Philly chapter meeting 4/23

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
DartThrower

Philly chapter meeting 4/23

Post by DartThrower »

The next chapter meeting will be in April 23rd at 11:00 a.m. at Penn. The room location will be announced shortly.

Please bring any and all bond questions to this meeting, or if you can't attend
the meeting you may post questions here. We will be testing out
Linuxizer's new bond software and also discussing the national meeting in the fall. As usual I'm sure there will be some discussion of general topics as well.

For this meeting let's bring brown bag lunches!
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
Terrapin09

Easter Sunday

Post by Terrapin09 »

Just wanted to make sure you knew that April 23 was Easter Sunday. I was hoping to attend the next meeting, but that will be a hard Sunday to get away from the family.
Topic Author
DartThrower

Re: Easter Sunday

Post by DartThrower »

Terrapin09 wrote:Just wanted to make sure you knew that April 23 was Easter Sunday. I was hoping to attend the next meeting, but that will be a hard Sunday to get away from the family.
Hi Terrapin.

My calendar says April 23rd is a Saturday. But you're right in that it is during the holiday season for many of us, including me. I apologize for any inconvenience, but this was the only available day the speaker had available.

I always try to make our meetings as convenient as possible for the majority of people. This includes locating the meetings in the suburbs whenever possible as well. :)

Hope to see you at a future meeting!
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
Terrapin09

Post by Terrapin09 »

Touche. Have a great meeting and hopefully I'll see you at the next one!
grabiner
Advisory Board

Re: Easter Sunday

Post by grabiner »

DartThrower wrote:I always try to make our meetings as convenient as possible for the majority of people. This includes locating the meetings in the suburbs whenever possible as well. :)
Penn isn't bad from the suburbs; if you don't want to drive and park in the city, you can take a train from any direction. (Coming from NJ, I'll probably take the 10:20 from Cornwells Heights, just off I-95, which arrives at 30th Street at 10:46; it's about a half-mile walk southwest from the station.)
Last edited by grabiner on Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower »

The exact location for the meeting on 4/23 is:

University of PA,
Houston Hall, Griski Room, Floor 3

A map can be found at this link:
http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/perelmanquad/ ... ston_hall/

(We have met there in the past so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem for anyone) .
gordo33

chapter meeting info

Post by gordo33 »

New to site
would like to attend chapter meeting
Do you have to be a member?
Topic Author
DartThrower

Re: chapter meeting info

Post by DartThrower »

gordo33 wrote:New to site
would like to attend chapter meeting
Do you have to be a member?
Hi gordo.

Welcome to the site and welcome to the Philly chapter! There are no membership dues for our chapter, and you are welcome to attend the meeting. Information about our group can be found at

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/PhillyBogleheads/

You can contact me at phillyboglehead@gmail.com to be added to our mailing list.
gordo33

Post by gordo33 »

dartthrower
thanks for info
Topic Author
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower »

It was good to see everyone who was able to make it to our Spring meeting today. Special thanks to Linuxizer for presenting his bond software and giving us all a better feel for the impact of interest rate changes and changes in the yield curve on bond portfolios of various characteristics. We also had a related discussion of the implications of holding individual bonds / bond ladders as an alternative to bond funds.

In addittion, Ladygeek brought up the thread about the Trinity study which can be found here:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=71850 We could probably have an entire meeting about this topic alone!

We will likely have one more meeting toward the end of summer followed by a recap meeting once again after the BH 10 reunion in October.

For anyone not yet on our chapter mailing list:

You can contact me at phillyboglehead@gmail.com to be added to our mailing list.