Master Thread - Greenville Metro Bogleheads

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Snow Boarder

Master Thread - Greenville Metro Bogleheads

Post by Snow Boarder »

Welcome to the Greenville Metro Bogleheads Master Thread.
Greenville Metro covers Upstate & Central South Carolina, Western North Carolina and even some of Eastern Georgia.

All Bogleheads (new and mature) are welcome so feel free to bring along with you your spouse/friend/coworker. GMBH is a relatively new but very active chapter and we keep growing month after month. If you want to be on our mailing list, send a request to greenvillebogleheads@gmail.com. Also, you can subscribe to this topic by making a post on this thread or clicking the words "Subscribe Topic" at the bottom of this thread.

Everyone is encouraged to watch 10 short videos (~4 minute each) on the Boglehead Investment Philosophy as our meetings usually tie into them somehow.
Introduction to the Boglehead Investment Philosophy - Video Format
Introduction to the Boglehead Investment Philosophy - Written Format

Meeting Details.
When: Once a month on Saturday Mornings (Actual dates are based on library availability).
Where: Simpsonville Public Library. Address, Map and Telephone Number
What Time: 9:30-11:30AM.

General Agenda.
9:30 - 9:45 Tips & Traps - from your experiences.
9:45 - 10:30 1st Discussion Topic.
10:30 - 11:15 2nd Discussion Topic.
11:15 - 11:30 Designate Discussion Leaders & Topics for next meeting.

Please RSVP to greenvillebogleheads@gmail.com for each meeting you plan on attending!
Snow Boarder
Last edited by Snow Boarder on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:39 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Greenville (SC) Chapter Coordinator | greenvillebogleheads@gmail.com
Topic Author
Snow Boarder

Re: Master Thread - Greenville Metro Bogleheads

Post by Snow Boarder »

Future GMBH Meeting Dates.
To make it easy, you will always find the dates for future GMBH meetings on the second post of this thread.
The library lets me schedule the conference room up to 3 months in the future.
As the new dates are known I will add/edit them to this post.

Also, a post will be added to this thread for each meeting to outline the topic we will be discussing.
The next GMBH 2015 meeting is:
January 24th.
Last edited by Snow Boarder on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
Topic Author
Snow Boarder

Post by Snow Boarder »

The master thread is intended to be an information thread for the chapter members to keep on top of the goings on here at GMBH.
A successful master thread will have a high number of views and a moderate number of posts (mtg feedback) indicating that people come here for the information. I will create links to individual mtg threads where you are encouraged to post any comments you want (Y/N attendance, discussion topic suggestions, other questions etc).

The nice thing is you will be able to access the current (and all past) meeting threads from the list of links below so everything about GMBH can be accessed through this particular post.

To best use the master thread, subscribe to the thread and then adjust your settings to receive email notifications when it is replied to.
Wiki FAQ: How do I subscribe to a thread and receive email notifcations if it is replied to? (IMPORTANT)

Here are the links to all current and past GMBH meeting threads.
Last edited by Snow Boarder on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:59 am, edited 11 times in total.
Topic Author
Snow Boarder

Post by Snow Boarder »

August 23, 2014.
The topic this month is the Boglehead Investment Philosophy (BIP).

What better place to start off then a discussion of the 10 core principles of the Boglehead style of investing.
We chose to have only 1 topic this month since we are expecting it to create so much discussion(Q&A).
All of the material was taken from bogleheads.org so you know it is authentic.
Rich K. will lead the discussion and will have a powerpoint slide show.
I encourage you to review the 10 core Principles B4 the meeting.

The 10 Core Principles of the BIP.
1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Diversify
5 Never try to time the market
6 Use index funds when possible
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course

Please RSVP to greenvillebogleheads@gmail.com if you plan to attend!
Snow Boarder

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Hello Bogleheads!

Here is a summary of the 3rd meeting for the GMBH chapter.
We had 2 guests from Florida attend the August meeting, Jim S. and his wife Mimi (sp).
They saw the enthusiasm in our postings on the Bogleheads forum and decided to stop by while they were in town for a high school reunion.

We went over 2 pretty key topics: The Boglehead Investment Philosphy and How Best To Use The GMBH Master Thread.
Rich K. took us through an overview of the 10 steps in the Boglehead Investment Philosophy (Great job Rich!) and I went through the workings of the Master Thread.
Everyone agreed that our MT is unique and will be a pretty cool tool for staying on top of GMBH information, once you subscribe / sign up for email notifications.

A paradigm shifting analogy to sports came up in our discussions. Investing is not like the Olympics where there is a Gold, Silver and Bronze medal winner and everyone else is forgotten. You don't have to be in the top 3, 30, 300 etc in the event of Net Worth/Fixed Income Earnings/ROI/Lowest ER etc to win the game of investing. In investing, you set your own targets (goals) and hitting your target is "enough" to win.

The next GMBH meeting is October 4th, 2014. Same Time (9:30am-11:30am). Same Place (Simpsonville Public Library).
Please send a RSVP PM to me or email greenvillebogleheads@gmail.com if you plan to attend!
Snow Boarder
Last edited by Snow Boarder on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:28 am, edited 8 times in total.
temwil

Post by temwil »

Hi Colum,

I will be there Saturday, August 23, 2014.
Southern Belle

Post by Southern Belle »

Snow Boarder,
Thanks for all the time and effort you've spent putting the Greenville chapter together. I have read the Master Thread from a few different chapters and was not sure just how much help it was going to be until you showed us how ours was set-up. I spent some time surfing through it after the meeting and was quite happily surprised to see how much information that relates to the Greenville Bogleheads was there in the first few posts. Planning all the activities for the family can get pretty hectic so I really appreciate the consistency (time/duration/location) that you have built into the meeting format and knowing the dates of the next three monthly meetings is super helpful for scheduling. Bookmarking/subscribing to this thread is like 1-stop shopping because all future/past individual meeting threads are hyperlinked to it. Personally, I thought putting the link to the Wiki vidoes on the Boglehead Investment Philosophy at the top of the GMBH master thread for everyone to get a refresher course was a nice touch and showed commitment to the Boglehead style of investing. Thanks for your initiative putting it together.
Southern Belle
rakornacki1

Post by rakornacki1 »

Snow Boarder,
Thanks for all your time, effort and hard work in putting together this Master Thread for our GMBH chapter. You've done a fine job job in organizing all the information that we may need for our past and future meetings. I find this thread intuitive and easy-to-use.
Thanks, again.
Topic Author
Snow Boarder

Post by Snow Boarder »

Last edited by Snow Boarder on Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Snow Boarder

Post by Snow Boarder »

The next GMBH chapter meeting is on October 4th.
Same time: 9:30-11:30AM.
Same place: Simpsonville Public Library

At our next 10 meetings, the first discussion topic will be a step of the Boglehead Investment Philosophy and the second will be a supporting actionable topic. For example. Having a budget is the cornerstone of Step 1 - Develop a Workable Plan.

Agenda.
9:30 - 9:45 Tips & Traps - from your experiences.
9:45 - 10:15 Step 1: Develop A Workable Plan. (Read about it in Wiki)
10:15 - 10:45 Budgeting Styles. (Read about it in WIKI)
10:45 - 11:15 Navigating Bogleheads.org - including the GMBH Master Thread.
11:15 - 11:30 Designate Discussion Leaders & Topics for next meeting.

Please RSVP by PM or send an email to greenvillebogleheads@gmail.com if you plan to attend!
Topic Author
Snow Boarder

Post by Snow Boarder »

Snow Boarder wrote:The next GMBH chapter meeting is on October 4th.
Same time: 9:30-11:30AM.
Same place: Simpsonville Public Library
The October 4th meeting has had to be postponed until November 15th. (NEW & IMPORTANT)
Topic Author
Snow Boarder

Post by Snow Boarder »

Here is the 10-Day reminder for the next meeting of the Greenville Metro Bogleheads.

When: November 15th 2014
Where: Simpsonville Public Library Address, Directions and Telephone #
What Time: 9:30-11:30AM
Agenda for the Nov 15th Meeting

Topic: Step 1 of the BH Investment Philosophy: Develop A Workable Plan. We want this to be interactive so bring any questions or comments you have.

Please RSVP to greenvillebogleheads@gmail.com.
Snow Boarder
Topic Author
Snow Boarder

Post by Snow Boarder »

Hi Everyone,

We have our Boglehead meeting tomorrow. Please come and help us restructure the meeting format to something you would find more interesting.
We'll meet in the smaller conference room which is on the right side - just pass the librarians desk but before the computer terminals.

It was suggested that the going over each step in the Boglehead Investment Philosophy was too introductory for our chapter.
I will have a list of potential discussion topics I made. ie. Tax Efficient Fund Placement. Outlook for fixed income investments. etc.
Bring 1 or 2 topics you would like to discuss at future meetings.

There are a lot of things to go over tomorrow - don't miss out.

Snowboarder
9:30am-11am
Simpsonville Library
loopback_zero

Post by loopback_zero »

Good afternoon!

Is the Greenville chapter still active?
rakornacki1

Post by rakornacki1 »

Not to my knowledge. Are you interested in re-starting one?