Why am I getting a "not authorized" message?

Discussions about the forum and contents

Why am I getting a "not authorized" message?

Postby pkcrafter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:31 pm

I was doing a Google search and found a Boglehead entry I want to read, but I got a message that i was not authorized to read it. I was logged in at the time.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
pkcrafter

Re: Why am I getting a "not authorized" message?

Postby livesoft » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Message/thread was removed from public view. It was probably sequestered or deleted by a moderator.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby pkcrafter » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Ah, yes, sequestered, I've heard of that.

Thanks

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
pkcrafter

Postby LazyNihilist » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:40 am

livesoft wrote:Message/thread was removed from public view. It was probably sequestered or deleted by a moderator.

Aaah, interesting. If a thread is deleted, would google cache remove it later? Or would it forever be on Google's servers?
The only problem is Entropy, leading to the eventual heat death of the universe. [Seen on /.]
LazyNihilist

Postby Levett » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:45 am

Clearly Paul has flown into dangerous virtual space and must be on the alert for possible incoming from a drone of some sort. :wink:

Lev
Levett

Postby sscritic » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:50 am

I want to know how you hang around here long enough to make 6000 posts and never run into "not authorized." Paul must stay away from the political (including references to drones).
sscritic

Postby livesoft » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:56 am

Clearly, the Google bot is a moderator of the forum and is authorized to see those threads.
It's all about short-term opportunistic rebalancing due to a short-term change in one's asset allocation, uh, I mean opportunistic rebalancing, uh I mean rebalancing, uh I mean market timing.
livesoft

Postby Default User BR » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:02 pm

sscritic wrote:I want to know how you hang around here long enough to make 6000 posts and never run into "not authorized." Paul must stay away from the political (including references to drones).

That's what I was thinking. He's been here a bit longer than I have, and I've seen this numerous times.
Additionally, searching for "not authorized" would have turned up past threads on the subject, including one where the information was added to the FAQs.

Brian
Default User BR

Postby LadyGeek » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:20 pm

livesoft wrote:Clearly, the Google bot is a moderator of the forum and is authorized to see those threads.

No, it's due to the URL. Threads keep the same URL regardless of which forum they're in. The software tracks the forum internally. For example, View your posts shows which forum a thread is in. If it moves, and you are allowed to view it, you'll see the forum change.

Here's the direct link to the FAQ: "You are not authorized to read this forum."

The FAQ is on the top right corner of every forum page, to the right of the Forum Policy.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby grabiner » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:25 pm

LadyGeek wrote:No, it's due to the URL. Threads keep the same URL regardless of which forum they're in. The software tracks the forum internally.

And keeping the URL is necessary. If a thread is posted in the wrong forum and is moved, we don't want to break links to the thread in its old location.
David Grabiner
grabiner
Advisory Board

Return to Forum Issues and Administration