NE OHIO CHAPTER: First meeting.

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

NE OHIO CHAPTER: First meeting.

Post by Maid of the Mist »

The first meeting of the NE Ohio chapter is scheduled for Saturday, June 9 at 10:00 AM at Heinen's Grocery Store in Brecksville (on Rte 82 just east of Rte 21). They have a sit-down cafe area with coffee, bagels, donuts, other breakfast food available. This first meeting will be introductions and ideas for topics/activities for future meetings. If anyone has any additional item they would want on the agenda, let me know. My husband and I look forward to meeting other "area" bogleheads.

MEETING TIME is changed to 10:00 AM to allow for travel for those coming greater distances.
Last edited by Maid of the Mist on Mon May 14, 2012 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

Re: NE Ohio Chapter Mtg

I just wanted to bring this message back to the top.

Also, folks interested in NE Ohio group seem to be quite spread out in terms of geography and timing availability. Once we get together, we can review location and timing - but for now this is the best I can do.

Finally, please reply or send me a message if you can come.

Thanks, MOM
blackbirdz

Post by blackbirdz »

I can make it.
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

NEW MEETING TIME 10:00AM on Saturday, June 9.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Good luck to the NE Ohio Local Chapter on the occasion of its first meeting.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

I have it on my calendar and will try to attend.

BobinBerea
sport

Post by sport »

I'm looking forward to it.
Jeff
toromos

Post by toromos »

I'm hoping to be there too.

Charles
True Wealth

Post by True Wealth »

Just saw this post and I am very excited about the possibility of a NE Ohio group! Although I cannot attend on June 9th, I would like to know about future meetings!
You say, 'If I had a little more, I should be very satisfied.' You make a mistake. If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it were doubled. | -Charles Haddon Spurgeon
OhioGozaimas

Post by OhioGozaimas »

Just noted! Thanks, I'll try to be there.
Map out your future – but do it in pencil. – Jon Bon Jovi
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

Just a reminder - NE Ohio Mtg June 9 (Saturday) at 10AM! Hope to see you there.

Maid of the Mist and Sidnaw Kid
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

I was happily surprised to see that the meeting place is only 10 miles from my house!
Count me in. Do we need to bring anything? How will we recognize each other, or should it be obvious? (unfortunately, I don't know the secret handshake) ;)

Bob
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Another "Bob," eh? You can never have too many Bobs.

I'm hoping I can still come, but a lot depends on the challenges I'm facing in car buying in the next few days. I would rather do root canal or major surgery instead of buying a car.

BobinBerea
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

bobinberea wrote:I'm hoping I can still come, but a lot depends on the challenges I'm facing in car buying in the next few days. I would rather do root canal or major surgery instead of buying a car.
How coincidental. I too was looking to buy a new car over the last few days as the current one needed new tires, brakes, etc. I assumed just trading it in for a new one would be simpler. I also assumed I could easily buy a car online and just pick it up, avoiding the whole buying-process hassle. Interestingly, even nowadays, it seems you can't really do that. Somewhere along the process you still are going back and forth with the dealer. Bummer. In the end, I just decided to go out today to get new tires and brakes for the current ride. It was totally painless and pushed the car dealer annoyance down the road a year or two...or three :D

Bob
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

RE: car buying (a little off topic, I know), there have been some good threads on that lately here among the Bogleheads. As one might expect, there are some pretty savvy people on this stuff on this site. It seems to me that if one has lots of time and energy to devote to the matter, and if one is good at poker playing, one can do just fine dealing with salespersons. But even the strategies that involve online research and negotiation from afar strike me as rather time and energy intensive. And bargaining doesn't come naturally to me.

BobinBerea
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

Re: NE OHIO CHAPTER: First meeting.

Reminder that meeting is at Heinens in Brecksville on route 82 (just east of Rte 21 (which is also Brecksville Rd)). Meeting time is at 10AM this Saturday (June 9) and will be in the cafe area of Heinens (just off the side entrance - lots of tables are a give-away). You can grab a coffee, OJ and bagel if you like. You don't need to bring anything.

I will be curious to hear about the car buying experience - those are always challenging!

We are planning on an introduction - personal stuff plus how it was you have evolved into a Boglehead. Also, we will get ideas for future meetings (topics & location). If there is any specific topic you would like discussed on Saturday (and you would like us to prepare), put it into this thread. Sidnaw Kid and I are dealing with the early stages of retirement. Any tips on that would be helpful.

We look forward to seeing folks.
Hoosier

Post by Hoosier »

I will try to attend as well. Thanks for organizing!
rosemary11

Post by rosemary11 »

I cannot attend on June 9th, I would like to know about future meetings.
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

:happy Just a reminder - Our first meeting is tomorrow (Saturday). I look forward to meeting everyone.
CherylHall

Post by CherylHall »

Hi all, I am also in NE ohio. Will there be more meetings? I am interested. thanks Cheryl
sport

Post by sport »

CherylHall wrote:Hi all, I am also in NE ohio. Will there be more meetings? I am interested. thanks Cheryl
Yes. The time and place are yet to be determined.

Jeff
rosemary11

Post by rosemary11 »

Do you have any palns for a 2nd meeting?
sport

Post by sport »

jsl11 wrote:
CherylHall wrote:Hi all, I am also in NE ohio. Will there be more meetings? I am interested. thanks Cheryl
Yes. The time and place are yet to be determined.

Jeff
Topic Author
Maid of the Mist

It is time for another NE Ohio meeting. I am proposing meeting on August 18 (Saturday) at 10am. Right now the meeting would be at Heinens again - but upstairs where they promise me it will be quieter. Please respond if you have interest in attending - either on the forum or to me in email.

:thumbsup or :thumbsdown :happy
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Maid of the Mist wrote:It is time for another NE Ohio meeting. I am proposing meeting on August 18 (Saturday) at 10am. Right now the meeting would be at Heinens again - but upstairs where they promise me it will be quieter. Please respond if you have interest in attending - either on the forum or to me in email.

:thumbsup or :thumbsdown :happy
Hi MOM:

Perhaps you might want to start a new thread with another title, such as "NE Ohio Meeting August 18 at 10am" or something similar. Or, at a minimum, delete the "First Meeting" from your heading. That way, folks who have already read this thread won't think it's the same old one they've already read. (If you can't figure out how to edit your heading, let me know and I'll do it for you.)

Thanks for your work in organizing these meetings and best wishes to you and all the NE Ohio Bogleheads.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

Maid of the Mist wrote:It is time for another NE Ohio meeting. I am proposing meeting on August 18 (Saturday) at 10am. Right now the meeting would be at Heinens again - but upstairs where they promise me it will be quieter. Please respond if you have interest in attending - either on the forum or to me in email.
I think I can come. (It probably does make sense to invent a new thread with a more current name.)

BobinBerea
sport

Post by sport »

Sounds good. I plan to attend.

:thumbsup

Jeff
bobinberea

Post by bobinberea »

FYI, all---there is a new thread under "Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community," for our upcoming second meeting.

BobinBerea