New Forum for Retirement Issues suggestion

Discussions about the forum and contents

New Forum for Retirement Issues suggestion

Postby Diogenes » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:07 am

I have a suggestion for a new forum in the main menu. This forum could be titled 'Bogleheads and Retirement' or similar. I know many of these issues are covered perhaps in different places on BH.org, however I think it would be useful to have a separate forum category along with the other six.

I think the BH philosophy would be very useful to those of us in that category,or approaching, and the outlook on various specific investing and financial issues of concern to this growing group would be very helpful. We could also benefit from sage advice from those already there. Other boards out there for this group and those planning for retirement tend not to be a fiscally educated as the BH's, in my opinion. I think many others who are looking for a place to go would appreciate also. BH.org is the gold standard out there.

I sent a PM to Alex, however I see he has not been on for awhile.

_D_
Diogenes

Re: New Forum for Retirement Issues suggestion

Postby earlyout » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:00 am

earlyout

Postby Munir » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:16 am

The accumulators tend to dominate the BH boards by their sheer numbers. A "retirement" sub-forum is an interesting idea.
Munir

Postby Sidney » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:18 am

At one point, there was a suggestion to implement tagging in lieu of multiple additional forums. I don't recall if there was any decision on that.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sidney

Postby Cosmo » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:32 am

Diogenes wrote:I have a suggestion for a new forum in the main menu. This forum could be titled 'Bogleheads and Retirement' or similar. I know many of these issues are covered perhaps in different places on BH.org, however I think it would be useful to have a separate forum category along with the other six.

I think the BH philosophy would be very useful to those of us in that category,or approaching, and the outlook on various specific investing and financial issues of concern to this growing group would be very helpful. We could also benefit from sage advice from those already there. Other boards out there for this group and those planning for retirement tend not to be a fiscally educated as the BH's, in my opinion. I think many others who are looking for a place to go would appreciate also. BH.org is the gold standard out there.

I sent a PM to Alex, however I see he has not been on for awhile.

_D_

For myself and others, since we hit this site from the main bogleheads.org, it doesn't really make a difference.
Cosmo

Postby gwrvmd » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:50 am

A problem would be many of the threads on here are about tax deferred investing. Are the topics on IRA, 403(b) an 401(k) plans Personal Investing or Retirement Investing?...Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
gwrvmd

Postby Sidney » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:51 am

gwrvmd wrote:A problem would be many of the threads on here are about tax deferred investing. Are the topics on IRA, 403(b) an 401(k) plans Person Investing or Retirement Investing?...Gordon

That is an advantage of tagging. A post could be have multiple tags.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
Sidney

Postby FrugalInvestor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:59 am

Although at first blush I like the idea, it could get confusing where to post. I can see where it could become a headache for the moderators to re-classify posts.
"Some men worship rank, some worship heroes, some worship power, some worship God, and over these ideals they dispute and cannot unite, but they all worship money. - Mark Twain
FrugalInvestor

Postby 2stepsbehind » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:02 pm

Rereading the previous threads I'm somewhat befuddled that some people have come out strongly against this because that's not the way they read the board and/or they are worried about how to tag something. Isn't it enough that apparently some people would find it helpful and various people have requested it? Why alienate a core of readers or suggest they go elsewhere when small modifications can be made to keep users happy. I think moderators are sufficiently zealous that they could make sure threads with multiple implications could be tagged appropriately (perhaps providing a link on both subforums).
2stepsbehind

Postby Default User BR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:27 pm

What is the purpose? Are people not getting answers to retirement-oriented questions?

People have enough trouble getting their posts into the correct forum as it is. Adding another is unlikely to help that.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby bertilak » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:56 pm

Default User BR wrote:What is the purpose? Are people not getting answers to retirement-oriented questions?

People have enough trouble getting their posts into the correct forum as it is. Adding another is unlikely to help that.

Brian

Lots (nearly all) the advice on this forum is all about how to save and invest in the many years PRIOR TO for retirement. As a recent retiree (now almost three years) I had no clue that things were different AFTER retirement. I think this is a very important aspect of investing that gets lost in the blizzard of advice that is either irrelevant or sometimes actually harmful to a retiree.

Off the top of my head here are a few things that make post retirement investment different:
  • Sociial Security
  • sequence of return risk (or "one swing at the cat" risk)
  • worst case vs expected case
  • availability of SPIAs, reverse mortgages and probably other strategies that could be GOOD ideas for retirees
  • products (and scams) aimed at seniors that are BAD ideas and in nearly all cases should be ignored
Sometimes a discussion is incomplete without taking those things into account. That's not to say that these things don't get covered but they do sometimes get overlooked.

This may be why Mike Piper had to write more than one book. Two on investing and two on retirement (My underlines):
  • Investing Made Simple: Index Fund Investing and ETF Investing Explained in 100 Pages or Less
  • Oblivious Investing: Building Wealth by Ignoring the Noise
  • Can I Retire?: How Much Money You Need to Retire and How to Manage Your Retirement Savings, Explained in 100 Pages or Less
  • Social Security Made Simple: Social Security Retirement Benefits and Related Planning Topics Explained in 100 Pages or Less

So there really IS a difference and that difference is not well-differentiated on bogleheads.org.
No-one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it sometime you will see why. | -- Mignon McLaughlin
bertilak

Postby Default User BR » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:39 pm

bertilak wrote:Lots (nearly all) the advice on this forum is all about how to save and invest in the many years PRIOR TO for retirement. As a recent retiree (now almost three years) I had no clue that things were different AFTER retirement. I think this is a very important aspect of investing that gets lost in the blizzard of advice that is either irrelevant or sometimes actually harmful to a retiree.

Have you had trouble getting answers to questions? While the threads on a forum might be predominantly geared to accumulation, as long as ones that aren't get sufficient attention, I don't see the need.

We'll just end up with even more threads for the mods to move.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:14 pm

Sorry, there won't be another forum as stated by the site owner, Alex Frakt here: Re: We need a new forum just for retirement issues

The problem with tagging posts is that you need to be knowledgeable about the subject, then determine how many categories it could possibly fit in. Also consider that every person has a different idea about what should be tagged. I don't see this as being efficient.

As Default User BR points out - we already have more than enough work to keep the threads in the few existing forums that we have. For example, asking about home repair in the Personal Finance forum.

What will work is to have clear thread title. For example: "Help with retirement" isn't clear, but "When should I take Social Security?" is clear.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby bertilak » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Default User BR wrote:Have you had trouble getting answers to questions? While the threads on a forum might be predominantly geared to accumulation, as long as ones that aren't get sufficient attention, I don't see the need.

It's more a matter of knowing that there are questions that need asking.

LadyGeek wrote:Sorry, there won't be another forum as stated by the site owner, Alex Frakt here: Re: We need a new forum just for retirement issues

The problem with tagging posts is that you need to be knowledgeable about the subject, then determine how many categories it could possibly fit in. Also consider that every person has a different idea about what should be tagged. I don't see this as being efficient.

As Default User BR points out - we already have more than enough work to keep the threads in the few existing forums that we have. For example, asking about home repair in the Personal Finance forum.

What will work is to have clear thread title. For example: "Help with retirement" isn't clear, but "When should I take Social Security?" is clear.

I carefully did not state a solution, I just wanted to point out that there IS a problem. I was answering "What is the purpose?" Just because you don't like a solution doesn't mean there is no problem. Also, if something isn't a problem for some people doesn't mean it isn't a problem for other people. (I think that point was made above but I'll second it here.)

You actually allude to the problem with your statement underlined above. That's exactly the same problem as knowing what questions to ask and how to ask them (i.e. thread titles).

Reading the Wiki is something new/novice posters could do to help themselves but we know that is not what usually happens. Perhaps there are ways to make it happen more often.
No-one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it sometime you will see why. | -- Mignon McLaughlin
bertilak

Postby Default User BR » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:46 am

bertilak wrote:It's more a matter of knowing that there are questions that need asking.

It's also the case that a reasonably high percentage, probably a majority, read the messages from the main page instead of the forums index anyway. In that case, all the threads are lumped together with just a letter code to designated the forum. As Lady Geek said, a good title is more important.

Brian
Default User BR

Return to Forum Issues and Administration