Sacramento, CA Area Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
lucywatkins1

Sacramento, CA Area Bogleheads

Post by lucywatkins1 »

Looking for Bogleheads in the Sacramento, CA area.
Gmaloof

Post by Gmaloof »

Present and accounted for.
Mel Lindauer

Re: Bogleheads in Sacramento, CA

Post by Mel Lindauer »

lucywatkins1 wrote:Looking for Bogleheads in the Sacramento, CA area.
Hi Lucy:

If you get five or more Bogleheads in the Sacramento area who want to get together and one of you agrees to be the Local Chapter coordinator (that person doesn't have to be an investing guru -- they just schedule meeting dates and locations and communicate with the other members), then I'll assign the next available Local Chapter number to your group and you'll be in business. I'll also add your group's contact information on the Diehards Local Chapters Map so that others will be able to find and contact you.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
krmann

Sacramento

Post by krmann »

Count me in.
Kate
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

That would be nice. It depends on how far I would have to travel to the meetings, because I live in the foothills.
CAgal

Post by CAgal »

Count me also.
Allocationist

Post by Allocationist »

I live nearby and would be interested in connecting.

Bob
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

I'll be living in Davis starting in September.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
garyn

Post by garyn »

Would love to connect with some like minded folks in the Sacramento, Woodland, Davis area. Please count me in!
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Looks like you've got enough interested Bogleheads to start a local chapter. All we need now is for someone to step forward and agree to be the Local Chapter coordinator. Once that person contacts me via PM, I'll set your chapter up and you'll be in business.

Good luck!
Lon

Sacramento Area Boglehead

Post by Lon »

Septuagenarian Boglehead here in Roseville. :D
vv19

Re: SACRAMENTO, CA AREA BOGLEHEADS

Post by vv19 »

Do we still have a Sacramento area group? I recently moved here and would be interested in joining you guys in your next meeting.
sdsailing

Post by sdsailing »

I'm In Sacramento area 1/2 time and would be interested.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

All we need to get things going is for someone to agree to be the Local Chapter Coordinator. That person doesn't have to be an investing guru, but simply communicates with members regarding meeting dates, times and locations.

Anyone interested in stepping up? If so, PM me and we'll get your group going.
epilnk

Post by epilnk »

I'm here, but I'm not clear on what the purpose of meeting would be since I use a "set it and forget it" portfolio, with emphasis on the "forget it". Do you have a vision of what a local chapter might do?
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

I live in the area and would be interested depending on topics.
Alotoftravel

Post by Alotoftravel »

Count me in. I am planning to move to the area. Looking to retire in your beautiful neighborhood .
digarei

Post by digarei »

I joined the Bogleheads forum a week or two after the last time this old thread was updated so perhaps it would be worthwhile to bump it again....

There are more than two million residents in the Sacramento area. I'm guessing that there are more bogleheads here and in Davis, Dixon, Roseville, Elk Grove, Citrus Heights, Carmichael, West Sac., Rancho Cordova, Folsom, Rocklin, Granite Bay, Yuba City.... who'd be interested in meeting each other over an inexpensive lunch or coffee/brunch than the handful that have posted on this thread.

- Possible Topics -

What's your present asset allocation? (and how did you arrive at it?)
What's your most pressing concern?
What do you still feel you need to know in managing your finances?

Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

I also am in Sacramento area and would like to know if meetings are scheduled.
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

Has anyone agreed to be moderator ?
digarei

Post by digarei »

epilnk wrote:I'm here, but I'm not clear on what the purpose of meeting would be since I use a "set it and forget it" portfolio, with emphasis on the "forget it". Do you have a vision of what a local chapter might do?
 "Do you have a vision of what a local chapter might do?"

It's a dicey thing, meeting people for the first time—even like-minded people who you're likely to find have similar interests (investing, budgeting, reaching - or maintaining - financial independence, learning new things) and I personally detest it, wondering if I'll be bored, fearful that I'll say something really dumb--or come off as being too smart and pretentious. Am I alone in this?  Perhaps.

But I would like to meet others like me... because although I've been an investor for 12+ years I realize that

1) I don't always know what I don't know. I'd like to hear on a more personal level about how others have succeeded in reaching their financial goals and the mistakes they may have made along the way. My preferred learning style is through reading; browsing the forum and perusing investment books fit well into that mode. But face to face communication often provokes associative thoughts and discovery in the conveyance of meaning, emphasis and nuance that words on a screen cannot equal.

Hearing the highly articulate John Bogle speak for the first time (on Bill Moyers') forever changed how I interpreted (heard) his words in books and interviews since then. 

2) I may have something to offer, too, in what I've learned since I started my path to FI that may hit home for someone else.  I'd be happy to share what I know with fellow travelers.

3) Most of us have a need for affirmation in our investing decisions ("investing is not a science", after all) and an occasional gathering provides a new venue for exchange of information specific to the needs and interests of the participants.

I was encouraged reading comments from those attending the annual Bogleheads meeting in Philadelphia. The most common general remark was how friendly everyone was. (For the record, that's the only kind of meeting I'm interested in supporting or attending.)

That's my vision for the Sacramento chapter.  I'd like to hear from others who are similarly inclined.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the link under my user info/avatar.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Thanks for trying to gauge interest again. I'd be interested in meeting up, and I like your vision for what the meeting would be.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
vv19

Post by vv19 »

digarei, you raised some very valid points. I'd certainly be interested in meeting fellow BHs in this area.
l82start

Re: Sacramento, CA Area Bogleheads

Post by l82start »

yes count me as being interested as well.
"You can't become a bloody fiscal hermit crab every time the Nikkei undergoes a self correction! Asia's market has nowhere to go but up! " stewie griffin
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Snapper wrote:Has anyone agreed to be moderator ?
I've had a discussion with one member who may well agree to be the chapter coordinator. I'm just waiting to hear back with the final decision.
DrWeed

Post by DrWeed »

Count me in
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

OK, it's official. Greg (digarei) has stepped forward and agreed to the Sacramento Local Chapter coordinator. Your Sacramento group will be Local Chapter #61 and will be added to the Local Chapters Map.

You're in business! You can use this sub-forum to communicate with each other.

All the best to the members of the newest Local Chapter!
digarei

Post by digarei »

Just a quick note reminding Bogleheads who live or work in the Sacramento area that we are starting a group, set to meet for the first time in April (next month). You can join us or receive more information by sending an e-mail, with your first name and BH user name to the address below.

Current (charter) members: If you haven't already done so, please send me your first name, forum user name and an email address where you can be reached (will be kept confidential) to:

Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com

Also, there are several forum members who have expressed interest in joining our group but haven't picked up PMs sent to them. Please check your private messages!

Thanks,

Greg ("digarei")

Chapter Coordinator
Sacramento Area Bogleheads
Chapter #61

Edited to ask *all* Sacramento Bogleheads members to send email to group mailbox.
digarei

Post by digarei »

digarei wrote:Just a quick note reminding Bogleheads who live or work in the Sacramento area that we are starting a group, set to meet for the first time in April (next month). You can join us or receive more information by sending an e-mail, with your first name and BH user name to the address below.

Current (charter) members: If you haven't already done so, please send me your first name, forum user name and an email address where you can be reached (will be kept confidential) to:

Sacramento.Bogleheads@gmail.com

Also, there are several forum members who have expressed interest in joining our group but haven't picked up PMs sent to them. Please check your private messages!

Thanks,

Greg ("digarei")

Chapter Coordinator
Sacramento Area Bogleheads
Chapter #61
Just bumping this thread to alert Sacramento area forum members to our existence.

Look for a meeting announcement to be posted on Monday or Tuesday in this forum in a new thread.

Thanks!

Greg
digarei

Post by digarei »

I have started a new Master Thread for the Sacramento Area chapter of Bogleheads. The first post will be updated as needed for announcements of upcoming meetings, etc.

If the URL link below is saved to the "desktop" on your computer you can use it to check on current information without having to search for the thread topic or "Sacramento". The forum software also provides ways to mark a specific post or topic (thread) for later reading: Subscribe topic and Bookmark topic -- they appear in the lower left of your screen when viewing a topic or post. As far as I know both of these forum-provided solutions require that you log into the forum with your user name and password to view the thread. The URL below does not require logon.

Sacramento, CA Area Chapter - Master Thread

Thanks for reading.