JACK BOGLE'S MESSAGE TO BH: Two Birthdays!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
jack bogle

Post by jack bogle »

To my wonderful Boglehead friends,

Birthdays are great days to celebrate and to count our blessings. So I salute you on the fifth birthday of Bogleheads.org on February 19, 2012, and wish you every success, in advance, for your next birthday in 2013, your 10th birthday in 2017, and your 25th birthday in 2032! I have no doubt you’ll still be doing the good work of helping your growing community of investors all those years from now, and beyond.

In a fine near-coincidence, my own 16th “heart birthday” was only two days later. Yes, it was back on February 21, 1996, that I was the beneficiary of a heart transplant. While I may or may not make it for my own 25th in 2021, sixteen years of life is not to be sneezed at!

A bit of history:

The first time I met a Boglehead was February 3, 1999, while I was giving a speech at "The Money Show" in Orlando, Florida. Shortly before my talk, Taylor Larimore, unofficial leader of the Bogleheads (there with this wife Pat), introduced himself to me. Just over a year later, I gave another speech in Florida. And again, I met Taylor. This time, Talyor invited me to meet with the Bogleheads at his home in Miami, and I enthusiastically agreed—“Bogleheads I.”

The tradition has continued (almost) annually since then, most recently with Bogleheads X in October 2011, right here in Valley Forge. Some 150 Bogleheads attended—yet another opportunity for me to greet you, talk to you, and celebrate the wisdom of low cost, long-term investing.

Every day, Bogleheads.org brings together investors from all over the world who share a quality that is all too rare today—common sense—and hunger for independent, conflict-free advice from those with a large reservoir of first-hand investment experience. In his classic 1840 treatise Democracy in America, Alexis de Tocqueville observed that "only by the reciprocal influence of men upon one another are feelings and opinions recruited, is the heart enlarged, and is the human mind developed." I can’t imagine a more appropriate description of what is accomplished by Bogleheads.org. I’m at once humbled and thrilled to think that I have leant a hand in inspiring this virtual gathering place of intelligent and caring people.

Bless you all.

Jack
Sam I Am

Re: Two Birthdays!

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Very pleased to hear your message Mr. Bogle. We owe a lot to you and Vanguard. Many happy returns of this special day.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Thank you Mr. Bogle! And happy "heart birthday" to you - 16 years is a wonderful thing indeed!
Sarah
marcnci

Post by marcnci »

Happy "Heart Birthday" Mr. Bogle! I am new to investing and am truly inspired by you. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and for giving new investors like myself a fighting chance to reach our dreams and goals!
“Failure is an extremely motivating force to those who are born for success.”
RTR2006

Post by RTR2006 »

Hi Mr. Bogle, as another Boglehead has just written, happy heart birthday!

Please count me as one more person whose investing life was profoundly changed for the better by discovering this forum now almost five years ago (wow!), and who is proud and happy to state that the advice I've received from the wonderful members of this community (Laura, in particular) set me on a path to understanding my own investing goals, objectives and challenges as we all swim these turbulent tides.

Your investment philosophy has created a community that will live on for years to come, I am sure. How proud you must (should) be!!!

All the best for continued health and happiness.

RTR
92irish

Re: JACK BOGLE'S MESSAGE TO BH: Two Birthdays!

Post by 92irish »

Thank you Mr. Bogle for posting. It means a lot us when you show up online from time to time.

Along with the other poster, I as well share my gratitude for you efforts on behalf of the common individual investor and for founding Vanguard. It has and will improve the lives of many for years to come.

92Irish
PreserveCapital

Post by PreserveCapital »

Mr. Bogle you are a class act.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Happy Heart Birthday Mr. Bogle. You are a true inspiration to all. Thank you for sharing your knowledge to so many people. You truly are a “Class Act”.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Jazzman

Post by Jazzman »

Thank you...see you at the next hearty boglehead's reunion.
Last edited by Jazzman on Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

What a wonderful note, Mr. Bogle! Thank you for your work and for Vanguard. Press on to your 25th in 2021.
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
Taylor Larimore

It was not an accident.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

The first time I met a Boglehead was February 3, 1999, while I was giving a speech at "The Money Show" in Orlando, Florida. Shortly before my talk, Taylor Larimore, unofficial leader of the Bogleheads (there with this wife Pat), introduced himself to me.
Dear Jack:

That meeting in 1999, described above, changed our lives!

Your vast practical experience and wisdom has improved our financial lives immensely. Pat and I often say: "We live in the home that Jack Built."

Equally important to me, was learning the story of your life and listening to your writings and speeches. They changed my life. Using your example, I try (in a much smaller and less successful way), to emmulate your perserverance, your kindness, your generosity, and modesty.

You are the personification of your book: Character Counts

It is no accident that God gave you a second heart.

Respectfully,

Taylor and Pat
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Happy Heart Birthday, Jack!

It was a great honor to meet you last October at the Bogleheads event. As I mentioned at the time, your writing (in particular, your Little Book of Common Sense Investing) changed my life.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

Dear Jack,

Taylor sums it up well. Happy heart birthday to you. Thank you for always "Walking the walk" instead of just "talking the talk". We are all so lucky to have found you!

LynnC
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Happy Birthday, Jack! Thank you for your inspiration. I wish you continued good health and am looking forward to meeting you again at the next Bogleheads' convention.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACK! And many, many more we hope.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Happy "heart birthday" Mr. Bogle. Thank you for providing the means and knowledge that enables middle class Americans to enjoy financial success.

Frank

PS: I think we share a real birthday, just different years.
nepats

Post by nepats »

Happy Birthday to Jack and Bogleheads! Fortunately, I have discovered this forum at an early age. I can now combine the wisdom and investing philosophy shared here with the time advantage to set us up for an early retirement. I only hope to "pay it forward" in some ways.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Thank you.

And Happy (Heart) Birthday.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
dave2589

Post by dave2589 »

Mr. Bogle

Many more years of good health, happiness and helping us " stay the course."
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Happy "heart birthday," Jack!
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
norookie

Post by norookie »

:beer My hats off to you sir, Mr JBogle, sir. :mrgreen: You sent me a post card 20 + yrs ago I cherish, a 3"X 5" piece of USPS paper :wink: ! TL, ML, LAutin, AxF, tashina(a mod) and others I know nothing about as this wonderful "crew" volunteering to maintaining and moderate this commercial free site are a outstanding crew. I'd bet it's educating, financially and otherwise, many members-visitors here, myself included. If anyone should have gone to the front of the line in this life saving process sir, it would be you. However I think I know your answer to that, you'd wait. Thats character. Time fly's! Best 2U' 'n yours sir. :peace
Last edited by norookie on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Juniormint

Post by Juniormint »

What a wonderful message. Happy Birthday and thank you for simply being who you are. Our lives are richer for it.
RyanC

Post by RyanC »

Thank you Mr. Bogle! And happy heart birthday to you sir!

I am proud to be a (mostly silent) member of this forum, and am very thankful to have found it when I did. I know it has made a significant difference in my investing for the future. Thanks to all the great contributors here.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Un altro centinaio di anni , Salut, Mr. John C. Bogle
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Happy Birthday Jack, from one of those "ordinary investors" to whom you've given a "fair shake." :D :thumbsup
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
V572625694

Post by V572625694 »

A lot of people hope to make a positive difference in their lives; by inventing the index fund and creating Vanguard, Mr Bogle really did that for so many of us. Happy birthday!
kikie

Post by kikie »

Aloha from Honolulu to you and that heart of yours, though, I think I'd choose the original Bogle brain, forced to choose ....... :roll:
Those who know do not speak; those who speak do not know.
ebeard

Post by ebeard »

Thank you Mr. Bogle.
“America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”
― Alexis de Tocqueville

You are a great man.
3 core funds. Don't just do something, stand there.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Thank you Mr. Bogle for creating the message. In the past 5 years, this forum has given it yet another voice.

I am so grateful for what this investing approach and Vanguard has done and the difference it has made in my life.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
albedo

Post by albedo »

Mr. Bogle. I’m sorry to be late to the party! It’s a rare treat to see your name posted on the forum. As others have noted, your writings, this forum and the Vanguard Group have been beacons in the financial fog for many of us. Thank you for your guidance, and a “hearty” happy birthday to you and to the Bogleheads forum! :beer
Gauntlet

Post by Gauntlet »

Happy heart birthday! I think the forum has already covered how important your investing ideas have been at improving our financial lives. So let me just add another huge thank you.
MIGIHIDARI

Post by MIGIHIDARI »

Thank you Mr. Bogle for enriching so many lives!
We will be forever grateful.
God bless!
MH
Driver

Post by Driver »

Happy Birthday :D
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Hi Jack,

Happy 'heart' birthday to you! I'm blessed to have heard your message 13 years ago and even more blessed to have met you in person! Thanks for greeting us on the forum~it sure means a lot.

See you at Bogleheads 11!

Gail Cox
nvboglehead

Post by nvboglehead »

We have much to celebrate: Vanguard (low cost and uniquely client-owned), the Boglehead philosophy and this forum, and the fact that we have had the pleasure to meet and thank the man who started it all at the BH reunions.

It has been wonderful witnessing the success of the "Vanguard experiment".

Thank you, Mr. Bogle!

Dale
Learn from the Bogleheads! Do you want to work for your money or have your money work for you?
billjohnson

Post by billjohnson »

jack bogle wrote:Bless you all.
Thank you for all of your contributions to the world of finance and investing. Much health and happiness to you and your family.
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Happy heart birthday, Jack! And a happy 5th anniversary to Bogleheads.org.

Presidents and kings often worry about what their legacy will be. Nevertheless, the legacy for all of us is simply what we do with our time on earth. We all know that the Jack Bogle legacy will be one of incredible excellence. Thanks to your creation of Vanguard, we now have a new answer to that old question: "Where are the customers' yachts?" We know that Taylor has one of them. :D

Through your entrepreneurship you created a way to help investors live in nicer homes, send their children to college, live more prosperous retirements and create larger endowments. And through your tireless efforts to educate investors, you continuously add more savvy investors to the fold. All of us are very grateful for the tremendous work you have done and continue to do.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
HPPH

Post by HPPH »

It is my pleasure to report that I am starting a chapter for Bogleheads in China.

So the show must be going on...

Happy Birthday to all....
DetroitRed

Post by DetroitRed »

Mr. Bogle,

You're one of my heroes and it's an honor to wish you a happy heart birthday.
sandstorm

Post by sandstorm »

Happy heart birthday, Mr. Bogle. About 11 years ago my (then 80 year old) mother loaned me her copy of Common Sense on Mutual Funds and it changed my ideas about investing forever. Thank you for showing us the way through the confusion with your thoughtful, concise and logically expressed ideas. Just in one family, your wisdom has spread to 3 generations of investors! I am grateful for the chance to tell you thank you.
laughlinlvr

Post by laughlinlvr »

Congratulations. I am so grateful I came upon your knowledge and advice early in my investing career. :D
Investing - The hardest way to make an easy living.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Happy heart birthday, Jack. Thanks so much for your guidance and your friendship, which I deeply cherish.

You've made a huge difference in the lives of millions of ordinary investors. I hope your new heart keeps you going for many, many more years, since the world would never be the same without you.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Midpack

Post by Midpack »

Thank you Mr. Bogle. Every dime we have is with Vanguard, we've done very well, and we sleep well too. Too many investors only get one or the other.

And this forum has indeed been a wonderful resource for all.

Many more Happy Birthdays to you too!
You only live once...
shawcroft

Post by shawcroft »

Delighted to add my wishes for a "Happy Heart Birthday" to Mr. Bogle. It was a great pleasure to meet him and his efforts on behalf of the ordinary investor are worth a Nobel Prize!
Shawcroft
bb

Post by bb »

Jack,

It's a thrill to see a post by you. Thank you for the books, the inteviews,and
giving the little guy a shot. Your ability to communicate with such clarity is
a true gift.

Sincerely,

Brian
jeff mc

Post by jeff mc »

another "heart-felt" note of thanks, jack!

now go get your new ticker its drivers learning permit. and stay (on) the course!
second-guesser

Post by second-guesser »

Jack , many years ago I had a girlfriend who had a major crush on Ricky Nelson. She had a posters of him in her locker and all over her room. She bought and listened constantly to all his records. Several years later he was playing in a small club and I will never forget how she looked at him when he signed his autograph for her. She was ecstatic.

I cannot describe my emotions writing to you as quite as strong as my girlfriend's feelings were for Ricky ; but it is a great honor. You have helped me in three ways. The first is obviously low cost index funds. Your books have taught me so much. Undoubtedly your greatest gift to me is how you have consistently confronted the financial industry. It shows that there are still people with courage in the public arena that speak out for all of us. Role models like that do more
good than I would guess even you realize. Thank you.

S-G
Last edited by second-guesser on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kathleen Ryan

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Happy16th HeartBirthday Mr. Bogle,

We all have been truly blessed to have you in our lives, and for having you as our champion for
so many years. For some of us relatively new to the world of investing, you have been there for
us before we knew it, and will continue to be there for the generations to come.

You have taught us that investing does NOT have to be a scary process, and given us the tools to
make intelligent investing decisions on our own, with your help. No brokers for us! 8-)

It was such a thrill, and pleasure to meet you. Thank you once again for the gift of you, your time,
and the benefit of your wisdom through your books, and speeches.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash ... 7217_n.jpg

A Happy Heart Birthday/Belated Valentine's Day Limerick

There is a man known as Jack
Who tirelessly leads the attack
On corporate greed
His word they should heed-
Fiduciary responsibility-many lack.

Thank you to Taylor,

who had the wonderful idea to host the first Bogleheads Reunion in his home, along with Pat. Look how the Bogleheads
phenomenon has grown through the years!

With deep appreciation and admiration,
Kathleen Ryan
BHCadet

Post by BHCadet »

Thank You!!!