Chicago chapter meeting

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
VictoriaF

Chicago chapter meeting

Post by VictoriaF »

Is there a Chicago chapter? If yes, are any near-term meetings planned?

I may be spending the next two months in Chicago and would be interested in meeting local Bogleheads.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Socrativestor

Post by Socrativestor »

Depends on what the meaning of "is" is... :lol:

There are a number of Bogleheads in Chicago and we did meet for a few times several years ago when the local chapters were getting set up. But somehow we were never able to sustain momentum.

Personally I'd be thrilled to meet (with) you when you are here. And perhaps we could use your visit to try to re-start the group. Additionally / alternatively Alex Frakt lives here, so you might want to contact him.

There is also a (pretty inactive) yahoo group you can join and email to if you like:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chidie/
--Socrativestor | "Neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance."
trax

Post by trax »

One year ninja bump... ;)

It looks like the Yahoo group is pretty much dead.

Any reason why? I'm surprised given the fact that a Diehards gathering was held in Chicago a few years ago.

Anybody up for starting a Meetup group?
Socrativestor

Post by Socrativestor »

trax wrote:One year ninja bump... ;)

It looks like the Yahoo group is pretty much dead.

Any reason why? I'm surprised given the fact that a Diehards gathering was held in Chicago a few years ago.

Anybody up for starting a Meetup group?
I can't explain it, but I'd certainly be interested in an attempt at revival.
--Socrativestor | "Neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance."
bhead33

Re: Chicago chapter?

Post by bhead33 »

I would love to do a meetup too!
raf1919

Post by raf1919 »

chicago NW burb bump here..

just curious.. whats happens in meets?? can we have Mr Bogle present?? :)
searhapsody

Post by searhapsody »

I'm in Chicago too, and interested in meeting others. Let me know about the meetup
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Interested as well!
VINNY

Post by VINNY »

In the Chicagoland burbs as well, Orland Park area, count me in...
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I'd be willing to organize a Chicago meeting. Is there a list of people somewhere I can work from?
rayout

Post by rayout »

I would be interested as well.
roosterguy

Post by roosterguy »

I am interested in a Chicago chapter - downtown/Loop ideally.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Count me in.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Bfwolf wrote:I'd be willing to organize a Chicago meeting. Is there a list of people somewhere I can work from?
First, there is an existing Chicago Local Chapter #20, but it may be dormant due to either lack of leadership or interest. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 214844&z=4

If you want to revitalize the chapter, let me know via PM. Give me a name and e-mail address I can use to add to the Local Chapters Map. You can then use this Local Chapters sub-forum to communicate with Chapter members and potential members to plan meeting dates, locations, agendas, etc.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
emcgee8

Post by emcgee8 »

I'd be up for a downtown/loop meeting in Chicago as well.
rayout

Post by rayout »

I am looking to re-start the Chicago chapter. Please post if you are interested. I am looking to set up a meeting in the next month or so. First meeting will be informal, we will introduce ourselves to each other, describe investment goals, methods, etc. Weekday evenings work for me since I do not live in the City. I was thinking Friday night would work best.

Anyone know a good venue? A place with good seating and that is not too loud.
ziszew

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Post by ziszew »

I'd be up for a meeting as well, although I'm not back in the country until the end of Feb/early Mar.

I think venue will depend on where people are coming from and going to. If there are a lot of Metra folks, we can pick something that way. If most are heading north on 90/94 and LSD, something on Ohio/Grand/Ontario might work better.

I think getting an idea of numbers would help; anyone interested can post here or PM me with preferred day of the week and location. I'm currently on Asia time so responses might take a bit as I'm 14 hours "off" EST. Once we get an idea of how many and were is preferred we can pick a spot that works.
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

Interested here as well. Friday night would work. Can't think of a venue right now, but I will try to come up with a few.
rayout

Post by rayout »

ziszew wrote:I'd be up for a meeting as well, although I'm not back in the country until the end of Feb/early Mar.

I think venue will depend on where people are coming from and going to. If there are a lot of Metra folks, we can pick something that way. If most are heading north on 90/94 and LSD, something on Ohio/Grand/Ontario might work better.

I think getting an idea of numbers would help; anyone interested can post here or PM me with preferred day of the week and location. I'm currently on Asia time so responses might take a bit as I'm 14 hours "off" EST. Once we get an idea of how many and were is preferred we can pick a spot that works.
Ziszew, I've already asked Mel to set me up as the local coordinator for the chapter. For ease of coordination I'd prefer everyone to post in this thread for now so we can all get a sense of who is interested. Please let me know if you received any PMs that were not posted here.
bhead33

Post by bhead33 »

I am definitely interested in a meeting. We could meet at the Wit hotels restaurant - "State and Lake" - its not loud (I think) but might be a little expensive.

I can also book the event room in my apartment building for free [could find out more if people are interested].
rayout

Post by rayout »

bhead33 wrote:I am definitely interested in a meeting. We could meet at the Wit hotels restaurant - "State and Lake" - its not loud (I think) but might be a little expensive.

I can also book the event room in my apartment building for free [could find out more if people are interested].
Whats the address or nearest intersection for your apartment building?
ziszew

Post by ziszew »

rayout wrote:
Ziszew, I've already asked Mel to set me up as the local coordinator for the chapter. For ease of coordination I'd prefer everyone to post in this thread for now so we can all get a sense of who is interested. Please let me know if you received any PMs that were not posted here.
Sounds good (and less work for me :happy ). Everyone has posted on here as well so nothing further needed.
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

As much as I hate "me too" posts, I'd be interested in attending as well.

Thanks!
Paul V

Post by Paul V »

Count me in. I live in the NW burbs and work downtown.
michey312

Post by michey312 »

I am interested in attending if it is downtown.
Socrativestor

Post by Socrativestor »

I'm interested too ...
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

I am in. Mt. Greenwood/Oak Lawn area and willing to travel.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein
Transition

Post by Transition »

Count me in.

Transition
bhead33

Post by bhead33 »

is anything happening here or has the momentum been lost already ?
rayout

Post by rayout »

Still planning on going ahead with this but been quite busy! Looking to schedule this for March 15th - how does this work for everyone's schedule?
Transition

Post by Transition »

That date is good for me. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Chicago Lion

Post by Chicago Lion »

I would be interested. I live in Naperville. What about Oak park for a Location? Pretty central from a North/South perspective. Also the L runs out there and for those of us in the burbs its not too far of a drive.
Chicago Lion

Post by Chicago Lion »

Thinking about it, we might be able to find a restaurant that has a room you can reserve. As long as we all order dinner there is often no charge. I don't know if they offer those rooms on a Friday or not. Maggiano's has these rooms for sure as I have been to dinners in the Chicago and Naperville in their private rooms. There is a Giordanos in Oak Park. I don't know if they have a private room or not.
matjen

Post by matjen »

Date should work for me. I'm OK with Chicago or Oak Park, etc.
agill99

Post by agill99 »

I am interested also. The date and tentative place(s) (Chicago or Oak Park) work for me.

Thanks for organizing this!
BHawks87

Post by BHawks87 »

Chicago Lion wrote:Thinking about it, we might be able to find a restaurant that has a room you can reserve. As long as we all order dinner there is often no charge. I don't know if they offer those rooms on a Friday or not. Maggiano's has these rooms for sure as I have been to dinners in the Chicago and Naperville in their private rooms. There is a Giordanos in Oak Park. I don't know if they have a private room or not.

Magianos :shock: I thought we were bogleheads!

How about McDonald's :mrgreen:
agill99

Post by agill99 »

BHawks87 wrote:
Chicago Lion wrote:Thinking about it, we might be able to find a restaurant that has a room you can reserve. As long as we all order dinner there is often no charge. I don't know if they offer those rooms on a Friday or not. Maggiano's has these rooms for sure as I have been to dinners in the Chicago and Naperville in their private rooms. There is a Giordanos in Oak Park. I don't know if they have a private room or not.

Magianos :shock: I thought we were bogleheads!

How about McDonald's :mrgreen:
There's a Denny's on Harlem in Oak Park. :mrgreen:
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

I could attend Mar. 15. I live/work in Rogers Park so anything but downtown is sort of a trek for me, but I'd make the effort as long it's not way out in Kane County or anything crazy.

ETA: What about the ING Cafe at Water Tower? (OK, Capital One 360 Cafe now). Last I was there they had repainted and were working on opening new rooms to host meetings. Based on their coffee prices, I'd expect it's pretty inexpensive, if not free.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

Sounds great. I'd love to drop by for a drink and meet some folks.
bhead33

Post by bhead33 »

I am in for downtown and second ING Cafe.
michey312

Post by michey312 »

Are we going to confirm a date? Seems like the former ING space will work.
ziszew

Post by ziszew »

michey312 wrote:Are we going to confirm a date? Seems like the former ING space will work.
Next week works; I think the key is to get the ball rolling with the first one and go from there.

Earlier people were kicking around Friday as the preferred day of the week.

Does the 15th work for those that can make ING Cafe (or whatever the advertiser's have paid to call it)?
matjen

Post by matjen »

That works for me as does ING Cafe.
rayout

Post by rayout »

ziszew wrote:
michey312 wrote:Are we going to confirm a date? Seems like the former ING space will work.
Next week works; I think the key is to get the ball rolling with the first one and go from there.

Earlier people were kicking around Friday as the preferred day of the week.

Does the 15th work for those that can make ING Cafe (or whatever the advertiser's have paid to call it)?
Sorry procrastinating and for not getting the ball rolling sooner - been pretty swamped between work and chairing and event for another organization. I will be sending out messages to all who have expressed interest and request e-mails to get a mailing list going.

Our first meeting will be March 15th at the Capital One 360 Cafe (formerly ING cafe): 21 E. Chestnut Street
Chicago, IL 60611

How does 6 PM sound for everyone?

First meeting will have no set agenda, just introductions (and describing your investing style/methods and goals).

Looks like the cafe closes at 6 PM: http://cafes.capitalone360.com/chicago/ - maybe we need to find another venue?

Another option as far as future venues go: I've asked and gotten tentative permission from my company to have use of our Chicago office's rooftop (complete with grill) when the weather warms up.
Freg

Post by Freg »

Hello,
I may be interested in the chapter meeting. Once I know when, I'll know if I can go. Unfortunately, my work schedule is all over the place.
michey312

Post by michey312 »

What if we did a breakfast meeting instead? Perhaps we could use the Capital space.

Another option is Red Violet 121 W Hubbard St Chicago, IL 60654 - the menu is $15-30 entres, but they will give us the entire downstairs as private space.

Does anyone have membership to mid-america or the metropolitan club? That might be a good option for meeting space.
bhead33

Post by bhead33 »

michey312 wrote:What if we did a breakfast meeting instead? Perhaps we could use the Capital space.

Another option is Red Violet 121 W Hubbard St Chicago, IL 60654 - the menu is $15-30 entres, but they will give us the entire downstairs as private space.

Does anyone have membership to mid-america or the metropolitan club? That might be a good option for meeting space.
Cant do breakfast unless its on Saturday. Lets do red violet on Friday at 6 pm ?
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

bhead33 wrote:
michey312 wrote:What if we did a breakfast meeting instead? Perhaps we could use the Capital space.

Cant do breakfast unless its on Saturday. Lets do red violet on Friday at 6 pm ?
I can usually do breakfast any day except Saturday :-(

I'm up for Red Violet though.

If we want cheap, we can meet in my office on the corner of Belmont and Pulaski in the former Florsheim factory. We only use it for consultations on Saturdays and the occasional Wednesday evening, so it's available at any other times. We've got parking or it's about a mile west of the Belmont Blue Line stop. You can also take the 77 Belmont bus from the Brown/Red lines if you have plenty of time :-)
ziszew

Post by ziszew »

Alex Frakt wrote:
bhead33 wrote:

I can usually do breakfast any day except Saturday :-(

I'm up for Red Violet though.

If we want cheap, we can meet in my office on the corner of Belmont and Pulaski in the former Florsheim factory. We only use it for consultations on Saturdays and the occasional Wednesday evening, so it's available at any other times. We've got parking or it's about a mile west of the Belmont Blue Line stop. You can also take the 77 Belmont bus from the Brown/Red lines if you have plenty of time :-)
If it's a question of space, we can meet in one of the community rooms at my condo building in Streeterville; straight shot to/from 90/94 on Ohio and Ontario, easy access to LSD and not too far from downtown. There's a pizza place a block away (Brooklyn style thin crust that is quite good) and we can pick up beer/wine from the Dominick's two blocks away. Cheaper than going to a restaurant and the space would be ours for the night. As long as we're under 60+ people the space is big enough; we just need to provide the food and booze.

I can reserve it and give the pizza place a heads up if people are interested...

Edit: there's also an Irish bar, Chipotle, Potbelly's, Epic Burger, Pei Wei, etc within about two blocks so all tastes can be accommodated
Last edited by ziszew on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

If take Streeterville over anywhere west of the Blue Line any day, and probably won't come if its at a restaurant.