thing stops running.

If you don't go offroading, and want a fun convertable, might I suggest a miata? If that's not 'manly' enough for ya (never understood that either), you can always get a 5.0 mustang.
scouter

Post by scouter »

MidnightX wrote:I loved my 1985 CJ7 Jeep Renegade 5 spd. I bought it new and sold it at 200,000 miles. Unreliable, bad gas mileage, noisy, uncomfortable, no trunk or storage area to speak of, stiff bumpy ride, limited on number of people you can fit, tough to drive in high wind areas (high center of gravity). Not a Wrangler, but most jeeps have those same traits. But dang, I loved that jeep and really, really miss it! It would be great as a second vehicle but not so much as your primary daily driver.
I'll second everything MidnightX said. I drove a '78 CJ7 for 15 years and loved it. Terribly unreliable, I can't even remember all the things that went wrong with it. Went through at least 3 steering gearboxes, gas tank rusted through, shifter broke while driving, steering wheel linkage broke while driving, etc. The new Wranglers have the same reputation for being unreliable. Noisy, bumpy ride, wear-you-out loud on the highway. But, on a nice day, with the top and doors off, it was a beautiful ride. And when it snowed hard and everyone else was racing to get home, I'd be heading out for a cruise. I still miss it, and wish I had one as a third car. Just parked in the garage with the top off, waiting for that first nice spring day...
devilslayer

Post by devilslayer »

sold mine in less then a year,yep its fun but if your rideing thru the city you will actually get exhausted steering...my biggest problem was the top..i either had a leak or some part would break,once a long rubber piece came flying off while on the high way,so the next morning i went straight to the mazda dealer and bought a brand new mazda 3
BobStrauss

Post by BobStrauss »

jeeps are hobby cars. incredibly fun though! nothing quite like zipping around town on cool summer evenings with no top or doors to speak of.

when i was in high school, i dumped all my summer cash (from working as a concrete laborer) into my jeep. jacked it up like an idiot, big 33" tires on it, and my dad helped me swap in an old chevy v8. you think your jeep rides poorly on the highway? i'm the kid who drove it four hours each way to uni multiple times a year. at 75 mph on those tires, the mileage was even worse than the ride. i think i got about 7 mpg once! like a crime against nature. never again.

the nice thing about jeeps is that they are relatively cheap and easily customized (which i plan to do again to make it a little more reasonable in my older age). the bad thing is that they're always breaking down in some way. hell, a mechanic once even told me that JEEP means "just empty every pocket". mine has a lot of sentimental value though, so it's worth it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Aren't you the same guy who just posted in another car thread about possibly getting a Prius C and has started other regular threads about buying a new camry? Sounds like someone has car ADD. If you are looking for a daily driver, almost could not get worse than a Jeep wrangler. Count me as another who simply does not get the appeal; horrible wind noise, almost unbearably stiff ride, terrible gas mileage, security issues because of the soft top... Wranglers are hobby cars
camiboxer

Post by camiboxer »

I'm a Jeep fan and have one myself (Grand Cherokee) so I have to vote "Go for it".
And for those who are not fans.....
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand! :D
Topic Author
touchdowntodd

Post by touchdowntodd »

stoptothink wrote:Aren't you the same guy who just posted in another car thread about possibly getting a Prius C and has started other regular threads about buying a new camry? Sounds like someone has car ADD. If you are looking for a daily driver, almost could not get worse than a Jeep wrangler. Count me as another who simply does not get the appeal; horrible wind noise, almost unbearably stiff ride, terrible gas mileage, security issues because of the soft top... Wranglers are hobby cars
ya thats me.. the C or Camry is for the wife ...

but alas i gave in to my more basic side .. i spent a few hours yesterday changing all fluids, going over the engine and trans and brakes on the Echo, detailed it inside and out, got it lookin as good as it can (surprisingly well) ... at 151k its just getting started .. I might play a mental game with myself to see how many miles I can get out of it .. ive seen them with 400k on em ...

the main reasons I decided to not change cars are as followed (this is after I decided a local 2000 avalon with 150k on it would be great for me and fill the wifes need for something more "substantial" when she wants to drive it)

- echo is paid and clear obviously, avalon would have cost $1500 out of pocket (after selling echo to a friend for agreed upon price)
- echo has timing chain vs timing belt = less maintenance
- echo has been in the family since new, I bought it from my dad when it hit 135k 4+ years ago so I know maintenance history (not that much has been needed LOL), also some sentimental value in it because of that
- echos 35mpg while not a huge concern is still nice
- I figure the Echo will be worth the same in 3-4 years, I can revisit the situation then ... seems like clean toyotas are always worth 2-3k

Im thinking I will do new struts and upper mounts for a couple hundred bucks on the front (rears are no where near worn, no one has ever even sat in back seat LOL) ... and drive proudly!
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

touchdowntodd wrote: but alas i gave in to my more basic side .. i spent a few hours yesterday changing all fluids, going over the engine and trans and brakes on the Echo, detailed it inside and out, got it lookin as good as it can (surprisingly well) ... at 151k its just getting started .. I might play a mental game with myself to see how many miles I can get out of it .. ive seen them with 400k on em ...
Isn't that funny how that works? My advice to anyone who has the "new car" itch is to spend a day detailing the cr*p out of your old one. If you still want to sell it, then its ready. Most of the time, you won't.

We had to buy a newer vehicle when the baby came and finally sold my wife's old car, which I never liked to begin with. After spending a day on it, I felt like it was a shame to sell it!

JT
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

My Dad bought a WWII Jeep in 1946 for $100.00. It was coated with cozmoline and the wheels and tires were in the back seat. It was the first vehicle I ever drove in 1949 ( I was 9 years old). It was a work and fun machine. I bought another Jeep Wrangler in 2002 (A2000 model) and it absorbed huge amounts of repair money. It was fun, but way too expensive -- I sold it after a year.
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

FWIW - Friends who were trying to adopt had a Jeep Wrangler. I have no idea if it was the same kind you are referring to. One of the many evaluations they got in the process noted they had an inappropriate vehicle, even though their other vehicle was a regular 4 door sedan. They ignored the comment, kept the car, and still got to adopt a toddler.

After a year or so of being parents, they decided the Wrangler was an inappropriate vehicle, and traded it in for a 4 door sedan.
m139115

Post by m139115 »

I have wanted a jeep wrangler since I played with the hot wheels version about 40 years ago. Broke down and purchased a new one last fall. It is a no frills, no power anything jeep and I absolutely love it. I will admit, it is a toy and probably not suitable for an only car, but for weekends and future retirement in S.Carolina, it is great!
p14175

Post by p14175 »

I had a 1993 Grand Cherokee. It was an amazing 4x4 and it performed well on the hardcore 4x4 trails here in AZ. I literally paid for the vehicle 2x in repairs before I sold it. Would I buy another one? Nope. It cost way too much to keep alive.
may pop

Post by may pop »

Ive got a 2004 Rubicon. I call it my Gentlemens Jeep. I can hop into it a drive any where I want at any time.
My fabulous wife told me to buy it after driving beaters to work for 30 years. She found the bucks and paid cash for it. I still drive a beater to work.
All it gets used for now is heading to the sand dunes in michigan and trips for icecream. It sits in the garage just waiting for an adventure. Its a toy thats not real comfortable to drive to work a long distance each day. Not for everyone unless your a little different.
Ron
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

touchdowntodd wrote:ive been trying to decide if i want a jeep ...

ive wanted one for years, my first car was a Dodge Raider and it just wasnt a Wrangler if that makes sense lol..

some decent deals around .. unfortunately i want the straight 6 and an auto so the wife can drive it too ..

anyways .. my current daily gets 35mpg and has no signs of wearing out, its a 2000 toyota echo but it just plain doesnt feel "good" to drive it .. it feels like a pos driving it and its been a good 10 years since i had a "nicer" car .. the wifes Yaris is nice but i rarely drive it, and being 6'1" 190 its comfortable, but doesnt really feel like "me"

im a car guy .. i also have a 63 impala as my fun car, but fun in my neck of the woods isnt a lot of months out of the year.. the wrangler would probably get a mild lift and 32-33" tires. .. probably would get 21-22mpg.. i only put 4-5k miles a year on my car so while mileage counts, its not that huge of a deal for me .. wranglers i know can be dead nuts reliable if properly maintaned..

im looking at a 2003 with about 50k on it .. pretty much a stock 6/auto with hardtop and soft top .. $13k ..

any old ways.. opinions? it will be a daily driver so it will be a 98+ model for sure.. im 34 with no other debt besides a mortgage, i can easily afford the payment, i dont think it raises insurance much (although i may call to ask), and im planning a kid in 2-3 years... so it would be fun to get this and pay it off prior to then and have 2 reliable cars in the house (my echo is great and only 150k on it, but wouldnt feel "great" driving a kid around in it LOL)

thanks guys/gals
Can I summarize? Just reading everyone else's posts.

Fun car.

(I'd have concerns re safety re rollovers etc. also theft from an open top vehicle)

NOT a daily use car, unless your 'trip' to work is like 10-15 miles on unpaved roads. Repairs and mileage are going to eat you.

NOT a car for regular winter or bad weather use (maybe you live someplace that's not an issue).

But a fun car. Great to have fun in.
wwross

Post by wwross »

Fun Car. 2003 Year. 9,000 miles. From CarMax My wife wanted to get one after a bad couple of corporate executive days. It has been fun for my teenaged boys to drive to school in.

But, it has been outrageously expensive. Many issues with rear axle, differentials, brakes, tires. Its being sold in August.
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

If you have only experienced a pre 2006 Jeep you owe it to yourself to test drive a JK 2007+.

They added a lot of creature comforts as well as safety features. The unlimited is a great do it all Jeep that can handle a 6-7 hour road trip in comfort, then drop the top and loose the doors and have a blast all weekend. A few accessories from Tuffy will take care of any theft concerns.

I loved mine as it was like having two cars in one, a summer convertible I could drive out onto the beach with the doors off, and a winter Ski truck that could fit 4 people with full ski gear while driving through a foot of snow.
Rich Cape Cod

Post by Rich Cape Cod »

I recently purchased a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara (she had 20,150 miles on her). This is my Cape Cod car (wife uses a Rav-4). Came with a hard "Freedom" top (front pieces come off in a couple of minutes to turn it into a convertible). Took the rear seat out (easy to do) for extra room in the back (only my wife and I are ever in it). Very comfortable to get into and out of. Electric windows, satellite radio, auto transmission. This Jeep rides nicely (don’t do highway with it, I prefer back roads). No off road stuff. So far I’m enjoying the car.

I’m no lead foot, so am getting between 18 and 19 mpg. I’ve yet to take it on an extended ride, so I have no idea as to highway mileage. I’m sure it ain’t gonna be competition to a Prius…

Fun car.

Rich
Rich Cape Cod/AZ
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

In my Unlimited 6-speed with 3.21 gears, I could pull 20 MPG on the highway without a problem.

Rich make sure you get an over sand pass and head out to Race Point, nothing better than having a beach to youself
Rich Cape Cod

Post by Rich Cape Cod »

PowDay wrote:.... Rich make sure you get an over sand pass and head out to Race Point, nothing better than having a beach to youself...
PowDay, the salt, the salt!! :happy

Rich
Rich Cape Cod/AZ
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Liberty are also very capable off road and in snow and they are more user friendly on the road. My brother has a diesel Jeep Liberty and gets 32 mpg highway. They don't make that model anymore, his has 150K miles on it. Wranglers have a high lip that you have to lift your leg over upon entry and exit. I guess that allows them to ford deeper water without it entering the passenger compartment. I entertained serious thoughts about getting a 4 door Wrangler. Edmund's forums had a lot of complaints about leaking hard tops. I ended up with a 4x4 Chevy Crewcab Silverado pickup. GM lies about their 8 cylinder pickups getting 21 mpg highway, more like 17.5.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

PowDay, the salt, the salt!!
Buy it to use it :) can't be any worse than what they put down on the roads.

Now the gallons of sand in the interior, that's another story.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

bottlecap wrote:
touchdowntodd wrote: but alas i gave in to my more basic side .. i spent a few hours yesterday changing all fluids, going over the engine and trans and brakes on the Echo, detailed it inside and out, got it lookin as good as it can (surprisingly well) ... at 151k its just getting started .. I might play a mental game with myself to see how many miles I can get out of it .. ive seen them with 400k on em ...
Isn't that funny how that works? My advice to anyone who has the "new car" itch is to spend a day detailing the cr*p out of your old one. If you still want to sell it, then its ready. Most of the time, you won't.
That is great advice. I need to start detailing mine.
Mine has some dents and paint damage. Anyone know how much it would cost to get it fixed on the cheap?