Thank You to the BogleHeads

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements

Thank You to the BogleHeads

Postby ja16351 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:15 pm

I came to this site about six months ago, and I'm a frequent reader, but an infrequent poster.

I simply want to say thank you to everyone who helps make this site great. My wife and I got very serious about retirement planning (I'm 36, she's 35) this year. With all of the help from reading the forums, the wiki, the Bogleheads Guides, and almost all of the books on the recommended lists, we have gone from a 0.0% savings rate for retirement to 16.3% (of gross income). We're maxing out both of our Roth IRAs, contributing to our 403b's, and are prepared to stay the course for the next 20 years until we can retire. And, we're still living a comfortable life and not eating beans and rice every night. We may not want to retire in 20 years, but I'm eagerly looking forward to just having the financial option to do so.

So, Thank You to everyone who runs this site and the wiki. Thank You to everyone who posts, and everyone who replies. This place is a beacon of light.

Having my family come to this financial position and worldview is one of the best Christmas presents under my tree this year, and I am truly thankful for it.

Merry Christmas!
ja16351

Re: Thank You to the BogleHeads

Postby JamesSFO » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Definitely, +1
JamesSFO

Postby Mel Lindauer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks for that wonderful post. It's always nice to hear that our work is both helpful and appreciated.

Happy holidays to you and yours.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Mel Lindauer

Postby pennstater2005 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Merry Christmas to you! And what a nicely stated post. Stay the course :happy
"The lack of money is the root of all evil." Mark Twain |
pennstater2005

Postby BolderBoy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:57 pm

+1 to the OP and all the comments.

The thread involving "harvesting tax GAINS" this year has been worth it too me many times over and over.

I thank you all.
BolderBoy

Postby letsgobobby » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:08 pm

I made a similar post exactly two years ago. It is indeed a privilege to be part of this impressive community, and to share in the learning which occurs here daily.

viewtopic.php?t=64963
letsgobobby

Postby Drew31 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Allow me to also express my thanks. Thanks in no small part to the advice received via this forum, I have initiated a transfer of my IRA to Vanguard.

As a result, my weighted average expense ratio of my portfolio will drop from 1.88% to .13%.

Cheers to all
Drew31

Postby camiboxer » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Another thankful member here.
I may not understand half of what is discussed here on any given day but it doesn't stop me from reading and learning as I go.
camiboxer

Postby camaro327 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks also, long time lurker first time poster.

This site has definately helped me understand the importance of expense ratios, simplicity, and having a plan.

Now if my employer would realize these things when chosing investments for my company's 401k. :oops:
camaro327

Postby srinivas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:03 pm

ja16351 wrote:So, Thank You to everyone who runs this site and the wiki. Thank You to everyone who posts, and everyone who replies. This place is a beacon of light.

Well said OP.

My wholehearted thanks to the moderators and contributors to the Bogleheads forums and Wiki, and to Mr. Bogle himself for his immeasurable impact on the financial well being of the common investor.

Wish you all a Merry Christmas, and a Happy and Prosperous New Year!
srinivas

Postby prudent » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:21 pm

I have used the internet for many years (anyone else ever use UUCP bang path email addresses? :) )and I have never seen another site that can match the quality of this one. The knowledge and selflessness of the membership here is incredible. And it's not just this discussion forum - it's also the Wiki, and the books that were published. "Labor of love" hardly describes the work that has gone into all of it. When I first started lurking here, I knew about asset allocation and expenses and index funds, but I soon came to understand I didn't REALLY know as much as I thought I did!

A sincere thank you to the moderators and membership, and I hope you all realize and are gratified by how much you are helping others to learn.
prudent

Postby TSR » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:26 pm

I'm in a similar boat -- haven't been here that long but have received extraordinary benefits. I will also say that I hang around a lot of websites and forums, and the ability of this place to avoid hostility and overtly political discussions is nothing short of amazing. We may all disagree now and again with how the rules are enforced, but the moderators do an amazing job of keeping this place civil by any standard, and a paradise by internet standards. Thanks to all.
TSR

Postby Taylor Larimore » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm

ja:

Your "thank you" is a Christmas gift for all of us.

It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Best wishes and Happy Holiday!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:53 pm

To the members: You're welcome.

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Bogleheads).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Return to Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community