Need Input: Windows - Marvin vs Andersen 400 Series...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cheapskate

Need Input: Windows - Marvin vs Andersen 400 Series...

Post by cheapskate »

We are expanding our home. For the living areas, we would like to put in wooden windows. Looking at various brands, we narrowed down our choice to Marvin vs Anderson 400 series. I have the quote for Marvin and I am expecting the quote for the Andersen windows shortly. I don't expect the price difference to be significant, but will have to see. The one thing we do like with Marvin is they offer a "push out" casement. Andersen only offers crank open casements.

Does any one have opinions (good or bad) about either of the above, based on your experience ? Also, does anyone have experiences (good/bad) with the Marvin push out casement windows ?

We looked at other brands - Pella, Eagle Creek, Jeld-Wen but ruled these out for various reasons. My general contractor is partial to Andersen (he says their warranty and customer support is superb), but he isn't helping much with the choice ( he says we can't go wrong with Marvin either :) )

Thanks in advance !
kerplunk

Re: Need Input: Windows - Marvin vs Andersen 400 Series...

Post by kerplunk »

I've heard great things about both. I am partial to Marvin, however, because I grew up in a small town near their headquarters (northern Minnesota). I don't think you can go wrong either way.
newprestonpete

Post by newprestonpete »

I have been working in residential construction since 1986. I have used many brands of windows during that time. I have found both Marvin and Anderson to be the best in terms of options and quality. I agree with your contractor. You can't go wrong with either brand.
I am not familiar with the push-out casements.
cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 »

My only frame of reference is the 40 year old original windows in my house which are Anderson crank-out casement windows. We don't like them because of the difficulties with the crank outs, but that could be because of their age. I will say; however, that replacing the entire crank out casement window was not that difficult as my father-in-law and I were able to do it in an afternoon of fumbling around.

I think my experience has soured my taste for crank-out windows in general so I am probably not much help either way.

Consumer Reports rates the Anderson 400 Series, Marvin Clad Ultimate, and Marvin Wood Ultrex Integrity nearly the same, although the Anderson is Recommended while the others are not.
Sent from my iphone
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

Had all windows in house (none casement) replaced about 18 months ago with Andersen Renewal. The composite materal offers the best of wood and vinyl. They are very attractive from inside and outside. Very expensive. Installation and customer support are tops. Best home improvement we ever did.
Topic Author
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

Thank you all for the inputs !

The info I have today (still waiting for the detailed quote) is that the Marvin's are about 35% more expensive than the A400 for windows and 50% more expensive on doors. That might swing our choice in favor the Andersen - or we might go with a mix of both.
Topic Author
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

cjackson0 wrote:My only frame of reference is the 40 year old original windows in my house which are Anderson crank-out casement windows. We don't like them because of the difficulties with the crank outs, but that could be because of their age. I will say; however, that replacing the entire crank out casement window was not that difficult as my father-in-law and I were able to do it in an afternoon of fumbling around.

I think my experience has soured my taste for crank-out windows in general so I am probably not much help either way.

Consumer Reports rates the Anderson 400 Series, Marvin Clad Ultimate, and Marvin Wood Ultrex Integrity nearly the same, although the Anderson is Recommended while the others are not.
I have a similar distaste for crank open windows based on my experience (in our rental home) with the 40-50 year aluminum windows with the cranking mechanism. Fortunately this technology seems to have improved significantly. The crank open casement windows I see in the showroom (Andersen) are quite nice - no comparison to the 40+ year old stuff I have at my rental home. I am almost cured of my distaste for crank open windows.
fx24

Post by fx24 »

Marvin doors great... windows not so much. I just paid $10,000 to have several Marvin windows replaced. They were installed in late '98.... 14 years old. I experienced several rotted sashes and water inflitration. I have pics of the severe damage. I was very disappointed. I recalling paying up for Marvin. Many friends and family have much older Anderson windows that are still fine. My failed windows were their "case master" line... aluminum clad exterior with bare/primed wood interiors. The extra wide 1-1/8" grills have proved very brittle and cumbersome. Many of mine have been glued back together.

Overall: I would not again select Marvin windows.
Topic Author
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

Thanks for all the replies.

Just to close the loop, we decided to go with the Andersen 400 series. Marvin was almost exactly 50% higher in price compared to the Andersen 400, and we figured there are plenty of other areas in our remodel that we could spend the difference on.

After looking closely at the A400 windows and doors, pretty happy overall with our choice.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Either Or,work with pricing :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

All the windows in our house have been replaced by either Anderson Renewals or Sunrise.

I greatly, greatly, greatly prefer the Sunrise windows in all aspect. They are more attractive (I find the Renewals to look very clunky and bulky), the Sunrise windows are easier to operate, they are better at insulating (based on just feeling the windows and area around them), and they were slightly cheaper.

My house is 100 years old and has over 30 windows in it. We are contemplating replacing one of the Anderson Renewals in our bathroom with a Sunrise window just because I can't stand how shoddy the Anderson window looks in there... something about this one seems to have held up much worse than the others.

We also had two windows that were so big that neither Anderson nor Pella made a replacement double-hung large enough (this was 2005). Sunrise did and they are my favorite windows in the house. Gorgeous. Sunrise also measures and manufacturers to the 1/8", both Anderson and Pella were to the 1/4". I think that is part of the reason their windows operate so much better.

www.sunrisewindows.com/
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.