SIGN PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
shawcroft

Re: SIGN PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Fre

Post by shawcroft »

Alex:
You're right. We need a full-court press on this one.
Shawcroft
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Signed it. He is the only one out there for common retail investors. Cannot understand why the index fund inventor, was not awarded already.

Also, I cam curious, Are there any restrictions on the citizenship/location of the people to sign?
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

Next steps are posted at 2. PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=158107
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I've gotten several positive responses from some of my media contacts. Let's see how it plays out.

In the meantime, contact your friends as well as anyone else you think can help get the word out. It's an uphill battle, but we can do it if everyone works hard to get others involved.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

Thanks, Mel. If we can get people to tweet the link and blog it, it's very easy to click through and sign the petition.
JPH

Post by JPH »

Did it.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
chaz

Re: Where is John C. Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom?

Post by chaz »

dolphinsaremammals wrote:Talk to your Congresscritter's office.
Yes!
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Gropes & Ray wrote:Thanks, Mel. If we can get people to tweet the link and blog it, it's very easy to click through and sign the petition.
Yes, I Tweeted it and put it on my Facebook page. It would be nice if everyone did the same.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

Next steps are posted at 2. PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 9&t=158107

I can't help you move this forward if no one acts together to get a viral mass.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

Postby Mel Lindauer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Gropes & Ray wrote:
nisiprius wrote:
I sent Vanguard a message through the "contact us" mechanism in my account, and got, as expected, a non-response. My own fault though as I couldn't think of anything specific to ask them to do.

Circulate the petition among their employees? There are thousands, are there not?
May I suggest that even if Vanguard management allowed a post to all employees, that group of people would be somewhat suspect as petitioners? Think about it. If Jamie Dimon were nominated and thousands of Chase employees signed the petition, what would you think?
AllySK

Post by AllySK »

People like supporting things that already have a lot of support... I'd first make sure all active Bogleheads sign the petition - post a message on the homepage (temporarily) and/or send an email to all registered users. Then try to get personal finance bloggers/websites to pick it up. Lots of them are fans of Vanguard mutual funds so it shouldn't be a hard sell. :) Then if we got a critical mass, mainstream media might pick it up...
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

Media campaign is already underway. See Mel's posts earlier in the thread. Now we need to build momentum so the journalists find something building when they visit the petition.

The petition is at 426 signatures. The petition expires on March 13.

Next steps are posted at 2. PETITION FOR Jack Bogle's Presidential Medal of Freedom. We could really use some help contacting the members of the Finance Committees.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

AllySK wrote: I'd first make sure all active Bogleheads sign the petition - post a message on the homepage (temporarily) and/or send an email to all registered users.
I'm not going to do either of those things. The first suggestion seems self-serving to me. I'm happy to provide a place for people to discuss it and I signed the petition myself, but if I'm pushing it on the homepage, I just think it makes it too easy for others to dismiss this as an astroturfing campaign. The latter suggestion would be a violation of our policies. We have a limited set of circumstances under which we will contact our members and advocating for a cause, no matter how worthy, is not one of them.

Edit: Depending on how things go, I may revisit the former in a couple of weeks, but we definitely won't be doing a mass PM or e-mail.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

This post currently has about 5000 page views.... not quite as many as the " how to plow my 400' driveway". That's a little disheartening.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

pennstater2005 wrote:This post currently has about 5000 page views.... not quite as many as the " how to plow my 400' driveway". That's a little disheartening.
Don't worry about it. People are coming on once, voting and then moving on. There is no reason to recheck the conversation. This petition isn't going to make it on the strength of this forum alone. If we can't recruit outside help to spread the word, it won't make it. We have plenty of time to spread the word, and couple of good days will get us there. As someone pointed out earlier, many petitions are reviewed even if they don't hit the 100k threshold.
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

Pat,

The folks over at bogleheads.org have a petition on whitehouse.gov asking the President to give John Bogle the Presidential Medal of Freedom. As you know, Mr. Bogle transformed the mutual fund industry by creating the first index fund available to individual investors. His work has reduced the costs of investing for average Americans. I estimate that his work will save Vanguard investors $27 billion this year alone, even without considering all of the other investment companies that were forced to follow his model in order to compete. For leveling the playing field for the little guy, he deserves some recognition. Will you please sign the petition, tweet the petition link to your followers, and have someone point this effort out to the Whitehouse? Thanks.
My message to Pat Toomey, one of my two senators. He is on several financial and banking committees. I hope some of my fellow Pennsylvanians will send a similar message to get his attention.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

+1 Gropes and Ray

I added a check for Toomey to the spreadsheet.
Anyone else interested in helping get a targeted campaign rolling?
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p2372397
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

runner9 wrote:To whoever created the petition text: is it possible to edit to change "countries" to "country's" in the last line, as it's possessive, not plural?
If possible, this would help with credibility, IMO.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
xenial

Post by xenial »

ObliviousInvestor wrote:
runner9 wrote:To whoever created the petition text: is it possible to edit to change "countries" to "country's" in the last line, as it's possessive, not plural?
If possible, this would help with credibility, IMO.
Petitions aren't editable. To see this, click "Helpful Hints" on the petition creation page.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Gropes & Ray wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:This post currently has about 5000 page views.... not quite as many as the " how to plow my 400' driveway". That's a little disheartening.
Don't worry about it. People are coming on once, voting and then moving on. There is no reason to recheck the conversation. This petition isn't going to make it on the strength of this forum alone. If we can't recruit outside help to spread the word, it won't make it. We have plenty of time to spread the word, and couple of good days will get us there. As someone pointed out earlier, many petitions are reviewed even if they don't hit the 100k threshold.
I get that it will take outside help to get that many signatures. I guess I'm saying that with five thousand page views (I know people revisit the page) and only 662 signatures we need more registered users from this forum to sign.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
shum

Nominate Bogle for Presidential Medal of Freedom

Post by shum »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti ... m/tMKz5zyh
-shum
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Signed it! He certainly earned it!

On a side note, I'm writing to Marvel comics to introduce a new Superhero named St. Jack. I'm on the fence if his costume will have a cape or wings.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
chaz

Re: Nominate Bogle for Presidential Medal of Freedom

Post by chaz »

Already a thread on this subject.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=157895&newpost=2374699
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
shum

Re: Nominate Bogle for Presidential Medal of Freedom

Post by shum »

Thanks Chaz.

No harm though as this keeps on the top of the list for a while longer.
-shum
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Signed. Only 696 signatures? I can probably get 10 from my pension committee alone.

Let's go Bogleheads!
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I signed! Thanks Mr. Bogle and the Bogleheads, you saved my retirement!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I moved shum's thread into here.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Both my wife and I sign the petition. I am going to forward to my folks and sister as well.

Thanks!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Petrocelli wrote:Signed. Only 696 signatures? I can probably get 10 from my pension committee alone.

Let's go Bogleheads!
Good. We can use all the help we can get, Petro.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

How many signatures are needed in total?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

100k for a guaranteed response, but someone pointed out earlier that petitions with fewer signatures (around 20k) sometimes get responses.
LowER

Post by LowER »

Signed it.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Have you added your name to the petition? If not, please do so now.
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

Who's Jack Bogle, what's an index fund, isn't Vanguard a disco club? Sadly, these are responses from the general American public, who are mostly unaware of the fact that a Presidential Medal of Freedom even exists.

Now if Jack would only post a twerking video on youtube or have Kim Kardashian tweet her recommendation of him, he'd have a million signatures in about an hour.

Proud to be one of the few that still prides quality over quantity, in a world that seems to be obsessed with the number of "likes" over who is actually doing the liking.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Is it possible to vote more than once? You know, stuff the ballot box? We used to do that all the time in Chicago.
Gordon
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

gkaplan wrote:Is it possible to vote more than once? You know, stuff the ballot box? We used to do that all the time in Chicago.
You can certainly get your entire family to vote. That would help.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Signed.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Really sad and disappointing to see that we still haven't even reached 1000 signatures.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

My expectation that with 43,000 Bogleheads and counting (may be 10,000 are active and may have seen the thread) that by my guess there would be 5000 signitures. 1000 Bogleheads would have signed the petition by now, 3000 significant others and 1000 lurkers/visitors.

This is not my field of expertise and my explanation for there is no tsunami of signatures of the petition:
1. the forum is set up is to take the emotion out of threads (other then the Mister Money Mustache thread, Petrocelli $ 5000 watch thread , and Edward Jones threads). I checked out the Wikepedia of people of got a Presential Medal and I was amazed and I leave it at that.
Emotion is what drives people to sign petitions.
2. Social pressure may also a driving force (no pressure on Bogleheads since this is an anonymous website and a disparate group of posters).

I have discussed John Bogle's books, Boglehead website with family, friends and acquintances. It would save them thousands and thousands of dollars and give them a sense of control over their lifes. Other then my spouse and adult child, they have no interest or maybe even find it threatening (conjecture).

It is ironic that if John Bogle had decided to go for the big bucks and become multi billioniare instead of creating the platform where the retail investor has a change on creating a retirement, Bogle may have already a Presidential Medal and some buildings named after him.

I am very grateful to John C Bogle for who he is and what he stands for.

He is a great man.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
aj44

Post by aj44 »

It is easy to be lazy with this, I seen it a couple days ago and thought "yeah I should sign this" and then felt bad today I hadn't yet, so I just did.
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Signed.

We're going to need A LOT more months and there is only one month left. We need more than 99,000 additional votes.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

I am signature 117 and think that Mr. Bogle is very deserving of national recognition but if these award things were all based on merit Pete Rose would be in the Hall of Fame.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Please sign the petition here....

http://wh.gov/ibTyb
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

The pace was slow over the weekend, but we'll catch more people as they surf at work. Keep in mind that it may take us a week or so to get linked by some of the blogs, but hopefully when that happens, we'll get a big jump in a few days.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Mel Lindauer wrote:Really sad and disappointing to see that we still haven't even reached 1000 signatures.
Mr. Lindauer, thanks to you - and the others - for your continuing efforts in this matter.

I, too, am disappointed. I figure that anyone who is now enjoying the benefits of a low cost, cap weighted, index fund is in part the beneficiary of Mr. Bogle's tireless efforts to spread the word about this financial product. I'm guessing if it weren't for Mr. Bogle's efforts the cost of investing would be a lot higher for a large number of us. And, a number of us would have a lot less money than we do now and little hope for securing a comfortable retirement and / or financial independence. In my case, if I were paying industry average ERs vs. low cost index ERs, my annual income from the portfolio would be cut in half. I'm sure the size of the portfolio would also be reduced and that would have an additional negative impact on annual income streams.

I'm reminded of the parable of the 10th leper. In that case, the number of recipients of a good gift who thought enough to come back and say thanks were 1 in 10. As Bogleheads, we're currently running behind that rate at expressing gratitude. Mr. Bogle's gift to us may not be as large as the gift to the leper. But, all we're being asked to do is sign the petition as a way of saying thanks. I signed.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

RadAudit wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:Really sad and disappointing to see that we still haven't even reached 1000 signatures.
Mr. Lindauer, thanks to you - and the others - for your continuing efforts in this matter.

I, too, am disappointed. I figure that anyone who is now enjoying the benefits of a low cost, cap weighted, index fund is in part the beneficiary of Mr. Bogle's tireless efforts to spread the word about this financial product. I'm guessing if it weren't for Mr. Bogle's efforts the cost of investing would be a lot higher for a large number of us. And, a number of us would have a lot less money than we do now and little hope for securing a comfortable retirement and / or financial independence. In my case, if I were paying industry average ERs vs. low cost index ERs, my annual income from the portfolio would be cut in half. I'm sure the size of the portfolio would also be reduced and that would have an additional negative impact on annual income streams.

I'm reminded of the parable of the 10th leper. In that case, the number of recipients of a good gift who thought enough to come back and say thanks were 1 in 10. As Bogleheads, we're currently running behind that rate at expressing gratitude. Mr. Bogle's gift to us may not be as large as the gift to the leper. But, all we're being asked to do is sign the petition as a way of saying thanks. I signed.
Yes, RadAudit, even non-Vanguard investors have benefited from Jack's work, since they were forced to reduce costs in order to compete (witness the Fidelity Spartan funds, for one example).
elchris

Post by elchris »

EyeYield wrote:
Now if Jack would only post a twerking video on youtube or have Kim Kardashian tweet her recommendation of him, he'd have a million signatures in about an hour.
Says something about the values of today's society unfortunately!!

Signed
matjen

Post by matjen »

Signed awhile ago. Jack Bogle deserves it.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.