I saw a "Boglehead" on my flight yesterday!

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
gailcox

I saw a "Boglehead" on my flight yesterday!

Post by gailcox »

Yesterday I was working a flight to DFW from Toronto. As I was offering beverages and snacks off my cart, lo and behold, I observed a passenger deep in one of the Bogleheads' books! In all my years of working flights across the US I have never come across someone actually reading one of the books. (I once came across a Boglehead that was using one of the 'Vanguard' pens that are given at the conference!) I said to him, "Hey, are you a Boglehead?" He said he was (fairly new) and we chatted for a moment. He said he isn't coming to the 2014 Bogleheads Conference but I told him how special a conference it is and asked him to reconsider because he won't regret it. So, if you were the Boglehead that was on my Toronto-DFW flight yesterday, I extend the invitation once again to attend the 2014 Bogleheads Conference! (I hope there is still room!)
Gail
Ice-9

Re: I saw a "Boglehead" on my flight yesterday!

Post by Ice-9 »

Wow, I'm genuinely impressed. I've never seen another Boglehead in the wild!

I may have to look into attending the next conference myself.
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

Ice-9 wrote:Wow, I'm genuinely impressed. I've never seen another Boglehead in the wild!
I agree. I have looked and the closest I have gotten is folks who collect bobblehead dolls!!

I think the only thing more rare then alpha is finding a boglehead!

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Ice-9 wrote:Wow, I'm genuinely impressed. I've never seen another Boglehead in the wild!
I saw sscritic once. It was wild!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Thing is, most Bogleheads probably pass for normal in public venues.
It's possible I might be reading a finance/investing book on an airplane flight, but it would generally be a stretch to infer Bogleheadism from that.
The best way to increase chance Boglehead encounters would be for the site to sell well-tailored golf shirts and ball caps, but that effort never got off the ground...
Attempted new signature...
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

To be easily recognized as a Boglehead, you must have the Bogle head, and only one person has it.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

livesoft wrote:
I thought we had agreed not to reveal our clandestine meeting.

Actually, you left the decision to reveal or not up to me; you have broken your word. But you paid for the meal, so I can't really complain. :)

It was wild. Almost 50,000 posts at a single table for two. Even Mel and Taylor can't say that.

P.S. For the curious: it was a Chinese meal, of course.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Gail Cox attended the first Boglehead Conference with Jack Bogle in our Miami home and has been a loyal and valuable contributor ever since.

Thank you, Gail, for sharing your encounter in the sky.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

livesoft wrote:
The most bewildering thing about sscritic is that he knows more-than-everything about Social Security and took it early.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Is this the Boglehead version of the mile high club?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

VictoriaF wrote:
livesoft wrote:
The most bewildering thing about sscritic is that he knows more-than-everything about Social Security and took it early.

Victoria
Yes, but I believe he has said that it had something to do with benefitting his ex-spouse, whether court-ordered or purely voluntary, I'm not sure...
Attempted new signature...
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

VictoriaF wrote: The most bewildering thing about sscritic is that he knows more-than-everything about Social Security and took it early.

Victoria
A decision which I have explained several times before. The decision revolved around the requirements for being "independently entitled" (not for me).

Wow, the very first google hit is from benefits.gov, and it is wrong! Did someone hijack .gov? Sad. The second result points to ssa.gov, which has a link to the correct requirements.

Edit: I just see that The Wizard knows the story. It was voluntary on my part. I didn't want her to wait two years after the divorce was final to be able to claim. When I claimed, the divorce was not yet final, so she was my wife, not my ex-wife when she claimed. As it turned out, if I hadn't filed, the wait would have been about 27 months.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sscritic wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: The most bewildering thing about sscritic is that he knows more-than-everything about Social Security and took it early.

Victoria
A decision which I have explained several times before. The decision revolved around the requirements for being "independently entitled" (not for me).

Wow, the very first google hit is from benefits.gov, and it is wrong! Did someone hijack .gov? Sad. The second result points to ssa.gov, which has a link to the correct requirements.

Edit: I just see that The Wizard knows the story. It was voluntary on my part. I didn't want her to wait two years after the divorce was final to be able to claim. When I claimed, the divorce was not yet final, so she was my wife, not my ex-wife when she claimed. As it turned out, if I hadn't filed, the wait would have been about 27 months.
I think I've seen this explanation, but I'm still wondering if this decision was in the best financial interest for each of you, or it was triggered by divorce-related animosity, or it was due to the desire to be over and done with the ex.

Victoria
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

VictoriaF wrote: I think I've seen this explanation, but I'm still wondering if this decision was in the best financial interest for each of you, or it was triggered by divorce-related animosity, or it was due to the desire to be over and done with the ex.
There was no animosity. We just couldn't live together, even with the affection we had for each other. I explained the consequences to her, that if I waited to 70 or even 66 to claim that she would get much more when I died if she was still alive. She takes a pessimistic attitude to her own health and was convinced she was going to die before me. In a sense, it was the correct decision for her; if you know you are in poor health and have a shorter than normal life expectancy, you should claim early, whether your own benefits or your benefits as a ex-spouse.

As for me it was a sacrifice, as I could have collected widower benefits on the record of my deceased first wife while delaying my own old-age benefit, but I knew my ex would need the monthly income, so that's what we did.
haban01

Post by haban01 »

We should all make it a pact to carry a Boglehead book when flying!!!! Awesome story Gail!!!
Eric | | "Stay the Course" | "Press on Regardless"
Cosmo

Post by Cosmo »

I once spied a co-worker on the Bogleheads.org web site. However, since I normally don't interact with him, I didn't want to initiate any conversation.

Wow, did this thread get highjacked!
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

This is why we need Boglehead t-shirts.But they may need to be in secret code, so only fellow Bogleheads would know

John
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I may have to look into attending the next conference myself.
Me either. They are either rare or shy.

The conferences are definitely worth attending!
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

If I can't find one, I make one. I sat next to someone on my last flight reading The Intelligent Investor and studying for his CFA.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Taylor Larimore

"White Coat Investor"

EmergDoc wrote:If I can't find one, I make one. I sat next to someone on my last flight reading The Intelligent Investor and studying for his CFA.
Jim:

He would have done better reading your White Coat Investor.

Best wishes.
Taylor
rob

Post by rob »

Johm221122 wrote:This is why we need Boglehead t-shirts.But they may need to be in secret code, so only fellow Bogleheads would know

John
Oh... you missed the secret walk instructions? Oops - I never said anything... :happy
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

The reference I made earlier to the other passenger I had onboard that was using the "Vanguard" pen? Well, the funniest thing was HE was using HIS Vanguard pen, as he was doing paperwork on the flight, and I was using MY Vanguard pen as I worked on the beverage cart. I just happened to know this person (Dr. Rich) because he attends the North Texas Boglehead meetings. We both cracked up laughing when we realized that we each were using our very, very special pen! For those of you that don't know about it, there IS a secret Boglehead handshake that Victoria invented. Maybe that could be our 'secret' identifier to each other!
Taylor Larimore

Bogleheads:

HInt: Victoria's secret handshake involves the index finger. :wink:

Best wishes.
Tayloor
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Boglehead sighting).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

sscritic wrote:P.S. For the curious: it was a Chinese meal, of course.
Made me laugh!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

retiredjg wrote:
Made me laugh!
Perhaps, they will tell us what they found in their fortune cookies?

Victoria
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Victoria's secret handshake involves the index finger. :wink:
Oh, my!

Well then; I might know many more Bogleheads than I had previously thought -- mostly seen on the highway!

:mrgreen:
cfs

Post by cfs »

DRiP Guy wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:Victoria's secret handshake involves the index finger. :wink:
Oh, my!

Well then; I might know many more Bogleheads than I had previously thought -- mostly seen on the highway!

:mrgreen:
Well, if that is the case, I just met one approx 15 minutes ago entering I-5 and he was flying low on a Dodge Challenger. Now seriously, I have never met a Boglehead. Thanks for reading this note.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

VictoriaF wrote:
retiredjg wrote:
Made me laugh!
Perhaps, they will tell us what they found in their fortune cookies?
Most real Chinese restaurants don't give fortune cookies. Actually, I was disappointed as well, as I didn't get the sweet soup I was expecting for dessert.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Referring to several of the previous comments - please stay on-topic, which is spotting a Boglehead.

At my very first Bogleheads Convention (Bogleheads 9), I remember a discussion of our long-term goals - which is how to "spread the word" of the Bogleheads investing philosophy. At one point, Rick Ferri made a statement (somewhat paraphrased): "I want to be on an airplane and ask for a show of hands who knows what a Boglehead is - and someone will raise their hand." Four+ years later, his wish came true.

This was also the meeting in which Bill Bernstein and Rick Ferri (and the audience) were in a heated debate over the role of gold in a portfolio. Rick had the last word: "The only gold asset I have is this (pointing to his wedding ring), it's the most precious thing I own." End of discussion, we were all laughing too hard.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Was it 广东话 ? or 浙江 ?
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

One of my co-workers sent an internal Email a few months ago about a computer program I wrote at work, and also asked, "Are you a Boglehead?" Presumably she recognized my last name, which is my username.
Wiki David Grabiner
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Many moons ago on another online group, members would wear a special symbol at public events to identify each other and get together for an "IRL" meeting. The compass logo for this website would make a handy little lapel pin or brooch for identifying Bogleheads on the go....
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

In 2011, my company switched its 401k plan in to offering a 1 fund per asset class with 7 funds total + brokerage account from 22 funds. The effect was also a move from 5 vanguard funds to 1. A few days later on the internal-site someone started a thread titled, "Bring low cost vanguard back". A few days passed by as this grievance forum feature was new. During an internal email blast, this particular thread was added by HR to encourage discussion on company benefits in general. Lo and behold, close to 45 people responded with close to 100 conversations. As it so happens, 12 of them changed their signature to "diehards"

This was in early days of me finding Bogleheads(probably was reading without registering) and I quite frankly did not know diehards are origin for bogleheads. When I realized, I had a chuckle. A few months later, I joined biking club at work and met 2 of these bogleheads who are in their 50's. Had great conversations with them during biking trips on weekends.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
Lifut

Post by Lifut »

I met with a CPA a few weeks ago for tax preparation. I had moved everything from Edward Jones to Vanguard last year and I mentioned this to him. He got a bit excited and told me he was a huge Vanguard fan and asked what had made me do it. At about the same time we both said, "read a book." After telling him it was A Random Walk Down Wall Street he went on to suggest books by Rick Ferri and Larry Swedroe. I know those guys! Well, I read forum posts and articles from those guys anyways... I mentioned that I had asked some tax related questions on the Bogleheads forum and he said that I received good advice and that he spends some time here on the forum.

I've been a Boglehead for about a year and that's my first and only "In the wild" Boglehead story.

Lifut
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I took an investments course with the illustrious Zvi Bodie who has posted on this forum.

My macroeconomics professor David Griswold, who runs his own financial planning shop, had the Bogleheads book on the shelf in his office. Legitimized the whole operation in my eyes!
BL

Post by BL »

gailcox wrote:The reference I made earlier to the other passenger I had onboard that was using the "Vanguard" pen? Well, the funniest thing was HE was using HIS Vanguard pen, as he was doing paperwork on the flight, and I was using MY Vanguard pen as I worked on the beverage cart. I just happened to know this person (Dr. Rich) because he attends the North Texas Boglehead meetings. We both cracked up laughing when we realized that we each were using our very, very special pen! For those of you that don't know about it, there IS a secret Boglehead handshake that Victoria invented. Maybe that could be our 'secret' identifier to each other!
A good pen is a great idea for a Boglehead keepsake!
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

After I retired I had to figure out what to do with company stocks, IRAs and 401(k). So I asked around at the lunch group of retired engineers, and they suggested index funds, Vanguard and Bogle. So we must have Bogleheads in my lunch group.
LowER

Post by LowER »

BL wrote:
gailcox wrote:The reference I made earlier to the other passenger I had onboard that was using the "Vanguard" pen? Well, the funniest thing was HE was using HIS Vanguard pen, as he was doing paperwork on the flight, and I was using MY Vanguard pen as I worked on the beverage cart. I just happened to know this person (Dr. Rich) because he attends the North Texas Boglehead meetings. We both cracked up laughing when we realized that we each were using our very, very special pen! For those of you that don't know about it, there IS a secret Boglehead handshake that Victoria invented. Maybe that could be our 'secret' identifier to each other!
A good pen is a great idea for a Boglehead keepsake!
I'll buy several!
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

I was googling something at my VITA site the other day and Bogleheads was one of the first hits. The volunteer whose return I was reviewing asked "What's bogleheads? Is that named after John Bogle of Vanguard?" After I said yes, he said he loved Vanguard and proclaimed John Bogle one of his personal heroes. I couldn't agree more!
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

At the conferences, do your name tags also display your "user names" ?
If I ever attend I would like to meet some of my favorite posters.
Taylor Larimore

Vanguard Pen ?

Bogleheads:

I don't have a "Vanguard Pen" and never saw one advertised. Are they cheap and superior -- the same as Vanguard funds? How does one get one?

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Bustoff wrote:At the conferences, do your name tags also display your "user names" ?
If I ever attend I would like to meet some of my favorite posters.
As I recall it is an option to include your screen name on your name tag.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Talk about off-topic. I thought this thread was about meeting bogleheads in the wild. Buying pens and wearing name tags? Maybe the bogleheads meetings are that wild, so when you meet someone there you are meeting them in the wild. I have never been to one. Are they really as wild as all that?

Pens, name tags, Chinese dinners: what's the difference?

My Chinese meal was attended by two bogleheads. What about your last Chinese meal?
LowER

Post by LowER »

sscritic wrote:Talk about off-topic. I thought this thread was about meeting bogleheads in the wild. Buying pens and wearing name tags? Maybe the bogleheads meetings are that wild, so when you meet someone there you are meeting them in the wild. I have never been to one. Are they really as wild as all that?

Pens, name tags, Chinese dinners: what's the difference?

My Chinese meal was attended by two bogleheads. What about your last Chinese meal?
I cannot be sidetracked from this hi-jack. I still want a Boglehead pen, or several!!
Last edited by LowER on Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sscritic wrote:Maybe the bogleheads meetings are that wild, so when you meet someone there you are meeting them in the wild. I have never been to one. Are they really as wild as all that?
Some people are wilder than others. The wildest ones hang out in the hotel bar after midnight.

My general observation is that when I meet someone in person for the first time, he or she looks very differently from how I've imagined them. But then the physical persona overrides the virtual one, and when later posting in the Forum I "see" the real one.

Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

LowER wrote: I cannot be sidetracked from this hi-jack. I still want a Vanguard pen, or several!!
LOL.

Don't let LadyGeek dissuade you from the search for the perfect pen.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

sscritic wrote: I have never been to one.
Two things:
1. I'm stunned to hear someone with almost 20,000 posts has never been to a Boglehead Conference. :shock:

2. Looks like I'll never get to see sscritic at a conference and ask him if I should take at 62 or 70. :(

There should be Boglehead pens!
Topic Author
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

The Vanguard pen I am referring to is one that we receive by attending the conference. I can't say anything more or I could inadvertently give out secret information. If you want a pen, you have to attend the conference!! BTW, these aren't very expensive pens. But they are something that is very cherished!!

Gail
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.