The Wiki Has a New Look

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements

The Wiki Has a New Look

Postby LadyGeek » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:07 am

(OK, it's not a totally new look, but we've made a lot of changes. This is a result of extensive collaboration between the editors and administrators of the wiki and our sister site finiki, the Canadian financial Wiki - which also went through a similar update. I'm just the messenger.)

The wiki army has recently completed a major undertaking to make the wiki look like Wikipedia. The basic idea is that most readers are familiar with Wikipedia. The closer we resemble Wikipedia, the easier it should be to navigate and use the wiki.

- All of the menus look like Wikipedia. For example, take a look at one of our recent articles: Investing in Japan The right sidebar and bottom menus look exactly like Wikipedia in layout and color. New is the small "V - T - E" at the bottom right (sidebar) and top left (bottom menu) which allow editors to View, look at the Discussion (Talk) page, end Edit the menus.

-The notices and warnings look like Wikipedia. These items flag the reader on important points, such as the blue "i" notice in Risk and return: application, or the orange "!" warning in Structured Products.

-A significant change was made in how the wiki's structure is viewed. Previously, the Table of Contents and all lists of articles were created and maintained by hand. This was a lot of work and we couldn't keep it up to date. With a new software "add-on," the article categories are automatically updated. What's that mean? Every time we edit an article, the listings follow. No more manual updates.

We took advantage of this new feature to create a category "tree" view, which is just like using Windows Explorer. Instead of folders and files, you are looking at categories and pages (articles). We implemented this feature everywhere we could.

--> Take a look: Help:Navigation Clicking on each category will open a drop-down list. There was a significant clean-up to get the category tree up-to-date. (We also renamed articles according to Wikipedia convention. Help pages start with "Help:" - we've rewritten a few of these pages as well. BTW, the search box was cleaned up.)

The left sidebar was overhauled to make the wiki easier to navigate.

The "Links" section will take you to the forum, Facebook, our sister Canadian Webring Forum and finiki, and the Bogleheads® contest.

"For wiki editors" - Similar to the investing "Start-up kits," we've created a Wiki Editor's Toolkit. It's everything you need to edit the wiki: Getting started - check the right sidebar. Like Wikipedia, we have a Sandbox for editors to practice.

I probably haven't described everything we did, but this is the general idea. Comments / questions / concerns are welcome.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: The Wiki Has a New Look

Postby Barry Barnitz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Hi:
Special thanks are due Peculiar Investor, for getting the ball rolling, and Lady Geek, who along with PI, handled the most demanding technical issues.

regards,
Image | blb | December Birthday Celebration: Ludwig van Beethoven
Barry Barnitz
Wiki Admin

Postby Khanmots » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:59 pm

LadyGeek, I haven't said it, but I've been amazed at the amount that you (and the other helpers) do maintaining the wiki. It's much appreciated by the rest of us even if we are quiet about it :)

So... thanks!
Khanmots

Postby chaz » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Khanmots wrote:LadyGeek, I haven't said it, but I've been amazed at the amount that you (and the other helpers) do maintaining the wiki. It's much appreciated by the rest of us even if we are quiet about it :)

So... thanks!

I agree totally!
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby NAVigator » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Thanks to all who made such a great improvement to the single best resource of investing information. When I want opinions I go to the forum, but for Boglehead investing facts, I read the Wiki.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
NAVigator

Postby srinivas » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:43 pm

NAVigator wrote:Thanks to all who made such a great improvement to the single best resource of investing information. When I want opinions I go to the forum, but for Boglehead investing facts, I read the Wiki.

Jerry

Another big thank you to everyone who contributes to the building and maintaining of a truly valuable resource. It is much appreciated!

Best wishes,
Srinivas.
srinivas

Return to Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community