Abbreviation: "OP"? [= "Original Poster"]

Discussions about the forum and contents
Topic Author
David Jay

Abbreviation: "OP"? [= "Original Poster"]

Post by David Jay »

On the boards the person who asks the question is sometimes referred to as the "OP". I feel really dumb, but what does OP stand for?

OPerator?
OutPut?
Ossified Person?

:confused
Last edited by David Jay on Wed May 02, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
JDDS

Re: Abbreviation: "OP"

Post by JDDS »

Original Poster
Topic Author
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

DUHHH...

I told you I felt stupid.

Thanks
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

When I am not being lazy, I try to avoid that abbreviation, and use the actual screen name of the original poster. It's not that hard.

Generally speaking... personally... I often fail to review previous postings in a thread as carefully as I should, but I at least do try to read the original post. If trying to remember the name of the person who started the thread requires me to glance back one more time at the original post, that's a Good Thing.

Jargon and in-group colloquialisms are a curse. It's just a normal thing and it happens, but we should try to avoid it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

livesoft wrote:http://www.google.com makes one smart, but read this about that: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... y-are.html
Interesting article. By the way, what does "how does a zip work" mean? Google finds me explanations of how a zipper works, but not a zip. I tried Googling on "what is a zip?" without much luck.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

nisiprius wrote:
livesoft wrote:http://www.google.com makes one smart, but read this about that: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... y-are.html
Interesting article. By the way, what does "how does a zip work" mean? Google finds me explanations of how a zipper works, but not a zip. I tried Googling on "what is a zip?" without much luck.
It's telegraph.co.uk. A zip is the common name for a zipper in British English.

I did not google this answer. So, ummm, ...
TigerNest

Post by TigerNest »

What about "DW"? From the context, it sounds like it means spouse, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it stands for.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

TigerNest wrote:What about "DW"? From the context, it sounds like it means spouse, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it stands for.
Dear Wife

For the reader:

DH (husband)
DS (sister or spouse or son)
DD (daughter)
etc...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The left-side menu of every wiki page has a link to Acronyms. We have a few for the forum, such as:
OP - Original Poster (not investing related).

RBD - Really Bad Day. A Bogleheads' idiomatic term coined by forum member livesoft. An early mention is in this thread: Today was a Really Bad Day.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Re: Abbreviation: "OP"[? = "Original Poster"]

Post by nisiprius »

FUNEM? VFM. FUNEX? VFX. OKMNX.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

nisiprius wrote:FUNEM? VFM. FUNEX? VFX. OKMNX.
Shouldn't that be "SVFM" and "SVFX"?

:happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Tamahome

Post by Tamahome »

nisiprius wrote:but I at least do try to read the original post.
It is good that you try to at least make that effort... :P
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.
Munir

Post by Munir »

Dulocracy wrote:
nisiprius wrote:but I at least do try to read the original post.
It is good that you try to at least make that effort... :P
How does one "make the effort to try and read" ? :happy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

nisiprius wrote:FUNEM? VFM. FUNEX? VFX. OKMNX.
IDK
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet