Archived master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Archived master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads

Post by grabiner »

This is the archived master thread for the Washington DC Area Bogleheads. Please see the new thread for Master thread for Washington DC Area Bogleheads for current information. We no longer meet at the location which appears in many posts on this thread.
Last edited by grabiner on Thu May 22, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
VictoriaF

Meeting on 20 May 2007

Post by VictoriaF »

Our next meeting is on Sunday, 20 May 2007. Same place, same time.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
MDIndexer

Post by MDIndexer »

Just our of curiosity, what is the typical turn out for this meeting?
Taylor Larimore

Washington DC Chapter turnout?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Just our of curiosity, what is the typical turn out for this meeting?
My wife and I were fortunate to attend one of the Washington Chapter meetings last year. My guess is that there were 30-40 Bogleheads in attendence.

It was the highlight of our Washington visit.

Best wishes.
Taylor
VictoriaF

Washington DC Chapter meetings

Post by VictoriaF »

I attended about 70% of the DC chapter meetings. The number of participants ranged from six to thirty, with the median of about ten. We had the greatest attendance when Taylor, his wife and friends were visiting last year.

At this upcoming meeting we will be discussing preparations for the June Diehards conference in DC (ok, in Alexandria), and so more people than usual may come.

I always look forward to meetings, because it is a group of highly intelligent and friendly people. Last year, I had a tangible gain. After a discussion with David Grabiner, I re-did my taxes and saved $1,200.

Looking forward to seeing old and new members on Sunday.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
VictoriaF

15 July Meeting

Post by VictoriaF »

Reminder:
Our next meeting is scheduled for 15 July. Same place, same time.

Victoria
VictoriaF

16 September Meeting

Post by VictoriaF »

Reminder:
Our next meeting is scheduled for 16 September. Same place, same time.

Victoria
bobcat2

Info on Life-Cycle Saving and Investing & ESP

Post by bobcat2 »

Hi DC Diehards,

Here is a link to a recent Boglehead thread, which in turn links to Zvi Bodie's presentation on life-cycle investing at the CFA annual meeting in April, several articles by financial planner Paula Hogan on life-cycle investing, and link to the The Future of Life-Cycle Saving & Investing Conference held last October at the Boston Fed.
Link:http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5740

Here's a link to a Boglehead thread concerning ESPlanner financial planning software, which in turn links to lots of information about ESPlanner.
Link:http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

If you have any comments or questions send me a Private Message.

Bob K
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Rager1

Next Meeting--January 20, 2008

Post by Rager1 »

The next meeting will be held on January 20, 2008, same time, same place.

The initial topic of discussion for this meeting will be Jason Zweig's new book "Your Money & Your Brain".

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Ed
VictoriaF

Re: Next Meeting--January 20, 2008

Post by VictoriaF »

Rager1 wrote:The next meeting will be held on January 20, 2008, same time, same place.

The initial topic of discussion for this meeting will be Jason Zweig's new book "Your Money & Your Brain".

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

Ed
Ed,
Thank you for the announcement.

All,
I would like to propose a few questions/topics to discuss in connection with Zweig's book:

1. Have you made the same mistake more than once; and from reading "Your Money & Your Brain" you realized why this had happened.

2. Do you protect yourself from your "reflexive brain" and how do you do it?

3. Do you agree with Zweig's suggestions about the relationship between money and happiness? Do you have your own "secrets" that you would like to share?

4. Other ideas?
Czilla9000

Post by Czilla9000 »

Hey, I'm a student in DC. When is the next meeting?
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Czilla9000,

The next meeting is Sunday, March 16 at 2PM. We meet in the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC.

If you can make it, stop by.

Ed
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

May 18 meeting

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting is Sunday, May 18; same time, same place.
Wiki David Grabiner
Taylor Larimore

Washington Diehards

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi D.C. Diehards:

Pat and I send our best wishes for another successful meeting with your group of outstanding investors.

Best wishes.
Taylor
VictoriaF

Re: Washington Diehards

Post by VictoriaF »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi D.C. Diehards:

Pat and I send our best wishes for another successful meeting with your group of outstanding investors.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Hello Pat and Taylor,

Thank you very much! It goes without saying that we would love to see you at our meetings if you happen to be in the area.

Best wishes,
Victoria
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Hi David, Taylor, and Victoria,

The meeting tomorrow is an "open topic" meeting. So, bring whatever topics you wish to discuss and we'll attempt to get them all covered. Taylor, thanks for the kind words about the DC Area Diehards.

Ed
justinwp

Post by justinwp »

I'd love to come to the next meeting. Let me guess...July 13?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

justinwp wrote:I'd love to come to the next meeting. Let me guess...July 13?
Hello justinwp,

It is the 3rd Sunday every second month, and so the next meeting will be on 20 July.

At the July meeting we may discuss "Spend 'til the End" by Kotlikoff and Burns, which just came out and was recommended by Bob (bobcat2). But we always have a lot of "open discussion" on topics of interest to the participants.

Looking forward to seeing you at the DC Diehards meetings.

Victoria

P.S. I just read your earlier messages about your Roth IRA with a broker chosen by your parents. Please feel free to bring your parents to the meeting and we can discuss the merits of low-cost index funds. :)
justinwp

Post by justinwp »

VictoriaF wrote:
justinwp wrote:I'd love to come to the next meeting. Let me guess...July 13?
Hello justinwp,

It is the 3rd Sunday every second month, and so the next meeting will be on 20 July.

At the July meeting we may discuss "Spend 'til the End" by Kotlikoff and Burns, which just came out and was recommended by Bob (bobcat2). But we always have a lot of "open discussion" on topics of interest to the participants.

Looking forward to seeing you at the DC Diehards meetings.

Victoria

P.S. I just read your earlier messages about your Roth IRA with a broker chosen by your parents. Please feel free to bring your parents to the meeting and we can discuss the merits of low-cost index funds. :)
Sounds great. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll see if I can get my parents to come so they can see the light!

Thanks.
ChesapeakeTechie

Post by ChesapeakeTechie »

Hu everyone - I'll try to come as well in July. It will be my first time in attendance after being on the boards for a while now.
Looking forward to meeting everyone!
ChesapeakeTechie

Would it be appropriate for me to bring my portfolio information to seek some assistance or thoughts on it at the meeting (or with a follow up afterwords)?
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

ChesapeakeTechie wrote:Would it be appropriate for me to bring my portfolio information to seek some assistance or thoughts on it at the meeting (or with a follow up afterwords)?
I think it would be appropriate as long as you protect the confidentiality of your specific personal information. For example, rather than indentifying the dollar amounts in your portfolio, bring along the percentage of your portfolio in each asset class and in each account.

There will be people there who will be glad to offer advice and suggestions. We have a wide range of expertise in the group and we all help each other. It would probably be better to plan on discussing your portfolio after the regular meeting is over. We will start the meeting in July with a discussion of the book "Spend 'til the End" by Kotlikoff and Burns.

Looking forward to meeting you in July.

Ed
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Next meeting July 20

Post by grabiner »

Our next meeting is Sunday, July 20; same time, same place.
Wiki David Grabiner
Rager1

Change of Date for Next Meeting

Post by Rager1 »

Due to the Bogleheads VII meeting in San Diego, we have changed the date for the next Washington DC Area Diehards meeting to Sunday, September 14, 2008, instead of September 21, 2008.

As usual, the meeting will be held at the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC, starting at 2PM in the back portion of the restaurant.

Ed
JayDubbsie

Re: Change of Date for Next Meeting

Post by JayDubbsie »

Rager1 wrote:Due to the Bogleheads VII meeting in San Diego, we have changed the date for the next Washington DC Area Diehards meeting to Sunday, September 14, 2008, instead of September 21, 2008.

As usual, the meeting will be held at the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC, starting at 2PM in the back portion of the restaurant.

Ed
I'm going to try to make the meeting, not sure if I'll be able to.

Let me quickly introduce myself:

I'm 25, I went to school in the DC area and graduated with a BS in Business Administration. I've been working for the past 3 years as the Financial Administrator of a non profit. It has been decent experience, but I am ready to move on. I have taken some MBA level classes, with plans to continue part time. Long term, I am very interested in obtaining a CFP designation. I've been aware of the forum and lurked for a while, but this is my first post.

I love personal finance, saving more than I spend, being smart with money, low cost index funds, and automatic contributions. That said, I have a lot to learn, I am not nearly as well versed as I could be.

Like I said, I hope to make it. You all seem like a friendly bunch, I'm excited for the opportunity to learn.
Rager1

Re: Change of Date for Next Meeting

Post by Rager1 »

JayDubbsie wrote:
Like I said, I hope to make it. You all seem like a friendly bunch, I'm excited for the opportunity to learn.
Here's hoping that you can make it to the meeting. I'm sure you will find it worth the effort.

Ed
bobcat2

Next Meeting - Sunday November 16 @ 2 PM

Post by bobcat2 »

Our next meeting is scheduled for 2 PM, Sunday, November 16 in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Avenue on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Avenue, 14th Street, Vermont Avenue, and M Street in NW Washington.

Bob K
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
ChesapeakeTechie

Jan meeting?

Hi everyone - this may be a bit early but can someone confirm if the Jan meeting is on schedule? I really want to attend so I'm trying to plan ahead
:D

Thanks!!
VictoriaF

Re: Jan meeting?

Post by VictoriaF »

ChesapeakeTechie wrote:Hi everyone - this may be a bit early but can someone confirm if the Jan meeting is on schedule? I really want to attend so I'm trying to plan ahead
:D

Thanks!!
We are now discussing changing the date to either 11 or 25 January. Please stay tuned.

Victoria
VictoriaF

Next Meeting - Sunday, Jan 25, 2pm

Post by VictoriaF »

Considering that the weekend of the 17-18 January will be very busy in Washington, we are changing our January meeting as follows:

Our next meeting will start at 2pm on Sunday, January 25, in the back of the restaurant of the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Ave on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Ave, 14th St, Vermont Ave, and M St in NW Washington, DC.

Victoria
djmbob

Good Move!

Post by djmbob »

Thanks, Dave = great idea to move this month for sure!!

I'm finally back up in the DC area, but I will be up in PA that weekend looking at possible retirement locations, so will miss ya'll this time, but hope to see you in Feb!

Cheers
Ray

P.S. for the flood of new people moving to DC soon, check out the DC Diehards group page listed below for our calendar, group meeting announcements, and more!
Retired Military in Tulsa, 100% VA, MFJ, Age 66, Spouse 61, 2023 Effective Fed Tax Rate 12.17%, OK State 0%
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to seeing everyone on January 25.

Ed
VictoriaF

Inauguration events

Post by VictoriaF »

Those interested in the Inauguration events, check the WP blog at
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/inauguration-watch/

They are providing updates about schedules, locations, closings, etc., as information becomes available. Recent news:
WP wrote:Bruce Springsteen will perform at Barack Obama's inauguration week welcome event Jan. 18 on the National Mall. The event will be on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial and open to the public for free.
bobcat2

DC Diehards invitation to ESPlanner Group meeting

Post by bobcat2 »

Leni (Elaine) has sent the following email out to all DC Diehards.
First ESPlanner Support Group meeting

1 March 2009, 2-4:30 p.m.

Arlington Public Library - Central branch:
http://www.arlingto nva.us/departmen ts/Libraries/ about/LibrariesA boutC

entral.aspx
Second Floor Meeting Rooom

Library address:
1015 N Quincy St; Arlington VA 22201
-- Parking in the library parking lot on Sundays is fine, even
without a parking pass.

Purpose of the meeting: To share ideas on how to use and benefit
from the personal finance software, ESPlanner.

All local Bogleheads are invited -- even if you don't already own
the software -- and feel free to bring your friends, too.
Here is an informal agenda for the meeting.

Agenda

- Relating economic principles to financial planning in general and specifically when using ESPlanner.

- Definitions of some common terms used by ESPlanner including consumption, off-the-top expenditures, and living standard.

- Monte Carlo simulation in ESPlanner and how it effects the household consumption path. Short discussion of improvements in the Monte Carlo algorithm.

- Contingency Analysis - Preparing plans in ESPlanner in the event that either the head of household or the spouse/partner dies.

- ESPlanner beginner tips

- Overview of Economic Assumptions section of ESPlanner. Review of default values and tips on how to prudently change default values.

- What to do when ESPlanner advises a Boglehead family that they are oversaving. :D

- Go over simple ESPlanner case study on laptop.

- General discussion.

(Mike will be setting up the AV equipment)

Best wishes & hope to see many of you Sunday,

Bob K
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Next meeting March 15

Post by grabiner »

The next meeting of the Washington DC area Diehards will be on Sunday, March 15 at 2:00 at the usual place.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Next meeting May 17

Post by grabiner »

The next meeting of the Washington DC Area Diehards will be on Sunday, May 17.

Wiki David Grabiner
bobcat2

DC area ESPlanner Support Group meeting

Post by bobcat2 »

ESPlanner Support Group meeting

Sunday, June 7, 2009, 2-4:30 p.m.

Arlington Public Library - Central branch:

Library directions:
http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/L ... ntral.aspx

Library address:
1015 N Quincy St ;Arlington VA 22201
-- Parking in the library parking lot on Sundays is fine, even without a parking pass.
We have reserved the 2nd floor meeting room, which is located at the south end of the 2nd floor of the library next to the 'quiet' study room, i.e. the study room with the interior glass windows and shut doors.

Purpose of the meeting: Talk about web version of ESPlanner and discuss general questions about ESPlanner and financial planning.

All local Bogleheads are invited -- even if you don't already own the software -- and feel free to bring your friends, too.

If you plan to attend, please let me know by PM or email.

Thanks,
Bob K
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Suggested topic for July 19: long-term care

Post by grabiner »

The next meeting will be on Sunday, July 19 at 2:00 at the usual place.

Since many members of the DC Area Diehards work for the US Government, and there will be a new long-term care contract and probably an open season, I would like to have some discussion of long-term care insurance: should you buy it, when is it appropriate, how much do you need, etc.
Wiki David Grabiner
bobcat2

LTCi meetings

Post by bobcat2 »

In response to David's suggestion about discussing LTCi at the next meeting I have contacted Mark Warshawsky of Watson-Wyatt about talking to our group about LTCi and life care annuities later this year. Mark is the Director of Retirement Research at Watson Wyatt Worldwide, a global human capital consulting firm. He conducts and oversees research at Watson-Wyatt on employer-sponsored retirement programs and policies and is one of America's leading experts on annuities and LTCi. Mark is the father of the life care annuity, in fact he named it. That's the product that bundles LTCi with a life annuity.

So I would like us to pull together discussion areas from our next meeting and then ask Mark to be sure to cover those areas when he speaks to us later this year.

Bob K
bobcat2

Long-Term Care article and videos

Post by bobcat2 »

At yesterday's meeting a New York Times article was mentioned that detailed the wide variation in the quality of LTCi policies. Here is a link to that article.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/26/busin ... oo&emc=rss

At the Future of Life-Cycle Saving and Investing 2008 Conference one session was devoted to assisted living for the elderly. I learned a lot from Amy Finkelstein's presentation, but all three presentations in the Health Care and Assisted Living for the Elderly session are good. Also informative in this general area are the presentations on How Older People Behave, particularly the presentation by David Laibson.
Here is a link to videos of those sessions.
http://www.cfawebcasts.org/cpe/what_pac.cfm?test_id=215

Bob K
Drain

Re: Long-Term Care article and videos

Post by Drain »

Thanks for posting the links, Bob.
Darin
Topic Author
grabiner
Advisory Board

Meeting September 13, 2009 instead of September 20

Post by grabiner »

September 20 is Rosh Hashanah, so we will be meeting September 13 instead.

The topic of this meeting will be Zvi Bodie's book, Worry-Free Investing.
Wiki David Grabiner
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

More information on our next DC Diehards meeting topic, Worry Free Investing (WFI), is available at the message board at the DC Diehards website. In particular see message #480, titled "Topic for Sept 13 Meeting will be book, Worry Free Investing."

Link to DC Diehards message board-
http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/D ... ssages?o=1

The meeting will start at 2 PM on Sunday, September 13. As usual, the meeting will be held at the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington DC, in the back portion of the restaurant. The hotel entrance is on Vermont Ave on the northeast side of Thomas Circle. Thomas Circle is the intersection of Massachusetts Ave, 14th St, Vermont Ave, and M St in NW Washington, DC.

Best,
Bob K
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

The next meeting of the DC Diehards will be Sunday, November 1. The topic will be life care annuities.

Presentation – In Sickness and in Health: The Life Care Annuity Idea

Speaker – Dr. Mark Warshawsky

Time – Sunday, November 1, at 3 PM

Location – Arlington central library in Ballston, 2nd floor meeting room

Here are directions to the library.

The Arlington central library is in downtown Ballston 1/2 block north of Fairfax Drive on North Quincy Street on the right (east) side of Quincy street. The Ballston Metro stop is about three blocks west on Fairfax Drive from the intersection with North Quincy Street.

At the corner of Fairfax Drive and North Quincy Street there is a barbecue restaurant on the SW corner and the parking lot for a funeral home on the NE corner.

There is ample free parking at the library in a parking lot just behind the library next to the tennis courts, or in the underground garage which you enter from North Quincy on the NW corner of the library.

Here are directions to the library from the library.
http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/L ... ntral.aspx

And here is a map of Arlington county libraries. The Ballston library is library 1 on the map.
http://www.arlingtonva.us/departments/L ... Hours.aspx

The second floor meeting room is at the south end of the library, just to the left of the glass-enclosed 'quiet' study room.

For more on Mark Warshawsky's presentation see the following thread.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41866

Bob K

PS - A few of us are planning to go out to dinner after the presentation at one of the many Ballston area eateries. :)
Rager1

Change of Date for Next Meeting

Post by Rager1 »

We've changed the date for our next meeting to Saturday, November 14th at 9AM, instead of Sunday, November 15th at 2PM.

The reason for the change is that Rick Ferri will be in town on Saturday and has agreed to be our special guest. He is looking forward to meeting our group and answering any questions we may have.

We'll be meeting at the same place, The Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW, Washington, DC., in the restaurant.

Ed
Adrian K.

lca

Post by Adrian K. »

Hello.

I am a student from Germany and really interested in the topic of life care annuities. Do you know any (American) insurance company offering such a product (or at least a similar one)?

I am looking forward to receive your comments.

Please accept in advance my thanks for any information you can provide.

Best regards

Adrian Kapsch

Adrian: Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum. I moved your post to our "Help" forum for replies. Taylor
Rager1

Re: lca

Post by Rager1 »

Adrian K. wrote:Hello.

I am a student from Germany and really interested in the topic of life care annuities. Do you know any (American) insurance company offering such a product (or at least a similar one)?

I am looking forward to receive your comments.

Please accept in advance my thanks for any information you can provide.

Best regards

Adrian Kapsch
Hi Adrian,

I'm not aware of any American insurance company offering life care annuities at this time, but I also missed the presentation on that subject that our local group hosted last month.

I'm hoping that other local members of our DC group who did attend the presentation will response to your request.

Ed
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Hi Adrian,

Here is a link to my summary of Warshawsky's presentation. To cut to the chase, as of early November Warshawsky was not aware of any insurance company that would be offering a life care annuity either this year or in 2010.

See the next to last paragraph in the summary.

Link:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... sky#588888

Bob K
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

bobcat2 wrote:Hi Adrian,

Here is a link to my summary of Warshawsky's presentation. To cut to the chase, as of early November Warshawsky was not aware of any insurance company that would be offering a life care annuity either this year or in 2010.

See the next to last paragraph in the summary.

Link:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... sky#588888

Bob K
Thanks, Bob.

Ed
Adrian K.

Post by Adrian K. »

Thank you both for your fast and informative reply.

I found some interesting products – they seem to me at least quite similar to a LCA at first glance.

(I am not allowed to post links till now, so I tried to outfox the anti-spam software - so please appologize the difficult "links")

jhannuities dot com slash marketing slash general slash ArticlePage dot aspx?ContentId=3080

oneamerica dot com slash wps slash wcm slash connect slash oa slash OneAmerica slash Individual slash Product+Solutions slash Long+Term+Care+Insurance

gilico dot com slash annuicare dot html
(I did not get the point of that product.)

What do you think about these products – are they in some points comparable with a LCA?

Has a LCA always to be based on an immediate annuity or can it also be based on a deferred annuity?

Thank you very much for your comments.

Best regards

Adrian