Master Thread for Portland, Oregon

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
ABQ4804

Re: Portland, Oregon Meeting?

Post by ABQ4804 »

Just join us Tuesday night at Ling Garden restaurant 6:30PM - if you can't confirm with Ron/baldeagle, just come and if we need to pull up another table it's not a big deal. See meeting details posted by Bruce M above. I know Ron sometimes has trouble with his email, but he's pretty conscientious about our quarterly Portland meetings. See you there!
Timmay!

Post by Timmay! »

Thanks for posting the meeting info. I just checked my email and noticed that my PM to Ron from a month ago was still sitting in my outbox also.
chipmonk

What a great meeting!

Post by chipmonk »

Wow, I'm glad I finally made it to one of these!! Not only did I meet some very friendly and thoughtful fellow Bogleheads in person, but I also got some useful advice and perspective on homebuying. And a tasty Chinese dinner. All for $11, and a few away blocks from my home. Such a deal :sharebeer
orcycle

Re: Portland, Oregon Meeting? June 11, 2013?

Post by orcycle »

I've been trying to attend one of these meetings for a while now, and I just checked my PM folder and saw my old message to Bruce still sitting in the Outbox. Anyway, I'm bumping this topic up because if I read correctly, the next quarterly meeting is June 11, as the second Tuesday of the last month of the quarter.

If I am wrong, would someone please post the correct information, and also point out how to get messages actually sent instead of languishing in the Outbox?

Much appreciated,

Willard
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Yes, Tuesday, JUne 11th 6:30PM Ling Garden, 915 NW 21st. Glad to have you join us. I'm not in charge, so please also PM Bald Eagle/Ron - he likes to have a rough idea of how many are coming.
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

Thanks Alisa4804, I will try again but I am having problems using the PM feature.

See you there!
BruceM

Post by BruceM »

Our next meeting will be Tuesday, June 11 at 6:30 at Lings Garden Restaurant, 915 NW 21st in Portland (21st and Lovejoy)

Hope this catches you on time, and hope to see you there.

BruceM

Edit: woooops...didn't see the response. Sorry for the repeat :-)
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Hello all - I assume we're meeting next Tuesday Dec. 10th at Ling Garden, same time, same place. I was out of town the week of the September meeting. There were several from our Portland Diehard group who attended Bogleheads Reunion 12 near Philadelphia in October, so maybe some feedback from those sessions, Jack Bogle, Rick Ferri, Bill Bernstein, Allan Roth, Mike Piper, Bill Schultheis and other authors/experts who presented. Looking forward to seeing whoever can make it!
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I'm retiring at the end of the leave year (01/11/2014) and moving to Portland the end of January. I look forward to attending the Portland Chapter meetings
Gordon
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

Hi, from the western suburbs. Could you provide more detail about the upcoming meeting? Same as the detail for the June 11 mtg? Confirmation that it is indeed happening? It's a long way to drive from Hillsboro (in rush hour) and I have to travel the next morning, so I'd like to know for sure that it is happening. (It would be my first :happy .)
chipmonk

Post by chipmonk »

GerryL wrote:Hi, from the western suburbs. Could you provide more detail about the upcoming meeting? Same as the detail for the June 11 mtg? Confirmation that it is indeed happening? It's a long way to drive from Hillsboro (in rush hour) and I have to travel the next morning, so I'd like to know for sure that it is happening. (It would be my first :happy .)
I for one have attended 3 times now and greatly enjoyed the company and interesting discussions! I'll be out of town next week so won't be able to join if it's indeed happening then.
will98683

Post by will98683 »

Are these pretty much always held on Tuesdays? I am in Vancouver, WA and would love to attend one, but Tuesdays are the worst for me.
orcycle

Post by orcycle »

will98683 wrote:Are these pretty much always held on Tuesdays? I am in Vancouver, WA and would love to attend one, but Tuesdays are the worst for me.
It is my understanding that the meetings are the 2nd Tuesday of the last month of each quarter. I plan to attend next week's meeting, should be a good one.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Ron/baldeagle confirmed with an email that we will meet next Tuesday, Dec. 10th 6:30PM Ling Garden, 915 NW 21st, Portland, our usual location. So join us if you can, and send Ron/baldeagle a message to confirm, or just show up. We usually have 2 tables pulled together and can always add a third. And yes, it always seems to be Tuesdays (2nd Tuesday of last month of each quarter: March, June, Sept and Dec) for the couple of years I've been participating. I always come away with a few more nuggets of financial wisdom that I've gained, from someone's comments.
pesteele

Post by pesteele »

Hi Everyone and Happy 2014 New Year.

Is the Portland group still meeting? I've checked periodically but don't see any postings since March 2013. I'd be interested in meeting and/or having my name added to the Portland list if Ron is still maintaining it.

Regards,

Paul
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Hi Paul. Yes, we are still meeting quarterly; next meeting is Tuesday March 11 6:30PM, Ling Garden restaurant, same as before. Bring one question for the group and we go around the table and try to give helpful feedback (or just rely on the fortune cookies).

One change is we're rotating leadership; Ron/baldeagle has done it for several years, and now I am stepping up. So please send me a PM with your direct email address as I am updating our mailing list. Thanks!
thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

Hi Alisa, I'm new to the bogelheads here in Portland and was wondering if you could add me to the mailing list too? I'll go ahead and PM my email address if that is cool. Thanks!
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

of course we will welcome the dude...
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Would it be weird if a Seattlite crashed this party? Work brings me to Portland on an occasional basis and if I'm in Portland on that date it would be nice to attend.
pdxbator

Post by pdxbator »

I would like to attend this meeting in March. I just registered and can't send a PM yet but count me in. Thanks.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Yes, we will meet next Tuesday, March 11th 6:30PM Ling Garden restaurant, 915 NW 21st, Portland OR 97209, our usual location in Northwest Portland. Our dinner meeting is informal; there is no presentation. We each order our Chinese meal and discuss financial topics. If you want to bring a specific question about investing to the group, there is time for that also. We usually have 2 round tables pulled together and can always add a third.

Our dinner meetings at Ling Garden are scheduled on the 2nd Tuesday of the last month of each quarter: March, June, Sept and Dec. NOTE: I am rotating in as Portland Diehards/Boglehead coordinator starting with this meeting, so please PM or email me (not baldeagle) to confirm your attendance, so I can let Ling Garden staff know how many to expect. And yes, visitors from out of town are welcome, please also let me know in advance. Thanks!
Last edited by ABQ4804 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABQ4804

Re: Master Thread for Portland, Oregon

Post by ABQ4804 »

Our next meeting is coming up: Tuesday, June 10th 6:30PM Ling Garden restaurant, 915 NW 21st, Portland OR 97209, our usual location in Northwest Portland. Our dinner meeting is informal; there is no presentation. We do introductions, and each order our Chinese meal and discuss financial topics. If you want to ask a specific question about investing to the group, there is time for that also. We usually have 2 round tables pulled together and can always add a third.

Our dinner meetings at Ling Garden follow a regular schedule: we meet on the 2nd Tuesday of the last month of each quarter: March, June, Sept and Dec.

NOTE: I am the new Portland Diehards/Boglehead coordinator starting with this meeting, so please PM or email me to confirm your attendance, so I can let Ling Garden staff know how many to expect. And yes, visitors from out of town are welcome, please also let me know in advance. Thanks!
Last edited by ABQ4804 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

bump!
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

alisa4804 wrote:bump!
Disco fever?
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
datageek

Post by datageek »

Oh bummer, I missed today's meeting. I wasn't even aware of the existence of the portland meetings, but would love to be notified of the next one.
Any thoughts on using meetup.com or Facebook events?
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

datageek wrote:Oh bummer, I missed today's meeting. I wasn't even aware of the existence of the portland meetings, but would love to be notified of the next one.
Any thoughts on using meetup.com or Facebook events?
Today's meeting actually is tomorrow.
Gordon
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

gkaplan wrote:Today's meeting actually is tomorrow.
Still? I'm on the fence about going.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Tuesday, Sept. 9th is our quarterly Diehards/Bogleheads meeting, 6:30PM Ling Garden, same details as May 31st message (above). I am the local coordinator. Please RSVP so we have a good count for the restaurant. thanks!
henigson

Post by henigson »

I don't appear to have PM or email options, so permit me to publicly RSVP for Tuesday. I am looking forward to my first BH-PDX gathering!
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Hello everyone, please join us for our quarterly Portland Bogleheads meeting at Ling Garden Restaurant, next Tuesday, Dec. 9th, 6:30 PM. Details are the same as previous meetings, described in this thread. Please RSVP so I can let the restaurant know how many to expect. Let me know if you have a specific topic to discuss. See you then!
ComStar

Post by ComStar »

I live in Salem and would like to join in... Is this group still meeting?
Munir

Post by Munir »

ComStar wrote:I live in Salem and would like to join in... Is this group still meeting?
Yes. See the post immediately above yours.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Hello everyone, please join us for our quarterly Portland Bogleheads meeting at Ling Garden Restaurant, in 10 days, Tuesday, March 10, 6:30 PM. Details are the same as previous meetings, described in this thread. Please RSVP so we can let the restaurant know how many to expect. Let me know if you have a specific topic to discuss. See you then!
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Reminder, Ling Garden, Tuesday night, 6:30pm
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Our next meeting is coming up: Tuesday, June 9th 6:30PM Ling Garden restaurant, 915 NW 21st, Portland OR 97209, our usual location in Northwest Portland. Our dinner meeting is informal; there is no presentation. We do introductions, and each order our Chinese meal and discuss financial topics. If you want to ask a specific question about investing to the group, there is time for that also. We usually have 2 round tables pulled together and can always add a third.

Our dinner meetings at Ling Garden follow a regular schedule: we meet on the 2nd Tuesday of the last month of each quarter: March, June, Sept and Dec.

NOTE: I am the current Portland Diehards/Boglehead coordinator starting with this meeting, so please PM or email me to confirm your attendance, so I can let Ling Garden staff know how many to expect. And yes, visitors from out of town are welcome, please also let me know in advance. Thanks!
Last edited by ABQ4804 on Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

One more time! Our next meeting is coming up: Tuesday, Sept 8th 6:30PM Ling Garden restaurant, 915 NW 21st, Portland OR 97209, our usual location in Northwest Portland. Our dinner meeting is informal; there is no presentation. We do introductions, and each order our Chinese meal and discuss financial topics. If you want to ask a specific question about investing to the group, there is time for that also. We usually have 2 round tables pulled together and can always add a third.

NOTE: I am the current Portland Diehards/Boglehead coordinator starting with this meeting, so please PM or email me to confirm your attendance, so I can let Ling Garden staff know how many to expect. And yes, visitors from out of town are welcome, please also let me know in advance. Thanks!
sandeman

Post by sandeman »

Alisa Please confirm my presence for tomorrows portland meeting at 630 thank you. this is my first meeting ! Robert Sande/ sandeman
Pillar

Post by Pillar »

Hello,
I would like to attend the local meeting, could you put me on the list? Do I need to send a pm to some one? Not sure how this works. I understand the next meeting will be in Dec.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

We meet again next Tuesday December 8, 6:30 pm Ling Garden, same details as Sept. 1 post above. Please respond by post or PM if you can attend and suggested discussion topics. See you there (typing on my phone).
CedarWaxWing

Post by CedarWaxWing »

I will plan on going...first time. Relatively new to this blog... which is very refreshingly based on people helping each other. Very nice.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone here has a local tax planning person. I had to get a new cpa about 2 years ago... and am not sure that my new one is as interested in tax planning as I am.

Also interested in knowing if anyone there has a 401 K plan that is local... and they are thrilled with... or with Vanguard, and how that is going.

I am not please with my 401 K plan... and may, over time, be able to do something about that, but only after an up hill battle.

Mike O.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Good questions for the group, Mike. See you there.
Loros1M

Post by Loros1M »

Hello folks--I just joined the Forum and look forward to chatting (and meeting) everyone.

Lori
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Welcome Lori! Next Portland meeting is Tuesday March 8th, Ling Garden Restaurant, as above.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

Bogleheads from Portland and surrounding areas: Please join our group for our quarterly meeting Tuesday, March 8th at Ling Garden restaurant, 6:30PM, 915 NW 21st, Portland OR 97209, details same as previous meetings, listed above. I will not be able to make the meeting this time, but Tom N. has graciously offered to facilitate.
Whacker

Post by Whacker »

Shoot. I see I just missed a meeting. I'm curious how many folks have shown up over the past couple meetings?
katerose

Post by katerose »

Will there be an April meet up for Portland?
Look forward to meeting others in the area.
RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey »

katerose wrote:Will there be an April meet up for Portland?
Look forward to meeting others in the area.
I believe it's been yearly in the past, so, unless there's enough interest we may have to wait until 2017. :beer
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).
mtcyenom

Post by mtcyenom »

I work in Beaverton and live in LO. Would love to come. When is the next meeting?

Thanks!
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

The next meeting is Tuesday, June 14 (edited June 5, read post below), 2016 6:30 PM. Read the description of our quarterly meetings, about 13 posts above this one. We may be looking for a new meeting venue, since Ling Garden has closed temporarily. Please PM me with suggestions for new meeting location, something Central, with parking, close to public transportation, and a separate meeting/eating area where we can congregate. Thanks!
Last edited by ABQ4804 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 »

The next meeting is Tuesday, June 14th - we meet the 2nd Tuesday of the third month of each quarter: March, June, September and December) 2016 6:30 PM.

NEW LOCATION: We will meet at LUCKY LAB BREW PUB, 915 SE Hawthorne, Portland 97214. Our traditional meeting location (Ling Garden in NW Portland) is closed for renovation and will reopen in 2017, according to their Facebook page.

Read the description of our quarterly meetings, from September 2015 post, about 14 posts above this one, as we'll keep the same informal structure: each ordering off the restaurant menu, then sharing questions and answers about personal finance issues that intrigue you - no formal presentations.

Luck Lab Brew Pub was suggested by several members as a central location. It is only a few blocks east of MLK and the Hawthorne Bridge, and on the #14 bus line. There is easy street parking in the neighborhood, as it is mostly industrial, but pretty open, high commuter traffic and seems safe. They have ample indoor and outdoor seating, a varied inexpensive pub food menu and beers on tap. There is a "Private Party Room" close to the street - cross your fingers that it is not reserved, so we can congregate in there as a group. (The Private Party Room is reservable, but for a fee)

Please 1) send me agenda topic ideas as I can pass them on to the regulars to think about before we meet. And 2) RSVP so I have an idea of the number of members to expect - but show up anyway even if you don't RSVP!

Finally, 3) we are due for rotation in leadership in 2017, for someone new to take the baton and facilitate and organize the meetings. We have 60+ members on our email list, and usually 12-15 participants/meeting. Are one of you interested in taking the lead, perhaps adding more structure or a presentation as some other Boglehead Chapters do? It is not a huge time commitment, and certainly of value to Bogleheads to get advice, stay the course, discuss rent/buy, compare notes on personal finance issues and share camaraderie!