Philly Chapter Meeting 11 May 2013

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements

Philly Chapter Meeting 11 May 2013

Postby dickenjb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:10 am

Our meetings will be held quarterly on the 2nd Saturday of months 2/5/8/11. November meeting *may* be moved due to Veterans Day falling that Monday the 11th.

We meet at Champp's King of Prussia:

330 Goddard Blvd
King of Prussia, PA 19406
Phone: 610-491-8001 Fax: 610-491-8128
Located at the King of Prussia Mall at the intersection of Goddard and Mall boulevards
Easy access by car or public transit from Center City or elsewhere

Meetings begin at 11 AM, those who wish to order lunch do, and we conclude by 1 pm or so.

Here are the topics attendees suggested at our February meeting:

1) Managing investments for the next generation
2) a topic to be presented by Dr Wade Pfau who is joining our group
3) "Lessons learned on retirement" - yours truly was asked to speak on what he has learned 2.5 years into retirement, what I did right, what I would have done differently
4) College funding

I am willing to present on the retirement topic (#3) and have already begun to collect my thoughts.

Looking for a volunteer to develop one other topic (either from the list or a topic of your own choosing).
Philly Chapter Coordinator
dickenjb

Re: Philly Chapter Meeting 11 May 2013

Postby dickenjb » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:42 am

Dr Wade Pfau has volunteered to present a topic TBD. Will either be on the Vanguard Retirement Seminar he is attending on April 30th or on some of his world class retirement research.

So the topics are:

Topic TBD by Dr Wade Pfau (topic will be announced here after he has attended April 30th Vanguard seminar)
Lessons learned 2.5 years into retirement by dickenjb

I realize the retirement heavy theme of this meeting might be a little far removed for some of our younger attendees. We'll try to address that in the next meeting with some topics of more interest to all. I will also try to include in my talk things I did in my 20's and 30's that positioned me to retire at 55. Also we will continue the practice of soliciting ideas and volunteers for future topics at the meeting close so come prepared with thoughts on what you'd like to hear (or better yet, prepare to lead a discussion on!)
dickenjb

Postby dickenjb » Thu May 02, 2013 7:23 am

OK here is our agenda:

"Lessons Learned after 2.5 years of Retirement" - led by dickenjb

"Efficient Frontier for Retirement Income" - led by wade

Suggestions for topics for future meetings - all

Looking forward to our meeting May 11th.
dickenjb

Postby LadyGeek » Fri May 10, 2013 2:57 pm

For background info, Wade Pfau is forum member wade. His bio is in the wiki: Wade Pfau
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby Dan999 » Fri May 10, 2013 4:32 pm

We are so fortunate to have him as a guest speaker tomorrow.
Dan999

Postby dickenjb » Sat May 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Well for those of you who missed it this was an epic meeting. I lost count of attendees (they just kept coming in!) but I believe we had 14 attendees which certainly qualifies as the biggest group since I took the helm.

The agenda was covered as published, with some lively side discussions on dementia, TIPS, LT Care Insurance, and the future of Social Security (which can not be discussed here on the forum but can at our chapter meetings!).

LadyGeek and grabiner were recognized in person for their each achieving the 10K post milestone.

Topics suggested for future meetings were:

Health Insurance - bridging the gap between retirement commencement and Medicare

Pros and cons of paying down debt vs investing

Our next meeting will be August 10th. One of the issues up for discussion at that time is whether to reschedule the November 9th meeting due to it falling on a holiday weekend.
dickenjb

Return to Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community