How much do you spend on groceries?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
hsv_climber

How much do you spend on groceries?

Post by hsv_climber »

Lets revive the old thread and see how inflation has changed things: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... =2&t=40681

Personally, we spend ~$550-$600 / month (family of 4, but kids are 4 & 9). Would like to get that number down to $500 or less, but not sure how.
Random Poster

Re: How much do you spend on groceries?

Post by Random Poster »

Our food budget for 2 people is currently around $800 a month. We generally spend $650 or so, and that is just on groceries. We seldom eat out in restaurants and I brown bag my lunch at work.

Food where we live is pricey compared to the US, particularly in regard to dairy products.
Robert44

Post by Robert44 »

Family of two: We spend around $400, and we eat very well. Try to cook enough for two meals.
We go out about 6 times a month and usually have left overs for another meal.
kybourbon

Post by kybourbon »

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'd like to know if everyone separates out actual groceries vs. personal/cleaning/toiletry supplies, etc. from the grocery budget. Our "grocery" budget is about $700/mo for a family of 2, however this includes everything we purchase(not just food) except for a once, maybe twice, a month trip to Costco.

Also, if the month has 5 weekends included and not 4 the grocery budget is higher, however this usually ends up evening out over the course of the year.

kybourbon
"Our favorite holding period is forever" (WB)
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Absolutely no idea. I'm Kroger's dream shopper. My wife eats a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables so I'm at the store almost every other day. And while I'm there I usually pick up something else (ice cream???) because it looks good to me. Also I often do my mother-in-laws shopping for her, so this provides even more opportunities to get something 'good' for myself. I admit it. I'm not a Boglehead at the grocery store.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Taylor Larimore

6% cash back on groceries

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Bogleheads:

If you have a large grocery budget, take a look at the American Express Preferred Blue Cash Card with 6% grocery cash back ($100 sign-up bonus; $75 annual fee).

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-c ... sh-review/

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Running about $325 a month for a family of 3 - this includes toiletries/cleaning supplies.
Don't know about low inflation, seems each time I go to the grocery store the bill grows, meat is up big time (50 cents a lb for chop meat) as are steaks, chicken is up at least that much as well, cereals - up at least 5% unless you buy sugary snacks, fruits are up, vegetables not as much. Guess I could always subsitute and eat a computer chip. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
auntJovie

Post by auntJovie »

We generally come close to our budget of $315/mo for family of three (little one's almost two), not including the household stuff. We're currently experimenting with purchasing beef "on the hoof" as a cost-saving measure -- results remain to be seen.
yosef

Post by yosef »

kybourbon wrote:I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'd like to know if everyone separates out actual groceries vs. personal/cleaning/toiletry supplies, etc. from the grocery budget. Our "grocery" budget is about $700/mo for a family of 2, however this includes everything we purchase(not just food) except for a once, maybe twice, a month trip to Costco.

Also, if the month has 5 weekends included and not 4 the grocery budget is higher, however this usually ends up evening out over the course of the year.

kybourbon
If it comes from the grocery store, I categorize as groceries. For stores like Costco, I'll usually categorize based on what constituted the majority of the purchase. That said, I'm not as strict about tracking spending as I used to be, largely because there are too many stores like Costco, Target, etc in which I buy just about anything, and I finally decided that getting out a calculator and splitting transactions was a waste of my time. YMMV.

As for the original question, we spend probably ~$550 on groceries for a family of 4, and another $250-$300 on dining out monthly. I've always felt that was high, but we've had trouble substantially reducing it.
ocdokie

Post by ocdokie »

$300 per month, groceries only. Household of 2 retired adults who are indifferent eaters and 1 rabbit who demands the best fruits, vegetables, and salads.
supersharpie

Post by supersharpie »

My wife and I are DINKS. We don't keep exact track of what we spend on groceries but $4500 is about right; it has spiked a little since a Whole Foods opened close to our home. We also spend about $1500 on dining out so that puts us in the ballpark of $6000 a year for all food related expenses.
Topic Author
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

cheese_breath wrote:Absolutely no idea. I'm Kroger's dream shopper. My wife eats a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables so I'm at the store almost every other day. And while I'm there I usually pick up something else (ice cream???) because it looks good to me. Also I often do my mother-in-laws shopping for her, so this provides even more opportunities to get something 'good' for myself. I admit it. I'm not a Boglehead at the grocery store.
I had no idea either until I've started using Mint.com couple on months ago.
I'd include toiletries/cleaning with groceries, but we did not buy any since started using Mint.
Last edited by hsv_climber on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

$120-$150/month for groceries for 1. This includes toiletries/hygiene items as I might spend $30/yr total on these.
Topic Author
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

GRT2BOUTDOORS wrote:Running about $325 a month for a family of 3 - this includes toiletries/cleaning supplies.
I am impressed. How do you manage to do that, especially in NY market? Costco/Sam's only? Or Loss leaders?
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Our bill is holding steady to going down. We did cancel two CSAs, and I make our bread. I've gotten better about buying in bulk, and my pantry is much more organized.

I also gave up wine for Lent... that sure had a positive impact :)
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
ocdokie

Post by ocdokie »

I had no idea either until I've started using Mint.com couple on months ago.
+1.
rdmayo21

Post by rdmayo21 »

Although I don't really keep close track of it, I'd say it's probably around $300 for me alone. The majority of that goes towards grass fed meat and wild seafood. Not exactly the typical diet for a college student.
pkh01l

Post by pkh01l »

For one, I am spending about $180 per month on groceries, toiletries and cleaning supplies. I do not include eating out or bar tabs in this number as I categorize that as "entertainment". (The entertainment is much more than the groceries! :D )
Van

Post by Van »

As much as I want! It is wonderful to be retired, financially secure and not have to be concerned about such things. To all of you young investors out there: this is what you are striving for.
kybourbon

Post by kybourbon »

hsv_climber wrote:
GRT2BOUTDOORS wrote:Running about $325 a month for a family of 3 - this includes toiletries/cleaning supplies.
I am impressed. How do you manage to do that, especially in NY market? Costco/Sam's only? Or Loss leaders?
+1
"Our favorite holding period is forever" (WB)
midareff

Post by midareff »

I'd say close to $550 a month for food, paper goods, etc, but considering Salmon, Sushi Grade Tuna, Tilapia, Scallops and Shrimp with lots of fresh vegetables and fruits are staples I'd don't feel much need to economize other than sales and coupons which we use. Eat out probably at least one lunch and one dinner a week..... maybe two each. Fine dining maybe once a month on top of that. Thank you Jack.
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

About $130 a week for two,
that includes everything not just food.

To be honest, there is actually "extra" since we don’t want to be down to the last item on everything.
The more expensive the less “extra” there is.:)

Thanks
SP-diceman
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

My wife and I spent for groceries (2 persons) I do not separate out paper goods and toiletries.
2008 $442 a month
2009 $449 a month
2010 $432 a month
2011 $447 a month
So far in 2012, we have spent $425 a month, So our grocery bill has not grown. In 2009 we started doing more lower cost shopping, such as at Aldi Foods stores.

Restaurant spending is a completely another story. There, inflation is higher. I don't think we eat out more.
2008 $191 a month.
2009 $220 a month
2010 $302 a month
2011 $290 a month
2012 $321 a month to date
Jim
Jim
Last edited by Sheepdog on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
newbie_Mo

Post by newbie_Mo »

We spend approximately $700 -800 on groceries for the two of us. This includes all other household products (toilet paper, detergent etc that I estimate to be less than $30/month). We rarely eat out.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

hsv_climber wrote:
We keep a specific list of "must-haves" (meat,chicken,fish,fruits,vegetables,milk). We shop the "circular" - not partial to brand names unless the quality/value outweighs the price, yes, we use "coupons" too, and sparingly use BJ's warehouse club (shopping in there can get out of control if you don't watch it), limit purchases of "junk". Shop at vegetable/fruit markets - much cheaper than mass-market shopping stores and do not shop in NYC (otherwise could easily be a double per month). If the sale is really good and we have the space - we load "up" - that works well for toiletries you know you will be using as long as you eat (hint..hint, lol). Last but not least, go shopping on a full stomach as to not fall victim to "impulse, I'm hungry and I want it NOW purchases". We rarely eat out - no time/patience with young child. We cook,bake,broil or grill - little, if any processed food purchases.

In the summer time, we eat what we grow (all except the grass that is, that I leave for the local animals). Who said Bogleheads don't share? :D
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

1) We shop at Winco, the local low price retailer. (They're cheaper than Walmart or anything else within driving distance)

2) We pay attention to unit prices and buy in bulk where it's cheaper

3) We buy off brand products except for the few cases where that drastically affects taste/quality

4) We buy a half side of beef once of year from a local farmer (it's cheaper than buying it at the supermarket, especially when you consider the cuts we get)

5) We buy extra items when they're on sale and store them for later use

Despite all that the two of us averaged about $865 a month for the last year. That includes everything we buy at the store including toiletries, cleaning products and pet food (2 dogs, 1 cat).

Eating healthy just isn't cheap darn it!

Food inflation has been killer the last few years. We had squeezed a $950/month budget all the way down below $600, but then inflation just kept rising and there just isn't anything else to squeeze.
rr2

Post by rr2 »

About $500 for two per month which includes household cleaning products, paper goods etc. We live in a high cost state (Hawaii), for eg., Milk is $5-6/gallon, eggs are $5/dozen etc. Food costs can be 50% higher than the mainland ==> Paradise tax ;)
boglestan

Post by boglestan »

About 525/mo for 2 adults, a 6 year old, and a 6 month old. Food only -- not including toiletries etc. Located in the Pacific NW.
mr.ajandkj

Post by mr.ajandkj »

We budget $400/month for a family of 6, 2 adults, 4 kids ages 11,6,4,2 months. Sometimes a little over, but that also includes some toiletries, cleaners, etc.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

mr.ajandkj wrote:We budget $400/month for a family of 6, 2 adults, 4 kids ages 11,6,4,2 months. Sometimes a little over, but that also includes some toiletries, cleaners, etc.
Wow! How do you manage to swing that, especially with growing kids?
Clearly_Irrational

GRT2BOUTDOORS wrote:
mr.ajandkj wrote:We budget $400/month for a family of 6, 2 adults, 4 kids ages 11,6,4,2 months. Sometimes a little over, but that also includes some toiletries, cleaners, etc.
Only way I can think of is very frugal shopping and a TON of carbs. Lots of rice, potatoes and pasta will stretch any budget.
Jerilynn

Post by Jerilynn »

According to Quicken, I've spent $333.10 a month over the last 12 months.
Cordially, Jeri . . . 100% all natural asset allocation. (no supernatural methods used)
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I'm single. I spend about seventy-five dollars a week on groceries. Sometimes it approaches one hundred dollars a week. Sometimes it's more like sixty dollars a week. Those figures include things like toiletries, though. Also I very seldom eat out.
Gordon
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

I suspect this thread will be subject to selection bias.... as in... I spend so much more than the numbers listed here that I'm embarrassed to say how much we spend at the grocery store.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

Van wrote:As much as I want! It is wonderful to be retired, financially secure and not have to be concerned about such things. To all of you young investors out there: this is what you are striving for.

We're retired, financially secure and want to stay that way.

We budget $575/mo for two people. That is just for food (does not include eating out, housewares, pet food or cleaning supplies. Trips to Costco are broken out into food and other categories).

We usually spend und that amount except during nov and adec. Then we go over. While we eat well, I do plan meals, "shop" from the pantry and freezer, and use a list when buying food. We live in a fairly HCOLA.
yobria

Post by yobria »

ddunca1944 wrote:
Van wrote:As much as I want! It is wonderful to be retired, financially secure and not have to be concerned about such things. To all of you young investors out there: this is what you are striving for.

We're retired, financially secure and want to stay that way.

We budget $575/mo for two people. That is just for food (does not include eating out, housewares, pet food or cleaning supplies. Trips to Costco are broken out into food and other categories).
That's about what I spend for two people, groceries only. I don't skimp on quality food. Fortunately there are a lot of lower cost options for that in the Bay Area, no Whole Foods required.
mr.ajandkj

Post by mr.ajandkj »

Clearly_Irrational wrote:
GRT2BOUTDOORS wrote:
Only way I can think of is very frugal shopping and a TON of carbs. Lots of rice, potatoes and pasta will stretch any budget.
Actually, we eat a mostly "paleo" diet, so very little in the way of processed carbs, though the kids eat more carbs than the wife and I do. We cook most all our own meals, lots of veggies, a good amount of fruit. Our budget is starting to creep up as the kids are getting older.
Clearly_Irrational

mr.ajandkj wrote:Actually, we eat a mostly "paleo" diet, so very little in the way of processed carbs, though the kids eat more carbs than the wife and I do. We cook most all our own meals, lots of veggies, a good amount of fruit. Our budget is starting to creep up as the kids are getting older.
That's amazing, I'd love to know how you do it! We're pretty careful shoppers and we end up paying nearly double that for less people. We do live in a medium sized metro area but as far as I know Portland, OR isn't super expensive grocery wise compared to other metro areas.
HornedToad

Post by HornedToad »

~$400/mo for 2. Excluding dining out.
soaring

Post by soaring »

I'm not sure if the question has been asked but my grocery bill includes everything for the household including cleaning supplies, toilet paper, shampoo, etc so if that is what is meant...our retired two runs about $600 month. I have tracked this for 10+ years and remove beer and wine bought at the grocery store but everything else is included. We seldom eat out....been there done that.
Desiderata
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

According to the Spend Anlyzer on my Discover card account, we (2) spent $6708 at supermarkets during the last 12 months. Not all food for sure, but most of it was.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Toons

Post by Toons »

bout 350,2 people :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Post by 64415 »

CaliJim wrote:I suspect this thread will be subject to selection bias.... as in... I spend so much more than the numbers listed here that I'm embarrassed to say how much we spend at the grocery store.
Well, someone has to step up to the plate and be the outlier. We have a family of 6 and send $1600 per month. $300 per month goes to Similac hyperalimentum due to a soy and dairy intolerance, (breast milk was insufficient at 6 months).
frequentT

Post by frequentT »

We spend ~$650/month which includes paper goods, supplies and about $60/mo. on costco wine. We eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and fish which seem to be the expensive items. Not much on packaged processed foods except pasta. :D
imagardener

Post by imagardener »

$425/month for everything (2 adults). Rarely eat out because we are retired, I like to cook using top quality organic meat and dairy and fresh seafood. I really thought we spent more because I never price shop (but do buy lots when my favorites are on sale) but spouse just did our annual expense report and was surprised it wasn't more. We do not eat a lot of carbs and follow a modified Paleo diet (high protein-low carb)- dinner is a protein and a salad or vegetable. Seems like the older we get the less we eat so why not eat well.

When shall we live if not now. (Seneca)
Userdc

Post by Userdc »

64415 wrote:Well, someone has to step up to the plate and be the outlier. We have a family of 6 and send $1600 per month. $300 per month goes to Similac hyperalimentum due to a soy and dairy intolerance, (breast milk was insufficient at 6 months).

If it makes you feel better, family of four:

$800/month groceries
$800/month eating out
$300/month lunches for 2 office workers
$400/month for hypoallergenic formula
Last edited by Userdc on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

For 2 people:
$460/mo. at grocery store (includes non-grocery items);
$295/mo. eating at restaurants.
$754/mo. total
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy

Post by 555 »

I have absolutely no idea.
teniralc

Post by teniralc »

$900-1000 per month, family of four (two parents, two children)
BHCadet

Post by BHCadet »

For us as a family of 4 last year, we spent $6,628 on groceries or $552 per month.
And we also spent $5,430 or $452/month for dinning out.
So, it would be $12,058 total or $1,005/month.
However, since our son is away for college, it was actually 3 of us most the time.