Forum is now back ONLINE!

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Forum is now back ONLINE!

Post by LadyGeek »

Welcome back!

The forum is now up and running with phpBB 3.1.3 which provides better support for mobile devices and tablets.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
The529guy

Re: Forum is now back ONLINE!

Post by The529guy »

Woohoo!
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

Thanks as always for all oif your work.
GeneralPerson

Post by GeneralPerson »

Wow the threads look great on my mobile phone. Thank you for this.

Now if you can just fix the home page :wink:
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Thank you. I was starting to suffering from withdrawal symptoms without my daily fix of Bogleheads .
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Thanks to all who work so hard to keep this forum running, moderated, and up to date. Can't wait to see what the update did for the mobile application!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

Thanks to LG et al. for all the work on the site!
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
skjoldur

Post by skjoldur »

Thanks for all the effort to make this place great!
prudent

Post by prudent »

Another heartfelt thank you to the admins!
a

Post by a »

That's pretty fast for a software upgrade. Thank you
for the effort.
rob

Post by rob »

Anyone else get a blank inch or two on both sides (just on the BBH side, not the main page).... Also the bogleheads label on the top is no longer a hot link back to the main page.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Thank you, LadyGeek.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You're welcome. A big thanks also to Larry Auton (mingstar), who takes care of the server.

Regarding the home page- give me a chance to catch up and I'll put it back the way it was.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Threads look exactly like they should on my smartphone. No more pinching and zooming :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
mudfud

Post by mudfud »

Thanks, great work!
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image
prudent

Post by prudent »

rob wrote:Anyone else get a blank inch or two on both sides (just on the BBH side, not the main page).... Also the bogleheads label on the top is no longer a hot link back to the main page.
The square logo to the left of the word "Bogleheads" works for that.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

prudent wrote:
rob wrote:Anyone else get a blank inch or two on both sides (just on the BBH side, not the main page).... Also the bogleheads label on the top is no longer a hot link back to the main page.
The square logo to the left of the word "Bogleheads" works for that.
Previously, both the logo and the text were links to the main page. Now it's only the logo. Right now it seems very burdensome to move the mouse that extra inch to the left but I expect I'll adjust to it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

rob wrote:Anyone else get a blank inch or two on both sides (just on the BBH side, not the main page)....
Yes, it depends on your monitor size and resolution. It is part of the responsive design, the prosilver board style has been completely overhauled to ensure a modern experience on all of your devices.
Also the bogleheads label on the top is no longer a hot link back to the main page.
The Bogleheads logo is the link, as is the new Home breadcrumb that now appears before Board index in the navigation bar.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
whaleknives

Post by whaleknives »

On the Bogleheads Home page (topic list) both compass and "Bogleheads" title have links to https://www.bogleheads.org/index.php. On any topic's threads, only the compass has the link. And no to wide margins.

I'm using Firefox 37.0.2.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

It's all messed up for me. I have the wide margins. More than that, where's the "View unread posts" link? I'm using Firefox 37.0.1.
Gordon
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

gkaplan wrote:It's all messed up for me. I have the wide margins. More than that, where's the "View unread posts" link? I'm using Firefox 37.0.1.
The various "View ..." links are now under Quick links, i.e. View new posts, View unread posts and View active topics. I'd suggest bookmarking your favorite/most used one and putting it in your bookmarks bar.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Tycoon

Post by Tycoon »

Thank you all.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
whaleknives

Post by whaleknives »

gkaplan wrote:. . . where's the "View unread posts" link? I'm using Firefox 37.0.1.
Try Forum page,upper left: Quick links>Unread posts.

Wait, that's all unread posts on the Forum. "Your posts" is better.
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."
grabiner
Advisory Board

Lost ability to change font size

Post by grabiner »

The latest upgrade seems to have removed the ability to click on an icon (a letter A with up and down arrows) to change the font size; is it somewhere I can no longer find?
Wiki David Grabiner
stlutz

Re: Lost ability to change font size

Post by stlutz »

Ctrl+ and Ctrl- work fine for me.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Use your fingers to expand the font size?
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

We will be making fixes as we go. The header link is on the list. I'm afraid that using the full screen width may not be, but if possible we'll test making it flush left. I find the double margins highly annoying.

As you may have guessed, the primary reason for the upgrade is to better accommodate mobile devices, which now make up maybe 1/3 of our views and is constantly growing. It's a very big improvement for them, so we feel it's worth what we hope will be no more than a very minor loss for those using a desktop or larger laptop.
peppers

Post by peppers »

stlutz wrote:Ctrl+ and Ctrl- work fine for me.
Interesting. I can now hold my Chromebook at arms length and read posts. It solved the gap issue as well. Thank you.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Topic Author
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Peculiar_Investor has offered to provide a quick guide to the new forum software (thanks!).

Please see his thread here: What's new and changed in phpBB 3.1, feel free to ask questions.
am

Post by am »

I can't post a poll. Can someone tell me where to find this feature?
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

am wrote:I can't post a poll. Can someone tell me where to find this feature?
Posted yesterday, Polls Disabled
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

LadyGeek wrote:Welcome back!

The forum is now up and running with phpBB 3.1.3 which provides better support for mobile devices and tablets.
The upgrade looks great! Thank you.
speedbump101

Forum Functionality From the Index Page

Post by speedbump101 »

I've always entered the forum from the Forum Index page and browsed from 'View unread posts.' With the update today 'view unread posts' and other features previously on the index page are missing. Please don't tell me that after almost seven years here I have to change the way I access the forum.

SB...
"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal" -Robert A. Heinlein
HueyLD

Re: Forum Functionality From the Index Page

Post by HueyLD »

Click on the Quick links and you will find what you are looking for.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Quick links on the left.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 »

HueyLD wrote:Click on the Quick links and you will find what you are looking for.
Thank you, old guys, new things, negative correlation! :oops:

SB...
"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal" -Robert A. Heinlein
Peculiar_Investor
Site Admin

Might I suggest you bookmark View unread posts and place it in your bookmarks bar. Saves navigating through the Quick links dropdown menu.
speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Might I suggest you bookmark View unread posts and place it in your bookmarks bar. Saves navigating through the Quick links dropdown menu.
Done, thanks!

SB...
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Might I suggest you bookmark View unread posts and place it in your bookmarks bar. Saves navigating through the Quick links dropdown menu.
Now that I've found the link, it's no problem.
Gordon
island

Post by island »

Wow so much easier to read on my iPhone!
Thank you LadyGeek and all the other moderators and site administrators.
:beer
Minot

Another issue with the new format

Post by Minot »

I usually have several tabs open, and switch back and forth between them. Up to this point if I was in the Bogleheads Forum, no matter where, the tab read "Bogleheads.org." Now it shows the subject line of the topic, which my 78 year old brain finds confusing. As a browser of Bogleheads who is also listening for activity on the webcams I follow, or who often gets sidetracked following links or looking something up, I may have been "away" from the Forum topic I was reading for some time, and the tab label may not be easily recognized. Is there any way to go back to having the browser tab read "Bogleheads" instead of, e.g., "Another issue with th"?
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

Awesome - thanks!! :)
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
tibbitts

Re: Another issue with the new format

Post by tibbitts »

I don't understand the issue. The favicon identifies the site; to have the description also do that would be somewhat redundant, no? With lots of tabs open, how much of the description are you seeing anyway? I have only 23 tabs open currently (per browser window) and am only seeing icons, unless I change focus to each favicon. Maybe you have a gigantic screen size. Are you actually changing focus to each favicon and reading the descriptions? That would be a lot of work.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Just think how much I'll save on reading glasses when using my iPad. :D
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

HueyLD wrote:Use your fingers to expand the font size?
The font is much too large. Shrinking it doesn't work.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

I'm merging and locking miscellaneous threads on the new forum software in an attempt to keep things in one place so nothing gets overlooked.

Please direct bug reports and usability issues to Forum software upgrade bug reports and change requests. Questions on how to use or find features should go to What's new and changed in phpBB 3.1. If you aren't sure which thread to use, make your best guess and we'll sort it out if necessary.