My Christmas gift for you.

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

My Christmas gift for you.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:
Sixty-eight years ago today, I was a scared, cold and hungry 20-year old paratrooper huddled in a snow-covered foxhole on the outskirts of Bastogne, Belgium. Our 101st Airborne Division (Band of Brothers) was surrounded by Germans trying to capture or kill us. They demanded our surrender with this Ultimatum:
To the USA Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne:

There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.

If this proposal should be rejected, one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours' term. All the serious civilian losses caused by this artillery fire would not correspond with the well known American humanity.

The German Commander.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Our Commander, Anthony McAuliffe, gave the Germans his reply: "NUTS," and sent us this message on December 24:
By holding Bastogne---we are giving our country and our lived ones at home a worthy Christmas present.
Helping to secure your freedom is my "Christmas present" to you.

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Sam I Am

Re: My Christmas gift for you.

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Thank you Taylor, and all of the "greatest generation", for your service.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Dear Taylor,
I was an eleven year old when you held Bastogne. My family was listening to the radio news about you. Because of secrecy news was slow. They kept your position of being surrounded under wrap; however, when the news did come out, especially the NUTS reply to the Germans and the word of your counterattack, we cheered....I mean CHEERED in the streets and during the movie theater newsreel.
Thank you, Taylor, and all of the troops for saving us.
God Bless You..

Please enjoy this Merry Christmas message. (Turn on your sound.) This is for all Bogleheads, but especially for you and yours.
http://ak.imgag.com/imgag/product/previ ... 2/graphic1
Jim
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

May God bless you and your family Taylor. I am always amazed and in awe of the great sacrifice given by our fighting men and women. You and the men you fought with gave us the ultimate gift, freedom. Merry Christmas Taylor.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
LynnC

Post by LynnC »

Sam I Am wrote:Thank You, Taylor, and Thank You to all the vets who gave us the priceless gift of freedom.

My father was a few years older than you, Taylor, and served in a different theater, the South Pacific. We lost him in 2006, and I miss him terribly. Most of all, I wish he had lived to see my grandchildren, and they, him.

May God bless all of you for your sacrifices, great and small, made for this wonderful country we share.

Best wishes for all here at the site. I sincerely wish everyone a safe, healthy, and prosperous 2013!

It's time to break out the egg nog! :beer

Sam I Am
Hi Taylor,

Thank you, again! Much like our friend Rick here (Sam, I am) my father and my uncle served also. My father was stationed in Brazil in charge of cargo for the Air Force.His birthday would have been yesterday and I miss him daily. I thank you and all who have served and are still serving.

I agree with all of the above, except the egg nog, Rick :shock:

Have a wonderful holiday everyone. Hug those you love, tightly.

LynnC
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Thanks for that Taylor. I appreciate, and look forward to, your annual gift each Christmas to Bogleheads.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

And God bless all those that did not come home, for they gave the ultimate sacrifice.

John Clark
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

Many thanks and Merry Christmas to all.
Last edited by thebogledude on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClaireTN

Post by ClaireTN »

Thank you! Merry Christmas!
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

Many thanks, Taylor. And Merry Christmas to you!
SuzyC

Post by SuzyC »

Merry Christmas to you, and heartfelt thanks to all who were there.
englishgirl

Post by englishgirl »

Thank you Taylor, and to all veterans!

Merry Christmas!
Sarah
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

"God bless all those that did not come home."

jvclark02 wrote:And God bless all those that did not come home, for they gave the ultimate sacrifice.

John Clark
No words were ever truer. Thank you for your important reminder.

Happy Holiday!
Taylor
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

This Marine salutes his paratrooper friend and co-author. Merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy New Year to you and Pat.

Don't know if you've thought about it my friend, but we're coming up on 15 years since we started this Bogleheads thing over on M*. We've come a long way, baby! :D
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

78,901 posts.

Mel Lindauer wrote:This Marine salutes his paratrooper friend and co-author. Merry Christmas and a very happy and healthy New Year to you and Pat.

Don't know if you've thought about it my friend, but we're coming up on 15 years since we started this Bogleheads thing over on M*. We've come a long way, baby! :D
Mel:
And what a fulfilling adventure it has been:

* Together we have made 78,901 posts on the Boglehead and Morningstar forums in Mr. Bogle's crusade "To give ordinary investors a fair shake."

* This month you and I are featured as "Money Hero's" in MONEY magazine.

* Last week I received the Legion of Honor medal from France.

This old soldier will rest in peace.

Happy Holiday to you and Marlene!
Taylor & Pat
bowes11217

Post by bowes11217 »

Thank you, Taylor, and merry Christmas!
ofcmetz

Post by ofcmetz »

Wow, thanks for such a great gift Taylor! Both of my grandfathers were also WWII vets as well. I've really enjoyed reading the stories of the greatest generation.

Y'all have my eternal gratitude for what you all did.

Merry Christmas Bogleheads!
Never underestimate the power of the force of low cost index funds.
rr2

Post by rr2 »

Taylor -- To you and others, we are forever in your debt.

Here is another story, perfect for Christmas.

http://storytruceintheforest.blogspot.com
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

A beautiful story.

rr2:

Thank you for a beautiful Christmas story. I will never forget the movie.

Merry Christmas!
Taylor
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Thank you Taylor for your service to our country.

The Battle of the Bulge was a very important battle in WWII and pretty much sealed the fate of the Third Reich.

I was in France in September and visited the Normandy Beaches. I appreciate the sacrifices of our troops. We lost a lot of men in the advance from the beaches of Normandy to the Elbe River. Many hard fought battles. I saw the cemetery at Omaha Beach. I had seen pictures but had never before been to any of our overseas military cemeteries.

Thanks again.
A fool and his money are good for business.
garlandwhizzer

Post by garlandwhizzer »

Heartfelt thanks to Taylor and Mel and to all who served our country and ensured that, as Lincoln said at Gettysburg, "The government of the people, by the people, and for the people shall not perish from this earth."
FillorKill

Post by FillorKill »

Thank you Taylor et al. You helped preserve our freedom [which is anything but free].

And all I got you was another inane post...

You might be interested to know that that big V in my avatar is not an homage to Vanguard, it is this:

http://www.usamilitarymedals.com/bronze ... p-260.html

But then again, you probably knew that. :beer

Merry Christmas.
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

It's an honor to be in company of people like you. Good to know you are 88 and going strong!
billted

Post by billted »

Taylor,

I thank you for your bravery 68 years ago and for all your wisdom and time contributed to this community today. To those that served on Active Duty, to the families and spouses that served along side of them, to the current military members and to those that forfeit life as duty to their country: thank you so very much.

Warm regards from Afghanistan,
Billted
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

billted wrote:Taylor,

I thank you for your bravery 68 years ago and for all your wisdom and time contributed to this community today. To those that served on Active Duty, to the families and spouses that served along side of them, to the current military members and to those that forfeit life as duty to their country: thank you so very much.

Warm regards from Afghanistan,
Billted
And thank you, Billted, for your current service. Merry Christmas and be safe.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate »

Taylor,

What a precious gift it was and is. Thank you and thank our active troops for their service.

Happy Holidays!

DA
pteam

Post by pteam »

Amazing story. Thanks Taylor!
mlebuf

Post by mlebuf »

Hi Taylor,

We will never be able to thank you and the other members of the Greatest Generation enough for your selfless sacrifice during World War II. However that was just the beginning of many gifts you have given to make the world to better place. For almost 15 years, you and Mel have led the led the charge online teaching others how to benefit from the gift of passive investing made possible by Jack Bogle. Your contribution and leadership on this forum was and continues to be immeasurable and enormous.

Merry Christmas and God Bless.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.
HonoluluGator

Post by HonoluluGator »

Aloha Taylor, a nice story, thank you.

What regiment were you? My grandfather was the Chaplain of the 502 PIR, Raymond "Chappie" Hall.

Merry Christmas!
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Thanks Taylor for your gift. It is a gift we all too often take for granted but must remember that freedom is not free. Many brave soldiers paid a dear price for our freedom. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

John
chw

Post by chw »

Taylor, thank you for sharing your story, and more importantly the contributions our military men and women made 68 years ago, and since then, to secure the freedom of others, as well as here in the US. While relatively new on this board, I'm also warmed by the willingness of you and others here to openly share their thoughts on many topics to improve the lives of strangers in a constructive and meaningful forum. I look forward to participating in this forum in the years to come.

Merry Christmas from Boston
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

502 Chaplain

HonoluluGator wrote:Aloha Taylor, a nice story, thank you.

What regiment were you? My grandfather was the Chaplain of the 502 PIR, Raymond "Chappie" Hall.

Merry Christmas!
HonoluluGator:

I was in the 502 Parachute Infantry Regiment. Chappie was a very brave and caring Chaplain. You can be very proud of your grandfather.

Merry Christmas!
Taylor
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Taylor,

You're a hero on and off the battlefield. Merry Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year to you and all. :beer
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
6miths

Post by 6miths »

My father was too young to see action in the RCAF while my father-in-law was a Royal Marine. Thank you and Merry Christmas to all. Cheers!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
HonoluluGator

Re: 502 Chaplain

Post by HonoluluGator »

Taylor Larimore wrote:
HonoluluGator wrote:Aloha Taylor, a nice story, thank you.

Merry Christmas!
HonoluluGator:

I was in the 502 Parachute Infantry Regiment. Chappie was a very brave and caring Chaplain. You can be very proud of your grandfather.

Merry Christmas!
Taylor
Thank you, and Merry Christmas! I never had a chance to get to know him, he passed when I was 6 months old, although the stories live on.

Aloha!
Norris

Post by Norris »

Merry Christmas and Thank-you Taylor for your defense of the greatest country on earth. Thank you also to my father and all the other "Screaming Eagles" of the 101st Airborne. May we always remember and honor your sacrifice and the sacrifice of all our Veterans, both living and deceased.

I'll always remember when my Dad first saw the WWII Memorial in Washington in 2006. His first response was to turn to me, with tears in his eyes, and say "I just wish those who never returned home could have seen this".

May the Holiday hope and inspiration of "Peace on Earth and Goodwill toward Men" always remain in our hearts and minds..

Norris
wesleymouch

Post by wesleymouch »

[Off-topic political comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

A proud moment.

Norris:
Pat and I, with three of our paratrooper friends (Band of Brothers) and their wives, visited the WWII Memorial in Washington after attending a Boglehead Chapter meeting in nearby Arlington. One of the proudest moments of my life was pushing my disabled wartime buddy, Gerald Howard, in his wheelchair through the beautiful Memorial so generously built by grateful Americans.

Merry Christmas!
Taylor
iceport

Post by iceport »

A belated "Thank You" and Merry Christmas to you, Taylor.

I was reading the obituary of actor Charles Durning, and immediately thought of your story. It's truly amazing where you can find unsung heroes. And the toll their experiences take on those that return can be devastating for some.

Charles Durning, Prolific Character Actor, Dies at 89
Then came World War II, and he enlisted in the Army. His combat experiences were harrowing. He was in the first wave of troops to land on Omaha Beach on D-Day and his unit’s lone survivor of a machine-gun ambush. In Belgium he was stabbed in hand-to-hand combat with a German soldier, whom he bludgeoned to death with a rock. Fighting in the Battle of the Bulge, he and the rest of his company were captured and forced to march through a pine forest at Malmedy, the scene of an infamous massacre in which the Germans opened fire on almost 90 prisoners. Mr. Durning was among the few to escape.
Mr. Durning was also remembered for his combat service, which he avoided discussing publicly until later in life. He spoke at memorial ceremonies in Washington, and in 2008 France awarded him the National Order of the Legion of Honor.

In the Parade interview, he recalled the hand-to-hand combat. “I was crossing a field somewhere in Belgium,” he said. “A German soldier ran toward me carrying a bayonet. He couldn’t have been more than 14 or 15. I didn’t see a soldier. I saw a boy. Even though he was coming at me, I couldn’t shoot.”

They grappled, he recounted later — he was stabbed seven or eight times — until finally he grasped a rock and made it a weapon. After killing the youth, he said, he held him in his arms and wept.

Mr. Durning said the memories never left him, even when performing, even when he became, however briefly, someone else.
It's hard to fathom the kinds of sacrifices you all have made.

--Pete
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Eternal thanks.

Pete:

I thank you and all the other Bogleheads for your kind Replies.

You may be interested to learn that last week I was awarded the French Legion of Honor medal. I am deeply grateful to France for their rememberance.

Happy Holidays!
Taylor
FootballFan5548

Post by FootballFan5548 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:
Sixty-eight years ago today, I was a scared, cold and hungry 20-year old paratrooper huddled in a snow-covered foxhole on the outskirts of Bastogne, Belgium. Our 101st Airborne Division (Band of Brothers) was surrounded by Germans trying to capture or kill us. They demanded our surrender with this Ultimatum:
To the USA Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne:

There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.

If this proposal should be rejected, one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours' term. All the serious civilian losses caused by this artillery fire would not correspond with the well known American humanity.

The German Commander.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Our Commander, Anthony McAuliffe, gave the Germans his reply: "NUTS," and sent us this message on December 24:
By holding Bastogne---we are giving our country and our lived ones at home a worthy Christmas present.
Helping to secure your freedom is my "Christmas present" to you.

Taylor

Taylor,
I just stumbled up on this thread as I was looking through the "what books to read" thread... just curious, what Battalion, and Company were you in with the 101st AB in Bastogne?

My grandfather was 101st AB, 506th PIR, F Company, 2nd Platoon - original Taccoa man. He was wounded January 7th, 1945 in Bastogne.

Just curious...
Topic Author
Taylor Larimore

Taylor,
I just stumbled up on this thread as I was looking through the "what books to read" thread... just curious, what Battalion, and Company were you in with the 101st AB in Bastogne?

My grandfather was 101st AB, 506th PIR, F Company, 2nd Platoon - original Taccoa man. He was wounded January 7th, 1945 in Bastogne.
FootballFan5548:

I fought with the 101 AB (Airborne Division), 502 PIR (Parachute Infantry Regiment) Headquarters Company (mortars and machine guns), 2nd Platoon (about 50 men). I sleep wearing socks because of frostbite. Assuming your grandfather was not seriously wounded, we were lucky.

Thank you for remembering.

Best wishes.
Taylor