Inaugural St. Louis Bogleheads Meeting A Big Success

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Howard Donnelly

Inaugural St. Louis Bogleheads Meeting A Big Success

Post by Howard Donnelly »

Today we had our Inaugural St. Louis Bogleheads Meeting at the offices of Buckingham Asset Management. Our speakers were Larry Swedroe and Jared Kizer. Larry's topic was, "When Will Things Return To Normal," and Jared's topic was, "The Current Environment Of Muni Bonds." Both were excellent presentations, IMO. It was a terrific way to start. Thank you to Larry, Jared, and the staff at Buckingham Asset Management.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Ditto.
DartThrower

Post by DartThrower »

Very impressive! Congratulations!
After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. Chopin
nvboglehead

Re: Inaugural St. Louis Bogleheads Meeting A Big Success

Post by nvboglehead »

Howard Donnelly wrote:Today we had our Inaugural St. Louis Bogleheads Meeting at the offices of Buckingham Asset Management. Our speakers were Larry Swedroe and Jared Kizer. Larry's topic was, "When Will Things Return To Normal," and Jared's topic was, "The Current Environment Of Muni Bonds." Both were excellent presentations, IMO. It was a terrific way to start. Thank you to Larry, Jared, and the staff at Buckingham Asset Management.
Just curious, how many local Bogleheads were there at your first meeting?

Thanks,

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?
Topic Author
Howard Donnelly

Re: Inaugural St. Louis Bogleheads Meeting A Big Success

nvboglehead wrote:Just curious, how many local Bogleheads were there at your first meeting?
I counted 25.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Congratulations to the St. Louis Chapter on its first successful meeting.

And thanks to Larry and Jared for their contributions.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Taylor Larimore

The first St. Louis Chapter meeting.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Howard:

You, and everyone involved, deserve a lot of credit for making your first meeting a great success!

I have family in the area. Does anyone know a St. Louis Larimore? My uncle, Joe Larimore, was a doctor at Barnes Hospital.

Thank you.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
cjackson0

Post by cjackson0 »

Thanks to Larry and Jared for presenting, and Don for organizing a successful event!

It was inconvenient for me to take a long lunch from work so I couldn't stay for Jared's presentation. I apologize to the speakers for arriving late and leaving early (I was the guy in the back).

I look forward to many more meetings (both formal presentations and social gatherings) !
Sent from my iphone
larryswedroe

Diehard meeting

Post by larryswedroe »

Glad everyone enjoyed the sessions. We were happy to host the group. They even got to take a tour and visit with our fixed income desk and see how they buy bonds and at what spreads our clients are able to purchase individual bonds at, and ask lots of questions.

Buckingham has many excellent speakers so we can provide the St. Louis group with speakers on many topics. For example, Madaline Creehan does talks on topics related to women. Tiya Lim does a talk on Social Security.

I was thinking that we could also provide speakers for other groups around the country. If other groups are interested you can let Cathy Catsavis know via an email to CCatsavis@bamstl.com. She can then check to see if we have one of our speakers travelling to your local area and then see if we can make the schedules work. Obviously the more advance notice the better and the more flexibility the better.

And perhaps we can even find way to use technology to do remote presentations.
Marester

Post by Marester »

As a grateful St. Louis Boglehead, I'd like to add my thanks to Don for getting our chapter started and for organizing our inaugural event, and to Larry, Jared, and all the folks at BAM for so graciously hosting and educating us. You gave freely of your time and talents-- and provided a delicious lunch to boot-- all of which reinforce the fact that Boglehead types are fine folks, indeed. Thank you.

Taylor, I don't know any St. Louis Larimores...but I'm sure the St. Louis Bogleheads would LOVE to have you come out our way to reconnect with your relatives and join us at a chapter meeting! :)
Topic Author
Howard Donnelly

In my initial post I forgot to thank Don Christy for organizing our local chapter. Well done, Don. Thank you!
bobh

Post by bobh »

Thanks to everyone above and also to Cathy for the great tour. And to the bond traders for letting us interrupt their busy day and answering our questions. Great Lunch also!

Go Cards!
:D
verbose

Post by verbose »

Thanks to Don Christy for organizing this! I really enjoyed the event.
fundtalker123

Post by fundtalker123 »

So, when will things get back to normal?
Topic Author
Howard Donnelly

fundtalker123 wrote:So, when will things get back to normal?
I asked Larry about this. He sent me this note: "What I said was that this is normal--the tremendous volatility and the barrage of bad news and the fat tails. Which is why the ERP is so high, so it is GOOD NEWS that we have this volatility--at least for those in accumulation phase."
Last edited by Howard Donnelly on Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verbose

Post by verbose »

fundtalker123 wrote:So, when will things get back to normal?
Never, but things were never normal in the first place.
larryswedroe

for those interested

Post by larryswedroe »

https://www120.livemeeting.com/cc/bamst ... pw=Gf~z8XC

a link to hear the presentation I gave

Hope you enjoy
Default User BR

Post by Default User BR »

I guess I should have been following the local chapters forum. Ah well. If it was a daytime event, I wouldn't have been able to attend anyway.

I met Larry already a while back when he gave a talk at the library.

Brian
Steve Vitale

Great first meeting

Post by Steve Vitale »

Thanks, to Larry, Buckingham and Don