Chicago chapter meeting

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements

Chicago chapter meeting

Postby VictoriaF » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:48 am

Is there a Chicago chapter? If yes, are any near-term meetings planned?

I may be spending the next two months in Chicago and would be interested in meeting local Bogleheads.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
User avatar
VictoriaF
 
Posts: 12337
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Postby Socrativestor » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:33 pm

Depends on what the meaning of "is" is... :lol:

There are a number of Bogleheads in Chicago and we did meet for a few times several years ago when the local chapters were getting set up. But somehow we were never able to sustain momentum.

Personally I'd be thrilled to meet (with) you when you are here. And perhaps we could use your visit to try to re-start the group. Additionally / alternatively Alex Frakt lives here, so you might want to contact him.

There is also a (pretty inactive) yahoo group you can join and email to if you like:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chidie/
--Socrativestor | "Neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance."
User avatar
Socrativestor
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:02 am
Location: Chicago

Postby trax » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:54 pm

One year ninja bump... ;)

It looks like the Yahoo group is pretty much dead.

Any reason why? I'm surprised given the fact that a Diehards gathering was held in Chicago a few years ago.

Anybody up for starting a Meetup group?
trax
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:21 am

Postby Socrativestor » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:11 am

trax wrote:One year ninja bump... ;)

It looks like the Yahoo group is pretty much dead.

Any reason why? I'm surprised given the fact that a Diehards gathering was held in Chicago a few years ago.

Anybody up for starting a Meetup group?

I can't explain it, but I'd certainly be interested in an attempt at revival.
--Socrativestor | "Neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance."
User avatar
Socrativestor
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:02 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby bhead33 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:19 pm

I would love to do a meetup too!
bhead33
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby raf1919 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:24 pm

chicago NW burb bump here..

just curious.. whats happens in meets?? can we have Mr Bogle present?? :)
raf1919
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 pm

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby searhapsody » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 am

I'm in Chicago too, and interested in meeting others. Let me know about the meetup
searhapsody
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:17 pm

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby Pacman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Interested as well!
Pacman
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:50 am

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby VINNY » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:40 am

In the Chicagoland burbs as well, Orland Park area, count me in...
VINNY
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:07 pm

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby Bfwolf » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:59 pm

I'd be willing to organize a Chicago meeting. Is there a list of people somewhere I can work from?
Bfwolf
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby rayout » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I would be interested as well.
rayout
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby roosterguy » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:45 pm

I am interested in a Chicago chapter - downtown/Loop ideally.
roosterguy
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby matjen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Count me in.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
User avatar
matjen
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 am

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby Mel Lindauer » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Bfwolf wrote:I'd be willing to organize a Chicago meeting. Is there a list of people somewhere I can work from?


First, there is an existing Chicago Local Chapter #20, but it may be dormant due to either lack of leadership or interest. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 214844&z=4

If you want to revitalize the chapter, let me know via PM. Give me a name and e-mail address I can use to add to the Local Chapters Map. You can then use this Local Chapters sub-forum to communicate with Chapter members and potential members to plan meeting dates, locations, agendas, etc.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
 
Posts: 22304
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby emcgee8 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:16 am

I'd be up for a downtown/loop meeting in Chicago as well.
emcgee8
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Re: Chicago chapter?

Postby rayout » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:07 am

I am looking to re-start the Chicago chapter. Please post if you are interested. I am looking to set up a meeting in the next month or so. First meeting will be informal, we will introduce ourselves to each other, describe investment goals, methods, etc. Weekday evenings work for me since I do not live in the City. I was thinking Friday night would work best.

Anyone know a good venue? A place with good seating and that is not too loud.
rayout
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby ziszew » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:30 am

I'd be up for a meeting as well, although I'm not back in the country until the end of Feb/early Mar.

I think venue will depend on where people are coming from and going to. If there are a lot of Metra folks, we can pick something that way. If most are heading north on 90/94 and LSD, something on Ohio/Grand/Ontario might work better.

I think getting an idea of numbers would help; anyone interested can post here or PM me with preferred day of the week and location. I'm currently on Asia time so responses might take a bit as I'm 14 hours "off" EST. Once we get an idea of how many and were is preferred we can pick a spot that works.
ziszew
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:47 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby Pacman » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Interested here as well. Friday night would work. Can't think of a venue right now, but I will try to come up with a few.
Pacman
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:50 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby rayout » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:34 pm

ziszew wrote:I'd be up for a meeting as well, although I'm not back in the country until the end of Feb/early Mar.

I think venue will depend on where people are coming from and going to. If there are a lot of Metra folks, we can pick something that way. If most are heading north on 90/94 and LSD, something on Ohio/Grand/Ontario might work better.

I think getting an idea of numbers would help; anyone interested can post here or PM me with preferred day of the week and location. I'm currently on Asia time so responses might take a bit as I'm 14 hours "off" EST. Once we get an idea of how many and were is preferred we can pick a spot that works.


Ziszew, I've already asked Mel to set me up as the local coordinator for the chapter. For ease of coordination I'd prefer everyone to post in this thread for now so we can all get a sense of who is interested. Please let me know if you received any PMs that were not posted here.
rayout
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby bhead33 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:18 am

I am definitely interested in a meeting. We could meet at the Wit hotels restaurant - "State and Lake" - its not loud (I think) but might be a little expensive.

I can also book the event room in my apartment building for free [could find out more if people are interested].
bhead33
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby rayout » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:21 am

bhead33 wrote:I am definitely interested in a meeting. We could meet at the Wit hotels restaurant - "State and Lake" - its not loud (I think) but might be a little expensive.

I can also book the event room in my apartment building for free [could find out more if people are interested].


Whats the address or nearest intersection for your apartment building?
rayout
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby ziszew » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:27 am

rayout wrote:
Ziszew, I've already asked Mel to set me up as the local coordinator for the chapter. For ease of coordination I'd prefer everyone to post in this thread for now so we can all get a sense of who is interested. Please let me know if you received any PMs that were not posted here.


Sounds good (and less work for me :happy ). Everyone has posted on here as well so nothing further needed.
ziszew
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:47 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby gsmith » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:37 am

As much as I hate "me too" posts, I'd be interested in attending as well.

Thanks!
gsmith
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:02 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby Paul V » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:24 pm

Count me in. I live in the NW burbs and work downtown.
Paul V
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:20 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby michey312 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:23 pm

I am interested in attending if it is downtown.
michey312
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby Socrativestor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:53 am

I'm interested too ...
--Socrativestor | "Neither of us has any knowledge to boast of, but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance."
User avatar
Socrativestor
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:02 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby OnFire » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:43 am

I am in. Mt. Greenwood/Oak Lawn area and willing to travel.
Where are all the customers yachts?
User avatar
OnFire
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:48 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby Transition » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 am

Count me in.

Transition
Transition
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby bhead33 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 pm

is anything happening here or has the momentum been lost already ?
bhead33
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby rayout » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Still planning on going ahead with this but been quite busy! Looking to schedule this for March 15th - how does this work for everyone's schedule?
rayout
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby Transition » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:12 am

That date is good for me. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Transition
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:02 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby Chicago Lion » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:47 pm

I would be interested. I live in Naperville. What about Oak park for a Location? Pretty central from a North/South perspective. Also the L runs out there and for those of us in the burbs its not too far of a drive.
Chicago Lion
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:07 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby Chicago Lion » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:59 pm

Thinking about it, we might be able to find a restaurant that has a room you can reserve. As long as we all order dinner there is often no charge. I don't know if they offer those rooms on a Friday or not. Maggiano's has these rooms for sure as I have been to dinners in the Chicago and Naperville in their private rooms. There is a Giordanos in Oak Park. I don't know if they have a private room or not.
Chicago Lion
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:07 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby matjen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Date should work for me. I'm OK with Chicago or Oak Park, etc.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
User avatar
matjen
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby agill99 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:34 pm

I am interested also. The date and tentative place(s) (Chicago or Oak Park) work for me.

Thanks for organizing this!
agill99
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby BHawks87 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:07 pm

Chicago Lion wrote:Thinking about it, we might be able to find a restaurant that has a room you can reserve. As long as we all order dinner there is often no charge. I don't know if they offer those rooms on a Friday or not. Maggiano's has these rooms for sure as I have been to dinners in the Chicago and Naperville in their private rooms. There is a Giordanos in Oak Park. I don't know if they have a private room or not.



Magianos :shock: I thought we were bogleheads!

How about McDonald's :mrgreen:
BHawks87
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 3:03 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby agill99 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:37 pm

BHawks87 wrote:
Chicago Lion wrote:Thinking about it, we might be able to find a restaurant that has a room you can reserve. As long as we all order dinner there is often no charge. I don't know if they offer those rooms on a Friday or not. Maggiano's has these rooms for sure as I have been to dinners in the Chicago and Naperville in their private rooms. There is a Giordanos in Oak Park. I don't know if they have a private room or not.



Magianos :shock: I thought we were bogleheads!

How about McDonald's :mrgreen:


There's a Denny's on Harlem in Oak Park. :mrgreen:
agill99
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby mlipps » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 pm

I could attend Mar. 15. I live/work in Rogers Park so anything but downtown is sort of a trek for me, but I'd make the effort as long it's not way out in Kane County or anything crazy.

ETA: What about the ING Cafe at Water Tower? (OK, Capital One 360 Cafe now). Last I was there they had repainted and were working on opening new rooms to host meetings. Based on their coffee prices, I'd expect it's pretty inexpensive, if not free.
mlipps
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby Bfwolf » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Sounds great. I'd love to drop by for a drink and meet some folks.
Bfwolf
 
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:19 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby bhead33 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:35 am

I am in for downtown and second ING Cafe.
bhead33
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby michey312 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Are we going to confirm a date? Seems like the former ING space will work.
michey312
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby ziszew » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:47 pm

michey312 wrote:Are we going to confirm a date? Seems like the former ING space will work.


Next week works; I think the key is to get the ball rolling with the first one and go from there.

Earlier people were kicking around Friday as the preferred day of the week.

Does the 15th work for those that can make ING Cafe (or whatever the advertiser's have paid to call it)?
ziszew
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:47 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby matjen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:38 am

That works for me as does ING Cafe.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
User avatar
matjen
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:30 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby rayout » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:30 am

ziszew wrote:
michey312 wrote:Are we going to confirm a date? Seems like the former ING space will work.


Next week works; I think the key is to get the ball rolling with the first one and go from there.

Earlier people were kicking around Friday as the preferred day of the week.

Does the 15th work for those that can make ING Cafe (or whatever the advertiser's have paid to call it)?


Sorry procrastinating and for not getting the ball rolling sooner - been pretty swamped between work and chairing and event for another organization. I will be sending out messages to all who have expressed interest and request e-mails to get a mailing list going.

Our first meeting will be March 15th at the Capital One 360 Cafe (formerly ING cafe): 21 E. Chestnut Street
Chicago, IL 60611

How does 6 PM sound for everyone?


First meeting will have no set agenda, just introductions (and describing your investing style/methods and goals).

Looks like the cafe closes at 6 PM: http://cafes.capitalone360.com/chicago/ - maybe we need to find another venue?

Another option as far as future venues go: I've asked and gotten tentative permission from my company to have use of our Chicago office's rooftop (complete with grill) when the weather warms up.
rayout
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby Freg » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:17 am

Hello,
I may be interested in the chapter meeting. Once I know when, I'll know if I can go. Unfortunately, my work schedule is all over the place.
Freg
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby michey312 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:45 pm

What if we did a breakfast meeting instead? Perhaps we could use the Capital space.

Another option is Red Violet 121 W Hubbard St Chicago, IL 60654 - the menu is $15-30 entres, but they will give us the entire downstairs as private space.

Does anyone have membership to mid-america or the metropolitan club? That might be a good option for meeting space.
michey312
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:54 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby bhead33 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:25 pm

michey312 wrote:What if we did a breakfast meeting instead? Perhaps we could use the Capital space.

Another option is Red Violet 121 W Hubbard St Chicago, IL 60654 - the menu is $15-30 entres, but they will give us the entire downstairs as private space.

Does anyone have membership to mid-america or the metropolitan club? That might be a good option for meeting space.


Cant do breakfast unless its on Saturday. Lets do red violet on Friday at 6 pm ?
bhead33
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby Alex Frakt » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:39 pm

bhead33 wrote:
michey312 wrote:What if we did a breakfast meeting instead? Perhaps we could use the Capital space.

Another option is Red Violet 121 W Hubbard St Chicago, IL 60654 - the menu is $15-30 entres, but they will give us the entire downstairs as private space.


Cant do breakfast unless its on Saturday. Lets do red violet on Friday at 6 pm ?

I can usually do breakfast any day except Saturday :-(

I'm up for Red Violet though.

If we want cheap, we can meet in my office on the corner of Belmont and Pulaski in the former Florsheim factory. We only use it for consultations on Saturdays and the occasional Wednesday evening, so it's available at any other times. We've got parking or it's about a mile west of the Belmont Blue Line stop. You can also take the 77 Belmont bus from the Brown/Red lines if you have plenty of time :-)
Alex Frakt
Founder
 
Posts: 9600
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby ziszew » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Alex Frakt wrote:
bhead33 wrote:
michey312 wrote:What if we did a breakfast meeting instead? Perhaps we could use the Capital space.

Another option is Red Violet 121 W Hubbard St Chicago, IL 60654 - the menu is $15-30 entres, but they will give us the entire downstairs as private space.


Cant do breakfast unless its on Saturday. Lets do red violet on Friday at 6 pm ?

I can usually do breakfast any day except Saturday :-(

I'm up for Red Violet though.

If we want cheap, we can meet in my office on the corner of Belmont and Pulaski in the former Florsheim factory. We only use it for consultations on Saturdays and the occasional Wednesday evening, so it's available at any other times. We've got parking or it's about a mile west of the Belmont Blue Line stop. You can also take the 77 Belmont bus from the Brown/Red lines if you have plenty of time :-)


If it's a question of space, we can meet in one of the community rooms at my condo building in Streeterville; straight shot to/from 90/94 on Ohio and Ontario, easy access to LSD and not too far from downtown. There's a pizza place a block away (Brooklyn style thin crust that is quite good) and we can pick up beer/wine from the Dominick's two blocks away. Cheaper than going to a restaurant and the space would be ours for the night. As long as we're under 60+ people the space is big enough; we just need to provide the food and booze.

I can reserve it and give the pizza place a heads up if people are interested...

Edit: there's also an Irish bar, Chipotle, Potbelly's, Epic Burger, Pei Wei, etc within about two blocks so all tastes can be accommodated
Last edited by ziszew on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ziszew
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 12:47 am

Re: Chicago chapter meeting

Postby mlipps » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:16 pm

If take Streeterville over anywhere west of the Blue Line any day, and probably won't come if its at a restaurant.
mlipps
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 am

Next

Return to Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: taegirain3 and 1 guest