Where is the Munchkin Man?

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements

Where is the Munchkin Man?

Postby frugalhen » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:17 pm

At first I found it hard to believe someone could actually speak of themselves in the third person, but like someone passing a traffic accident, I was drawn in to some of his posts.

Now, I have to admit I wonder whatever happened to the munchkin man? Is he out there? Is he ok? Heres hoping all is well with the munchkin man!

:beer
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret
frugalhen

Re: Where is the Munchkin Man?

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:59 pm

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby slow n steady » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:18 am

Slow n Steady always enjoyed reading his posts as well. Slow n Steady had to click on a thread when he was the OP.

Penny Stocks, coke cans from the vending machine, and large jugs of bleach. Those are the things that stick out when Slow n Steady thinks about the Munchkin Man. Ohh, and driving slowly. :happy
Ehh, I think I'll just toss it all in a Target Retirement Fund... seriously.
slow n steady

Postby beardsworth » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:20 am

Earlier this year there was a thread asking people to name inactive forum participants they missed. Munchkin Man was mentioned along with others. I wrote him a private message, drawing his attention to it and expressing the hope that he'd return. That PM is still sitting in my Bogleheads messages "outbox," never claimed. I hope he's OK.
beardsworth

Postby FamilyMan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:33 am

I think he just got tired of writing that way. His long, third person replies probably took him an hour to write each in such detail.
FamilyMan

Postby The Wizard » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:11 am

I was a fan also and we PM'd a few times, about his fave Thai restaurant in Las Vegas, for instance.
But I gathered he was roughly my age (62 and counting) plus he had some sort of disability that he had to fight Social Security to acknowledge and start sending him monthly checks.
Bottom line is that I feel MM has probably departed this world. I would like to be proven wrong, but this is one of the crummy things about internet anonymity...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Postby nisiprius » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:42 am

See my posting wishing that the forum could offer some kind of voluntary identity escrow.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby NAVigator » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:01 am

nisiprius wrote:See my posting wishing that the forum could offer some kind of voluntary identity escrow.

The problem with that idea is that any normal person responding would refer to him in the third person and people would think was back.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
NAVigator

Postby Quasimodo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Happy trails to you, Munchkin Man, wherever you are.

John
Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. | | Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)
Quasimodo

Postby stratton » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:21 pm

...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
stratton

Postby chaz » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:30 pm

I like the munchkin man, and wish him well.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby 555 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:56 am

NAVigator wrote:
nisiprius wrote:See my posting wishing that the forum could offer some kind of voluntary identity escrow.

The problem with that idea is that any normal person responding would refer to him in the third person and people would think he was back.

I am Munchkin Man. Oh wait, that's logically inconsistent.

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:40 pm

He's back! See: The Munchkin Man Diet
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby tc101 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:44 pm

At first I found it hard to believe someone could actually speak of themselves in the third person

Read Armies of the Night. Norman Mailer got the pulitzer prize for speaking of himself in the third person in that. He did do it better than the Mmunchkin Man.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
tc101

Postby chaz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:49 pm

Good to have MM back.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Return to Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community