A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements

A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby Taylor Larimore » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:58 pm

Bogleheads:

Thanksgiving has a special meaning for Bogleheads. It is how we first met Jack Bogle in person. You can read about it in this wiki article by Mel Lindauer:

A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Miami Herald article

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 20268
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby abuss368 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi Taylor,

What a wonderful story!

Enjoy the holiday with your family and friends!

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
User avatar
abuss368
 
Posts: 6711
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: At the Beach

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby LadyGeek » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi Taylor,

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope you and Pat have an enjoyable holiday.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
 
Posts: 20145
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby jah » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I am thankful for finding this site and for the advice I received here.

Now if only the turkeys could be thankful for this holiday...

Jay
jah
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby Padlin » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:55 am

Thanks Taylor, first time I've read the story.
Regards | Bob
User avatar
Padlin
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: W Mass

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby grok87 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:12 am

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
grok, CFA | Danon delenda est
grok87
 
Posts: 6524
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby pennstater2005 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:16 am

Happy Thanksgiving Bogleheads!
User avatar
pennstater2005
 
Posts: 1365
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby goalie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:04 am

Because of the Vanguard Diehards and Bogleheads sites, I have gone from a 33 year old debt laden truck driver, with no savings or investments in 1998. To a 47 year old, stressed out middle management type with a comfortable six digit portfolio, an emergency fund and no debt except a small mortgage and a 0% car loan. I see no reason that I can't make seven digits by my mid to late 60's.

I remember reading about the first reunion as it was happening. I have used career and investing advice to put my family in a better position than most of the people that I know. I now lead a small group at work spreading Jack's word, hoping some will embrace at least some of his teachings. Have a great holiday and thank you very much to the few who do so much at this site. Chip
goalie
 
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:09 am

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby barber » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:15 am

Thanks to all who contribute so much this site and to those that are serving or have served our country.
barber
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:50 pm

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby Beagler » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:52 am

goalie wrote:Because of the Vanguard Diehards and Bogleheads sites, I have gone from a 33 year old debt laden truck driver, with no savings or investments in 1998. To a 47 year old, stressed out middle management type with a comfortable six digit portfolio, an emergency fund and no debt except a small mortgage and a 0% car loan. I see no reason that I can't make seven digits by my mid to late 60's.

I remember reading about the first reunion as it was happening. I have used career and investing advice to put my family in a better position than most of the people that I know. I now lead a small group at work spreading Jack's word, hoping some will embrace at least some of his teachings. Have a great holiday and thank you very much to the few who do so much at this site. Chip


Continued success to you! Happy Thanksgiving.
“The only place where success come before work is in the dictionary.” Abraham Lincoln. This post does not provide advice for specific individual situations and should not be construed as doing so.
Beagler
 
Posts: 3442
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby gailcox » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:12 am

Hi Taylor,

I'll never grow tired of reading Mel's story and how the Bogleheads group came to be! I feel very fortunate and blessed to have come across your name on the Morningstar board in 1999 and even more fortunate to have attended the very first "Diehards" reunion at your and Pat's condo in Miami. What wonderful memories from all the reunions I have been able to attend! I'm thankful to have embraced Jack Bogle's philosophy of simple, low cost investing and to have been able to share the knowledge with family and friends. Happy Thanksgiving to Pat and Taylor and to all the Bogleheads!
gail cox
gailcox
 
Posts: 382
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:18 am
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby Taylor Larimore » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:36 pm

Dear Gail:

Pat and I thank you for your post with its wonderful memories. Please accept our best wishes for you and your family to enjoy a very

Happy Thanksgiving!

Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 20268
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby Rob5TCP » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:11 pm

I can add but one more vote to the chorus above.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and to especially to Taylor and my fellow Bogleheads.
This has been a not so easy learning experience.
Looking forward to seeing you in December Taylor.


Rob
User avatar
Rob5TCP
 
Posts: 2003
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby Taylor Larimore » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Bogleheads:

This is a reminder of our Southeast Florida Boglehead Meeting on December 9th.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=105397&p=1530675#p1530675

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 20268
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby ofcmetz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks for sharing that story. :)

Happy Thanksgiving from Louisiana to all the Bogleheads.
Showing up at the donut shop at 5 am to get them hot out of the oil is an example of successful market timing.
User avatar
ofcmetz
 
Posts: 1808
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:09 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: A THANKSGIVING TO REMEMBER

Postby Mel Lindauer » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:22 pm

gailcox wrote:Hi Taylor,

I'll never grow tired of reading Mel's story and how the Bogleheads group came to be! I feel very fortunate and blessed to have come across your name on the Morningstar board in 1999 and even more fortunate to have attended the very first "Diehards" reunion at your and Pat's condo in Miami. What wonderful memories from all the reunions I have been able to attend! I'm thankful to have embraced Jack Bogle's philosophy of simple, low cost investing and to have been able to share the knowledge with family and friends. Happy Thanksgiving to Pat and Taylor and to all the Bogleheads!
gail cox


Happy Thanksgiving, Gail. You've come a long way, baby! Since those early days, you've become a vital part my Bogleheads Conference preparation "All-Star Team". Thanks for all you've done and continue to do for the Bogleheads community.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
 
Posts: 22452
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida

The easiest question . .

Postby Taylor Larimore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:58 am

Bogleheads:

At our family Thanksgiving dinner Pat, asked each of us to tell what we are thankful for.

It was probably the easiest question we were ever asked. A few replies:

Being born American.
Born with good health.
Being raised with loving parents.
The opportunity for a good education.
Never cold or hungry.
We all care about the less-fortunate.
No lawbreakers in the family.
Wonderful friends.
Good jobs and hobbies (needlepoint, helping investors, sailing, travel, woodworking, kung fu, etc.)
Jack Bogle and Vanguard.

I am glad we have this special day to appreciate the many things we should be thankful for.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 20268
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: The easiest question . .

Postby Mel Lindauer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:02 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

At our family Thanksgiving dinner Pat, asked each of us to tell what we are thankful for.

It was probably the easiest question we were ever asked. A few replies:

Being born American.
Born with good health.
Being raised with loving parents.
The opportunity for a good education.
Never cold or hungry.
We all care about the less-fortunate.
No lawbreakers in the family.
Wonderful friends.
Good jobs and hobbies (needlepoint, helping investors, sailing, travel, woodworking, kung fu, etc.)
Jack Bogle and Vanguard.

I am glad we have this special day to appreciate the many things we should be thankful for.

Best wishes.
Taylor


Even though I wasn't with you for Thanksgiving, Taylor, if I had been I would have replied that I'm thankful for our long-time friendship. We've worked together for many years to help create this wonderful Bogleheads community that will live long after us. Together, I think we've made a difference and that should make us both very happy and proud.

This Marine salutes his paratrooper friend.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
User avatar
Mel Lindauer
Moderator
 
Posts: 22452
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:49 pm
Location: Daytona Beach Shores, Florida

Soldier's in Mr. Bogle's crusade

Postby Taylor Larimore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Thank you, Mel:

It has been a labor-of-love working together with you and the Bogleheads to spread the word and help other investors in Mr. Bogle's crusade:

"To give ordinary investors a fair shake."

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
 
Posts: 20268
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL


Return to Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests