Eastern Oregon and Wash, Idaho, Montana Virtual chapter

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements

Eastern Oregon and Wash, Idaho, Montana Virtual chapter

Postby Cuprum » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:20 pm

I see on the Local Chapters map that there is a void of local chapters in Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Even though it doesn't make sense to meet face-to-face due to the driving time, is there enough interest to create a 'virtual local chapter' to meet online?

:D
Cuprum

Re: Eastern Oregon and Wash, Idaho, Montana Virtual chapter

Postby Kilimanjaro » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:37 pm

Cuprum wrote:I see on the Local Chapters map that there is a void of local chapters in Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Even though it doesn't make sense to meet face-to-face due to the driving time, is there enough interest to create a 'virtual local chapter' to meet online?

I think that would be good idea, especially if we could include Central Oregon!
Kilimanjaro

Postby stratton » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:18 pm

If you decide to meet the most "central" place is probably the confluence of the WA, ID and OR borders.

Equally bad for everyone! :P

Paul
stratton

Postby wingnutty » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:31 pm

Montana representing here. But, even though I'm in MT, I'm about 1/2 way across the country from you guys: it takes me 10 hrs to get to the WA border!
wingnutty

Postby joe8d » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:34 pm

Cuprum, after seeing your post I just want to make a suggestion on an idea I've had for some time.That would be to utilize YAHOO Messenger and it's conference with voice feature to form live online discussion groups.The groups could be targeted to specific areas of interest for such segments as retiree's,fed employees,military etc and allow small groups to communicate with each other in voice on various issues particular to that group.
All the Best, | Joe
joe8d

Postby RobG » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:50 pm

'nother mt person here, probably only 6 hours from nutty. There is one other guy in town, and a person in Billings, but I'm not sure if they are active here any more. Geographical center would be the Frank Church Wilderness so the only question would be if we should meet during hunting or fishing season.

rg
RobG

Re: Eastern Oregon and Wash, Idaho, Montana Virtual chapter

Postby idahospud » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:57 am

Cuprum wrote:I see on the Local Chapters map that there is a void of local chapters in Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana. Even though it doesn't make sense to meet face-to-face due to the driving time, is there enough interest to create a 'virtual local chapter' to meet online?

Hi Cuprum. Welcome to the Forum.

I wonder what the benefit of a 'virtual local chapter' would be. This forum is already virtual.
A Boglehead chapter that meets once in a while in a local restaurant, hotel or inn has the benefit that a social gathering of like-minded investors will bring about. You can converse over a beer, meet new people, invite a speaker, organize other activities.

I might very well be missing something but what could a virtual chapter do that this board (and the expertise coming with it) cannot?
idahospud

Postby Dynastar » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:21 am

wingnutty wrote:Montana representing here. But, even though I'm in MT, I'm about 1/2 way across the country from you guys: it takes me 10 hrs to get to the WA border!

Glendive/Miles City? I'm formerly of Chinook, but now living in the metropolis known as Billings.
Dynastar

Postby Cuprum » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:17 am

Wingnutty, Kilimanjaro, stratton, joe8d, RobG, idahospud, and Dynastar, thank you all for your response. You raise some good points, and I think I’ll back off from the ‘virtual local group’ suggestion for now (but if we do end up doing it, it will include central Oregon and Washington). Idahospud, I see your point. When I suggested a virtual local group I was thinking of a NW regional economic focus with a format similar to what joe8d is suggesting. That said, a focus group targeted to specific areas of interest makes better sense than carving out a geographical area. So for now, I’m dropping the idea of the virtual local group.
Cuprum

Postby Istvan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:43 pm

I'd support a Central Oregon chapter.
Istvan

Return to Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community