Notebook vs. Tablet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Notebook vs. Tablet

Post by Barefootgirl »

I current have a smartphone and laptop - that's it.

I am not crazy about using the small smartphone screen for many of the applications and the laptop is a bit
cumbersome to carry in the purse - which brings me to a third option - a notebook or tablet and I would like some
recommendations.

I would be using it in bed at night to read or carry to airports, waiting rooms, etc.

These would be my uses for the device:

- surfing websites
- watching movies
- checking and sending email
- downloading articles online for later reading (or worst case scenario: sending them to myself via email to later read via email attachment)
- reading books I buy from anywhere - not just Amazon OR Barnes and Noble
- watching YouTube Videos
- possibly storing an iTunes library? (not a big deal, it currently resides on my laptop and backup storage)

Thank you!! BFG

-
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
Allan

Re: Notebook vs. Tablet

Post by Allan »

BFG:

I am pretty sure everything you want this device to do can be done on an iPad. For ease of carry and use you can't beat it, I would suggest you take a hard look at one of these. I think iPad 3 might be coming out in a week or so, but don't quote me on that.

Allan
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

I think you mean netbook rather than notebook, a notebook is just another term for laptop. I would say a tablet is better to fit in purse. I am considering an ultra lite laptop for my next portable PC. They use solid state drives and are generally more powerful than netbooks and have good battery life. The prices should get better the longer you wait. Tablets come in 7" and 10". The 7" is similar to many phones. Folks that buy 10" iPads seem happy. My son likes his. Could still be put in a purse.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
chaz

Post by chaz »

Allan wrote:BFG:

I am pretty sure everything you want this device to do can be done on an iPad. For ease of carry and use you can't beat it, I would suggest you take a hard look at one of these. I think iPad 3 might be coming out in a week or so, but don't quote me on that.

Allan
iPad2 price drops now.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

Just purchased a Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus 7.0. Nice...the 7 inch device with great resolution video is just what I need....easier to type and read then my smartphone and lighter and less size than a notebook.

Look around, they just reduced the price on this model.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Similar me. My Droid X2 is fine for reading many websites but less fine for typing replies, as Im doing now.
Some tablets wont have 3g/4g capability, so have to factor that in...
Attempted new signature...
saied45

Post by saied45 »

im a pdf guy. i have lots of pdfs and i love reading it on a tablet. i chose not to get a notebook because of the whole easier reading with a tablet. the transformer prime is an awesome tablet with an atachable keyboard for an extra cost. look into it
GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR »

Friend of mine just got a samsung note (5.3 inch screen) . It's the best of both. I have a tablet as well as a phone and love it. Great for surfing the web while on the couch.

I will say this though, do some research into windows 8. It'll be shipping on tablets later this year and unless you HAVE to have something now, I'd save my money until it launches.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Why not do both? You can get tablets with keyboard docks. When you want to be portable, just carry the tablet around. When you need to do more writing (like a long email), dock it to the keyboard dock.

The most seamless keyboard dock for the tablet is the Asus Transformer line of tablets. Those docks basically turn the tablet into in notebook (locks on so you can carry the whole thing together). There are some issues with GPS in the Transformer Prime and of course it's WiFi only, but those are the primary downsides.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Barefootgirl wrote:I would be using it in bed at night to read or carry to airports, waiting rooms, etc.

These would be my uses for the device:

- surfing websites
- watching movies
- checking and sending email
- downloading articles online for later reading (or worst case scenario: sending them to myself via email to later read via email attachment)
- reading books I buy from anywhere - not just Amazon OR Barnes and Noble
- watching YouTube Videos
- possibly storing an iTunes library? (not a big deal, it currently resides on my laptop and backup storage)
If all you require something along the lines of a smartphone albeit with a much bigger screen, then an iPad or Android tablet would probably fit your bill. But if you are looking for something with PC like functionality then I would suggest looking at a Windows slate PC. I have an iPad and it works fine for all the things you mention, but it is limited e.g. no Adobe flash, no full featured web browsers (e.g. Firefox, IE, Chrome), no full featured email clients (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird). I use it mostly as an entertainment device. It has a fantastic battery life and is great for what it is, basically an iPhone minus the phone and with a big screen. For more work related usage I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate PC. It's a full blown Windows 7 laptop minus the keyboard. I can run everything that will run on Windows 7 without limitation, in a form factor only slightly larger than the iPad. However the battery life is about half the iPad's and the Windows interface is a bit clunky without a keyboard (it has a digitizer pen and capacitive touchscreen). It can also do everything in your list with room to spare.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Toons

Post by Toons »

My Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Galaxy tablet does all those tasks that you want to be able to do.
Has Flash capability.
Superb screen resolution,lightweight

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite ... index.html
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
ElJay

Post by ElJay »

If you're comfortable with the 7" form factor, I would highly recommend the Blackberry Playbook. The 16GB model's $200 cost is incredibly competitive now. Another $50 will give you twice as much space for movies and music. It's got a great web browser. Books would be the only thing I'm not quite sure of. I usually buy books from Kobo and use their app on the Playbook to read them. There is an app named Book Reader that does a good job with (DRM-free) EPUB book files, but I'm not familiar what format B&N and Amazon sell their books in.
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

Depending on the size of your purse, 10" tablets (iPads) might be too big. 5" to 8" options would fit in more purse styles.
magellan

Post by magellan »

IMO, there's no comparison between the heft of a laptop vs a 10" tablet. I got a Toshiba Thrive last year and it's on the bulky side compared to other 10" tablets. Still, it's a world apart form a laptop and I find myself taking the tablet instead of the laptop on most trips where I think I'll need to check email or have some time to kill on the web. Tablets are really a great form factor, and for my slightly older eyes, 10" seems to be the sweet spot.

What's strange is that I got the tablet a couple months after I got a new smartphone and was wondering if the two would be redundant. Now, I find myself bringing the smartphone only for its wifi hotspot app that lets the tablet get internet access on the go from the smartphone's cellular data connection. In other words, I almost never use the smart phone features of my smart phone, but I use the tablet a ton and feel it's well worth it.

Jim
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Toons wrote:My Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Galaxy tablet does all those tasks that you want to be able to do.
Has Flash capability.
Superb screen resolution,lightweight

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite ... index.html

Just got one of these this week, been wating for a price drop at Costco. $380 I think it was with a case. The thing is very darn neat from a someone who is 40+ anyway. Have a few apple products and at this point I loving the Android platform.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
jaxxmjd

Post by jaxxmjd »

Asus Transformer (original, Prime, or one of the upcoming models).

This is capable of doing everything you listed and can be used as either a netbook (with the keyboard dock) or separately as just a tablet depending on your mood. The dock also contains a second battery, which greatly increases the battery life of the product on a single charge, as well as USB and SD card ports. I could not be happier with my Transformer. It could very well be my best gadget purchase ever and I am a man of many gadgets.

When deciding upon either iPad or Android tablets (if you do decide to buy a tablet), please do not fall into the classic trap that many of the posters here have illustrated of believing that there is only one viable option. There are already far too many technologically uneducated people who could use a good awakening.
Last edited by jaxxmjd on Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

Get a tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard. Typing on a screen is not particularly fun. Make sure you can tether it with your phone so you can get Internet everywhere. If you have a home computer on, you can always remote back into it using something Splashtop to get whatever you need back home.
ualdriver

Post by ualdriver »

I travel a lot and switched to a tablet. A transformer with the keyboard dock would be a good compromise between a notebook and a tablet as stated above.

If you go the Asus Transformer route, just be aware that the TF201 ($499 16gb) currently has widely reported problems with both wifi and GPS functionality. If you want a Transformer, you could go with the TF101 which has a less powerful processor and is an older model, or wait for the TF701 which will be out in the next few/several months with a higher resolution screen and a $100 price increase over the TF201.

I have owned both Android and Apple tablets and personally I am sticking with Android. If you like to visit websites that use Flash, like many news sites and such, the videos won't play on an iPad which to me is really annoying. Further, transferring files between the iPad and one's computer is a PITA. With Android, it is just drag and drop just like a USB drive. Android is more customizable with live wallpaper and widgets as well. But Apple has more apps and is less "quirky." I don't know.....it's pretty subjective I guess.

Hope that helps.....
saied45

Post by saied45 »

jhuang0 wrote:Get a tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard. Typing on a screen is not particularly fun. Make sure you can tether it with your phone so you can get Internet everywhere. If you have a home computer on, you can always remote back into it using something Splashtop to get whatever you need back home.
maybe on an ipad because you can not chose many different keyboards. one of the best keyboard for android on a tablet is the swype. its so intuitive and it finishes your sentences for you(its like magic)
saied45

Post by saied45 »

greg24

Post by greg24 »

Allan wrote: I think iPad 3 might be coming out in a week or so, but don't quote me on that.
On Tuesday or Wednesday, Apple will announce when the 3 is being released.

iPad 2 prices are dropping and will continue to drop. We have an aging Dell mini and we are talking about buying an iPad 2.
V572625694

Post by V572625694 »

jhuang0 wrote:Get a tablet with a Bluetooth keyboard. Typing on a screen is not particularly fun. Make sure you can tether it with your phone so you can get Internet everywhere. If you have a home computer on, you can always remote back into it using something Splashtop to get whatever you need back home.
I find the iPad screen really frustrating to use for typing. It takes three keystrokes to get to the underscore character, two to make an apostrophe, and you can't really touch-type at all.

Here's another quirk: in iPad-land, things that are Websites on a Windows device are characterized as "applications"— and sometimes cost money. For instance, I like to watch "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" the next day on a computer. It's free on PC, but to watch on the iPad you have to buy applications. The Vanguard iPad app is free but seems less flexible than the browser-based Website.
norookie

Post by norookie »

:happy Not wanting to re-iterate my OP below, but AFAIK, one needs a Notebook first to keep your Ipad, and notebook synced. Maybe I got sales snookered, but I'm still going to APPLE lessons so I might be wrong. Nor am I advocating only their products. Good Luck! :moneybag
Last edited by norookie on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
ualdriver

Post by ualdriver »

V572625694 wrote:
jhuang0 wrote:
Here's another quirk: in iPad-land, things that are Websites on a Windows device are characterized as "applications"— and sometimes cost money. For instance, I like to watch "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" the next day on a computer. It's free on PC, but to watch on the iPad you have to buy applications. The Vanguard iPad app is free but seems less flexible than the browser-based Website.
It's probably because those websites use Flash so you need a special app to view them on the iPad. I just went to the Colbert site on my Android tablet and it played fine.
jaxxmjd

Post by jaxxmjd »

norookie wrote::happy IPad 2 w/3G., ios5
Besides the narrow thinking I mentioned previously, why exactly would a consumer who has a smartphone want to purchase a tablet with 3G? I know I sure don't want to pay twice for the same service. Tethering your tablet to your smartphone is pure win, particularly for someone who travels a lot. And hey, with a Transformer (or really any tablet with USB ports), you can keep your smartphone fully charged while it's providing the tether. This is key when you don't have a lot of opportunities to charge or if you're somewhere where finding an open outlet can be difficult (as is often the case when traveling).
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

You may also want to consider some of the smaller ultrabooks (13.3 inch and smaller).
interplanetjanet

Post by interplanetjanet »

V572625694 wrote:I find the iPad screen really frustrating to use for typing. It takes three keystrokes to get to the underscore character, two to make an apostrophe, and you can't really touch-type at all.
I agree and for me, the tablet/laptop distinction is most noticeable when it comes to content consumption vs creation.

Tablets are great for consuming content - playing videos, browsing the web, reading emails and the like. It's an easy and natural gesture to hand one to someone, or turn it around to face them, battery life tends to be good and so does portability. On the other hand, if I want to write emails or produce content then a physical keyboard makes quite a large difference.

For fitting in a purse, one new piece of hardware (for the USA, anyway) I find interesting is the Sony "Tablet P" - it has two 5.5" displays and unfolds in a clamshell configuration like my old Nokia Communicator. The folded size is comparable to a largeish glasses case, the screens are protected while it's folded and it's had favorable reviews. It's a bit larger than what I'd normally consider "pocketable" but it's very definitely "purseable", and available either with a 3G connection contract (AT&T) or unsubsidized. I'm seriously thinking of getting one later this year if nothing comes out in the 5-7" screen range with a physical keyboard (hey, I can dream...) - probably used, computing devices like this freqently end up with relatively low resale prices on places like eBay once a few months has passed since release.

-janet
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

saied45 wrote:
maybe on an ipad because you can not chose many different keyboards. one of the best keyboard for android on a tablet is the swype. its so intuitive and it finishes your sentences for you(its like magic)
I use swype for my phone, but I'm not sure about how much more efficient it would be for a large on screen keyboard.

As for tapping the on screen keyboard, I've seen some articles indicating it's not good for your joints. Unlike a traditional keyboard with give when you type, you are effectively tapping a wall with an on screen keyboard. I imagine this only occurs at the extreme, but only you know how much typing you would do.
Radnog

Post by Radnog »

Treat yourself to an iPad3, you won't regret it.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

I'm still holding out for the iPad mini. Macrumors.com says there are some unsubstantiated rumors that one might come out in summer. Of course, the iPhone 5 was supposed to come out last year, and we all know that didn't happen!

I have the Kindle Fire, but while it is adequate for reading books (although I preferred my old Kindle), and you can stream Amazon videos pretty well, it blows for most everything else. The regular sized iPad is just too big to fit into my handbag, though. And if I got a bigger handbag just for the iPad, well, once you get a giant bag for whatever reason, you pretty soon end up filling it with other junk and then it becomes a monstrous weight to lug around.

I've played with an Asus Transformer - intriguing idea, but very heavy, and a bit clunky too. I've thought about a Samsung Galaxy 7.0 or 7.7. Or maybe even an 8.9. But I can't really figure my way around the Samsung website to easily compare the differences. I guess I'm just not inspired enough to look hard enough.

Edit: there's always the 11" macbook Air.
Last edited by englishgirl on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sarah
Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel »

saied45 wrote:this tablet on sale right now. http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/samsung-g ... 37297.aspx
Given that we all believe in efficient markets, there's probably a reason for that.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Do you have Amazon Prime? If so, I would totally recommend Kindle Fire. Free movies and TV shows for Prime users.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

I own and use a laptop, desktop, iPad, and iPhone. They all have their uses.

Bottom line?

If your primary use is the consumption of material produced by others (web browsing, movies, music, ebooks, checking email, etc.) then the iPad is the superior tool.

If your primary use is producing your own material (text documents, spreadsheets, photo editing, film editing, etc.) then the traditional PC platform is superior. Tablets are just not nearly as good at serious word processing and spreadsheet work. And they don't have the memory or power to do serious video or photo editing.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

What you want is the phablet. Big enough for your apps. Small enough for you purse. 5.3" of screensize goodness that means you have to wear a headset while talking or risk looking like an idiot.
interplanetjanet

mmmodem wrote:What you want is the phablet. Big enough for your apps. Small enough for you purse. 5.3" of screensize goodness that means you have to wear a headset while talking or risk looking like an idiot.
Downside is that since it's a phone, carriers tend to want more money for it monthly (and dislike data-only plans).

I don't think that I look like an idiot talking on my 5" Dell Streak. It's a lot smaller than the Nokia Communicator I used to carry, and actually smaller in length and thickness than my home cordless phone (the Galaxy Note is similar in size). Then again, I carry around a 5" palmtop with a built in keyboard along with it...

-janet
magellan

Post by magellan »

texasdiver wrote:If your primary use is the consumption of material produced by others (web browsing, movies, music, ebooks, checking email, etc.) then the iPad is the superior tool.

If your primary use is producing your own material (text documents, spreadsheets, photo editing, film editing, etc.) then the traditional PC platform is superior.
I generally agree with this when I'm on the go.

However when I'm home, I always choose my laptop over my tablet, when both are available. Even when I'm out on the porch or the yard, I prefer the laptop to the tablet. The laptop has a 15" display and the extra screen space is nicer than the smaller (though still very usable) display of a 10" tablet.

Interestingly, I have a docking station with a giant 40" display and I hardly ever use that, except for photo processing. So my sweet spot is between 10" and 40" for display size :)

Jim
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

smackboy1 wrote:If all you require something along the lines of a smartphone albeit with a much bigger screen, then an iPad or Android tablet would probably fit your bill. But if you are looking for something with PC like functionality then I would suggest looking at a Windows slate PC. I have an iPad and it works fine for all the things you mention, but it is limited e.g. no Adobe flash, no full featured web browsers (e.g. Firefox, IE, Chrome), no full featured email clients (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird). I use it mostly as an entertainment device. It has a fantastic battery life and is great for what it is, basically an iPhone minus the phone and with a big screen. For more work related usage I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate PC. It's a full blown Windows 7 laptop minus the keyboard. I can run everything that will run on Windows 7 without limitation, in a form factor only slightly larger than the iPad. However the battery life is about half the iPad's and the Windows interface is a bit clunky without a keyboard (it has a digitizer pen and capacitive touchscreen). It can also do everything in your list with room to spare.
Can a Windows slate PC be used with an attachable keyboard (perhaps, attachable via Bluetooth)?
Do Windows slate PCs have a DVD drive? If not, can an external DVD drive be attached to them?

Thank you,
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

MossySF wrote:Depending on the size of your purse, 10" tablets (iPads) might be too big. 5" to 8" options would fit in more purse styles.
Would not it be easier to buy a bigger purse?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

magellan wrote:IMO, there's no comparison between the heft of a laptop vs a 10" tablet. I got a Toshiba Thrive last year and it's on the bulky side compared to other 10" tablets. Still, it's a world apart form a laptop and I find myself taking the tablet instead of the laptop on most trips where I think I'll need to check email or have some time to kill on the web. Tablets are really a great form factor, and for my slightly older eyes, 10" seems to be the sweet spot.

What's strange is that I got the tablet a couple months after I got a new smartphone and was wondering if the two would be redundant. Now, I find myself bringing the smartphone only for its wifi hotspot app that lets the tablet get internet access on the go from the smartphone's cellular data connection. In other words, I almost never use the smart phone features of my smart phone, but I use the tablet a ton and feel it's well worth it.

Jim
Is it required or desirable to have a tablet and a smart phone with the same type of software, i.e., either both should be Apple or both should be Android? Or mixing and matching works well?

Thank you,

Victoria
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

VictoriaF wrote:
MossySF wrote:Depending on the size of your purse, 10" tablets (iPads) might be too big. 5" to 8" options would fit in more purse styles.
Would not it be easier to buy a bigger purse?
My wife has about 15 different purses .... most of them cheap but there are a few expensive ones. Some are big, some are small. For her and probably many other women, the outfit matters so if it's a matter of bringing a 10" iPad or the matching purse, she'll take the matching purse. Guys can put a tablet in a backpack or a small messenger bag and not be duplicating an extra bag.

In any case, I picked a 7" android tablet for myself because the less bulk (size not weight) let's me bring it with me everywhere.
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

VictoriaF wrote:
magellan wrote:IMO, there's no comparison between the heft of a laptop vs a 10" tablet. I got a Toshiba Thrive last year and it's on the bulky side compared to other 10" tablets. Still, it's a world apart form a laptop and I find myself taking the tablet instead of the laptop on most trips where I think I'll need to check email or have some time to kill on the web. Tablets are really a great form factor, and for my slightly older eyes, 10" seems to be the sweet spot.

Jim
Is it required or desirable to have a tablet and a smart phone with the same type of software, i.e., either both should be Apple or both should be Android? Or mixing and matching works well?

Thank you,

Victoria
With data and applications moving onto the always present 'online' cloud, I would say you can mix and match and still come away with a pretty good experience. Apple, the very best at the user experience, will definitely give you a more connected feeling with less hassle and setup if you use only their products. The same experience can be achieved with other products, but it will require more effort to setup. As a Microsoft developer, I prefer the non-Apple experience. To the layman (and this includes my own mother), I tell them to spend a little more and get the Apple product. I do this partially out of self-interest: I never have to 'fix' these people's Apple products.
magellan

Post by magellan »

VictoriaF wrote:Is it required or desirable to have a tablet and a smart phone with the same type of software, i.e., either both should be Apple or both should be Android? Or mixing and matching works well?
For me it wouldn't matter as long as the smartphone offers a generic wireless hotspot feature and both the phone and tablet have decent apps for gmail and google reader. There are great apps for these for Android, but my guess is that ipad has these covered too.

Jim
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

interplanetjanet wrote:
mmmodem wrote:What you want is the phablet. Big enough for your apps. Small enough for you purse. 5.3" of screensize goodness that means you have to wear a headset while talking or risk looking like an idiot.
Downside is that since it's a phone, carriers tend to want more money for it monthly (and dislike data-only plans).

I don't think that I look like an idiot talking on my 5" Dell Streak. It's a lot smaller than the Nokia Communicator I used to carry, and actually smaller in length and thickness than my home cordless phone (the Galaxy Note is similar in size). Then again, I carry around a 5" palmtop with a built in keyboard along with it...

-janet
OP said she already has a smart phone so monthly costs would be replaced by the phablet. Perhaps idiot is too strong of a word. Silly is more like it. When I see people put large phones to their heads, I chuckle a bit and remember back in the 80's when the cell phone was the size of a brick. I actually like the Galaxy Note but as a guy, I just don't have a pocket big enough to hold it and walk normally. I also refuse to carry a man purse. :annoyed

VictoriaF, yes to all your windows questions but if you can wait a year for windows 8, you should. It has a lot of innovative (or copied depending on which side of the mac vs windows spectrum you belong) features for tablets. It is desirable to have like tablets and smartphones for easy syncing. See the new iPhone, iPod, iPad, and iCloud combo commercial to see how well it works. But it is not required because your main apps (web browser, except Safari, and email) work across platforms.
wander

Post by wander »

If you like Itune, Ipad is way to go. I do not use Itune so I went with cheaper Nook Color with DoubleTwist.
interplanetjanet

mmmodem wrote:
interplanetjanet wrote:I don't think that I look like an idiot talking on my 5" Dell Streak. It's a lot smaller than the Nokia Communicator I used to carry, and actually smaller in length and thickness than my home cordless phone (the Galaxy Note is similar in size). Then again, I carry around a 5" palmtop with a built in keyboard along with it...
OP said she already has a smart phone so monthly costs would be replaced by the phablet. Perhaps idiot is too strong of a word. Silly is more like it. When I see people put large phones to their heads, I chuckle a bit and remember back in the 80's when the cell phone was the size of a brick. I actually like the Galaxy Note but as a guy, I just don't have a pocket big enough to hold it and walk normally. I also refuse to carry a man purse. :annoyed:
Remember bag phones? Back then your phone *was* your purse!

The OP was asking about a tablet to supplement things, not necessarily to replace her phone. I think your suggestion is a good one (after all I do carry a 5" tabletphone) but it really depends on the uses it will be put to. I love that I always have it with me whenever I have my purse with me, that part is great. I can pull it out while standing in front of produce at a grocery store to look up a cheese I've never seen before or other things like that. But (and this is a big but) as a device to sit somewhere with, browsing the web or digging through emails...it's still on the small side. A 7" tablet would be better for that but I wouldn't always have it with me, which would be annoying. The Sony Tablet P (the folding thing) is appealing because it would fit even in my smallish purse but offer a lot more screen space...decisions decisions. I'd probably stop carrying my OQO constantly if I got one though.

There's no substitute for trying out some of these things in person and figuring out how and when you could carry them. I have a purse that could fit a 7" tablet but the whole purse would have to be arranged around it, and I'd be conscious about it in there. Fine if I planned on carrying it just when I needed it though.

One other reason to keep a separate tablet and phone is that sometimes it is handy to shove a phone in a small pocket. My Streak fits in most of my pants but it's not exactly subtle and I worry about flexing it when moving too fast.

-janet
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D Um, tablets have to be synced to LT/Notebooks every 30days. To keep everything "synched".AFAIK, in other words you need one to own the other. 8-)
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

englishgirl wrote:I've played with an Asus Transformer - intriguing idea, but very heavy, and a bit clunky too.
FYI, the undocked Transformer Prime (2nd generation Transformer) is pretty much the exact same dimensions and weight as the iPad2. The Transformer Prime is actually slightly thinner and lighter than the iPad, but also a tad longer and narrower (due to the different aspect ratio of the screen). So one can no longer call the current version heavy and clunky without calling the current iPad heavy and clunky too.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

VictoriaF wrote:Can a Windows slate PC be used with an attachable keyboard (perhaps, attachable via Bluetooth)?
Do Windows slate PCs have a DVD drive? If not, can an external DVD drive be attached to them?
Depends on the Windows slate (tablet PC). I have a Motion Computing J3500 (12" tablet PC) at work and it has both a mobile keyboard dock option (magnetically mounts to the underside of the slate to be taken off and folded out when needed) and a more traditional desk keyboard dock option. That particular slate is not really built with "light and easy" in mind though. It's a rugged slate, with a water-resistant rubberized shell and 4 foot drop rating (MIL-STD-810G and IP52 rated). So it's a bit of a beast to carry around for media consumption, but works well for its intended purpose at work of being able to digitize notes that include figures and drawings and still have full Windows functionality.

Motion Computing also makes a smaller 10" Windows tablet PC with a keyboard dock, but even it would seem portly next to its Android and iOS brethren, clocking in at 950g compared to the 586g of the Transformer Prime or 601g of the iPad2. It's also almost twice as thick as those tablets. Again, that is because it's a rugged design. That's kind of Motion Computing's claim to fame. They've been making rugged slate PCs with excellent handwriting recognition (Wacom digitizer screens) for a decade.

There are also other slates with docking options, like Samsung Series 7 or Asus Eee Slate, that are probably more consumer friendly in terms of size and weight, but I don't have much experience with since they'd break like a delicate flower at work. If you're considering a slate for handwriting recognition, you want one with a Wacom digitizer like these though. I can say without a doubt that the Wacom inking experience is miles above trying to do any handwriting or drawing with a capacitive stylus.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Mudpuppy wrote:
englishgirl wrote:I've played with an Asus Transformer - intriguing idea, but very heavy, and a bit clunky too.
FYI, the undocked Transformer Prime (2nd generation Transformer) is pretty much the exact same dimensions and weight as the iPad2. The Transformer Prime is actually slightly thinner and lighter than the iPad, but also a tad longer and narrower (due to the different aspect ratio of the screen). So one can no longer call the current version heavy and clunky without calling the current iPad heavy and clunky too.
Ah, yes, the Prime looks much thinner than the one I played with, so that must have been the old model. Thanks for the info! The Prime looks pretty nice, I must say! If I didn't already have a laptop, that would be a good compromise between having two different formats, I think.

[Although, I *do* call the iPad heavy. Hence me wanting to wait for a smaller one.]
Sarah
jaxxmjd

Post by jaxxmjd »

norookie wrote::D Um, tablets have to be synced to LT/Notebooks every 30days. To keep everything "synched".AFAIK, in other words you need one to own the other. 8-)
No, not all tablets need to be sync'd through a cable. The cloud is a wonderful thing.

Also, there are many apps that assist users with synching over WiFi rather than by a tethered cable. I do this whenever I want to transmit large numbers of files between my smartphone and tablet.