What the forum is missing... [ability to upvote posts]

Discussions about the forum and contents

Re: What the forum is missing... [ability to upvote posts]

Postby ddj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:10 am

MathWizard wrote:This forum is much better due to the lack of such mechanisms.

I have way too much respect for the people on this board to support a like or upvote/downvote button.

There is a free exchange of ideas, and good ideas abound.
If you have a favorite contributor, click on the screen-name and you can see all their posts
and you could then look through the discussions they have been involved in.

I agree. Here, I value conversations, polyphony, and gems, many of them quite apparent, some found and some yet hidden.
ddj

Postby inky » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:14 pm

I have often wished for an upvote button to be able to silently show my appreciation for a particular post. There are so many amazing gems posted here; I wonder if the posters often have any idea how many people they are impacting with their words. A count of "thumbs up" votes would give them some inkling, at least, and allow readers a chance to express their appreciation and gratitude.
inky

Postby gkaplan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:44 pm

inky wrote:I have often wished for an upvote button to be able to silently show my appreciation for a particular post. There are so many amazing gems posted here; I wonder if the posters often have any idea how many people they are impacting with their words. A count of "thumbs up" votes would give them some inkling, at least, and allow readers a chance to express their appreciation and gratitude.

Expressing in words speaks louder than clicking on a button. I can't believe this is an issue for people.
Gordon
gkaplan

Postby Sam I Am » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:23 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby inky » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:06 pm

gkaplan wrote:
inky wrote:I have often wished for an upvote button to be able to silently show my appreciation for a particular post. There are so many amazing gems posted here; I wonder if the posters often have any idea how many people they are impacting with their words. A count of "thumbs up" votes would give them some inkling, at least, and allow readers a chance to express their appreciation and gratitude.

Expressing in words speaks louder than clicking on a button. I can't believe this is an issue for people.

If everyone replied with a +1 who liked a particular post, the discussions would become clogged with such posts. The upvote button is a nice unobtrusive way to achieve the same objective. Why else would so many major sites have implemented it?
inky

Postby Alex Frakt » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:26 pm

inky wrote:
gkaplan wrote:

If everyone replied with a +1 who liked a particular post, the discussions would become clogged with such posts. The upvote button is a nice unobtrusive way to achieve the same objective. Why else would so many major sites have implemented it?

A +1 is not "expressing in words." They also aren't acceptable here, moderators may delete them without notice. The answer is a PM. Quoting myself from an earlier thread on this issue:
Alex Frakt wrote:
SoonerSunDevil wrote:So you'd rather posters who totally agree with a post say "Excellent point JackBogleFan123, I completely agree!" That takes up more bandwith than a +1. Hell, this entire thread is taking up more bandwith than a year's worth of +1 comments.

Actually I'd rather that posts that contain no actual information not be written in the first place. If you find a post to be that exceptional, you can always send the person who wrote it a PM telling them so. I'm sure they'll appreciate it and you won't be wasting the time of the 100s of people who get notice e-mails or click on an updated thread only to find nothing new.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Postby sscritic » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Alex Frakt wrote: The answer is a PM.

Amen to that (is that enough content?).

I send a PM when I particularly like a post, and sometime I receive the same.

Should I have written +1? No, and I won't now.
sscritic

Postby LazyNihilist » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:05 pm

I also think upvoting/+1'ing a post has to do with the mindset or previous experience of the poster in other forums.
If a poster is used to visiting a forum like reddit where you appreciate good posts by upvoting them, then they would feel doing the same here.
I myself am guilty of +1'ing a few posts here.

Upvotes have their benefits and drawbacks, but ultimately it's up to forum admins to decide which direction they want the discussions to go.
The only problem is Entropy, leading to the eventual heat death of the universe. [Seen on /.]
LazyNihilist

Postby rayout » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/

There's also subreddits on investing, frugality and financial independence. The level of expertise is nowhere near bogleheads though.
rayout

Postby grok87 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 pm

I thought this article might be of interest. It is not positive on "upvoting"!

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013 ... ng-systems

the guardian wrote:'Herd effect' skews online rating systems, study finds
People's tendency to 'like' what others like online may distort user ratings for comments, articles or products
grok, CFA | Danon delenda est
grok87

Postby LadyGeek » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:29 pm

This behavior also applies to investors. See: Behavioral pitfalls, under "Herd behavior"

Investing related comments can be posted here: Wiki - Emotions and Investing (new investors - read this)
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Forum Issues and Administration