Experience with street address and PO Box?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dm200

Experience with street address and PO Box?

Post by dm200 »

A new service of the Post Office, for those with PO Boxes, is using the street address of the Post Office for deliveries that must go to a "street address", such as UPS, FedEx. If it works as advertised, that will be very helpful for me in being the primary person managing an organization. Currently, for such deliveries, I must use my home address, which is not the best solution.

Does anyone have any experience using this new service?
DetroitRed

Re: Experience with street address and PO Box?

Post by DetroitRed »

In the past I've rented a mail box from a UPS Store. It had a street address and I never had any problems receiving deliveries there.
rdgamblr

Post by rdgamblr »

dm200- I wish I had some insight as a postal carrier I would like to think they would have informed us of this service. It may be a test market for just your area. I wouldn't think there would be any hiccups in this as all the major delivery companies deliver to the local postal locations daily as we deliver a great quantity of their small parcels for them.

The biggest issue I would see would be, depending on your location, the time spent waiting in lines to pick up your package at the counter. With PO box customers there is the option of the parcels lockers although I wouldn't know if there would be adequate space for an increase in packages.

Let us know if you have the opportunity to use the service and also how it works for you. BTW please say there isn't a charge for this "service"
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

rdgamblr wrote:dm200- I wish I had some insight as a postal carrier I would like to think they would have informed us of this service. It may be a test market for just your area. I wouldn't think there would be any hiccups in this as all the major delivery companies deliver to the local postal locations daily as we deliver a great quantity of their small parcels for them.

The biggest issue I would see would be, depending on your location, the time spent waiting in lines to pick up your package at the counter. With PO box customers there is the option of the parcels lockers although I wouldn't know if there would be adequate space for an increase in packages.

Let us know if you have the opportunity to use the service and also how it works for you. BTW please say there isn't a charge for this "service"
We were (sort of) notified of this service when we received the bill for the PO Box. The Postal Service justified an increase in the Box rent because of these new services. One was the street delivery feature, another was a signature waiver (not sure what that is) and an email/phone notification option (I did not take this) when there were certain types of received mail. The street address option works like this. Suppose your PO Box mailing address is: P O Box 12345, Springfield VA 22151. Suppose that the post office street address is 789 Main St, Springfield VA 22151. Say you want UPS or FedEx to ship a letter/package. You give the shipping address as: 789 Main St #12345, Springfield VA 22151. That post office will receive these deliveries (as long as they are things the post office can receive (such as under a certain weight, no wine, and so on). They (the post office) says no added charge (just a higher annual fee for the box rent)
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

I have had a PO box for years. A few weeks ago I bought something from Amazon and it refused to accept a PO box so I used my street address hoping it'd be delivered to my house. Now the PO told me they forward mail from the street address to the PO box for only 1 year but occasionally I still receive mail in my PO box for the old street address. The Amazon delivery went to the PO box. UPS shipped items also go to the PO box. That may be how it works here, YYMV.
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

zaplunken wrote:I have had a PO box for years. A few weeks ago I bought something from Amazon and it refused to accept a PO box so I used my street address hoping it'd be delivered to my house. Now the PO told me they forward mail from the street address to the PO box for only 1 year but occasionally I still receive mail in my PO box for the old street address. The Amazon delivery went to the PO box. UPS shipped items also go to the PO box. That may be how it works here, YYMV.
For this Post Office service, you must specifically sign up. You can not just use the normal PO Box address for "street address" deliveries, but must use the street address of the post office followed by #nnnn, where nnnn is your PO Box number.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

dm200 wrote:A new service of the Post Office, for those with PO Boxes, is using the street address of the Post Office for deliveries that must go to a "street address", such as UPS, FedEx. If it works as advertised, that will be very helpful for me in being the primary person managing an organization. Currently, for such deliveries, I must use my home address, which is not the best solution.

Does anyone have any experience using this new service?
Hi,
This sounds good. I am going to ask about it tomorrow at my Post Office.
Best Wishes, | Joe
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

Interesting replys above. We also must us a PO Box as we have no home delivery. The folks at the Post Office told us that for outfits that don't ship to a PO box, put down:

123 Memory Lane X4567
Anytown, ST

Where X4567 is your PO Box.

Maybe it's a regional thing.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
Topic Author
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I just received several UPS packages at the post office. The first one was great - because it was addressed EXACTLY as the post office requires. The second one said STE nnnn (where nnnn) is our box number. The post office called me and said they normally would send this back or not accept it, but made an exception. It is, unfortunately, a common problem to get orders send EXACTLY as requested. These two boxes were from the same order and fulfilled by two separate companies.