Where do we bogleheads Splurge?!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: Where do we bogleheads Splurge?!

Post by VictoriaF »

epilnk wrote:Travel. Definitely travel. We're embracing the philosophy of buying experiences, not things...
A complement to buying desired experiences is buying one's way out of undesired ones. I try to do both.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

semperlux wrote:
The Wizard wrote:Gotcha beat there, John: roughly 3000 sf (& 5 bedrooms) just for myself...
Just curious, do you use all the space? Or mainly have it just in case you get lots of guests visiting? Wife & I currently live in 2000 sf and we don't even use half the house. How do you keep heating / cooling costs down? We close the doors & vents to all the rooms we don't use so we're not heating / cooling those parts of the house.
There was a time when i was married with two kids, but they grew up and left, etc.
I've a buy&hold approach to more than mutual funds, it would seem.
So for me, it's not really a splurge, just more of a status quo.
I do have two wood stoves and get my wood for free, so to speak...
Attempted new signature...
anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker »

charitable donations.
travellight

Post by travellight »

lol, livesoft..... perfect response.
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

The hound dogs. They get whatever their slaphappy hearts desire. In fact, according to the household expenses spreadsheet, last year I spent nearly twice as much on Goughnuts and big fuzzy fur footballs as I did on shoes, socks, shoelaces, haircuts, Kleenex, and other personal care expenses for both myself and the rest of the family. :D
jimcrawford01

Post by jimcrawford01 »

Airplane and Motorcycle.

Otherwise, I am a true BogleHead. That is how I can participate in the Airplane and Motorcycle activities.
mclvngr

Post by mclvngr »

The $5,000 watch, of course!
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

International travel. My wife and I were bitten by the travel bug while studying abroad in college and never recovered. It has been worth every penny. I don't mind having an old car.

My wife's aunt and uncle hardly traveled at all with plans to see the world when they retired, but unfortunately her uncle fell ill just before retirement and passed away not to long after that. We are doing our traveling now.

Also got a conical burr grinder for my coffee :D
leod

Post by leod »

mclvngr wrote:The $5,000 watch, of course!
don't turn this into a 12 page thread :D

Vacation travels is what we splurge on. International being the biggest hit in my bank account :annoyed
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Our biggest splurge these days is our spending on climbing. (The gym memberships aren't cheap, and there's some necessary gear that goes with it.) But, it's good exercise and we're having fun with it. :)
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
leo383

Post by leo383 »

Bass Guitars.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Vacations. We do shop around for price, but make up on volume. :D

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

I spend $1100 a year for 2 roller hockey games a week when I could be playing for free in outdoor pickup...
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Travel. Probably spend 10% of our gross on trips.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I did go to the movies yesterday afternoon. It was a matinee, though.
Gordon
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

Travel. I am going to be out of town 8 out of the next 10 weekends.

Eating out. About 3-4 times a week.
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

VictoriaF wrote:
epilnk wrote:Travel. Definitely travel. We're embracing the philosophy of buying experiences, not things...
A complement to buying desired experiences is buying one's way out of undesired ones. I try to do both.

Victoria
Ah yes. Known in our family as "throw money at the problem to make it go away".
LearningToSpend

Post by LearningToSpend »

Very expensive clothing.
Highly depreciated luxury cars.

If you're going to be a miser, at least look good doing it!
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
A brilliant reply.

I think of all the times I've taken a cab to a Sheraton after relatives booked me into a bedbug motel with drunks in all surrounding rooms and 14-wheelers rumbling outside the window all night.

I think of the occasional hospital private room which has spared me from the snoring, moans, obnoxious relative visits and incessant TV of a roommate after waking from major surgery.

In every instance I'm accused of being a spendthrift after buying myself out of those awful situations. So be it. It's what money's for.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

I splurge on my retirement fund. Wow, just landed in a neat pension plan. It's like the G fund we hear about from the TSP folks, and then upon retirement it turns into an awesome COLA'd annuity for life; but I think at about 9/10th the cost of a SPIA. Oh, also used my own gas and car to take a friend grocery shopping (cool place with about 20 different kinds of fresh fish), and then bought her ice-cream.
interplanetjanet wrote:I'm slowly being convinced of the merits of Japanese-style heated toilet seats. Especially on cold mornings. I might have to splurge...
Just get yourself a styrofoam ring--works well to below freezing temperatures with the added benefits of softness, and not freezing to the seat. -- Tet
TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex »

Alcohol
LH

Post by LH »

travel.

eating out at applebees level restaurants about 10 times a week.
prudent

Post by prudent »

About to splurge on a head unit for a new-to-me (in other words, used) car. Got a great deal on the car and knowing we'll have it for at least 6-7 years I'm going to put an Advent OGM-1 in it. In-dash nav, bluetooth, streaming audio, plays video, completely integrated with the factory steering wheel controls, OnStar and backup sensors.
Exuberent

Post by Exuberent »

Travel with my wife.
Thoroughbred race horses (50% lease in one, 50% and 25% ownership respectively in two others). Gets me up and out in the morning to help out at the racing yard and last October at the ripe age of 50 and change I got to ride a thoroughbred at the training grounds in company with some other thoroughbreds and their riders out for morning work. I was like a kid in a candy shop. And I do know the saying - want to make a small fortune in racing? - start with a big fortune.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

deleted
Last edited by VictoriaF on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Juniormint

Post by Juniormint »

Concerts. Concerts and food probably. I don't eat out often, but when I do eat out, I don't skimp.
momar

Post by momar »

I just bought an olympic bar and some bumper plates for my garage.

Of course, I don't know if I count it as splurging. The ROI from quitting my gym is huge.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Vegas trips and guns.

Las Vegas trips we hire a limo to drag us from the airport & back ( I guess the limo is our way of buying our way out of the undesirable experience of getting long-hauled in a grungy cab); and we usually stay in the nicer places in town. This year it will be a mix of the Wynn Resort for a few days followed up with a stay at the Mandarin Oriental to check that place out.

Guns - got a Seecamp 32 being delivered next week that I ordered back in February. Already have the custom made carbon fiber grips for it. Man, that's gonna be a sweet little pocket gun.
HongKonger

Post by HongKonger »

Bubbles and taking taxis. Life is too short.
C319

Post by C319 »

Paid off the mortgage a few months ago. Don't know if it counts as a real splurge, but sure felt like one when I wrote the check.
No regrets.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

C319 wrote:Paid off the mortgage a few months ago. Don't know if it counts as a real splurge, but sure felt like one when I wrote the check.
No regrets.

When I paid off our mortgage 15 years ago, I thought is was a splurge. It was also one of the best financial decisions that I have ever made.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Dadarkar

Post by Dadarkar »

Cable
Three i phones
don1066

Post by don1066 »

Stonebr wrote:Early retirement.
Couldnt agree more!
wingnutty

Post by wingnutty »

Hunting and fishing for sure...just spent $500 traveling out of state to hunt turkeys. I don't use a guide or outfitter as I prefer to do things myself. Ended up bringing home two nice gobblers and getting ready to put um in the smoker...those are some expensive turkeys, but I did get plenty of exercise hiking up and down mountains from sunrise to sunset 4 days in a row and logging ~15 miles per day. :beer

Nothing like sitting in the woods in the morning as the sun comes up and watching everything come alive, that is something everyone should experience from time to time. Heck, even had a chickadee land on the barrel of my gun while I sat motionless enjoying the beautiful morning, that isn't something you get to see everyday :sharebeer
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

U.S. Citizenship - $680 !!
ltuxl

Post by ltuxl »

Scotch/Wine
- Mr. Tux
BigD53

Post by BigD53 »

Annual Expenditures

-Country Club Membership Dues and other golf expenditures- $3,800
-Massages- $500
-Other "beauty" or "relaxing" services- $1,500
-Fine Dining- $1,500
-House cleaning- $1,600
-Eating lunch out during work week- $2,300
-Brand label clothing, jewelry, etc- $2,500

Holy cow! I must live in the wrong Zipcode!! :( Are all "Bogleheads" that rich??? :moneybag (Gee, and all this time, I thought they were a bunch of cheap dudes... :D)

I can't think of one thing that I "splurge" on, other than the occasional Green Tea Latte' at Starbucks. :happy I was never into "self gratification"... I'd rather donate any extra cash I happen to have, to charities, the homeless, Veteran's groups, and people in need.

Forget "I Don't Know, and I Don't Care." The NEW Boglehead's motto should be: "If You Got It, SPEND IT!" :beer
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

1) Girlfriend
2) Travel
3) Pool guy
4) Yard guy

In that order.
Chaol

Post by Chaol »

Renting in San Francisco